• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Xbox Year in Review

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Looking back at the past year of Xbox as Microsoft finally gets the fresh start it's been building towards.

Rewind the clock to one year ago and we knew what the Xbox Series X looked like, but we didn’t know exactly when it’d be released, nor did we know how much it would cost. And it’s easy to forget now, but other than a sneaky tease in the backdrop of a Phil Spencer interview, Microsoft refused to even acknowledge the existence of the Series S until September! It’s been a heck of a year for Microsoft, with a strong next-gen console launch fueling record profits for its gaming division. While the wait for the big exclusive games continues at an agonizingly slow pace, Microsoft made an industry-shattering acquisition by bringing Bethesda into its fold. So while we look ahead to what Xbox’s many internal studios are working on, and the future of Xbox hardware and services, let’s look back at the wild year Microsoft has had.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good recap video but very vanilla. Not even a score at the end?

I would give it a 5/10. Mediocre.

They did a great job with the console features like VRR, the BC features, and Gamepass games, but I look back the entire year and I see absolutely nothing that wowed me or made me want to buy an Xbox or get Gamepass on PC. MLB couldve been that game but Sony made it last gen, but I guess thats not on MS.

I would give Sony a 7/10 (GOOD) just because they actually released some next gen games and had some pretty decent conferences in retrospect. Lots of games that made me go wow and say hey, i want to play that day one. Their lack of VRR support and somewhat shoddy BC support surprisingly didnt impact me because every game I played was a locked 60 fps and sony studios finally did patch most of the first party games.

I think MS couldve easily had a good 7/10 year if they had revealed whatever Bethesda was working on when they announced the deal. This was right around the time Sony had their press conference with FF16, Harry Potter, Spiderman Miles, and Demon Souls gameplay reveals, and having Starfield and some other next gen Bethesda games at the announcement wouldve competed with that Sony conference they ultimately had no answer to.

Hopefully, this year they follow E3 with another conference in fall. they have 24 studios and should have enough for two conferences per year.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's not Series X 1 year in review, it's Xbox. They're basing the video off how it's going since the 3rd party "next gen" conference in May or whatever of 2020. Weird timeline to go off of but yeah. Just generating content amongst E3 hype I guess
This actually makes sense.

Its been one wild ass ride from that time to now. From Phil being confident after Sony's showcase:

‘Just being honest, I felt good after seeing their show. I think the hardware advantages that we have built are going to show up as we’re talking more about our games and frame rates and other things,’

to Craig being unleashed upon the world to the Zenimax purchase to the non existent huge power gap to where are the next gen games....

Its been a doozey.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It's really impressive how much Xbox coverage and discussion IGN has.... as well as several staff that you can point to and say 'they are passionate xbox gamers'.... including Ryan MCCaffrey, Destin (Who has his own Xbox channel on youtube as well) and previously Alanah Pearce was well known to be a Gears fan. The recent tweets from Justin Davis and Zach Ryan....

I look across the gaming media and see Jeff Grubb, Parris, Tom Warren, Jez Cordon, Thurrot, Brad Sams....

My question is 'why is Xbox so well served among the media and why do PlayStation fans only have Mystic Ryan and Colins Sacred Symbols to choose from?'
Those two I mention for PS coverage are self-made youtube channels too...... nothing like IGN, Gamestop or the Verge.....

Am I seeing this wrong? Please correct me if I am unintentionally portraying things inaccurately....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me personally, the last year for Xbox Series X is a good 7.0/10. Love the console, Quick Resume, Game Pass, Backwards Compatibility, Smart Delivery, FPS Boost, Auto HDR with Resolution Boost and Auto Dolby Vision to come. Love the controller and I like the dashboard and happy they didn't change it but they should upgrade it to 4K/HDR. It's jarring going from a 4K/HDR game to a 1080p dashboard. Of course, they're lacking in exclusives but in fairness, I have known this since Halo Infinite was delayed so based on that my expectations weren't high because I already knew that until Fall 2021, exclusives would be slim/minimal at best.

Long term and future wise, the potential is massive. I look at when I owned a PS4. I didn't get a great exclusive until May 2016 with Uncharted 4 and even with that, I was disappointed. Ratchet which I just played over a year ago was awesome though but I didn't play it in 2016. If I did, then that would be when greatness started for me. So that's basically 2 1/2 years after launch. As long as Microsoft gives me at least two great exclusives in the first 2 1/2 years of the life cycle, I will be perfectly happy and satisfied with that especially when I care more about the second half of the console's life cycle than I do the first half.

Overall, excluding Miles Morales and the upcoming Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, I haven't played the PlayStation 5 at all because there's no reason to do so. Sony gives me 1-2 exclusives a year, im perfectly content with that since it's my secondary exclusives only console.

Back to Xbox Series X, all I want from Microsoft is for their exclusives to match Sony from PS4 for me personally. If they do that, I will be more than happy with Xbox Series X for the entire generation.

giphy.gif

Vick

My question is 'why is Xbox so well served among the media
I'd say for various reasons. And i guess things like these also play a role:

"Written by Katrin Hilman and Todd Bohanna, Community Co-Leads, Team Xbox LGBTQIA+

Xbox_PRIDE_2021_Sphere_v3_black.jpg

This Pride, LGBTQIA+ communities at Microsoft invite everyone to join us in our call for justice and equity. By working together, we can make an impact and bring about change for all.

Gaming is a big part of the lives of many LGBTQIA+ players and it’s important that we celebrate everyone who plays. At Xbox, we are committed to creating a safe and inclusive space for all members of LGBTQIA+ communities to experience the joy of gaming and we are championing content that represents all of today’s players. We will continue to do our part to ensure that everyone can play as their authentic selves and feel empowered and represented throughout the industry.

Team Xbox proudly supports LGBTQIA+ players during Pride month and beyond. To honor Pride, we are focusing on intersectionality and lifting up LGBTQIA+ voices across gaming. We are also highlighting stories of Team Xbox and Microsoft members, and Microsoft is making a $150,000 total donation to LGBTQIA+ nonprofits. Explore all of the ways Microsoft stands up for justice and equity at Pride, and check out some of the ways Xbox is celebrating this year.

Pride_Gear_PR_Graphic_2021_JPG.jpg

Show your support with limited-edition t-shirts, bags, and more — all created by and with LGBTQIA+ communities. This year’s collection is packed with Xbox Game Studios designs and eco-friendly options. Shop Pride gear now.

PRIDE-CONTROLLER-FINAL-6.1_JPG.jpg

Team Xbox has designed the Pride 2021 Xbox Wireless Controller with and for LGBTQIA+ people to give visibility to communities that have often been overlooked and neglected. It combines the flags of various LGBTQIA+ communities in an interwoven energetic way, creating a sense of unity, and evoking both technology and the modern age. To celebrate, Team Xbox will share these controllers with key influencers and media in the U.S. and internationally. Learn more here.

tell-me-why_michael-twins-walking.jpg

Tell Me Why Available for Free in June on Xbox Consoles, Microsoft Store, and Steam!
Tell Me Why, the award-winning narrative adventure from DontNod Entertainment and Xbox Publishing, will be available for free on Xbox consoles, the Microsoft Store and Steam for the entire month of June 2021. Whether you’re returning to Delos Crossing or experiencing the Ronan twins’ reunion for the first time, we can’t wait for you to join us this Pride Month.

Forza_Rainbow_Livery_2021_FH4_16x9.jpg

Forza is getting festive! The 2021 Forza Rainbow livery, adorning the 2017 Ford Focus RS, is available for free to all players in both Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7. Players will automatically receive the livery through the in-game message center the next time they log in after June 1. (Ford disclaimer: 2017 Focus RS no longer in real world production.)

343-Pride-Nameplate-2021.jpg

In Halo: The Master Chief Collection, our players can customize their profile with special nameplates commemorating in-game activities or celebrating special events. Any players who log in during the month of June will automatically gain access to this unique “Unity” nameplate!

Console_Reference.jpg

PrideHearts_Pride2021Background_1920x1080_JPG.jpg

Xbox has released new Xbox profile customization content. The new “True Colors” profile theme and gamerpics will be available to fans on PC and console. Celebrate and show your support with this new content! (Availability may differ by region.)

Microsoft is donating a total of $150,000 to LGBTQIA+ Nonprofits

Together with our employees, Microsoft has donated $2M+ to organizations that support the LGBTQIA+ community in the last year, and we are making an additional $150,000 total donation to nonprofits around the world to help in the fight for LGBTQIA+ equity including ACLU Foundation, The Trevor Project, Act to Change, OutRight Action International, BEAM, and Mermaids. We remain committed to advocating for and supporting equity and equality for all, including our LGBTQIA+ employees, gamers and members of our communities. Learn more.

Microsoft Rewards on Xbox

Microsoft Rewards members in the United States can earn points for donation to organizations supporting LGBTQIA+ communities through Xbox. All Microsoft Rewards donations made to the organizations listed below will be matched by Microsoft throughout the month of June.

• The Trevor Project: The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people.
  • OutRight Action International: OutRight Action International fights for the human rights of LGBTIQ people everywhere. OutRight works at the international, regional and national levels to research, document, defend, and advance human rights for LGBTIQ people around the world.
  • Transgender Law Center: Transgender Law Center changes law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression.
Xbox gamers can earn Microsoft Rewards points in various ways, such as playing or purchasing games after downloading the Microsoft Rewards app on Xbox. Earn points and redeem them for real rewards. Join today and donate through Xbox.

PrideBanner_All_1080.jpg

This month, join Microsoft and The Coalition and support the social good organization of your choice through the MS Rewards program. Complete a Gears 5-based MS Rewards Punch Card and get the Pixelated Hearts banner set for use in Gears 5 multiplayer. Program is open to players in the following regions: US, CA, MX, BR, AU, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES.

