• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Madworld review - 9.0

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Jag22 said:
If that's true, I can't see the Mad World team being any larger than 35 or so people. It's probably why the game is so short.
It could be easily "solved" by making some more random areas with a bunch of enemies to kill. I'm glad they didn't go the filler route though.

markatisu

Jag22 said:
According to Wikipedia (not the best source of INFO). Platinum Games employees 85 people. If I'm not mistaken, the company is currently (Well, was anyway) working on 3 games.

If that's true, I can't see the Mad World team being any larger than 35 or so people. It's probably why the game is so short.

Do you even know the games they are making, one is a DS game and the other is a undated Q4ish PS3/360 game

MadWorld is their biggest game and their biggest chance for a paycheck, it most likely had the bulk of their employees working on it.

But wtf it sucks cause its short and all short games blow and should be $9.99

I think thats the repeated message throughout this thread, I will have to remember that when we get another Heavenly Sword game that is $60 and last about 3hrs

Jag22

Banned
markatisu said:
Do you even know the games they are making, one is a DS game and the other is a undated Q4ish PS3/360 game

MadWorld is their biggest game and their biggest chance for a paycheck, it most likely had the bulk of their employees working on it.

But wtf it sucks cause its short and all short games blow and should be $9.99

I think thats the repeated message throughout this thread, I will have to remember that when we get another Heavenly Sword game that is $60 and last about 3hrs

I'm pretty sure Bayonetta is using the bulk of their employees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonetta

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jag22 said:
According to Wikipedia (not the best source of INFO). Platinum Games employees 85 people. If I'm not mistaken, the company is currently (Well, was anyway) working on 3 games.

Dev companies don't just split up teams like that. Employees will go from one project to the next very easily depending on the various stages of development that each game is on. MadWorld, since it's coming out first, probably had the attention of most of PG for the past year or so. Most of them are probably now working on Bayonetta since it's next. And Mikami's next project probably only has a very small team working on it since we've seen almost nothing from it yet. I doubt that the maximum number of people on the team was 35, probably closer to 50 or 60.

And hey, 85 people still doesn't count everybody that could possibly have worked on the game. What about voice actors and Sega's marketing team?

botticus

Jag22 said:
From what I've read about the game it's from a very small developer. So I'm just taking a guess on what I read, and what a game like No More Heroes cost to make.
Ah, so we should expect Bayonetta to retail for no more than $40.

markatisu

ZealousD said:
I'm pretty sure Bayonetta is using the bulk of their employees..

You honest to god believe a game nobody has really seen, that has a date of 2009 and little to no hype had the bulk of developers instead of a game Platinum Games was pushing in early 2008 with no publisher in order to get the game released?

And hey, 85 people still doesn't count everybody that could possibly have worked on the game. What about voice actors and Sega's marketing team?

Naw, those ads we see in print and all over USA, Sci Fi and Spike were all done for free and the networks were so nice the expensive primetime airtime was also free

JudgeN

Damn no one defended Heavenly sword 5 hours of gameplay.

O well I'm give it a rent or wait for a massive price drop.

aeolist

Banned
botticus said:
Ah, so we should expect Bayonetta to retail for no more than $40.
It's running at a higher resolution so that justifies the $59.99 regular version and $69.99 collector's edition that comes with commemorative pencil boards.

Jag22

Banned
JudgeN said:

O well I'm give it a rent or wait for a massive price drop.
I'm sure Mad World is much better than Heavenly Sword.

Heavenly Sword just felt like a tech demo. Still my worst PS3 game purchase.

v1cious

Banned
Chozo said:
THIS JUST IN: GAMES WHERE THE PUBLISHER HOPES AN UNKNOWN IP WILL SELL GANGBUSTERS EXCLUSIVELY ON INTERNET HYPE DO NOT BREAK SEVEN FIGURE SALES NEWS AT 11

cause Bioshock and Assasin's Creed certainly didn't sell millions

I loved No More Heroes, but it really is a crappy example for "Wii owners don't buy 3rd party games".

well then give me a good example, cause i can't even think of one since launch. the fact of the matter. the fact is developers are going to move on if they continue to see no profit on their games.

botticus

aeolist said:
It's running at a higher resolution so that justifies the $59.99 regular version and $69.99 collector's edition that comes with commemorative pencil boards.
No no, the higher resolution is what lifts it above the dregs of $30 games like MadWorld.

