• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Phil Spencer on The Future of Xbox, including Game Pass, Xbox Games Studios and Project Scarlett.

Psykodad

Banned
You didn't answer my question. How does taking away choice benefit them?
Because I'm certain that if next-gen won't go well, they'll quit making consoles and become a 3rd party publisher.
Which makes most sense for them to do.

It isn't so much that taking away choice benefits them, they are likely to use next-gen as a means to make a final decision.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Because I'm certain that if next-gen won't go well, they'll quit making consoles and become a 3rd party publisher.

It isn't so much that taking away choice benefits them, they are likely to use next-gen as a means to make a final decision.
How would taking away choice benefit the next console?

ManaByte

Gold Member

I really don't think you have even the slightest understanding of what Xbox under Phil Spencer looks like. The console itself isn't the driving force. It's just another device and another way for you to access your entire game library.

Psykodad

Banned
How would taking away choice benefit the next console?
The console after Scarlett?

I don't expect one, so there wouldn't be a choice.

I really don't think you have even the slightest understanding of what Xbox under Phil Spencer looks like. The console itself isn't the driving force. It's just another device and another way for you to access your entire game library.

I know, that"s why I expect them to quit making consoles after next-gen.

Thought I made that clear already.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

No, you said:

they'll quit making consoles and become a 3rd party publisher.

Microsoft isn't SEGA where they're hemorrhaging money. And no amount of system warrior fantasizing on a gaming forum will make that a reality.

Psykodad

Banned
MS isn't investing billions into a new console and streaming tech just to throw it all away. They aren't Stadia.
It isn't strange for a multinational to invest in one of their daughter companies or division, knowing they will shut them down anyway.

Especially not when talking about multinationals with pockets as deep as MS.

No, you said:
Microsoft isn't SEGA where they're hemorrhaging money. And no amount of system warrior fantasizing on a gaming forum will make that a reality.
The way I see it, they're gearing up to actually do just that.
And I'm definitely not alone in this.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

No. Again idk what you're arguing. You aren't being clear. How does taking away choice benefit Microsoft with XSX? Why would they try a similar strategy to the one as you're suggesting they will?

Psykodad

Banned
No. Again idk what you're arguing. You aren't being clear. How does taking away choice benefit Microsoft with XSX? Why would they try a similar strategy to the one as you're suggesting they will?
What are you talking about?
You'll have your choice with XSX, I was already talking about the gen after XSX as I was assuming that was what you were asking about.

Show us on the doll where MS hurt you.

I actually don't care about MS. I'll never have to deal with Xbox in rl.

But this is a forum, so I feel like posting anyway.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
You'll have your choice with XSX, I was already talking about the gen after XSX as I was assuming that was what you were asking about.

I seem to remember people like you saying there wouldn't be an Xbox after the Xbox One and that MS would go third party so you could play all those games they don't have that you don't want on your PS5. Yet here we are.

I'm sure it'll repeat again when MS is revealing the Xbox after the Series X.

Psykodad

Banned
I seem to remember people like you saying there wouldn't be an Xbox after the Xbox One and that MS would go third party so you could play all those games they don't have that you don't want on your PS5. Yet here we are.

Dunno, I personally said that either this gen or next-gen would be their last, so we'll still have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I actually don't care about MS. I'll never have to deal with Xbox in rl.

But this is a forum, so I feel like posting anyway.
I guess I still don't get your argument. Let's say this Gen doesn't work out, why would Microsoft go back to a strategy that killed them?

Psykodad

Banned
I guess I still don't get your argument. Let's say this Gen doesn't work out, why would Microsoft go back to a strategy that killed them?
I think them becoming a 3rd party publisher like EA and Activision would be more beneficial to them.
So not sure where you're going with your question.

Psykodad

Banned
Why when they have no games, like everyone falsely claims.
People complain about quality games and exclusives. But since they're releasing and allowing their games on other systems, better go all the way.

You're here long enough to know what people complain about. Come on now.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
It's funny how they want them to stop making consoles and go third party, but they pretend like MS doesn't have any games they want to play. If they don't have games you want, then why do you want them third party?
If you were referring to me, I don't care what MS does.
But I already said that.

