• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imo MS locking at sustained speeds is a mistake to be corrected

sircaw

Banned
Both sides were gloating as much as each other, it’s not exclusive to one side. I did my fair share too but at least I can admit it unlike some.

As I said though, the difference is minuscule especially compared to XB1 vs PS4 so it’s literally nothing to worry about.

yer ps5 fans were gloating, About reaching Parity, come off it dude, you know that's just bull.

Have you ever heard the team with the lower number Gloat, you got to be joking.

And the difference is not minuscule its amazing that the ps5 has managed to get to parity while having that far of a disadvantage vs that much raw silicone power.

You guys tried to nail sony people to the cross, we came back at you, it is what it is, but saying otherwise is just not right.

Have i been a bad bad boy the last couple of weeks, i have, do i have some regrets in perhaps twisting the knife in a bit deep, to some people yes, but there are others that still have not learned their lesson, even yesterday there were people once again spreading fud. When does it end?

Godfavor

Nobody is missing that... Series X chip indeed support all RDNA 2 feature set.

The CUs and Front-end are RDNA1.

BTW when questioned about MS claim he said:

He is talking about architecture level... AMD GPUs have a modular architecture and can use different versions of the modules.
Series X CUs are not different from RDNA1 CUs... they don't have the RDNA2 CUs changes.

Look at the Van Goog APU (he corrected the watts in a newer posts... is 7.5-18W).

No way, the power consumption of a 12 tf rdna1 card would be way higher than the typical total system power of 200watt tdp of series x.

ethomaz

Banned
No way, the power consumption of a 12 tf rdna1 card would be way higher than the typical total system power of 200watt tdp of series x.
That is not true... they are using enhanced 7nm from TSMC that has a good gain in power consumption.
It is not the same node used in Navi 10.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Yep to all of that. The PS5 was designed by pure engineers. The XSX to me seems like it was designed with a few too many execs in the room.
Not that far off.. It was designed with two different purposes in mind, so compromises were inevitable.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the Series S, but the fact that MS also wanted a suitable SoC for their xCloud servers.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OyUDmPd.gif

AdmiredEachJackal-small.gif

Godfavor

Wut?

Rise of The Tomb Raider.

PS5: 107W
Xbox: 151W

Same game.
PS5 have way lower power consumption.

peak is about 200-210 watt in both.

How series x has 52 cu's at 1825 mhz and be rdna 1 DCU and has the same TDP as ps5 with 36Cu's at 2230?

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
yer ps5 fans were gloating, About reaching Parity, come off it dude, you know that's just bull.

Have you ever heard the team with the lower number Gloat, you got to be joking.

And the difference is not minuscule its amazing that the ps5 has managed to get to parity while having that far of a disadvantage vs that much raw silicone power.

You guys tried to nail sony people to the cross, we came back at you, it is what it is, but saying otherwise is just not right.

Have i been a bad bad boy the last couple of weeks, i have, do i have some regrets in perhaps twisting the knife in a bit deep, to some people yes, but there are others that still have not learned their lesson, even yesterday there were people once again spreading fud. When does it end?
I know saying that series x was not designed by engineers the FUD gets worse here every day from one side. Enjoy trying to play victim when your side is just as guilty.

Papacheeks

Banned

PS5 is custom, and was ,made with different customizations some of which are in RDNA 3.

Though the chip is RDNA 2 based arc, the way it's implemented with "other" Sony customizations differs in it's feature set compared to XBox series X rdna 2 chip.

sircaw

Banned
I know saying that series x was not designed by engineers the FUD gets worse here every day from one side. Enjoy trying to play victim when your side is just as guilty.

that's just poor from you, you know it and i know it.

the vast majority of fud came from one side, accept it and stop damage controlling for an environment that was created by the vast majority of your peers.

this has been gone over many many times, this conversation is done, accept it and move on.

quest

Not Banned from OT

How series x has 52 cu's at 1825 mhz and be rdna 1 DCU and has the same TDP as ps5 with 36Cu's at 2230?
It plays into the daily series x wishful thinking- bad news cycle this place is stuck on repeat. About 50% of the posts here are on those lines lately. Which is hilarious to be honest.

PS5 is custom, and was ,made with different customizations some of which are in RDNA 3.