ZealousD

JudgeN said:

Did Heavenly Sword have the kind of hard mode that MadWorld has?

Not to mention that Heavenly Sword wasn't even nearly as awesome as MadWorld is.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
v1cious said:
the fact is developers are going to move on if they continue to see no profit on their games.
So you agree that HD development is gonna dry up as 3rd parties are totally struggling to make any kind of profit at the moment.

v1cious

Banned
poppabk said:
So you agree that HD development is gonna dry up as 3rd parties are totally struggling to make any kind of profit at the moment.

no it's more like we'll get better titles, since they'll keep serving you crappy ports and carnie games as they see you're not interested in quality. Console Darwinism if you will. remember Suda51 even said his next game will be aimed at "core" consoles.

Dascu

v1cious said:
no it's more like we'll get better titles, since they'll keep serving you crappy ports and carnie games, as they see you don't buy quality games. Console Darwinism if you will. remember Suda51 even said his next game will be aimed at "core" consoles.
1. Uh, never heard that before. Source?
2. Is that why it's also coming out on the Wii?

Dascu

Jag22 said:

Well, Mikami's game is probably being co-developed with his own studio, Straight Story. As for Infinite Line, that's probably being co-developed with Nudemaker.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jimmy Stav said:
I'd really like to get this game, but I have a feeling I'm going to get No More Heroes'd again.

What does this mean? Just cause they they are violent and have cel shaded graphics?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ZealousD said:
Did Heavenly Sword have the kind of hard mode that MadWorld has?

Not to mention that Heavenly Sword wasn't even nearly as awesome as MadWorld is.

Uh, yes. I do believe Heavenly Sword had harder difficulty levels.

This forum just likes to pick and choose what to defend and support. <shrugs>

v1cious said:
Console Darwinism if you will. remember Suda51 even said his next game will be aimed at "core" consoles.
uh

You're going to have to tell us what this game is because near as I can tell all his major upcoming projects are Nintendo games

The biggest game on his plate is a sequel to the game you keep dismissing as a failure

meppi

After this thread and the ExciteBots one, I'm not even sure why I keep coming back here...

That being said, I've pre-ordered 3 copies of Madworld myself. No joke.

*edit* Holy shit and I didn't see the "Why Sony Is Surpassing Nintendo In Game Development" thread yet. :lol

MadWorld is a third-party exclusive for the Wii that's aimed at "hardcore" gamers and is getting excellent reviews. I should have known that this thread would be full of hate.

A lot of people in this thread are acting as though the resolution a game runs at is more important than its gameplay or overall design. Others are debating the length of the game without taking the genre and replay value into consideration. And, naturally, you have the usual "Wii games shouldn't be full price" comments thrown in for good measure. I'm not suggesting that the game doesn't have any flaws, but I find it hilarious how a game can get a 9.0 and people still feel the need to shine a spotlight on negative aspects about the game. IGN's review of the game was overwhelmingly positive. Why is this thread so negative?

markatisu

Coolio McAwesome said:
Why is this thread so negative?

Because in the world of GAF good 3rd party Wii games do not exist, if they do they have a load of strings attached that could make them so much better

Those include the shoulda's of online co-op, DLC, higher resolution, longer playtime, and cheaper price

Oh yeah and the shoulda been on PS3/360 aka should be in HD

Slathe

markatisu said:
Because in the world of GAF good 3rd party Wii games do not exist, if they do they have a load of strings attached that could make them so much better

Those include the shoulda's of online co-op, DLC, higher resolution, longer playtime, and cheaper price

Oh yeah and the shoulda been on PS3/360 aka should be in HD

Isn't it more accurate to say that in the world of gaf no good games exist, because no matter what game / platform / developer, threads always devolve into fights between avid defenders and rabid attackers?

ZealousD

Kintaro said:
Uh, yes. I do believe Heavenly Sword had harder difficulty levels.