Why do you care what other people say if you enjoy xbox and their games?

quest

Not Banned from OT
The amount of crap people spew in these threads is laughable. Xbox isn't going anywhere.
More Hope's and dreams of the Sony monopoly. They got Nintendo out of the home console into hand held game. Now they are hoping to get Microsoft out of the way.

I think them becoming a 3rd party publisher like EA and Activision would be more beneficial to them.
So not sure where you're going with your question.
No it does not gamepass and the current model goes tits up with out the hardware. With out gold and full revenues on xbox and PC it is not viable. If they are paying Nintendo and Sony 30% plus other developers to fill out the catalog and their studios it is a money pit. If hardware was meaningless to them they would ditch it but they are not.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
People complain about quality games and exclusives. But since they're releasing and allowing their games on other systems, better go all the way.

You're here long enough to know what people complain about. Come on now.

Going all out would result in them not having control over a lot of things and losing 30 percent or higher. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Psykodad

Banned
You guys are just feeding a troll, its clear at this point, just let him be with his conspiracy nonsense
The same thing was being said when people said MS royally screwed up this gen before Xbone released, going as far as accusing Sony of planning the same.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
No, does that matter?
Can't have a discussion?
Matters because it's the same bullshit people said to Nintendo, even in the Wii days, that they sell like bananas.

Xbox don't sell as well the others, but still makes profit and makes a difference in the market, so it's a good thing that they exist as a first party in the business. Also, they're probably the most open minded anyway, selling some of their games on other plataforms, and people still have a choice to have a PC and they get that sweet money of that

quest

Not Banned from OT
No, does that matter?
Can't have a discussion?
They don't sell enough games or release a enough games to be a successful 3rd party developer. Gamespass only works for a hardware maker who gets full revenue from subs as I explained above. No point in the discussion right now they are in rough shape as publisher as everyone likes to throw in their face hourly. In 5 years if they properly grow the newly purchased studios it could be a discussion but now it is not.

Psykodad

Banned
Matters because it's the same bullshit people said to Nintendo, even in the Wii days, that they sell like bananas.

Xbox don't sell as well the others, but still makes profit and makes a difference in the market, so it's a good thing that they exist as a first party in the business. Also, they're probably the most open minded anyway, selling some of their games on other plataforms, and people still have a choice to have a PC and they get that sweet money of that
They were right about WiiU.

Wii was an out of the blue success, but it was also the least used console out of the three.

But Nintendo had already realized they needed to take a different approach back when they released the Wii by aiming for a different demographic than Sony/MS and it paid off.
Nintendo also makes quality games and has enough exclusives to be relevant.
Nintendo isn't comparable to Xbox, at all.

Xbox isn't the most open-minded, they need to move away from just consoles to stay relevant as a gaming company.
360 was a lucky strike because they pushed a flawed console with about a 50% failure rate (or what was it?) a year ahead of PS3 and they were lucky Sony messed up their PS3 launch.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
They were right about WiiU.

Wii was an out of the blue success, but it was also the least used console out of the three.

But Nintendo had already realized they needed to take a different approach back when they released the Wii by aiming for a different demographic than Sony/MS and it paid off.
Nintendo also makes quality games and has enough exclusives to be relevant.
Nintendo isn't comparable to Xbox, at all.

Xbox isn't the most open-minded, they need to move away from just consoles to stay relevant as a gaming company.
360 was a lucky strike because they pushed a flawed console with about a 50% failure rate (or what was it?) a year ahead of PS3 and they were lucky Sony messed up their PS3 launch.

You mean like Sony? Sony has been looking for other sources of revenue through the playstation platform this entire generation. PS Now, Vue, music, movies.

Psykodad

Banned
You mean like Sony? Sony has been looking for other sources of revenue through the playstation platform this entire generation. PS Now, Vue, music, movies.
Ofcourse, but we're talking about Playstation, not Sony as a whole.
Nor are we talking about MS as a whole, but just Xbox.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ofcourse, but we're talking about Playstation, not Sony as a whole.
Nor are we talking about MS as a whole, but just Xbox.

You can't remove the brand from their owners...They are one in the same. The products are directly designed to take advantage of the companies entire infrastructure and not exist in a bubble.

Psykodad

Banned
You can't remove the brand from their owners...They are one in the same. The products are directly designed to take advantage of the companies entire infrastructure and not exist in a bubble.
Fine, obviously they look for more revenues.
I'm just saying Xbox consoles have become redundant, even more so with GamePass/xCloud.

