• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The 10 Best Action Games of All Time.

decisions

10. Ninja Gaiden 2
9. Vanquish
8. God of War III
7. Bayonetta
6. Bayonetta 2
5. Metal Gear Rising
4. Devil May Cry 3
3. Devil May Cry 5
2. Ninja Gaiden Black
1. God of War 2018

So, a decent list that proves someone at IGN still has decent taste. But at the same time #1 is the worst action game on the list. Also Bayo 2 over the original? Nah.

rubhen925

god of war 2018 doesn't belong there. The action is actually a bit watered down compared to god of war 3 and the other games there. For me Devil may Cry 3 will always be the best action game of all time. The game practically redefined action games when it launched. Sure DMC5 maybe flashier and nicer looking, but V's combat alone brings the game down a notch. Where as DMC3 focused solely on Dante, and always added new abilities and arsenal for him further elevating the whole gameplay. Can't be beat imo. Vanquish and Bayo 1 need to be higher too

Last edited:

Belmonte

10. Ninja Gaiden 2
9. Vanquish
8. God of War III
7. Bayonetta
6. Bayonetta 2
5. Metal Gear Rising
4. Devil May Cry 3
3. Devil May Cry 5
2. Ninja Gaiden Black
1. God of War 2018

So, a decent list that proves someone at IGN still has decent taste. But at the same time #1 is the worst action game on the list. Also Bayo 2 over the original? Nah.

You almost fixed your greatest sin, IGN! You messed the last half of the name! Let me help you dudes:

ZFYNvH1.jpg

Now everything is fine!

I didn't play the last God of War yet so I can't judge it. But c'mon! God Hand is incredible!

Last edited:

Blood Borne

A surprisingly decent list. I don’t agree with the order and some games there, but a good list nonetheless.

Honourable mentions, Sekiro, God Hand and Onimusha.

Alx

All of those games are great (can't say for the God of War games that I haven't played), but that list lacks diversity. Or does "action games" basically mean "combo-based beat-em-ups" now ? Vanquish being the exception, all the others have very similar gameplay (with Ninja Gaiden being maybe slightly different, but not that much).

Kagey K

Banned
I was going to get mad at NG2 being so low, but Black fixed it.
I really don’t care about the rest.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Should've been titled "Our Fav CAPCOM / Platinum games (ft. Itagaki Gaiden and Balrog of War)"

Why not Rocket Knight Adventures and Shinobi series? Why not Maximo and GUNZ: The Duel?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Shinobi PS2 would've fit on the list. Nightshade too.
Never really clicked with Nightshade but Shinobi was legit.

Also wondering why there isn't a single Musou game on the list, Fist of the North Star, Yakuza series, Way of the Samurai, Shenmue, etc

DMC 5 over 3? Vanquish? Literally any GOW game? Fucking AWFUL list Jesus christ.

This is a list by people who can't handle action games that require you to interact with like 2 or more buttons on the controller at once.

It's a list My mom would make if I left her alone with these games for a month and told her to rank them.

Ninja Gaiden Black should be #1 tbh... That game is nothing but a masterpiece. I've replayed it sooooooo many times that I've never got bored of playing it! Master Ninja difficulty was a real pain to finish.

Metnut

I’m surprised none Dark Souls series or Bloodborne made the list. The action in those games is top level.

Fbh

Well I DO like all of the games in that list though I don't agree with the order at all..
Also if you are going to put in GOW2018 then you might as well include Bloodborne, Sekiro, Nioh, Nier Automata, etc.

VertigoOA

Banned
Having God Of War Ps4 being number one is fine with me...

however... No Bloodborne, Nioh, Sekiro or Souls then? I mean... God of War is a rip-off of those games and as far as I’m concerned Bloodborne is still far superior. And ... I like my souls games more than any of the Capcom-style brawlers by a significant margin as well.

what?

Fake

I guess the first game on the list show the reality of modern gaming journalist. As much I loved God of War, he is probably not at the first place by a large margin.

Probably Ninja Gaiden beat easy most of them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So was the Xbox 360 the first console to come out or something? Does nobody at IGN HQ have a Genesis or SNES?

I watched the beginning of the video to see if by "action game" they are actually talking about DMC-style games (which is a subset of action games), but nope, just action games.

-Troid-

Banned
GOW has always had basic combat that just looks flashy, especially GOW '18, which is a bunch of scripted stuff with barebones, auto-locking attack animations. GOW '18 shouldn't be on this list; it's more of an action adventure game than a character action game. I don't care if I russle some jimmies on this because GOW '18 is overrated and Matthewmatosis has a whole video that agrees with me; and he's like the king of autistically analyzing games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I like that God of War is in the list, in lists regards they lead categories in cringe with no real pressure on who's #1, but IGN is right with God of War being the best action game of all time.

Top Bottom