I said kind of hard mode. MadWorld is suppose to have a very specifically tuned hard mode, isn't it? Does the hard mode in Heavenly Sword just play with some numbers like make enemies hit harder or is it like in MadWorld where the AI for enemies change?

Pojo

Banned
I recently beat No More Heroes and I am currently punching my way through God Hand. If it's as long as those, which get praised fairly often, who cares? This game looks like a carbon copy of NMH with a decent level of polish and more variety in the gameplay.

Beat-em-ups have always been like this. Short bursts of bloody excess that would get stale if they tried to stick in filler content. I don't even put DMC and Ninja Gaiden in the same genre, those games have too much platforming/puzzle bullshit.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ZealousD said:
I said kind of hard mode. MadWorld is suppose to have a very specifically tuned hard mode, isn't it? Does the hard mode in Heavenly Sword just play with some numbers like make enemies hit harder or is it like in MadWorld where the AI for enemies change?

IIRC with my playthroughs on Heavenly Sword's hardest difficulty level, the AI is much more aggressive and demanded better timing in switching stances (whatever it was called). Dunno about the number or mobs hitting harder and what not. i'm sure they did, just like they will in Madworld. Hell, the Eurogamer review said the game started getting cheap the farther you went with no mention of hard mode.

<shrug> Should still be fun though unless it's overly cheap.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
what's with the vicious squirrel in this thread? out of nuts? or butthurt from the fact mad world is not on his console of choice? we may never know..

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I just watched the video review. Why the hell does Dan Casserole always, ALWAYS want online leaderboards in all his games? Seriously. The guy would want them implemented in Harvest Moon next, I bet.

Busaiku

I think it's pretty valid for this.
I mean you're trying to rack up high scores with the various kills.
It's not that crazy to want something to compare yourself with others in that regard.

I'm so glad this game is short. I don't have time to finish long games anymore. And when games are longer, they're normally almost half boring filler. I don't know what everyone is bitching about.

Nos_G

Just picked up my copy of Madworld. I was going in the store to leave my name&number for a copy of ResEvil 5 and Madworld.

The retailer had it and asked if I wanted it, then and there... W00t!!

Booting up now. :D

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Busaiku said:
It's not that crazy to want something to compare yourself with others in that regard.
Yeah it seems like such a simple thing to implement for a score driven game (especially an M rated one that doesn't have to worry about MvthaFvcka being top of the leaderboard) that its absence seems strange. I mean doesn't Sonic and the Black Knight have them? They were noticeably absent in HOTD:Overkill as well, but are present in Ghost Squad.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Busaiku said:

Well that's valid, it's just that anytime Matt reviews a game it just HAS to be a hardcore title that HAS to have online leaderboards, or online co-op, or anything that the typical forum poster would beg for in each thread. He might as well get it tattoo'd on his forehead whenever he heads off to interview Wii developers to save himself the mouthwork, then sticky tape a bunch of foam arms to his back which all point to this tattoo, so he looks like a giant journalistic brand-spider walking around letting people know what he's inevitably going to say on the video review of their game.

Jammy

Banned
God damn. Your typical person won't be able to tell shit between 480i and 480p, and please, do not add co-op to a game just to say it's there. RE5 is the worst offender of this. They wanted to westernize the franchise and make it more appealing to the 360 userbase and now the game suffers from shitty single-player partner AI, linearity, and a loss of "RE-ness".

Alex

Heavenly Sword being a complete pile of fucking shit probably didn't help in the criticism it got.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Alex said:
Heavenly Sword being a complete pile of fucking shit probably didn't help in the criticism it got.

I liked it :( You guys act like that game is X-Blades or something...

Ramenman

Still on the fence on this one. I love the art style though.

I'm kinda sad about no 480p. I'm no graphix whorez, it's just that with no 480p, I'll have to play it on my shitty grandgrandgrandgrandgrandmother's TV which sucks given that the game is a looker :/

"Anybody who says Nintendo's console is just for kids will see things very differently after a few chainsaw- induced mutilations."

O RLY NAO THATS AN UNEXPECTED CONSEQUENCE :O

Top Bottom