I just wouldn't be surprised if MS truly will strive to become the Netflix of gaming and won't release a console after next-gen if XSX will be a failure again (which I don' t doubt).

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Fine, obviously they look for more revenues.
I'm just saying Xbox consoles have become redundant, even more so with GamePass/xCloud.

I just wouldn't be surprised if MS truly will strive to become the Netflix of gaming and won't release a console after next-gen if XSX will be a failure again (which I don' t doubt).

Redundant how? People need a box to play gamepasson. As well as Xcloud. Not everyone wants to game on their phone or PC.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Redundant how? People need a box to play gamepads on. As well as Xcloud. Not everyone wants to game on their phone or PC.
Isn't the ultimate goal to be able to stream to any device?
All you basically need is a smart tv.

Or you can hook up your smartphone or laptop to your tv.
If xCloud takes off, there is no need for an xbox console.
And there are already less reasons as is.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Isn't the ultimate goal to be able to stream to any device?
All you basically need is a smart tv.

Or you can hook up your smartphone or laptop to your tv.
If xCloud takes off, there is no need for an xbox console.
And there are already less reasons as is.

Microsoft themselves have stated many times that xCloud isn't a replacement. Its just an option. The box is still extremely important. Look at Stadia. The market has spoken that when it comes to playing games on a big screen we aren't ready for and/or don't want it to be streaming.

Psykodad

Banned
Microsoft themselves have stated many times that xCloud isn't a replacement. Its just an option. The box is still extremely important. Look at Stadia. The market has spoken that when it comes to playing games on a big screen we aren't ready for and/or don't want it to be streaming.
Ofcourse, they still need to sell XSX.
I'm talking post-nextgen.

Like I said, I personally expect nextgen to be a transitional phase with their last console if it a bomb again.

Doesn't make me an analyst or whatever, it's just the POV of a random gaming enthusiast on the internet.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Like I said, I personally expect nextgen to be a transitional phase with their last console if it a bomb again.

Doesn't make me an analyst or whatever, it's just the POV of a random gaming enthusiast on the internet.

Im simply trying to understand it and debate. Why would they transition from something that clearly would go against what their consumers are stating they want?

Mochilador

Here we go again. :messenger_ogre:

Im simply trying to understand it and debate. Why would they transition from something that clearly would go against what their consumers are stating they want?
Consumers currently want Minecraft, microsoft's biggest game. And currently Minecraft as an IP is multiplatform and likely always will be. So Microsoft always have to struggle to wonder why they should keep spending money designing, building and selling consoles, if their biggest game isn't exclusive to it.

Psykodad

Banned
Because they're getting their ass handed to them big time and they're losing customers (in the hardware department), even though a lot of xbox fans still deny this.

I don't see what's difficult about understanding that and I'm honestly growing tired of repeating myself.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Spencer’s given great interviews for four years or so, while the division has floundered. I don’t want to hear any more, it’s time to show me the goods. The time for talk has passed.
He was given a stinky shit sandwich. Let him press the reset button with Scarlett and see what happens before you judge.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Because they're getting their ass handed to them big time and they're losing customers (in the hardware department), even though a lot of xbox fans still deny this.

I don't see what's difficult about understanding that and I'm honestly growing tired of repeating myself.
Its not that you are repeating yourself, you come off as you aren't listening.

There are some people here who fight for Microsoft till they day they die, but most of us are not oblivious to the fact that Microsoft is getting their asses handed to them on a console front. But...that mentality of if you're not first your last is silly. Microsoft still sold 40 million plus (probably closer to 50 million now) Xbox Ones. Thats with a generation of starting out at a huge disadvantage.

They have doubled down on studio acquisitions and powerful hardware. The word of mouth has changed from Xbox being a joke to being a major player. XOX owners are very happy. Game Pass subscribers are very happy. The potential of studio acquisitions is very exiting.

But yet you think they want to get out of consoles? It doesn't add up. And you don't give any real arguments except Sony sells better. So because the competition sells more boxes Microsoft should stop selling boxes? The wii sold more than the ps3 and xbox 360. Does that mean Sony and Microsoft should stop selling boxes?