Though the chip is RDNA 2 based arc, the way it's implemented with "other" Sony customizations differs in it's feature set compared to XBox series X rdna 2 chip.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: youre one of those people, i think were done here.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No thanks. I prefer the fixed clock speeds.

ethomaz

Banned

There is no game that reaches peak in Xbox yet.
What are you talking about?

Miles Morales (the most stressing PS5 game) reaches close to 200w.

Now I agree DF could have tested power consumption in Valhalla and DMC.... their articles are becoming less and less informative.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
:messenger_tears_of_joy: youre one of those people, i think were done here.

one of what? You can go look it up there are customizations sony has with their chip and made dedicated chips and customizations to go along with it. Their RDNA 2 chip does not work 100% the same way Microsoft's RDNA 2 chip does.

Hence why in that respect you are right they are missing true RDNA 2 features you will see on xbox that reflect the actual PC rdna 2 variant chips.

There's a lot of substantial info out there about customizations that were done specific for sony because of their own chips they created for ssd I/O. On top of their own API so there for PC style gpu features found in RDNA 2 dont matter as much to them because they have their own.

So go ahead and lol.

My point still stands that Sony's solution is custom, while mcirosofts is more straight forward PC arc with console customizations but with PC based api that will use full RDNA 2 feature set.

Sony has their own feature set that is the equivalent of said features.

Godfavor

There is no game that reaches peak in Xbox yet.
What are you talking about?

Miles Morales (the most stressing PS5 game) reaches close to 200w.

Gears 5 reaches 210 watt and it is 2080 level of performance
Can you explain to me how series x manages 12 TF with RDNA1 DCU's and 210 watt TDP? Same TDP as PS5?

ethomaz

Banned
Gears 5 reaches 210 watt and it is 2080 level of performance
Can you explain to me how series x manages 12 TF with RDNA1 DCU's and 210 watt TDP? Same TDP as PS5?
Gears 5 reaches 210w? That is already shows Series X consumes more.

BTW it is below RTX 2080 performance from what DF showed.

Last edited:

Godfavor

Yes it stresses the series x to the max, while using mesh shaders. SFS and velocity are not used though.

Let me explain: This means that 12.1 TF were delivered with a 210 watt power consumption, GPU power is -20watt at leat if we exlude the CPU power requirements. RTX 2080 uses about 240watt alone. This means that the 12TF GPU of series x performs the same as of a 2080 while using 50watts less.

Miles morales uses 200 watt TDP while at 10.3 TF APU system.
Can you see that the power consumption is comperable?

CobraXT

Banned

During a race in the version of Forza Horizon 4 optimized for the Series X, we saw a peak of 169.2 watts. In Gears 5, another optimized game, it peaked at 192 watts, though was largely in the high 180's.

Advertisement

In a backwards compatible game, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, the system pulled a peak of 148.1 watts.

Those are all lower numbers than what we saw with PS5 launch titles. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, pulled a peak of 225.5 watts in both fidelity mode (4K, ray tracing, 30 fps) and performance mode (4K upscaling, 60 fps). Astro's Playroom peaked at 224.2 watts.

224.2 watts for fucking Astro playroom, you need to stop spreading the FUD

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yes it stresses the series x to the max, while using mesh shaders. SFS and velocity are not used though.

Let me explain: This means that 12.1 TF were delivered with a 210 watt power consumption, GPU power is -20watt at leat if we exlude the CPU power requirements. RTX 2080 uses about 240watt alone. This means that the 12TF GPU of series x performs the same as of a 2080 while using 50watts less.

Miles morales uses 200 watt TDP while at 10.3 TF APU system.
Can you see that the power consumption is comperable?
Gears is nowhere near to stress Xbox Series X.... c'mon.

quest

Not Banned from OT
that's just poor from you, you know it and i know it.

the vast majority of fud came from one side, accept it and stop damage controlling for an environment that was created by the vast majority of your peers.

this has been gone over many many times, this conversation is done, accept it and move on.
My peers lol I have none. I am one of the rare few who have shit on all sides lol. I am fair as fuck I have a couple of times told people to piss off about the PS5 issues that they are being over blown because of social media. I shit on both Microsoft and Sony for waiting on pre orders making them more valuable and inviting more scalpers. I have long post history go find my 2013 posts around E3 I completely shit on Microsoft and the DRM. I shit on Microsoft and the design of the xbox one and cover up.

ethomaz

Banned
Something is wrong there.

