• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm so scared that next gen xbox will not be successful

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
Like I was so scared that Switch be like wiiU 2.0 before launch. I don't think I'm mentally ready, the failure of sega has always traumatized me.

Theoretically there is almost no chance that it will not work:

Game Pass and other great services
Really good consoles
15 First party studios
Pro consumer
big US / UK supports

???
Don’t tie yourself to consoles emotionally my dude. Despite what you might read here or elsewhere, Xbox could do just as well next gen as they did this gen and still be fine, but given the overall investment and trust from MS/Satya, the only way is up. They’re not going to overtake Sony or Nintendo but they’ll make up at least a little ground and they’ll compete, that’s all we really need. Just relax.

Oh I think Xbox learned their lesson, hence the multiple studio acquisitions in the last couple of years, the emphasis the Series X being first and foremost a gaming platform and not a "multi-media center," and of course as you said the Game Pass, and backward compatibility. If they fail this time, it'll be extraordinary to be honest. Phil Spencer took over and worked REALLY hard to earn back the trust of the players.

i think you need to take some Xanax. MSFT is close to a trillion dollar company, they are doing much better than Xbox One release and the console is not even out yet, and they have yet to show a full showing like Sony.

Just simma down now

C8P5rqK.jpg

Major_Key Major_Key how old are you? Cause if you are below 18, you will need your parents to take you to a doctor to get some xanax

Last edited:

Bkdk

Banned
Not sure what you mean by will not work, however if it really does not work, Microsoft will focus 100% back on PC and it will be one of my gaming wildest dream come true !
Would be so awesome if they are back to pumping out lots of RTS and simulation games for the PC again, now with so much more money as well.

Vawn

Banned
Like I was so scared that Switch be like wiiU 2.0 before launch. I don't think I'm mentally ready, the failure of sega has always traumatized me.

Really good consoles
15 First party studios
Pro consumer
big US / UK supports

Great post. Great thread. TOTY contender for sure.

I feel you man, I'm scared of all sorts of really dumb shit too!

I always live in a state of panic and fear that I'll slam my car door on my penis. I hired a guy to come close my door once I'm at a safe distance. His name is Richard and he's training to be a paramedic. That will be useful once he's driving an ambulance and he can't close my door anymore because if I slam myself after that he can come in the ambulance to cut me free!

giphy.gif

I'm sure Xbox will be fine. Microsoft supported the Zune from 2006 - 2011 even though it was failure out of the gate. I think they'll stick with something that makes them some money and pulls in subscribers to their services too.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

Really good consoles
15 First party studios
Pro consumer
big US / UK supports
il_794xN.2263344200_m0dl.jpg

Vognerful

Look, I think you are just invested a lot of your emotions into this stupid console war stuff. I don't blame as I also fall into similar trap. As others have said, the machines or companies? You have to think of them as how they will serve you, not the other way around.

The world is much bigger than just video games and if one company failed, then you look for another one that will give you more benefit for your money. Don't fall into brand loyalty. Trust me when I say this because it makes it much easier for me if I want to surf the net and read all this crap about console wars. If you have the money to buy both consoles then go for it.

Also, regardless what you hear other people says, MSFT still sold around 50 million console. That is enough to turn a profit at the end of the day with all active buyers and subscription. You should not look into if they are going to beat Sony next gen in console sales because that is not the full picture to them. If you decide not to buy the new xsx and instead bought a new PC, no problem. It is your money and you do whatever you want. You don't have to prove anything to Sony, MSFT, sonyboys, xboxers or others.

Sorry if it was a bit long, as I sometimes also fall into this shit.

Jesus OP. Is English your first language?

It's really hard to understand what you're trying to say here.

But going off your thread title, no you don't have to be scared that next gen Xbox won't work.

Xbox is doing fine. They will always be around and they have good services and games. They are focused on getting more studios and better content out for next gen. I would wait until their reveal next month to judge.
Either way they will be successful next gen.

Barakov

Gold Member
I thought this was going to be about how Xbox consoles always seem to have something go wrong with them(ie. they stop working for some reason or another.)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It'll be alright man. Xbox is doing fine. If you gauge whether it's working or not based on performance of PS5 sales-wise, your mind is in the wrong place.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Kinda know that feel. I'm always scared of Nintendo going third-party. Microsoft and Sony are diversified companies, they have other businesses they can rely on if their gaming business takes a hit one generation. But gaming is all Nintendo has. They can probably take a hit one generation, but not two in a row. Thank goodness for Wii and Switch.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Don't tie yourself up emotionally to a console. That's not healthy at all and no company is worth it.

MS will be fine, even if the Xbox fails to sell well. It's important to note that this gen MS are taking a different route and care more about selling software and Gamepass subs then selling consoles.

For example, it's pointless for me to buy the XSX because I'm getting a high-end PC at the end of the year. With that I'll be able to play all the exclusive games that normally I'd need a Xbox to play. MS don't care because they're still getting my money and I'm getting to play the games on my PC.

Even if the XSX fails to light up the world, I wouldn't bother shedding a tear for MS. They're a trillion dollar company and honestly will be fine even if the XSX is DOA. Maybe a new hobby is needed?

People are way too emotionally attached to products and big businesses.

Xbox aren't going to go anywhere this gen, and seem happy enough being the also ran of gaming.

