• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm so scared that next gen xbox will not be successful

etp_1

giphy.gif

Or are you a MS Shareholder?

Woodchipper

Ok, so I’m what some would call a PlayStation fanboy, but I would never care if they “win” over Xbox or not. They may very well “lose” to Xbox next gen, but the games I’m interested in are on PlayStation (and Nintendo) that’s all I care about.

Xbox not being as successful as you hope they’ll be doesn’t stop you from loving it, does it? I don’t get it. What is there to be scared about exactly?

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
big UK supports
UK is PlayStation land, my friend.

If winning to you is selling more boxes, they aren't going to win because they've never outsold PlayStation. As a service company, their best chance of winning is making their games available everywhere and selling gamepass on Nintendo and PlayStation. That would be a real win, because I'd buy gamepass if it was on PS5 and I have no intention of ever buying MS hardware.

Last edited:
How is this even remotely comparable to Sega?

Xbox division is turning healthy profit. They have snagged a ton of studios recently. Phil himself has said Satya has given him blank cheques signed to do basically whatever he wants.

TLZ

Banned
Well you tell us you're scared but your reasons are all about why you shouldn't be.

Are you confused? :/

Silvawuff

Honestly, I think Microsoft has the right idea for pushing a services-focused strategy over their hardware., which is pretty beefy anyway. It's carving a good market niche and it encourages a lot of good market behaviors. They've come a long way from the OG beer 'n pizza console they came up with 10,000 years ago. You'll have a lot of good options.

Danny 117

There's nothing to worry about as the other posters said. Xbox isn't going anywhere! If they were able to survive the XB1 launch they can survive anything.

sircaw

Banned
At the end of the day, if Xbox fails to deliver, you will still be able to offload it to someone for a couple of hundred bucks and then get yourself a ps5.

Stop worrying about how successful a console is going to be and concentrate more on the games you want to play and enjoy.

If you don't own shares in their company why do you worry so much,

They do not care about you, why do you care so much about them.

Ten_Fold

Phil already said they are not too concerned with selling units, they want to see gamepass, it’s $1 to start right now, and it’s $15 a month to share Console/PC games. You usually get new games that just released. They will be fine trust me OP.

sol_bad

Like I was so scared that Switch be like wiiU 2.0 before launch. I don't think I'm mentally ready, the failure of sega has always traumatized me.

Theoretically there is almost no chance that it will not work:

Game Pass and other great services
Really good consoles
15 First party studios
Pro consumer
big US / UK supports

Don't be scared young child. If it fails you can still play MS games on PC and PS5.

Amory

I do think it's gonna be a bumpy ride. They have a lot of ground to make up exclusives-wise. I know they have a lot of new studios, but I already know I like Sony's stuff. So realistically there's no way i'm not buying a PS5 way before I get an xbox.

MS also seems more content to frame XSX as an iterative improvement rather than a 'line in the sand' next gen box. I think it's a risky strategy. If I'm spending $500 or $600 on a console, I want it to feel like its own thing. All this crossplay and gamepass stuff is good value, but it also kinda lumps next-gen in with the Xbox One

Yoda

Microsoft's achilles heel is there weak first party when compared to Sony. I generally don't care for either companies first party games, but it's impossible to not acknowledge that Sony has methodically cultivated some amazing home grown talent. GIven that most 3rd party games are on each platform and play roughly the same, why buy a Xbox?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox Live is the best online service and if Halo continues people will continue to buy Xboxs.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Don't worry Phil and co are happy remaining in third place
Third place did stadia pass them? There is only 2 players in the home console business. Nintendo is cleaning up the in hand held sector for sure. No there is no such thing as a hybrid if it is designed around a battery it is a mobile device.

Some people are scared of where their next meal will come from; I'm scared of dying. You it seems is scared if a console will be successful or not.

You need help

Sony have a lot of fans, so i expect Sony to still have a lead next gen. But all things considered, i think this race will be incredibly close. The closest weve ever seen.

First of all in terms of console sales, yes, MS will undoubtedly "lose" some console customers that will just stick to the PC instead. Thats an option now. But in terms of overall game sales, i dont think MS will lose any. I fact i think they will be higher than ever. PC + xbox one + XSX = a lot more potential people this time around.

When MS were dominant in the console market with the 360, Sony had screwed up their launch. They were arrogant and it was too expensive. That wont happen this time around.

When Sony dominated with ps4, MS had screwed up their launch. They did not put gamers first, the hardware was weak and more expensive. That wont happen this time around.

I fully expect this next gen race to be the closest weve ever seen, and thats a good thing.

Last edited:
Third place did stadia pass them? There is only 2 players in the home console business. Nintendo is cleaning up the in hand held sector for sure. No there is no such thing as a hybrid if it is designed around a battery it is a mobile device.

You're that desperate to put them in 2nd place you'll come up with dumbass definitions :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Birdo

Banned
I actually want one of them to go under, so the other can pick up the studios.

Imagine a single console where you could play Forza and Gran Turismo...

sublimit

Banned
I actually want one of them to go under, so the other can pick up the studios.

Imagine a single console where you could play Forza and Gran Turismo...
If one of them goes under (doesn't matter which one) we all better start lubing our asses.

The PS2 generation was one of the best generations out there, and by all intent and purposes Sony had a monopoly on the market. Tons of great games came out, insane variety too. That gen was also followed up with a highly contested generation by all market players, as the lesser participants stepped up (MS w X360, Nintendo w Wii). If MS bails due to failure, it's gonna be fine. It's just the market making its voice heard and handing verdict. They still have one gen to prove they belong.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
If it's not, I am sure they will continue on with Gamespass and Xcloud.... it's not my cup of tea but you can get your 'Xbox fix' there at least.

Maybe try PlayStation or Nintendo? If you want to continue with console?

Top Bottom