Discover Games, Movies, and TV Curated by LGBTQIA+ Communities at Microsoft

FY21Pride-Tile-Mixed-1920x1080-Center-01.jpg

During June and beyond, we are highlighting games, movies, and TV selected by LGBTQIA+ communities at Microsoft that bring focus to LGBTQIA+ creators, experiences, and protagonists, plus award winners and nominees from GLAAD and the Gayming Awards.

Check out a few highlights from the full games collection featuring creators, relationship options,protagonists, playable characters, character creation options and LGBTQIA+ award winners and nominees.

Tell Me Why – This award-winning narrative adventure from DONTNOD Entertainment and Xbox Publishing stars Tyler Ronan, a trans man, alongside his twin sister Alyson as they reunite for the first time in ten years and explore the secrets surrounding their mother’s death. Download the game for free all month long on Xbox consoles, Windows 10 and Steam!
Undertale – We won’t spoil it, but this popular RPG is rich with representation and is now available to play on Xbox.
Ikenfell – This tactical RPG features a number of LGBTQIA+ characters and follows a group of magical students including three non-binary party members.
2064 Read Only Memories – We love that MidBoss seeks to make the world more inclusive through content, and how this game presents gender identities and expression, including the option to choose your pronouns.

The Outer Worlds – Join Parvati, one of your companions who identifies as asexual, as she pursues a relationship with Junlei, the captain on the Groundbreaker in this GLAAD award-winning action-RPG where you’ll get a taste of that space colonist life.

Standouts from the full movies and TV collection featuring creators, leads, educational views, and family entertainment, and GLAAD award winners include:

Moonlight” – This moving story follows the journey of Chiron, a young African American man, and his journey with his identity and sexuality into adulthood.
“Saving Face” – Before Alice Wu created, The Half of It, she created Saving Face featuring Wilhelmina, a Chinese-American lesbian, balancing her relationship with her mother and cultural expectations.
“Love, Simon” – Greg Berlanti’s coming-of-age film follows 17-year old Simon’s path to coming to terms with his identity.
“The Craft: Legacy” – Zoey Luna brings visibility to trans and Latina identities in this continuation of a 1996 hit.

View the complete collections on the Microsoft Store on Xbox, the Microsoft Store on Windows 10, and the Xbox App on Windows in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Australia. Visitors to both the Xbox and Windows Stores can find LGBTQIA+ community picks at any time by searching for “Pride” and related terms.

PrideMonth2021Blog-NoText.jpg

In the Xbox Ambassadors community, we are dedicated to sharing and amplifying community voices. So, in celebration of Pride Month in June, we asked those who identify as LGBTQIA+, how games with diverse representation have impacted them and to share their stories about being a member of the gaming community. Here are their stories.

Xbox Plays Celebrates LGBTQIA+ Communities

The Xbox Plays team will continue to celebrate LGBTQIA+ communities during Pride Month and beyond. Our team will feature games connected to these communities, as well as invite prominent live streamers and content creators onto our channels. We will also have game developers on-hand to talk about their experiences while creating games that represent LGBTQIA+ communities. Follow the action on Twitch.tv/Xbox!

Join us each week as we feature a different theme:

• Week of June 1st – LGBTQIA+ Game Creators.
  • Week of June 7th – LGBTQIA+ Community Streamer Takeover
  • Week of June 14th – LGBTQIA+ Game Protagonists
  • Week of June 21st – GLAAD/Gayming Award Nominees
  • Week of June 28th – LGBTQIA+ Playable Characters
Xbox Podcast Talks Pride and Safety for LGBTQIA+ Players

Xbox’s Major Nelson will be joined by GM of Xbox Trust & Safety, Kim Kunes, on the Official Xbox Podcast for a special Pride month episode in late June that will discuss the importance of safety at Xbox. The episode will cover how Xbox is supporting LGBTQIA+ communities to play as their authentic selves and experience the joy of play free from fear of intimidation or harassment.

GAYMING-PRIDE-.jpg

This summer, Gayming Magazine, the world’s only LGBTQ video game magazine, is celebrating its DIGIPRIDE season which runs from June through August on gaymingmag.com. Presented by Xbox UKI, the season will see a number of major activities happening on the Gayming site and across Twitch. Events include a digital drag show, DIGIPRIDE panels, special Let’s Play streams, weekly Rainbow Arcade DIGIPRIDE streams, special episodes of the Gayming Podcast Live, and more to be revealed! All this plus exclusive ‘money can’t buy’ competitions, reviews, features and interviews on Gayming Magazine. Learn more.
Play. Connect. Impact: Learn more about all that Xbox and Microsoft are doing in celebration of Pride all month long at the Xbox Pride Community Hub and
Microsoft’s Pride Community Hub."

ZehDon

Gold Member

"Written by Katrin Hilman and Todd Bohanna, Community Co-Leads, Team Xbox LGBTQIA+

This Pride, LGBTQIA+ communities at Microsoft invite everyone to join us in our call for justice and equity. By working together, we can make an impact and bring about change for all.

