• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imo MS locking at sustained speeds is a mistake to be corrected

cosmicom

Banned
How are you evaluating the quality of the fans?

At first sigh, it´s like cheap ventilation system of ps4 pro

TgTFX4Ls6Iy2qQAQ.full

fan-PS4-pro.jpg

2,23GHZ GPU means very very high speeds, you cant handle it without top tier refrigeration.

AMD new GPU cards allow overclocking, but with maximum refrigeration:

3481-front.jpg

Last edited:

John Wick

I don't think their API and tools are finished. This move to GDK and what with final devkits going out in June has caught MS out. The code won't be leveraging the features
Everybody knows than overclocking your GPU causes errors and makes it unstable.

AMD allows overclocking with HEAVY refrigeration and high prize:

1366_2000.jpg

Now, try 2,23GHZ with a 500$ machine, try CONSTANT boost GPU speed, and see what happens.
Pack it up guys. EXPERT ALERT! We got an AMD engineer in the house!

quest

Not Banned from OT
He's personally tested them.
What he means is that Sony didn't bother testing them and just randomly chose the fans.
Let's be honest last generation they cut corners on cooling. That fan looks pathetic just backs up my thoughts to wait on the slim and cheap exclusive back catalog.

Topher

Gold Member
At first sigh, it´s like cheap ventilation system of ps4 pro

TgTFX4Ls6Iy2qQAQ.full

fan-PS4-pro.jpg

2,23GHZ GPU means very very high speeds, you cant handle it without top tier refrigeration.

AMD new GPU cards allow overclocking, but with maximum refrigeration:

3481-front.jpg

lol....I'm done. You are making up a lot of stuff here ("cheap ventilation system") and using anecdotal references (one guy with a defective unit) to come to some silly conclusions.

And you've taken this way off topic to boot.

cosmicom

Banned
lol....I'm done. You are making up a lot of stuff here ("cheap ventilation system") and using anecdotal references (one guy with a defective unit) to come to some silly conclusions.

And you've taken this way off topic to boot.

It´s not offtopic, we must not forget laws of thermodinamics. More GHZ means more heat and unstable GPUs.

Betson-PS5-e1605870797425.jpg

I remember when digital foundry said than ps4 was cooler and more silent than xbox one:

Now the history repeats. In 2028 digital foundry will say: does playstation 6 solve the problems of GPU inestability, noise and heat of ps5? But for now they must sell ps5 as much as they can.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Tomorrows rumor: "Microsoft will be unlocking the clock rate of Xbox Series S & X & giving it more power to crush PS5 they was just testing Sony this isn't even their final form "
Well, overclock on console have been done before, that's the most possible "secret" weapon Microsoft could have in it's hands.

cosmicom

Banned
Well, overclock on console have been done before, that's the most possible "secret" weapon Microsoft could have in it's hands.

The secret weapon of Microsoft is keep working in his machine with better tools and making easier the life of developers.

less CUs with overclocking equals in performance to more CUs without overclocking when it´s porting a ps4 game, and there´s not enough optimization. It´s easier to distribute a cake between two than distributing between ten.

But with right optimization, Xbox Series X will overpower ps5.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

The idea of boost mode

The secret weapon of Microsoft is keep working in his machine with better tools and making easier the life of developers.

less CUs with overclocking equals in performance to more CUs without overclocking when it´s porting a ps4 game, and there´s not enough optimization.

But with right optimization, Xbox Series X will overpower ps5.
That's how I see things too. With development maturity, things will work better than they are for Microsoft. What I was pointing was that overclock on consoles are not as absurd as O onQ123 was selling, and if Microsoft sees this as they only option from now on, it is perfectly doable, to some extent. I don't see it as motive of mockery as "the powa of the cloud", for example.

Edit: sorry C cosmicom , I quoted the wrong user.

Last edited:

cosmicom

Banned
That's how I see things too. With development maturity, things will work better than they are for Microsoft. What I was pointing was that overclock on consoles are not as absurd as C cosmicom was selling, and if Microsoft sees this as they only option from now on, it is perfectly doable, to some extent. I don't see it as motive of mockery as "the powa of the cloud", for example.

upgrading speed of GPU mid generation is not acceptable.

onQ123

That's how I see things too. With development maturity, things will work better than they are for Microsoft. What I was pointing was that overclock on consoles are not as absurd as O onQ123 was selling, and if Microsoft sees this as they only option from now on, it is perfectly doable, to some extent. I don't see it as motive of mockery as "the powa of the cloud", for example.

Edit: sorry C cosmicom , I quoted the wrong user.

How was I making it out to be absurd? maybe you should read more comments in the thread because I talked about PSP & Xbox One getting clock rate updates.

cosmicom

Banned
Yes, it is. Just not at high levels. Just like CPU overclock that have been done before.

upgrading cpu 1,6 ghz to 1,7 it´s acceptable. Upgrading speed of GPU from 1,823MHZ to ps5 speed is crazy. Anyway, it would break the games, designed to work with normal GPU speed.

