• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Stellar Blade has racist artwork which will be removed with the day one patch

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You're intentionally missing the point here. It's just not something that would be seen as problematic back then. If someone would've noticed it during development, they would have shrugged it off... most likely.

I'm not missing the point. Back in 2004, information didn't get around fast enough to cause a stir. Now information can travel around the globe and back in minutes. Keeping it in wasn't worth the potential hassle. Especially when it probably wasn't trying to be cheeky or cute in the first place. Probably just some randomized art work placed on a wall.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Tell me people thinks everyone in the world should act like Americans without telling me everyone in the world should start thinking like Americans.

How the fuck is anyone from outside of the NA would able to tell this is supposed to be considered a racial slur equivalent to n word?

Most Americans wouldn't have caught it either to be honest.

platina

Tell me people thinks everyone in the world should act like Americans without telling me everyone in the world should start thinking like Americans.

How the fuck is anyone from outside of the NA would able to tell this is supposed to be considered a racial slur equivalent to n word?
Because it’s IGN and since the developers embarrassed them last time this is their “gotcha!” Moment lmaooo. I bet they’re snooping through the game with a fine tooth comb

Alebrije

WTF I’m American and I didn’t even know this was a thing until I read this thread.
Well just imagine how confuse o this is for people outside U.S.

80,90s. When You traveled to Japan You needed to know a Lot of customs to avoid ofend someone ( gifts, flower colors, not eat while walking)..These days it seems you need to take more care when go to U.S. yo avoid ofend someone...

Mithos

Hard R was surely a reference to hard r-rated movies, since Stellar Blade fits exactly into that paradigm, not the hard r n-word, which has nothing to do with the game.

Should not have been patched out, they did nothing wrong.
Someone when they get the game should check if that "R Shop" is a video store or not, would be so funny if it was.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sony says it will remove Stellar Blade artwork that appears to reference racist slurs, claiming that the phrase's inclusion was "unintentional."

screenshot-2024-04-23-13-49-43-1713905553711.png

Via IGN
i like this outfit

Wildebeest

These people are just going to get escalate, getting mortally offended by more obscure things until basically nobody on earth will be able to work out what they are offended by.

skyfall

These people are just going to get escalate, getting mortally offended by more obscure things until basically nobody on earth will be able to work out what they are offended by.
that’s true, but it’s the people who cater to them and censor themselves (like these devs) that ultimately enable them and allow them to have power / influence

Last edited:

Dazraell

Welp, as non English speaker I didn't knew the meaning of this, so I guess this is a mistake that is easy to make

Last edited:

Thyuda

Isn't it kinda fascinating that a lot of these people lived through the last big moral panic of the 80s as kids and are now just doing exactly the same thing again, as adults?

Garibaldi

I'm really concerned how many real women will be killed because of this blatant horrific on the nose racism.

They need to patch this now, not day 1 of release. We must protect our Laras

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Looking forward to the nonexistent articles on GTA6 upon release on why it is bad and is full of social injustice and should be banned/boycotted.

Why do they assume malice from it?...
It's actually clever and funny (Assuming it was intentional).

It's okay to not find it funny, but to be offended by it?
I hate to be that guy too, but 0,0001% of black people were offended by that.

I don't even know if this is just Sony being too cautious, or if there are non-black people who are actually offended by this.

Last edited:

Fake

If you are black then I'm just saying stuff you already know. Are you offended?

I guess what he is saying is that most of the black folks never heard about this. I for example, never ever knew about this until today.

Is like most of the white people that behave like a Norton anti-virus made a 100% scan on those games/internet to search what can offend us black folks. We know what offend us, we don't need a lecture.

Isn't funny when a white guy need to teach us about can offend us?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I guess what is saying is that most of the black folks never heard about this. I for example, never ever knowed about this until today.

Is like most of the white people that behave like a Norton anti-virus made a 100% scan on those games to search what can offend us black folks. We know what offend us, we don't need a lecture.

I edited my post. Obviously not all black people use the same words or language, etc. There are cultural/regional differences. I was referencing that specific phrase as an example of the difference in the usage of the N word pronounced ending in R and ending in A. I don't know that this applies anywhere other than where I live, here in the southern US. I would have thought in the context of the phrases that would be clear, but I perhaps not.

Again......it was just an example.

Edit: Just saw this in your post..... Fake Fake .....not following you. What are you saying here?

Isn't funny when a white guy need to teach us about can offend us?

Last edited:
Top Bottom