Gaming is a big part of the lives of many LGBTQIA+ players and it’s important that we celebrate everyone who plays. At Xbox, we are committed to creating a safe and inclusive space for all members of LGBTQIA+ communities to experience the joy of gaming and we are championing content that represents all of today’s players. We will continue to do our part to ensure that everyone can play as their authentic selves and feel empowered and represented throughout the industry.

Team Xbox proudly supports LGBTQIA+ players during Pride month and beyond. To honor Pride, we are focusing on intersectionality and lifting up LGBTQIA+ voices across gaming. We are also highlighting stories of Team Xbox and Microsoft members, and Microsoft is making a $150,000 total donation to LGBTQIA+ nonprofits. Explore all of the ways Microsoft stands up for justice and equity at Pride, and check out some of the ways Xbox is celebrating this year.

Show your support with limited-edition t-shirts, bags, and more — all created by and with LGBTQIA+ communities. This year’s collection is packed with Xbox Game Studios designs and eco-friendly options. Shop Pride gear now.

Team Xbox has designed the Pride 2021 Xbox Wireless Controller with and for LGBTQIA+ people to give visibility to communities that have often been overlooked and neglected. It combines the flags of various LGBTQIA+ communities in an interwoven energetic way, creating a sense of unity, and evoking both technology and the modern age. To celebrate, Team Xbox will share these controllers with key influencers and media in the U.S. and internationally. Learn more here.

Tell Me Why Available for Free in June on Xbox Consoles, Microsoft Store, and Steam!
Tell Me Why, the award-winning narrative adventure from DontNod Entertainment and Xbox Publishing, will be available for free on Xbox consoles, the Microsoft Store and Steam for the entire month of June 2021. Whether you’re returning to Delos Crossing or experiencing the Ronan twins’ reunion for the first time, we can’t wait for you to join us this Pride Month.

Forza is getting festive! The 2021 Forza Rainbow livery, adorning the 2017 Ford Focus RS, is available for free to all players in both Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7. Players will automatically receive the livery through the in-game message center the next time they log in after June 1. (Ford disclaimer: 2017 Focus RS no longer in real world production.)

In Halo: The Master Chief Collection, our players can customize their profile with special nameplates commemorating in-game activities or celebrating special events. Any players who log in during the month of June will automatically gain access to this unique “Unity” nameplate!

Console_Reference.jpg

Xbox has released new Xbox profile customization content. The new “True Colors” profile theme and gamerpics will be available to fans on PC and console. Celebrate and show your support with this new content! (Availability may differ by region.)

Together with our employees, Microsoft has donated $2M+ to organizations that support the LGBTQIA+ community in the last year, and we are making an additional $150,000 total donation to nonprofits around the world to help in the fight for LGBTQIA+ equity including ACLU Foundation, The Trevor Project, Act to Change, OutRight Action International, BEAM, and Mermaids. We remain committed to advocating for and supporting equity and equality for all, including our LGBTQIA+ employees, gamers and members of our communities. Learn more.

Microsoft Rewards members in the United States can earn points for donation to organizations supporting LGBTQIA+ communities through Xbox. All Microsoft Rewards donations made to the organizations listed below will be matched by Microsoft throughout the month of June.

• The Trevor Project: The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people.
  • OutRight Action International: OutRight Action International fights for the human rights of LGBTIQ people everywhere. OutRight works at the international, regional and national levels to research, document, defend, and advance human rights for LGBTIQ people around the world.
  • Transgender Law Center: Transgender Law Center changes law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression.
Xbox gamers can earn Microsoft Rewards points in various ways, such as playing or purchasing games after downloading the Microsoft Rewards app on Xbox. Earn points and redeem them for real rewards. Join today and donate through Xbox.

PrideBanner_All_1080.jpg

This month, join Microsoft and The Coalition and support the social good organization of your choice through the MS Rewards program. Complete a Gears 5-based MS Rewards Punch Card and get the Pixelated Hearts banner set for use in Gears 5 multiplayer. Program is open to players in the following regions: US, CA, MX, BR, AU, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES.

During June and beyond, we are highlighting games, movies, and TV selected by LGBTQIA+ communities at Microsoft that bring focus to LGBTQIA+ creators, experiences, and protagonists, plus award winners and nominees from GLAAD and the Gayming Awards.

Check out a few highlights from the full games collection featuring creators, relationship options,protagonists, playable characters, character creation options and LGBTQIA+ award winners and nominees.

Tell Me Why – This award-winning narrative adventure from DONTNOD Entertainment and Xbox Publishing stars Tyler Ronan, a trans man, alongside his twin sister Alyson as they reunite for the first time in ten years and explore the secrets surrounding their mother’s death. Download the game for free all month long on Xbox consoles, Windows 10 and Steam!
Undertale – We won’t spoil it, but this popular RPG is rich with representation and is now available to play on Xbox.
Ikenfell – This tactical RPG features a number of LGBTQIA+ characters and follows a group of magical students including three non-binary party members.
2064 Read Only Memories – We love that MidBoss seeks to make the world more inclusive through content, and how this game presents gender identities and expression, including the option to choose your pronouns.

