• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum- Your PC isn't ready for UE5 (PC System Requirements Analysis)

canopylions

Neo Member
I've been playing on PC since 1995, never had the highest end PC my dad mostly got me what was in his budget and managed to scale my game settings accordingly and that's one of the boons of PC gaming.

For example I'm running CP2077 on a mix of ultra/high and stuff like shadows on medium on an i7 4790 and gtx1070, set a max 40fps ceiling using MSI Afterburner and for me it's running well all things considered. People don't have to shoot for max settings for a great gaming experience.
For sure, more than likely the same can be done for this game for a playable experience.

I'm talking about the graphics, the way the game looks. It's just ugly.
I guess this comes down to personal taste but I truly dont get how you can call it ugly and the worst game you've ever seen. Graphically this looks great.

Banned
I've been playing on PC since 1995, never had the highest end PC my dad mostly got me what was in his budget and managed to scale my game settings accordingly and that's one of the boons of PC gaming.

For example I'm running CP2077 on a mix of ultra/high and stuff like shadows on medium on an i7 4790 and gtx1070, set a max 40fps ceiling using MSI Afterburner and for me it's running well all things considered. People don't have to shoot for max settings for a great gaming experience.

have you ever tried running RT Overdrive on that card? Im curious how it would run on it lol

Red5

have you ever tried running RT Overdrive on that card? Im curious how it would run on it lol

GTX 10 series don't support RT at all since they lack they hardware cores for them, it's greyed out in the options for me. But I did try Quake 2 RTX, ran like a slideshow, watching molasses drip was faster. My next upgrade is probably a year out, depending on my finances.

Banned
GTX 10 series don't support RT at all since they lack they hardware cores for them, it's greyed out in the options for me. But I did try Quake 2 RTX, ran like a slideshow, watching molasses drip was faster. My next upgrade is probably a year out, depending on my finances.

that's weird. pretty sure CP2077 got a patch to support RT with GTX cards a while ago.
and yes the GTX10 series does support RT, but it's a game by game thing if it's enabled or not for those cards.

for example the 1080ti can run many games at a similar level as the current consoles with RT enabled, in games that support it, like Watch Dogs Legion

Quake 2 does run at playable framerates if you use the dynamic res option. 720p30 should be possible on it.

The most played games on PC aren't even pushing a 4060.

The tiny (just look at a steam hardware survey) group of people with a high end PC are dominant on internet forums but they don't actually matter.

Alright, I'll be playing on a console so good luck to us console gamers. Although I'm totally okay to play on 30 fps and games are usually well optimized on Consoles than PC's so I'll keep my expectations positive.

joshwaan

Well I have 5800x3d and 32gb memory ssd 7000mb sec and 6900xt I bet get at least 20 fps or its straight bad coding😆

BBG

Neo Member
Alright, I'll be playing on a console so good luck to us console gamers. Although I'm totally okay to play on 30 fps and games are usually well optimized on Consoles than PC's so I'll keep my expectations positive.
You're fine with playing a FPS with a 30fps cap? Bless your heart, I'm gonna have to wait for a mid gen console release or something before even attempting to play this game

Elysium44

Banned
So this game looks like Doom Eternal which runs at a locked 60fps on a base PS4 but now strangely has absurdly heavy requirements. What is going on in the games development industry, has everyone gotten stupid? It's very tiresome.

pasterpl

My pc is ready. Got a feeling that even pro consoles will be delivering sub top-Line pc performance in most games and I might find myself playing more on pc vs consoles.

Ywap

The game looks interesting to me. I have a 12700k/3080 10gb so i'm a bit below but on the other hand i only play at 1600 x 1200.

Anyway, UE stuttering is almost mandatory these days so framerates alone doesn't tell the whole story. Let's see when the day comes 🧐

Spyxos

Gold Member
The game looks interesting to me. I have a 12700k/3080 10gb so i'm a bit below but on the other hand i only play at 1600 x 1200.

Anyway, UE stuttering is almost mandatory these days so framerates alone doesn't tell the whole story. Let's see when the day comes 🧐
nvm misread.