They'll never be serious competition for Sony or Nintendo, but they found their niche being a cheap, streamlined and stripped down PC instead.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I believe it will definitely be bigger than the X1. They’re making all the right moves to bring back some fans of the 360.

the BC alone is a great incentive. I’d be more worried about investing in the PlayStation ecosystem due to how they do BC and not being sure we won’t have issues the gen after this one.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

They'll be fine. Anyway Game Pass and its continued growth is the most important thing now for MS. The service has a huge userbase and keeps adding very good value games so I assume many people will stick with it even after their 1$/month subscriptions will eventually end.

Last edited:

Komatsu

If you add Nintendo and Sony's market cap together and multiply it by 10, you come close to Microsoft's 1.43T cap value.

SEGA was a small company, perennially punching above its weight. MSFT absolutely dwarfs Sony and Nintendo - they're not leagues, but light-years apart when it comes to operating revenue, total assets, etc. etc.

Gaming is a nice income stream for the company, an industry where they can test the tools that are driving their 20-year plan (virtualization, cloud, etc.). It keeps Microsoft in the public eye, it's something their employees can bring home.

Sony is shifting their streaming and online services to Azure and it would not be surprising if Nintendo does the same in the next five years. We can debate who will sell more consoles till we get blue in the face but Nadella, Zander and Spencer are laughing all the way to the bank.

As a long term PS fan (since 1998), I can say that MS are in a much better position now than they were in the current gen. In the current gen, they messed up from day one:

No used games announcement.
Terrible E3 presentation.
Focus on Kinect.
Worse performing machine.
More expensive machine.

It didn't help that in the years that followed they turned out many so-so exclusives and their new IPs didn't exactly engage with the audience.

This time around, they've got the powerful machine and they're focusing on games, rather than Kinect, TV, etc.

There are a few ways they could mess up here, though:

XSX is too expensive.
All too focused on BC rather than turning up games that show off the XSX.
Meh exclusives.
Having nothing like Horizon, God of War, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, The Last of Us ... (these are all pretty tough to beat)
Their brand reputation not being what it once was, especially compared to PlayStation.
Developers move away from Gamepass, as their returns are lower than selling full price titles.
Something utterly disastrous, such as the XSX overheating, leading to another Red Ring debacle.

Bankai

Hm.. I don't think it's healthy to be scared for a company like Microsoft. Their succes will depend on demand. If Xbox Series X is a dud, then it just wasn't meant to be and people choose something else.

Competition is always a good thing, therefor I hope Xbox will be succesful.

But hey, it's a brand.. a company. Dont be scared for it, let capitalism do its thing.

ToadMan

Really good consoles
15 First party studios
Pro consumer
big US / UK supports

I think if they fail to make a big dent this coming gen, MS drop the console hardware business. They’ll figure 360 was the high water mark. I can see a branded line of Xbox-ready PCs with a living room form factor - but no more custom hardware.

On the one hand, as consumers we need competition, on the other hand MS aren’t really up to it on the evidence of the last 15 years.

So if they can’t commit properly it’s better they leave a space for a consumer electronics company to occupy.

The studios MS has aren’t in a position offer AAA games yet - they might start appearing in 2023 - the gen is near half over by then and Sony will have an unassailable lead.

Gamepass doesn’t lock people into the platform. In fact it makes it easier to just dip in and out.

So that leaves MS track record for sales performance. And their track record isn’t good.

There’s no magic bullet in my opinion. The Xsex launch can be ignored - the “big” news is that MS is finally gonna release Halo this Christmas.

It’s just a coincidence Xsex is launching the same time given it’s not required to play that game.

Halo is playable on 4 platforms - 3 of which most Halo fans already have - maybe 5 if Lockhart comes out.

Their strategy won’t lead to the big dent I started by saying they’d need. That means this is MS last hardware gen in my opinion.

In fact that’s probably the best sales pitch MS have - “please buy our console, we’re not making another one and when they’re all sold we’re not manufacturing any more.”

MS jump out after that first round of 1st party games don’t make an impact, and xsex gets a stream of too late games from the first party’s that are decent to good, and people have fond memories.

The future is a company like LG or Samsung. They’re the ones who know how to compete for the “living room” and would derive real value from having a gaming console alongside their product lineup. I want to see what they could produce with MS not blocking entry.

cormack12

Gold Member
They survived XB1...

Pretty much this. I don't think it's possible to have another gen like this one where everything from launch was an absolute disaster. They're out the gate with power and have a game event coming up. If they set a nice price point then it will be appealable to a lot of people. A swing doesn't happen without having a sizeable amount of the target market who is open to 'switching'. And those who play the latest COD, FIFA, Madden etc. just want the cheapest path to the latest tech.

Sakura

Really good consoles
15 First party studios
Pro consumer
big US / UK supports
I wish it was a Wii U 2.0
Gimme back Miiverse

Kagey K

Banned
If your financial living doesn’t depend on MIcrosoft it doesn’t really matter to you.

Why would you be scared they are going to disappear?

I personally hope they stay on the backfoot, because when they are, they do better things for their customers.

I imagine they will find more success with the series X then they did with the Xbox one, but I hope its not too much and they continue having to do things to make their customer happy.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I edited the thread title a little bit.

Something like "...scared the new xbox wont work" but it was clearly an English mistake, and wont work meant, wont be successful (as sega).

Hope the OP is ok with the edit ;)

Shmunter

I’m going PS5 to disclose my preference, but Xbox cross gen gaming philosophy is highly off putting. Suspect it’s all bull tho.

INC

Gold Member
Itll be fine, plus with game pass and crossplay, the community will still be strong regardless

Dont worry dude

Top Bottom