The Outer Worlds – Join Parvati, one of your companions who identifies as asexual, as she pursues a relationship with Junlei, the captain on the Groundbreaker in this GLAAD award-winning action-RPG where you’ll get a taste of that space colonist life.

Standouts from the full movies and TV collection featuring creators, leads, educational views, and family entertainment, and GLAAD award winners include:

Moonlight” – This moving story follows the journey of Chiron, a young African American man, and his journey with his identity and sexuality into adulthood.
“Saving Face” – Before Alice Wu created, The Half of It, she created Saving Face featuring Wilhelmina, a Chinese-American lesbian, balancing her relationship with her mother and cultural expectations.
“Love, Simon” – Greg Berlanti’s coming-of-age film follows 17-year old Simon’s path to coming to terms with his identity.
“The Craft: Legacy” – Zoey Luna brings visibility to trans and Latina identities in this continuation of a 1996 hit.

View the complete collections on the Microsoft Store on Xbox, the Microsoft Store on Windows 10, and the Xbox App on Windows in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Australia. Visitors to both the Xbox and Windows Stores can find LGBTQIA+ community picks at any time by searching for “Pride” and related terms.

In the Xbox Ambassadors community, we are dedicated to sharing and amplifying community voices. So, in celebration of Pride Month in June, we asked those who identify as LGBTQIA+, how games with diverse representation have impacted them and to share their stories about being a member of the gaming community. Here are their stories.

The Xbox Plays team will continue to celebrate LGBTQIA+ communities during Pride Month and beyond. Our team will feature games connected to these communities, as well as invite prominent live streamers and content creators onto our channels. We will also have game developers on-hand to talk about their experiences while creating games that represent LGBTQIA+ communities. Follow the action on Twitch.tv/Xbox!

Xbox’s Major Nelson will be joined by GM of Xbox Trust & Safety, Kim Kunes, on the Official Xbox Podcast for a special Pride month episode in late June that will discuss the importance of safety at Xbox. The episode will cover how Xbox is supporting LGBTQIA+ communities to play as their authentic selves and experience the joy of play free from fear of intimidation or harassment.

GAYMING-PRIDE-.jpg

This summer, Gayming Magazine, the world’s only LGBTQ video game magazine, is celebrating its DIGIPRIDE season which runs from June through August on gaymingmag.com. Presented by Xbox UKI, the season will see a number of major activities happening on the Gayming site and across Twitch. Events include a digital drag show, DIGIPRIDE panels, special Let’s Play streams, weekly Rainbow Arcade DIGIPRIDE streams, special episodes of the Gayming Podcast Live, and more to be revealed! All this plus exclusive ‘money can’t buy’ competitions, reviews, features and interviews on Gayming Magazine. Learn more.
Play. Connect. Impact: Learn more about all that Xbox and Microsoft are doing in celebration of Pride all month long at the Xbox Pride Community Hub and
... what? Being this is a copy/paste dump... couldn't you have just shared a link?

Vick

... what? Being this is a copy/paste dump... couldn't you have just shared a link?
Not sure links from the asylum are welcome here.

What's "the asylum"?
The "other site".

And nothing in what you posted seems to actually address the question "why is Xbox so well served among the media?". What's the relevance?
Already stated in the post? "I'd say for various reasons. And i guess things like these also play a role:"

You don't see how this kind of things may play a role in gaining media favor?

Last edited:
It's really impressive how much Xbox coverage and discussion IGN has.... as well as several staff that you can point to and say 'they are passionate xbox gamers'.... including Ryan MCCaffrey, Destin (Who has his own Xbox channel on youtube as well) and previously Alanah Pearce was well known to be a Gears fan. The recent tweets from Justin Davis and Zach Ryan....

I look across the gaming media and see Jeff Grubb, Parris, Tom Warren, Jez Cordon, Thurrot, Brad Sams....

My question is 'why is Xbox so well served among the media and why do PlayStation fans only have Mystic Ryan and Colins Sacred Symbols to choose from?'
Those two I mention for PS coverage are self-made youtube channels too...... nothing like IGN, Gamestop or the Verge.....

Am I seeing this wrong? Please correct me if I am unintentionally portraying things inaccurately....
It seems pretty obvious that MS actually has a relationship with the media and influencers. They are all over social media with memes and silly posts. They respond to their fans on Xbox videos. MS actually acts likes it's run by human beings where Sony seems pretty lifeless. On top of that the biggest Sony titles are all single player so there isn't much feeling like you are part of a community.

It's so funny how so many Sony fans seemed shocked any likes the Xbox and assumes people that are excited for the platform are all paid off. It couldn't possibly be that they have a good product and people like it. If you feel like there aren't enough Sony fan sites or YouTube posters become one yourself. There clearly is room for you out there. It also wouldn't hurt if many of those Sony guys were just nicer people. So many seem to have a chip on their shoulder which is so odd if you think you have the best gaming system in the world.

SlimySnake

Greg Miller and Colin both came from IGN. Started their own podcast. Then split up and created an another podcast.

IGN right now has their own PS podcast and that dude and Ryan go at it every few weeks. They are both equally fair to both platforms.