The gaming landscape has changed and while amount of consoles is still important its not the defining factor of end all be all like it used to be with the addition of additional revenue sources.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Consumers currently want Minecraft, microsoft's biggest game. And currently Minecraft as an IP is multiplatform and likely always will be. So Microsoft always have to struggle to wonder why they should keep spending money designing, building and selling consoles, if their biggest game isn't exclusive to it.

Thats one game in their portfolio that they didn't even make. Its the exception not the rule. If every game was as big as Minecraft sure they should start wondering but that's not the way this industry works. Not having your own platform to sell products on means you start taking huge cuts. anywhere from 30 percent or more.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

yep it’s been the same shitshow from these people for years and years regarding MS, just throwing shit at the wall again and again hoping one day they’ll be right about them.

Psykodad

Banned
Its not that you are repeating yourself, you come off as you aren't listening.

There are some people here who fight for Microsoft till they day they die, but most of us are not oblivious to the fact that Microsoft is getting their asses handed to them on a console front. But...that mentality of if you're not first your last is silly. Microsoft still sold 40 million plus (probably closer to 50 million now) Xbox Ones. Thats with a generation of starting out at a huge disadvantage.

They have doubled down on studio acquisitions and powerful hardware. The word of mouth has changed from Xbox being a joke to being a major player. XOX owners are very happy. Gamepads subscribers are very happy. The potential of studio acquisitions is very exiting.

But yet you think they want to get out of consoles? It doesn't add up. And you don't give any real arguments except Sony sells better. So because the competition sells more boxes Microsoft should stop selling boxes? The wii sold more than the ps3 and xbox 360. Does that mean Sony and Microsoft should stop selling boxes?

What I've been saying, is that the way I see it, they've been preparing to get out as console manufactorer and gearing up to truly become the Netflix of gaming.
I honestly believe those are very carefully chosen words.

Added to that, XSX will be the make it or break it gen as far as consoles.

Them acquiring new studios doesn't negate what I said above.

And just like you say here:
The gaming landscape has changed and while amount of consoles is still important its not the defining factor of end all be all like it used to be with the addition of additional revenue sources.

It's a double-edged sword.
If XSX sales will be bad as well and xCloud and GamePass will really take off, why wouldn't they cut their consoles and focus on streaming?

Like I've said, that would fall in line with Mattrick's original Xbone vision and even after MS' 180 and departure of Mattrick, MS has always stood behind those plans.
With streaming they can still push their OG Xbone plans on a software-level.
Even add all those tv and sports nonsense deals to make their services even more attractive to the average consumer.

They could even expand to streaming on PlayStation consoles like Netflix.
No doubt they could work out a deal for something like that.

I don't think that's farfetched at all.

So it's not that I'm not listening, I just don"t see things like you do.

yep it’s been the same shitshow from these people for years and years regarding MS, just throwing shit at the wall again and again hoping one day they’ll be right about them.

Don't worry, I don't need to be right. I don't care actually.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What I've been saying, is that the way I see it, they've been preparing to get out as console manufactorer and gearing up to truly become the Netflix of gaming.
I honestly believe those are very carefully chosen words.

Added to that, XSX will be the make it or break it gen as far as consoles.

Them acquiring new studios doesn't negate what I said above.

And just like you say here:

It's a double-edged sword.
If XSX sales will be bad as well and xCloud and GamePass will really take off, why wouldn't they cut their consoles and focus on streaming?

Like I've said, that would fall in line with Mattrick's original Xbone vision and even after MS' 180 and departure of Mattrick, MS has always stood behind those plans.
With streaming they can still push their OG Xbone plans on a software-level.
Even add all those tv and sports nonsense deals to make their services even more attractive to the average consumer.

They could even expand to streaming on PlayStation consoles like Netflix.
No doubt they could work out a deal for something like that.

I don't think that's farfetched at all.

So it's not that I'm not listening, I just don"t see things like you do.

I think where we don't see eye to eye is sales on their boxes being more than fine. Unless XSX sells 15-20 million TOTAL I don't see any reason to get out of the console business. But I don't see the XSX doing worse than Xbox One in any capacity.

Acquiring new studios doesn't make a lot of sense if they are going to push streaming. Comparing to Netflix just isn't the same. Its a different type of entertainment that requires input and that will never be solved in the near future. Game Pass can't take off with only being on streaming imo. The hardcore crowd won't stay subscribed for streaming.

Top Bottom