Last edited:

raduque

Yes this is next gen. Time to move on from ps4 engine 2011 specs games
If by "ps4 engine 2011 spec games" you mean "games that look great and run well", I'll keep my "ps4 engine 2011 spec games", cause 2023 engine spec games, if they're all like this, they look like garbage.

Spyxos

Gold Member

Immortals of Aveum is a single-player first-person magic shooter developed by Ascendant Studios. Take a look at the brand new cinematic for the game that debuted a San Diego Comic-Con 2023. The cinematic depicts Jak returning with the Binding Stone, a powerful artifact he was meant to destroy, not keep. He believes he made the right choice and strives to convince Kirkan, the leader of the Immortals, that it indeed was the right play. Immortals of Aveum is launching on August 22 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S|X, and PC.

Last edited:
This does not really look that great.

What would be cool is a magic crysis type game, with destructible trees and whatnot.

Tbh graphics are getting kinda stale in general, we should bring back physics

I'll gett off my soapbox now

VN1X

Banned
Still think it looks like a fun shooter with some AAA-stylings. Can't hate it.

Won't be picking it up for full price though, despite the big budget presentation I will wait for a sale before jumping on.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Still think it looks like a fun shooter with some AAA-stylings. Can't hate it.

Won't be picking it up for full price though, despite the big budget presentation I will wait for a sale before jumping on.
I'll definitely try it on GP. Should be a fun 2024. Dead Space, Jedi Survivor, Immortals.

Nothing I have seen looked mighty impressive to me- as do no new games in general- but whatever, their choice.
Imho developers are dumb if they limit their target audience by not supporting slightly older GPUs. I'd say down to 970GTX, at least the common 1060, should still do fine. Without RT of course. What other fundamental feature is not supported beyond that? What makes this the equivalent to the first T&L titles or like Doom3? (Edit: seems like 2080/2 series comes basically from Epic themselves. shit engine then imho.) The only limits that should be set today are if you need a strong CPU. Either fast or core number or both. Downgrading there might change the essence of a game and might alter/ruin it entirely, but having sky high demands for GPUs exactly in the times of diminishing returns appears just stupid- especially if your game does not look like a must have title, neither a graphics showcase nor super interesting overall.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

UE5 will be DOA if the consoles don't work properly with it, as long as we get a 1080p60 on consoles, I'm okay with it. I just don't want to regress back to 30fps.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I play videogames not hardware. A game isn't good just because it pushes your system- although I suspect some PC gamers consider games to be tech demos for the real game: building a PC.

This maybe one of my top 5 post on GAF this year!!!

mckmas8808

UE5 will be DOA if the consoles don't work properly with it, as long as we get a 1080p60 on consoles, I'm okay with it. I just don't want to regress back to 30fps.

The honest truth is, 30fps isn't a regression at all. But for some reason, not enough gamers seem to understand why 30fps will never go away. As much as devs can say it's a design choice, not enough gamers seem to believe or understand that.

Bojji

1080 with (TSR) reconstruction wouldn't look bad. But we have ue4 games with sub 720p and sub 30fps franerate...

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

The honest truth is, 30fps isn't a regression at all. But for some reason, not enough gamers seem to understand why 30fps will never go away. As much as devs can say it's a design choice, not enough gamers seem to believe or understand that.
30fps is a design choice, and it was made by the belief that gamers would prefer better IQ vs performance. I don't think that's the case anymore, we are already approaching the diminishing returns territory, it's much more noticeable to have a game running at 60fps than at native 4k. Those consoles have telemetry, and I'm sure Microsoft and Sony know damn well how people choose to enjoy their games. Instead of defending 30fps in gaming, we will be much better served if the community is vocal about what we want and value.
1080 with (TSR) reconstruction wouldn't look bad. But we have ue4 games with sub 720p and sub 30fps franerate...
I agree, I don't really care much about native resolution, FPS is way more important to me.

mckmas8808

30fps is a design choice, and it was made by the belief that gamers would prefer better IQ vs performance. I don't think that's the case anymore, we are already approaching the diminishing returns territory, it's much more noticeable to have a game running at 60fps than at native 4k. Those consoles have telemetry, and I'm sure Microsoft and Sony know damn well how people choose to enjoy their games. Instead of defending 30fps in gaming, we will be much better served if the community is vocal about what we want and value.

But 30fps isn't just about what resolution a game runs in. It also includes things like particle effects, lighting, ray tracing, real-time physics, full dynamic worlds, etc. And your assumption is that the majority of gamers like 60 fps games over 30 fps games. And data shows that's just incorrect.

Most gamers would rather have a game in 30 fps that has better lighting, ray tracing, or physics; than 60 fps without these things.

Immortals of Aveum is a single-player first-person magic shooter developed by Ascendant Studios. Take a look at the brand new cinematic for the game that debuted a San Diego Comic-Con 2023. The cinematic depicts Jak returning with the Binding Stone, a powerful artifact he was meant to destroy, not keep. He believes he made the right choice and strives to convince Kirkan, the leader of the Immortals, that it indeed was the right play. Immortals of Aveum is launching on August 22 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S|X, and PC.

Hmm...the facial animations are not impressive at all. Very stiff and wooden. And the voice acting and writing....ughhh

Last edited:

Rykan

But 30fps isn't just about what resolution a game runs in. It also includes things like particle effects, lighting, ray tracing, real-time physics, full dynamic worlds, etc. And your assumption is that the majority of gamers like 60 fps games over 30 fps games. And data shows that's just incorrect.

Most gamers would rather have a game in 30 fps that has better lighting, ray tracing, or physics; than 60 fps without these things.
What Data?

Last edited:

darrylgorn

I can't remember the last time I bought an EA game.

I don't know what's going with them these days but they need to do much better or they'll be the next acquisition target.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

That looks terrible. It's a mix of uncanny valley, bad writing and subpar acting.

Ev1L AuRoN

I disagree, you can take PC gaming as an example, RT is often ignored in the name of high refresh rates. I'm sure we can achieve better overall quality if we stick with 30fps, but as long as the developers allows the game to scale down in order to achieve 60 people will take the hit in IQ to have better performance every time. I'm not against a 30fps mode with all the bells and whistles. I just want us to have the option to play at 60 no matter the hit in IQ necessary to achieve it.

mckmas8808

What Data?

Colin Moriarty talked about hearing that the data that devs are getting is that most gamers are "choosing" 30fps over 60fps in games that offer both. He said this on his podcast.

I disagree, you can take PC gaming as an example, RT is often ignored in the name of high refresh rates. I'm sure we can achieve better overall quality if we stick with 30fps, but as long as the developers allows the game to scale down in order to achieve 60 people will take the hit in IQ to have better performance every time. I'm not against a 30fps mode with all the bells and whistles. I just want us to have the option to play at 60 no matter the hit in IQ necessary to achieve it.

So far most gamers are choosing 30fps with extras. Maybe that changes 5 years from now.

Rykan

Colin Moriarty talked about hearing that the data that devs are getting is that most gamers are "choosing" 30fps over 60fps in games that offer both. He said this on his podcast.

So far most gamers are choosing 30fps with extras. Maybe that changes 5 years from now.
Sorry, but hearsay is not data. Especially without context.

Which Dev? Which studio? Which Platform? All games in general or just particular games? If it was for all games, how would that dev have access to that information?

Fortunately, we do have some data available: Xbox keeps track of the most played games and there's something interesting: The top most played games all run at 60 FPS. In fact, 60 FPS games are by far the most popular games being played.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Sorry, but hearsay is not data. Especially without context.

Which Dev? Which studio? Which Platform? All games in general or just particular games? If it was for all games, how would that dev have access to that information?

Fortunately, we do have some data available: Xbox keeps track of the most played games and there's something interesting: The top most played games all run at 60 FPS. In fact, 60 FPS games are by far the most popular games being played.
I don't believe that's the case at all, every pool and article I read and my own experience in forums and real life tell me that performance is pretty much a default for most players, and it makes sense, 60fps is way more noticeable than RT, most games look exactly the same between performance and quality thanks to image reconstruction, there are very few drawbacks in choosing performance mode.

Top Bottom