• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Rōnin | OT | Gaming Edo Age Forums

fart town usa

Gold Member
I’m in the second area now and I’m starting to hit the open world wall. I’m at 20 hours, wonder how much longer I have to go? I hope it’s not as bloated as Days Gone.
It's weird how I dislike open world but sometimes they absolutely grab me. I'm at 30+ hours and still in the first area. 😅

benzy

xLIDSiM.jpg

6BbcjqB.jpg

WVPMDLW.jpg
Damnnn I didn’t even realize the photo mode had those filters.

I’m in the second area now and I’m starting to hit the open world wall. I’m at 20 hours, wonder how much longer I have to go? I hope it’s not as bloated as Days Gone.
I don't really understand how you can have open world fatigue for a game that allows you fast travel everywhere. Your character and horse are fast as hell too(no stamina bar). It's not a game that warrants searching every nook and cranny and the developers designed it like that, which is why you are never more than a few minutes away from combat

I don't really understand how you can have open world fatigue for a game that allows you fast travel everywhere. Your character and horse are fast as hell too(no stamina bar). It's not a game that warrants searching every nook and cranny and the developers designed it like that, which is why you are never more than a few minutes away from combat

You can fast travel to other areas besides the banners? Not trying to be a smart ass, genuinely asking.

Also open world fatigue sets in because of the design of the game. A majority of the missions follow the same formula. Meet up with someone, go somewhere, fight what is essentially a mission based public order event, repeat. I’m only a few missions into act two, but there’s very little variety. And then each area has the same things to track down and collect or take care of, so you’re just repeating the same stuff again and again.

The horse is fast, and so is the player. I don’t even use the horse, you rarely have to run super far. But the core open world is very repetitive.

You can fast travel to other areas besides the banners? Not trying to be a smart ass, genuinely asking.

Also open world fatigue sets in because of the design of the game. A majority of the missions follow the same formula. Meet up with someone, go somewhere, fight what is essentially a mission based public order event, repeat. I’m only a few missions into act two, but there’s very little variety. And then each area has the same things to track down and collect or take care of, so you’re just repeating the same stuff again and again.

The horse is fast, and so is the player. I don’t even use the horse, you rarely have to run super far. But the core open world is very repetitive.
It would probably take less than 20min to grab every banner on Edo. Regardless, your criticism of mission design is fair but that has nothing to do with open world fatigue. You barely even need to interact with the open world if you don't want to. It is designed that way

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It would probably take less than 20min to grab every banner on Edo. Regardless, your criticism of mission design is fair but that has nothing to do with open world fatigue. You barely even need to interact with the open world if you don't want to. It is designed that way
The open world design here is done in quite an intelligent manner. Things are close, easy to get to, quick to do, and allow the player to continuously stay in a brisk pace whenever engaging with the game.

They clearly wanted it to be snappy like their prior titles. I appreciate this because AC games for example have slow and tedious activities all over, and generally are a trek to get to.

Every chunk of the map is a light affair. The game respects my time more than other open world titles, and I can opt to ignore all of this if I want, and still beat the main story thanks to the numerous ways you can overcome the games obstacles.

Managed to play about 2 hours worth over the last couple days and it's great. I've reached the open world part and saved a few villages, I'm having a blast.

The combat is deep and challenging enough that you can't just mindlessly slash away and the graphics honestly aren't bad at all, in fact I think they're pretty good. I paid £62 for it and feel like I'll get more than my moneys worth.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man this game is so good. It's insane how much content there is.

Playing this gives me the same vibes as when I played Assassin's Creed 2. I love that game because I really enjoyed just walking around Venice, soaking up the atmosphere, just seeing stuff. This game has those same comfy vibes. It's beautiful at times, especially outside the city. There's a lot of activity everywhere, it really feels like people live in this world which is no small feat.

The combat just never gets boring, that's the beauty of it. You're never crazy OP, you can never just let your guard down. Really, really awesome idea to implement these harsh mechanics in an open world game.