"Next up, I measured PlayStation 5's power draw in various scenarios and as is the tradition, I filmed the watt meter and synchronised the feed with system capture. On the front end, power consumption is quite high at 70 Watts but quickly drops back into the 60s, then as we boot into Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, we suddenly spike to around 200W. Dipping into Capcom's Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition, power draw also tops out at around the same figure. PlayStation 5's processor is based on the idea of a boost clock that fluctuates according to load, frequencies defined by a fixed power limit. Based on our tests, the evidence suggests that total system power consumption (without factoring in attached peripherals and such) is at the 200W level. "

It does though, as we have a metric against 2080
What that does even means?

Gears 5 on Series X performs below RTX 2080 but what that has to do with power consumption in AMD cards/

Last edited:

Godfavor

Something is wrong there.

"Next up, I measured PlayStation 5's power draw in various scenarios and as is the tradition, I filmed the watt meter and synchronised the feed with system capture. On the front end, power consumption is quite high at 70 Watts but quickly drops back into the 60s, then as we boot into Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, we suddenly spike to around 200W. Dipping into Capcom's Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition, power draw also tops out at around the same figure. PlayStation 5's processor is based on the idea of a boost clock that fluctuates according to load, frequencies defined by a fixed power limit. Based on our tests, the evidence suggests that total system power consumption (without factoring in attached peripherals and such) is at the 200W level. "

What that does even means?

Gears 5 on Series X performs below RTX 2080 but what that has to do with power consumption in AMD cards/

It means that series x is more effecient than nvidia Turing. And nvidiaTuring is slighlty more effecient than rdna1 cards

Fitzchiv

This ACV thing will be a meme in future console generation launches. This whole subject will ebb and flow, we all know PS5 will have a poor showing on a multiplat sooner rather than later and the pendulum will continue to swing back and forth between two camps of fucking imbeciles whilst the rest of us head for the hills.

ethomaz

Banned
It means that series x is more effecient than nvidia Turing. And nvidiaTuring is slighlty more effecient than rdna1 cards
About the nVidia I don't know.
I agree with AMD I said it is more efficient than RDNA chips... it uses a enhanced process.

XSX
Front-End RDNA 1, Render-Back-Ends RDNA 2, Compute Units RDNA1, RT RDNA2
TSMC 7nm+ (enchanced)

That means better power comsumption.

Last edited:

Godfavor

About the nVidia I don't know.
I agree with AMD I said it is more efficient than RDNA chips... it uses a enhanced process.

XSX
Front-End RDNA 1, Render-Back-Ends RDNA 2, Compute Units RDNA1, RT RDNA2
TSMC 7nm+ (enchanced)

That means better power comsumption.

No it is not
Better effeciency than PS5 as well:
12 TF at 210 watt and 10.3 TF at 200watt
Maximum consumptions ever recorded until now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is not about catching up, but more to widening the gap.
It seems MS chose compactness and quietness over even more performant

The SX dimensions are crazy small 30x30x30mm, some mitx cases are larger.
But imo a 35x35x35mm SX wont take up much space.

I don't think you know what a millimeter is. Also, the XSX is not a cube, so none of that makes any sense.

(The actual dimensions are around 30x15x15 cm.)

Last edited:
I am not talking about performance here. Effecinecy can be described in other parts as well, like watts per TF. Utilization comes from other things like api's
I don't really carr if you use your 200w to feed a GPU with a theoretical 12tf or 2tf, i care that it renders x frames per secon in game y at resolution x... You know, what I actually get.

An example is a car, you look miles per gallon (Assuming a predetermined use case), not miles per hp, that's a useless metric.

Godfavor

I don't really carr if you use your 200w to feed a GPU with a theoretical 12tf or 2tf, i care that it renders x frames per secon in game y at resolution x... You know, what I actually get.

An example is a car, you look miles per gallon (Assuming a predetermined use case), not miles per hp, that's a useless metric.

You are right on that. That's what matters.
My original replies here is about xsx having rdna1 cu's effecinency which is not the case due to the provided power consumption in relation with the ps5.
Performance is a different thing entirely, it depends on api's of how to utilize all these TF from either system

Last edited:
Top Bottom