Thurrot, Brad Sams and Tom Warren are all windows guys. They just happen to cover Xbox because they used to be windows insiders.

Alannah now works at playstation making Cory's new IP.

Salz01

Microsoft is always in damage control. I swear they haven’t released a first party game all year. I always feel they pay people to talk good about them. I have the series x and I have to force myself to play on it, and it’s only because my ps5 doesn’t have enough space to play more games on it. Sure the series x is a good piece of hardware, but the Ui is still last gen and no real exclusives. If it wasnt for backwards FPS boost capability saving their ass the last 3 months, but I rate it D

elliot5

Microsoft is always in damage control. I swear they haven’t released a first party game all year. I always feel they pay people to talk good about them. I have the series x and I have to force myself to play on it, and it’s only because my ps5 doesn’t have enough space to play more games on it. Sure the series x is a good piece of hardware, but the Ui is still last gen and no real exclusives. If it wasnt for backwards FPS boost capability saving their ass the last 3 months, but I rate it D
They updated the UI prior to the console release, they just updated it for the Xbox Ones as well. UI isn't "last gen" it's an ever evolving thing and it fits their mindset of having a unified ecosystem lol

longdi

Banned

MS has better out reach and more open to work with content creators.
They have taken a customer orientated focus, ready to serve and improve and react to feedback.
Imo that is a nice 2-way thing going on under Phil, to make everyone feel valued, building customer loyalty, creating better and better product and services. :lollipop_sunglasses: :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Long term and future wise, the potential is massive. I look at when I owned a PS4. I didn't get a great exclusive until May 2016 with Uncharted 4 and even with that, I was disappointed. Ratchet which I just played over a year ago was awesome though but I didn't play it in 2016. If I did, then that would be when greatness started for me. So that's basically 2 1/2 years after launch. As long as Microsoft gives me at least two great exclusives in the first 2 1/2 years of the life cycle, I will be perfectly happy and satisfied with that especially when I care more about the second half of the console's life cycle than I do the first half.
Before Ratchet and U4 hit in 2016, Sony had released the following exclusives.

- Killzone Shadowfall - 70 metacritic
- Knack - 54
- Infamous - 80
- DriveClub - 71
- The Order - 64
- Bloodborne - 92
- Until Dawn - 79

All games with spectacular next gen graphics save for Knack. There was plenty of good stuff to pick from.

By this time in Xbox One's cycle, MS had released

Forza 5 - 79
Dead Rising 3 - 78
Ryse - 60
Titanfall - 86
Killer Instinct - 73

And they would go on to release Forza Horizon 2 (86) and Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive (81), arguably their best exclusive the entire gen. They did the cross gen releases right by downporting both Titanfall and Forza Horizon 2 where it was obvious that next gen versions looked and played next gen. Like Horizon Forbidden West. Even if it arrives later this year, Halo Infinite looks last gen.

So forget Sony, MS hasnt managed to match the year 1 lineup Don fucking Matrick managed to line up before he left for Zynga. I think MS's hardware and features team has knocked it out of the park but Phil and the first party studios have bungled this up badly. Hardware/Services 10/10. First party 0/10. They just didnt show up.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Look at the top comment under the video on YT lol Bryank75 Bryank75 :
The truth, right there. I’m a big fan of MS but I think the software situation is absolutely ridiculous and for me it makes the whole thing fall apart. Fans needs to stop defending them. I really don’t care that I can play third party games on the console, I can do that everywhere, that’s not why I bought the Xbox Series X half a year ago.

Xbox year so far:
It’s silent, Gamepass is great, the backwards compatibility is fantastic, 120fps fps boost is insane, storage solution actually works, and Retroarch keeps on being awesome in retail mode.
6/10 seems fair, leaving some room for extra points another year when we actually get some 1st party games.
No wait, lets go with 5/10, since Retroarch isn’t Microsoft’s doing.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Before Ratchet and U4 hit in 2016, Sony had released the following exclusives.

- Killzone Shadowfall - 70 metacritic
- Knack - 54
- Infamous - 80
- DriveClub - 71
- The Order - 64
- Bloodborne - 92
- Until Dawn - 79

All games with spectacular next gen graphics save for Knack. There was plenty of good stuff to pick from.

By this time in Xbox One's cycle, MS had released

Forza 5 - 79
Dead Rising 3 - 78
Ryse - 60
Titanfall - 86
Killer Instinct - 73

And they would go on to release Forza Horizon 2 (86) and Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive (81), arguably their best exclusive the entire gen. They did the cross gen releases right by downporting both Titanfall and Forza Horizon 2 where it was obvious that next gen versions looked and played next gen. Like Horizon Forbidden West. Even if it arrives later this year, Halo Infinite looks last gen.

