• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm two-and-a-half books into The Wheel of Time. Here are my thoughts so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTmAn81

This was one of my favorite series when I was younger. I enjoyed everything up until book 10, which is one of the worst fantasy books I've ever read. The plot in books 10 and 11 simply grinds to a halt. Luckily Sanderson finishes strong with the last three.

Regiruler

This was one of my favorite series when I was younger. I enjoyed everything up until book 10, which is one of the worst fantasy books I've ever read. The plot in books 10 and 11 simply grinds to a halt. Luckily Sanderson finishes strong with the last three.

11 was fantastic. It literally started with a
deathmatch between Galahad and Valda

I'm on Book 6 and though I am enjoying it still, I can feel the pace slowing down to a crawl, and am slowly becoming disinterested.

Does anyone have another suggestion for a fantasy series? I've read Stormlight, Mistborn, and Kingkiller. Ideally looking for something with some good action, and perhaps with a lot of 'badassery' - a Han Solo or Indiana Jones, to rival Kaladin/Rand&Matt.

The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. There is no one as badass as Logen Ninefingers.

MartyStu

By the end of the series
Androl and Pevara
had become my favorite characters not named Matrim. (And they don't show up until the last book!) Also, if I remember correctly,
Androl
was give to Sanderson to be his own unique character.

Yeah those two manage to easily be some of the best characters in the series.

Honestly, I think if I ever get a perverse desire to re-read the series, I will probably just read all of Mats chapters and the last 3 books of the series. Only things worth re-reading as far as I am concerned.

The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. There is no one as badass as Logen Ninefingers.

I take your First Law, and raise you Best Served Cold. Also by Abercrombie.

Grewitch

A lot of people don't care for Eddings works but I found his Belgariad and Mallorean series quite good reads. If you want something a little less intense but with some decent fantasy and sorcery give these a go. Much lighter reads.

Link to the first 3 of 10 books.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345456327/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Good recommendation. I don't what it was with the Belgardiad, but i read that series over ten times while I was at school. Just rally easy to get through. It has some issues but it's a fun adventure with likeable characters.

Stop before it's too late.

I really loved it early on, especially The Great Hunt, but after finishing the fifth book I had to be done, it really just gets to be such a slog and I really grew to hate about half the PoV characters.

Good to see people here are right about Mat being the obvious best character though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom