• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Owned Xbox Games to be playable on xCloud starting in 2024 (Rumor)

Draugoth

Gold Member
When asked at the official Xbox Discord Server about playing owned Xbox Games on xCloud, Phil Spencer (P3) replied they wwill introduyce this in 2024:

20240218-112639.jpg

Source

ManaByte

Gold Member
When asked at the official Xbox Discord Server about playing owned Xbox Games on xCloud, Phil Spencer (P3) replied they wwill introduyce this in 2024:

20240218-112639.jpg

Source

You realize how easy it is to fake a DM on Discord (and Twitter), right? All someone has to do is change their display name and profile picture.

Kuranghi

I still shudder at the time I tried to play R&C: Into The Nexus on PS Now, I can accept its blurry but is it less laggy nowadays?

I think that game already had pretty bad input lag locally due to the way they achieved their 30fps lock, with streaming lag it was horrible.

Trash Panic felt decent last time I played that though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I still shudder at the time I tried to play R&C: Into The Nexus on PS Now, I can accept its blurry but is it less laggy nowadays?

I think that game already had pretty bad input lag locally due to the way they achieved their 30fps lock, with streaming lag it was horrible.

Trash Panic felt decent last time I played that though.

In 2022 the only access to games I had for 3 months was Game Pass cloud and GeForce Now. Even on shitty hotel internet I was still able to play through the entire Halo Infinite Winter Update fine.

Quasicat

I’ve been waiting for this since they first brought it up in 2020. Even then they said it would be select titles due to licensing agreements. I’m still hoping, but I’m not holding my breath.

The ability stream your entire console library without the console should be celebrated, is instead dismissed as a useless feature.

This is future-proofing, they know it's not the most viable way of playing games hence why xCloud is still in beta. They will be miles ahead of everyone else when streaming becomes more mainstream in the next 10-15 years.

EnergyStar

Neo Member
Those are streaming only on a PS5 though. XCloud works on web browsers so you can stream from anywhere.
I hope that in the future it will be possible to stream games at least on Portal. Sony could also stream games on PC if they wanted to. The Gaikai they bought could do it. But there are probably some internal political reasons why it can't be done. Maybe (or rather definitely) in the future.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I hope that in the future it will be possible to stream games at least on Portal. Sony could also stream games on PC if they wanted to. The Gaikai they bought could do it. But there are probably some internal political reasons why it can't be done. Maybe (or rather definitely) in the future.

Games are licensed to run on the game console, which is probably why you can only stream your PS5 library on the PS5. Sony would need to do what MS has been doing for the past 4 years and update the licensing to allow the games to be played on any device and not just the console they were purchased on. That's why it's taken so long for XCloud to give you access to your library remotely.

Blood Borne

anyone know how this would work?

Perhaps if you bought the game digitally via their store then it sort of makes sense, but for physical owned games, how would this work?

DaGwaphics

anyone know how this would work?

Perhaps if you bought the game digitally via their store then it sort of makes sense, but for physical owned games, how would this work?

It doesn't seem like it could work with physical games, tbh. I guess if your Xbox was set to be accessed remotely they could do the verification from there and then flip you over to Xcloud. Seems like a digital only thing though.

DryvBy

That actually adds some value to your Xbox game collection. Really should have been done sooner.

I'm kind of shocked it isn't. Most of my owned PS games have a streaming option. Not away from home though but it's nice when you're out of room and want to play some old crap.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The ability stream your entire console library without the console should be celebrated, is instead dismissed as a useless feature.

This is future-proofing, they know it's not the most viable way of playing games hence why xCloud is still in beta. They will be miles ahead of everyone else when streaming becomes more mainstream in the next 10-15 years.
You do realize you can already stream games you own on PS5, right? It was introduced sometime last year.

And those thinking its a waste, it can help with not waiting for downloads or using storage to play a quick game of something you dont have installed. I havent been able to test yet on PS5, but imagine streaming a game you just bought while waiting for it to download. Thats a nice QoL feature.

It does work for games that can be streamed, not sure about a just purchased game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

“I’m always at home and never travel” is quite the flex indeed.

Bravo
Travel is not it for me. I’m swapping out my XSX to a living room PC this year, being able to keep playing 20 years of Xbox investments through the cloud would make that swap so much easier. Assuming it’s OG, 360, One and Series.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
If the alternative is not playing at all, streaming is better.
Not sure if this is warz extension or just lack of imagination, but some of these takes are really bizarre.
I'm quite consistent when shitting on streaming no matter who pushes. It just so happens one group pushes a lot more than the other.

I can find other things to do if I don't have access to native games. Or I can play on a laptop or a steam deck. It's really the case of a non existent problem for the vast majority of people.

Sleepwalker

GFN.png

ManaByte

Gold Member

When I was travelling for 3 months in 2022 I used both. GeForce Now is even more dependent a good connection than XCloud. There were times on shit hotel internet I couldn't get GeForce Now to load anything, when XCloud was working fine.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm quite consistent when shitting on streaming no matter who pushes. It just so happens one group pushes a lot more than the other.

Native is a better experience than cloud streaming, undeniably. But Series X consoles aren’t that portable. And this option allows you to play your games remotely.

I can find other things to do if I don't have access to native games. Or I can play on a laptop or a steam deck. It's really the case of a non existent problem for the vast majority of people.

The vast majority of people are unable to play their entire library of Xbox games outside their houses, don’t have a Steam deck or don’t have their library natively available on PC.

Looks like you’re projecting

Topher

Gold Member
When I was travelling for 3 months in 2022 I used both. GeForce Now is even more dependent a good connection than XCloud. There were times on shit hotel internet I couldn't get GeForce Now to load anything, when XCloud was working fine.

Doesn't really mean much when Geforce Now is widely regarded as having the best cloud service. In any case the experience is going to be dependent on your distance to the data center.

Fredrik

Geforce Now is great but it can’t handle the load on popular releases. I sat in a queue and waited to play Cyberpunk. Not acceptable.

Topher

Gold Member
Geforce Now is great but it can’t handle the load on popular releases. I sat in a queue and waited to play Cyberpunk. Not acceptable.

I use xcloud on a regular basis for Rewards points and sitting in a queue is not uncommon at peak times of the day regardless of new game releases.

Here's an extreme example. My wait time has never been this long. Maybe 15 minutes.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Cool, I suppose.

Guess that's one less worry for Xbox fans, should Xbox ever decide to pull the plug on hardware.
Then they'll still be able to play their games library against a sub fee.

Ozriel

M$FT
Cool, I suppose.

Guess that's one less worry for Xbox fans, should Xbox ever decide to pull the plug on hardware.
Then they'll still be able to play their games library against a sub fee.

If Xbox pulls out of hardware that action would brick all the consoles sold? 🤡

Fredrik

I use xcloud on a regular basis for Rewards points and sitting in a queue is not uncommon at peak times of the day regardless of new game releases.

Here's an extreme example. My wait time has never been this long. Maybe 15 minutes.

I didn’t clock my queue time but it was unacceptable, especially since I had the founders sub which was supposed to erase queues.

But Geforce Now have great streaming once you’re up and running, very little latency in my area, iirc the ping check said like 15ms, almost feels like native.

Not a popular opinion but Stadia was awesome, no queues, probably because everybody thought it was shit besides me. I played through the complete new Tomb Raider trilogy. 60fps. Zero issues. It just worked. Best streaming experience when it comes to general functionality with queues and UI etc. Had very little latency at my place as well.

Top Bottom