Dr.Morris79

Spent a couple of more hours with it as I push towards the final stretch in Rebirth. Yokohama is a fantastic location, this is such a cool, unexplored time period that really sets Ronin apart from the pack. Character switching was a pleasant surprise, petting cats is dope, glider assassinations ftw. DualSense haptics are on point too, I've said it dozens of times, good force feedback will always elevate a game to the next level and increase immersion/enjoyment, they came through here.

This is another game where I'll be spending a good chunk of my playtime in Photo Mode:

RUtZlVd.jpg
OBCIWdb.jpg
IodfxZO.jpg
Can't wait to get stuck into this (y)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Okay surely I'm not the only one who gives zero fucks about the politics but just does whatever pleases Taka because Taka is :messenger_heart:
I care a bit about it but it is hard for me to follow. That's purely cultural differences though, this is probably a super engaging narrative for Japanese players.

I'm playing pro-shogunate right now but utilizing wooden weapons for certain missions and also staying in favor with the anti forces. I exhaust everything available before I tackle main missions, I feel like I'm still early into the overall narrative.

fart town usa

Gold Member
8.5 user metacritic feels right. Can't remember a disparity that big between critics and users on the positive side. This is just an amazing video ass video game. Sucks that the sales will surely do poorly. Maybe over time it can recoup costs
Yea it's lame. Typical Ubisoft bloat labels from people who still play Ubisoft games, and a fixation on horse animations.

This game made me realize that I actually don't hate open world games, I just find most of them to be incredibly boring. Ronin is awesome, I'm probably going to put 100 hours into it and might go for the platinum, which is something I rarely do because I never think about trophy hunting.

Okay surely I'm not the only one who gives zero fucks about the politics but just does whatever pleases Taka because Taka is :messenger_heart:
I actually find the politics engaging, but I also will admit that my character is simping for Taka pretty hard right now lol.

I'm roleplaying primarily as an Anti-Shogunate assassin, but I like to imagine that the "forbidden" love with a Pro-Shogunate geisha makes the interactions with her character a lot more impactful.

8.5 user metacritic feels right. Can't remember a disparity that big between critics and users on the positive side. This is just an amazing video ass video game. Sucks that the sales will surely do poorly. Maybe over time it can recoup costs
100% agree. The game was judged a lot more harshly on its negative aspects, and completely ignored on just how much it gets right - namely, how damn good it feels to play

J3nga

I dunno, I liked combat at first but the more I play the more it's evident it's made cheap. Your opponent just enters his spam-attack script and then just staggers you without letting you heal yourself, also hitting the opponent right before his spam attack does nothing. Also WTF with bosses just jumping like crazy to you from the other part of the arena like this was a spiderman game, looks ridiculous. Timings seem like a random thing also.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I dunno, I liked combat at first but the more I play the more it's evident it's made cheap. Your opponent just enters his spam-attack script and then just staggers you without letting you heal yourself, also hitting the opponent right before his spam attack does nothing. Also WTF with bosses just jumping like crazy to you from the other part of the arena like this was a spiderman game, looks ridiculous. Timings seem like a random thing also.
Parrying is tough. Everyone says it.

Buffs, dodging, blocking. I only parry the attacks I'm overly familiar with.

If felt quite brutal to me too but the game is honestly pretty easy if you do side stuff and monitor your gear. All my deaths are from me being sloppy and leaving myself vulnerable from being too aggressive.

Reactions: Isa

fart town usa

Gold Member
I made it to the 2nd area last night and as far as I can tell, Yokohama is 100% clear.

I'm debating if I should utilize the replay mission feature because one of my major decisions clearly did not benefit the cause, lol. However, I think I'm gonna ride it out because I am the Ronin and these are my choices. The option to go back and change things is really nice though.

