• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN First] Dragon's Dogma 2 Sphynx Encounter

AREYOUOKAY?

They know what they're doing.

u3rLCrq.jpg

I know lots of people will really enjoy the game, but that combat looks objectively shit. Clunky, boring and imprecise. It has that sort of turgid drudgery of early
Monster Hunter titles.
You hit the nail on the head. It reminds me of PSP era Monster Hunter games.
I think you guys will enjoy sword and shield, dual swords, or daggers more:

(Start the video at 2:25 to see how much faster the moves are)

well, as much as i loved, & as often as i've replayed dragon's dogma, these trailers continue to do little to get me interested. it just all looks so damn familiar, which's obviously not surprising, i guess, but which just doesn't get me all that excited about exploring the 'new' world. maybe one game was enough for me? it's happened before. anyway, hoping for the best...
I can't fathom this point of view or take it seriously. You replayed the first game multiple times and loved it, but the new game that has a whole new country added to it, and maintains the look and feel of the original game doesn't do it for you, because it's too similar to the original game you loved and replayed?

Are you shit posting?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Her design seems unnecessary. I would be happy if there's an option to dress her up. How do I explain the situation to the people entering my room while playing? I can't play an excellent game like Dragon's Crown because of this. Damn you perverts.

I can't fathom this point of view or take it seriously. You replayed the first game multiple times and loved it, but the new game that has a whole new country added to it, and maintains the look and feel of the original game doesn't do it for you, because it's too similar to the original game you loved and replayed?

Are you shit posting?
short answer: no. i don't shitpost...

longer answer: haven't replayed the game for a few years now. ever consider that maybe i've just had my fill of dragon's dogma? maybe i just don't really need any more dragon's dogma? why would enjoying something imply that i'd enjoy new reiterations of it, always & forever? maybe if i were a six year old, i suppose...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
damn... I've bought every capcom game on steam probably. had some issues with re4 remake but usually their pc releases are excellent. Aside from HDR, it's a bit wonky to get running but it's nvidia problem.
Maybe this on will be good on ps5? dualsense + steelbook... mmmm

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Her design seems unnecessary. I would be happy if there's an option to dress her up. How do I explain the situation to the people entering my room while playing? I can't play an excellent game like Dragon's Crown because of this. Damn you perverts.
malenia-2nd-phase-flying.jpg

sendit

I’m rooting for this game, but I fear that if it doesn’t have combat that is as intuitive as the souls games, it may not gain the same traction as something like Elden Ring. It does look a little clunky, and archaic, from what little gameplay that I’ve seen. But that might be because buffoons have been playing it in the previews.
Souls games don’t have intuitive combat.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I know lots of people will really enjoy the game, but that combat looks objectively shit. Clunky, boring and imprecise. It has that sort of turgid drudgery of early
Monster Hunter titles.
You managed to deduce that from the 4 seconds of combat in the trailer? Very impressive.

SJRB

Gold Member

Unless you're like 12 years old and your parents walk in on you when this exact tiny segment of a 50+ hour game plays, why would you need to "explain the situation"?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
There are 105 Smurfs and only one of them is female.
Should we condemn bee hives too? At least she is properly dressed.

Unless you're like 12 years old and your parents walk in on you when this exact tiny segment of a 50+ hour game plays, why would you need to "explain the situation"?
It's hard to explain when you try to climb on a creature that fills the screen with its proportionally absurd tits and attack those tits while your religious wife and little daughter walk in.

NT80

Monster Hunter titles.
The combat, enemies/bosses and the ways you can tackle them were actually really good in the first game and I expect this game will improve on that further. The vids aren't doing a great job of selling the experience.

Killjoy-NL

Should we condemn bee hives too? At least she is properly dressed.

It's hard to explain when you try to climb on a creature that fills the screen with its proportionally absurd tits and attack those tits while your religious wife and little daughter walk in.
Then the problem is religion.

ssringo

Oh, another alpha male on internet.
Are you incapable of having a conversation with your spouse about something that might be a problem or do you just fret about it and do what they say?

No need to be alpha. Just an adult in a healthy relationship.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Are you incapable of having a conversation with your spouse about something that might be a problem or do you just fret about it and do what they say?

No need to be alpha. Just an adult in a healthy relationship.
It seems like you interpreted the "explanation to my wife" thing as a big deal. I just meant it would create a strange, awkward, and some kind of funny situation. It's not a big deal, it's just unnecessary. Like that bear sex thing in bg3, which is optional(I hope).

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Souls combat is stiff and requires overcommitment on every action you make and plays out more like SNK Boss Syndrome where one wrong move means you are probably dead. I'd rather games take note from Blade of Darkness when it comes to medieval combat. If Dragon's Dogma 2 should take notes from anywhere it's from Dragon's Dogma 1 and Dragon's Dogma Online and perfect what they already have instead of trying to be something that it's not. Which isn't a Dark Souls game.
Los Angeles Dodgers Kiss GIF by MLB

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
But seriously now, why do people want Dragon's Dogma to be something else it never was? Why not allow it to be what it wants to be?

Some people want it to be Dork Souls
Others want it to be Monster Hunter
Some want it to be Boring Cinematic Game #685065478

Any unique franchise was born out of the desire to do things differently. That's what keeps the industry healthy and creative.

People need to learn how to appreciate games for what they want to offer you.
Keep an open mind, for developers that want to go against the flock are few and far between.

Top Bottom