So forget Sony, MS hasnt managed to match the year 1 lineup Don fucking Matrick managed to line up before he left for Zynga. I think MS's hardware and features team has knocked it out of the park but Phil and the first party studios have bungled this up badly. Hardware/Services 10/10. First party 0/10. They just didnt show up.
Honestly, none of the exclusives on either side did anything for me until 2016. I completed and rated -

Knack - 6.5/10
Infamous First Light - 7.0/10
The Order 1886 - 7.0/10
Until Dawn - 7.0/10

Ryse: Son of Rome - 7.0/10
Dead Rising 3 - 7.0/10

Played Bloodborne for around 8 hours or so. Great game im sure but not for me. The rest were of no interest and to be honest, looking back, if I could I would have only played Ryse and The Order 1886. The other four games I could have easily ignored and nothing of value have been lost. Ryse and The Order were at least visual showcases for each respective console that still are among the best 7 1/2 and about 6 1/2 years later respectively.

I agree in general that Xbox One was obviously way better than Xbox Series X but the difference is that I knew ahead of time that there would be nothing there outside of Gears Tactics which I played and completed. Rated it an 8.0/10. Only played Miles Morales for PS5. Rated it an 8.5/10. Of course, outside of Demon's Souls which I don't two craps about, I didn't need a PS5 or an XSX to play Miles/Gears Tactics. PS5 had a great launch lineup but two of the three games were cross-gen which Microsoft was bashed for the entire year of 2020 but Sony does it and nobody seemed to mind. Funny how that works.

Point is that while PS5 launch was great and better than Xbox, two out of the three games I didn't need a PS5 for in order to play them and Demon's Souls is not for me so that's the equivalent of having nothing. Returnal is current gen only but like Souls, isn't for me.

Ratchet is day one and already paid for. It's going to be a great game but if im going head to head, PS5 is only winning 2 to 1 for me and we're only 8 months into the generation. Due to Microsoft having 22 studios and around 35 teams, they will simply double up what Sony ends up having once it's all said and done. People say Xbox has no exclusives now but PS4 didn't have anything for me until 2016 which at that point, did anyone really care that the best exclusive launch title for PS4 was actually Resogun? Nope. No one cared because it didn't matter.

Microsoft/Spencer screwed up by depending too much on Halo Infinite but when I look at their studios, what else would they have had? Rare released Sea of Thieves in March 2018 so they weren't going to have anything ready. Undead Labs released State of Decay 2 in May 2018 so scratch them off. Turn 10 is completely rebooting Forza Motorsport and creating a new engine for this generation so eliminate them. Compulsion Games released We Happy Few in August 2018 and had to fulfill their contract with Gearbox so eliminate them. Ninja Theory had just released Hellblade on Xbox and due to Covid, just started finally doing motion capture so they were never going to have anything ready.

Playground could have maybe rushed Forza Horizon 5 but nah, let them have the extra year to make the game better instead of rushing it out. So eliminate them from 2020. Obsidian released 15 person passion project Grounded last July and in October 2019, The Outer Worlds which they finally wrapped up a few months ago with the last expansion as they had to fulfill their contract with Take Two Interactive. InXile had to release Wasteland 3 and have an expansion releasing this week and I believe they have one more to fulfill their contract so eliminate them.

Mojang does Minecraft for everything so they're a non-factor. The Initiative is barely three years old and have a ways to go so eliminate them. The Coalition released Gears 5 in September 2019 so eliminate them even though they should have had the Hivebusters expansion ready for launch as it was great but no biggie. Not going to include ZeniMax because even without a Microsoft acquisition, they weren't going to release any games for launch regardless. And 343 Industries had their delayed because it needed to be delayed.

For me, since E3 2018, I have always said 2022 before anything comes out of the studios Microsoft acquired because games don't get made over night so anything I get in the first 14 months is a bonus.

So yeah, it's disappointing but 7 months into the generation and 5 months owning a Series X (and 4 months owning a PS5), I have no issues or complaints because im still trying to wrap up the launch titles that I was already two months behind on. Plus, I still have Valhalla to go through and by the time I do that, The Ascent will be out in late July which will be my August game. October/November/December are set for me with Far Cry 6, Halo Infinite and Dying Light 2. As of now, only September is a gap which can easily be filled with the Wrath of the Druids expansion for Valhalla or Season Two of The Division 2. Either way, I will still have something to play.

Exclusives are great and all but overall, I have 4 thus far for PS5 on my list including Miles and Ratchet while I have 10 for Xbox Series X that have been announced and confirmed. So yeah, Xbox Series X launch was disappointing in this regard but they still sold out every console and continue to do so because it doesn't matter as the first 12-18 months, it's the hardcore that want to buy and own the console so it's not going to matter in the long term that they had no exclusives outside of Gears Tactics.

Should Microsoft/Spencer have been better prepared and have a backup plan or two? Absolutely but they didn't so me complaining about it isn't all of a sudden going to get me Fable or Hellblade 2 in my hands any sooner so what's even the point in doing so? I knew what the situation was going to be for at least the first 14 months but it doesn't matter for me personally because I have other games still to play and I don't want Microsoft to rush out games like they have done in the past. Let them take their time. If a game needs an extra 6 months or even a year, I hope they get it because I rather wait for a great game than get an average game earlier.