Sharius

Neo Member
some of area in this game is driving me nut, not like it's hard or something, but about increase region bond to level 3, we suppose to farm few random encounter to get the rest, but something feel like this game has bug that prevent these event spawn, running around for 2 hours straight and find absolute none

fart town usa

Gold Member
some of area in this game is driving me nut, not like it's hard or something, but about increase region bond to level 3, we suppose to farm few random encounter to get the rest, but something feel like this game has bug that prevent these event spawn, running around for 2 hours straight and find absolute none
Yea, that is kind of weird. In my game those things pop up all the time. Yokohama is all bond level 3 for me. I'm curious if you can get them to 4?

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay the plot twist I could see coming from a mile away happened, and I'm super pissed about it lol.

Taka, noooooooo. Extremely manipulative how you spend multiple missions of quality time with her and they kill her off literally the next cutscene.

tumblr_orguib4DAE1wrm7pyo3_1280.jpg

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
How does the combat compare to Ninja Gaiden?

I've been itching for a game like that for a while there’s not been anything like it.
Put the game on hard and enemies will challenge you. All enemies want to attack at once, and will try to stun lock you. Enemies can kill you in one sequence.

The game wants you to:
-Get good gear
-Use correct weapons for enemy types
-Dodge
-Block
-Parry
-Switch stances and weapons in combat
-Learn spacing

Ultimately you can make the game trivial if you over level and over gear, and/or put it on easy mode.

It scales well for different play styles. Is it as brutal as NG games in hardest difficulties? No, but even souls games or Nioh aren’t. This at least can challenge you, but with fair checkpoint system always in play.

Crownttano

Dawg... FUUUUUUCK being Counterspark Compatibility Ineffective

Katana
Aisu Kage-ryu + Tatsumi Stance

Same build
Still in Chapter 2 so no Master Rank, Blood River
That damn animation canceling Martial Skill spam is fookin lovely tho

Heard we have to Veiled Vow Ryoma for that -1 Set Piece
Time to be the "Gay Demon"
I need to get my 4th accessory slot too

fart town usa

Gold Member
Dawg... FUUUUUUCK being Counterspark Compatibility Ineffective

Katana
Aisu Kage-ryu + Tatsumi Stance

Same build
Still in Chapter 2 so no Master Rank, Blood River
That damn animation canceling Martial Skill spam is fookin lovely tho

Heard we have to Veiled Vow Ryoma for that -1 Set Piece
Time to be the "Gay Demon"
I need to get my 4th accessory slot too

Damn dude, good for you. Easily the best parrying footage I've seen so far. Very impressive.

SJRB

Gold Member
Edo is HUGE. And beautiful. A lot of striking vistas, but also some dreadful performance. There are these cool octopus-like kites all over the place, go look at the shadows of these things. It's ridiculous.

I legit thought I was nearing the end of the game and then it dunks an entire new one on me.

Man act 3 of this game really sucks imho. The story becomes so convoluted and cliched and the areas you explore become less and less beautiful historic villages and more generic mountain areas and repeating tiles and lots of invisible walls preventing you from platforming or traversing freely. I was at least finally able to upgrade my favorite weapon and style type. Turns out I needed to train with a dude you don’t even meet until act 3. Makes zero sense, but at least it’s done.

I’m approaching fifty hours and hoping the end is near. I think I almost have the plat too.

Crownttano

Katana Jigen-ryu Style vs Kaishu Katsu, Blue Demon

I'm still doing Solo Online Lobby, no idea if there's any other way to down scale your character to the mission
In Nioh 2 you just pressed triangle to sync before starting 😆
I tried Testament of the Soul and it does not downgrade you

Here's my build, work in progress

DavidGzz

So, something that took me out of Nioh was the enemies(besides the humans), is this game more grounded and does it stay that way? Idk why I don't particularly like the demons in Nioh. I'm absorbed by DD2 but I am interested in this. Are most enemies human?

Last edited:
Top Bottom