As for Halo Infinite, im expecting at least an 8/10 for me personally which is fine considering that im not a fan of the series and have never played any of them so im going in as a newbie with no expectations. The combat and gameplay looked great from last year's trailer which is what I care about the most in every game so as long as this hits for me, I will be happy.

Raekwon26

It seems pretty obvious that MS actually has a relationship with the media and influencers. They are all over social media with memes and silly posts. They respond to their fans on Xbox videos. MS actually acts likes it's run by human beings where Sony seems pretty lifeless. On top of that the biggest Sony titles are all single player so there isn't much feeling like you are part of a community.

It's so funny how so many Sony fans seemed shocked any likes the Xbox and assumes people that are excited for the platform are all paid off. It couldn't possibly be that they have a good product and people like it. If you feel like there aren't enough Sony fan sites or YouTube posters become one yourself. There clearly is room for you out there. It also wouldn't hurt if many of those Sony guys were just nicer people. So many seem to have a chip on their shoulder which is so odd if you think you have the best gaming system in the world.

There's just no way anyone can read this and not laugh.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Unprecedented, really. Microsoft looked at 343i's work on Halo Infinite and decided that launching a gaming console with no games was better than launching one with Halo Infinite.
As fun as that sounds from a joke perspective perhaps, I think they made that decision a bit more easily than what we think because the bigger test they care about is exactly “can we launch a console without (new) games?” and “can we train consumers not to expect brand new exclusive titles to launch alongside a new piece of HW?”.

If the company wants Xbox to be a closed box PC that they update every 2+ years or even more frequently one day, think iPhone and iPad launches, they need consumers NOT to expect new exclusive games and tons of new day one features, they need to decrease consumer expectations on new HW launches and especially exclusives. BC is one of the factors helping here, especially patches or automatic system wide BC improvements that focus on your existing catalogue and a console generation wide sliding window instead of the traditional (and IMHO better) cycle.

Although PS is also improving its BC support and will keep on improving it: if PS5 was not fully BC with PS4 and did not offer enhancements to some key titles too it would have been a different equation. Expectations on digital libraries forced Sony’s hands anyways.

I see Halo Infinite as a bit of a happy incident of sorts. Not a happy decision to delay it, but there is a big much more important battle for them at stake here… so a nice silver lining.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
MS has better out reach and more open to work with content creators.
They have taken a customer orientated focus, ready to serve and improve and react to feedback.
Imo that is a nice 2-way thing going on under Phil, to make everyone feel valued, building customer loyalty, creating better and better product and services. :lollipop_sunglasses: :messenger_ok:

Phil definitely seems to have a way with people and seems to choose people with a similar flair for their social media and PR it seems, they are definitely excellent in that regard.

Bryank75

Banned

I agree with Playstation PR and media feeling sterile and boring.... very robotic. Particularly the female voice in the state of plays just does nothing for anyone it seems.

I miss the days of Shu and Gio Corsi and others being on stage, PlayStation experience etc.

Anyway, I appreciate the forthright response.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Console_Reference.jpg

PrideBanner_All_1080.jpg

GAYMING-PRIDE-.jpg

tenor.gif

Are you kidding me?

The irony of your post is unreal.

Genuine question: Would you consider yourself a fanboy?
You didn't answer any of my questions and are asking about me personally. Alright. I like Raekwon the Chef and the work he and Ghostface have collaborated on are classics. Only Built for Cuban Links is a classic album. Golden era of hip-hop if you ask me.

With that out of the way care to actually engage with the topic of the thread or should we talk more about music?

It seem it's very important for you to be friends with a big international company. Newsflash, they don't know you and all they want is your money.
Who said anything about friends? I said MS has a much more engaged social media presence and they act like humans as supposed to robots. You have any evidence what I said isn't true? All companies want money nothing I said points to the contrary. It's just that so many PlayStation fans seem to be upset Xbox has fans; I explained why.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Game pass been killing it all year, had some industry shaking buy outs, launch of a new console. Seems like a great year to me.

Raekwon26

You didn't answer any of my questions and are asking about me personally. Alright. I like Raekwon the Chef and the work he and Ghostface have collaborated on are classics. Only Built for Cuban Links is a classic album. Golden era of hip-hop if you ask me.

With that out of the way care to actually engage with the topic of the thread or should we talk more about music?

What question was there to answer? About Sony making multiplayer games? How stupid is that? There were are over 4000+ PS4 games, if I wanted to play a multiplayer game I would just play one of them. Is it supposed to mean more if it comes from Sony?

Or the other nonsense of Xbox with more friendly people communicating with us from the higher-ups? Who gives a shit? I don't need that or particularly want (and it seems the majority of gamers if you look at sales numbers and what brands are actually pushing the most content) or need that.

I mean this here is just.......... ahhhhh.

MS actually acts likes it's run by human beings where Sony seems pretty lifeless. On top of that the biggest Sony titles are all single player so there isn't much feeling like you are part of a community.

Mr Moose

Who knew a game system that's been out for 6.5 months could be rounded up to 12 months.
They are using SenjutsuSage's math.

It's probably like E elliot5 said above.

Top Bottom