GTX3090 has GPU speed of 1,400MHZ, in boost mode 1,700MHZ. Upgrading GTX3090 to ps5 overclocked speed would destroy it.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

How was I making it out to be absurd? maybe you should read more comments in the thread because I talked about PSP & Xbox One getting clock rate updates.
Mande it's because you used the words " secret weapon". Everytime I saw it here it's some kind of mockery. My mistake...

John Wick

ask this game developer...

What's a game developer got to do with a console engineer? Just because he makes games doesn't make his opinion any more valid on console engineering or cooling. Sony probably sold about 1.5 million at launch. Upto 50000 could be be faulty. 3% is the industry standard.
He might have a faulty console?

cosmicom

Banned
What's a game developer got to do with a console engineer? Just because he makes games doesn't make his opinion any more valid on console engineering or cooling. Sony probably sold about 1.5 million at launch. Upto 50000 could be be faulty. 3% is the industry standard.

It´s not a problem of ps5 units being faulty.

It´s the problem of applying maximum pressure to PS5 GPU because Sony wants winning digital foundry battle at any costs.

2,23GHZ means maximum pressure to any ps5, that´s why the number of errors is abnormal, and time will make it worse.

Last edited:

John Wick

Let's be honest last generation they cut corners on cooling. That fan looks pathetic just backs up my thoughts to wait on the slim and cheap exclusive back catalog.
Have you personally handled the fan? So how do you know it's pathetic?
That's why goods have 2 year warranties.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A mistake in terms of it actually mattering? No. Power doesn't matter to most of the market. Slight tweaks here and there are irrelevant.

Price and games are what matter.

John Wick

It´s not offtopic, we must not forget laws of thermodinamics. More GHZ means more heat and unstable GPUs.

Betson-PS5-e1605870797425.jpg

I remember when digital foundry said than ps4 was cooler and more silent than xbox one:
Where did they say that? I can't remember them ever saying PS4 was quieter than Xone

quest

Not Banned from OT
Have you personally handled the fan? So how do you know it's pathetic?
That's why goods have 2 year warranties.
Not around these parts we get the 90 day or 1 year warranty. That's fine extended warranty is part of a launch console these days imo in the usa. I was hoping to see a beefy fan is all. They spent the extra money on liquid metal was hoping they finish it off with a beefy fan.

cosmicom

Banned
Where did they say that? I can't remember them ever saying PS4 was quieter than Xone

According to digital foundry:

PS4

IdleBlu-rayGamingGame + UI
Max Temp40 Degrees Celsius41 Degrees Celsius44 Degrees Celsius45 Degrees Celsius
Power Draw80W100W131W140W
Noise: Close42dB42dB51dB53dB
Noise: 1 metre40dB40dB42dB42dB
Noise: 3 metres40dB40dB41dB41dB

Xbox One

IdleBlu-rayGamingGaming + Disc Install
Max Temp35 Degrees Celsius37 Degrees Celsius49 Degrees Celsius49 Degrees Celsius
Power Draw65W77W125W125W
Noise: Close42dB43dB42dB43dB
Noise: 1 metre40dB41dB41dB41dB
Noise: 3 metres40dB40dB40dB40dB

PS4 said than ps4 was 41db and Xbox One 40db, and than ps4 was 44 degrees celsius and Xbox One 49.

Well, "if you lie me once, it will be your fault, if you lie me twice, it will be my fault"

Md Ray

That's a FUDDER, not a game developer.

cosmicom

Banned
2,23GHZ (10 teraflops ps5) was supposed to be maximum limit of speed, not default mode for winning digital foundry wars. pathetic, now ps5 are breaking as they were soldiers in the front line.

Mr Moose

ask this game developer...

LMAO, you bloody troll :messenger_tears_of_joy:

He doesn't make games.

Last edited:

cosmicom

Banned
Yeap the clock is below the usual RDNA 2 clock with way higher CU count.

1366_2000.jpg

RX 5700 has 40 CUs (while ps5 has 36 CUs).

RX 5700 has boost mode (controlled overclocking) of 1,9GHZ. PS5 has 2,23 GHZ, it´s crazy. With ps4 cheap plastic fan.

ps5 are now in the market as soldiers in the frontline.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
1366_2000.jpg

RX 5700 has 40 CUs (while ps5 has 36 CUs).

RX 5700 has boost mode (controlled overclocking) of 1,9GHZ. PS5 has 2,23 GHZ, it´s crazy. With ps4 cheap plastic fan.

ps5 are now in the market as soldiers in the frontline.
The 5700 is not an RDNA 2 gpu.

Last edited:

cosmicom

Banned
The 5700 is not an RDNA 2 gpu.

PS5 is a 500$ machine enduring frecuencies of 1000$ GPU PC cards in overclocking. PS5 are falling, and it´s only the beggining. Sony was so eager to win a pirric victory in digital foundry wars, that is sending ps5 to consumers as soldiers in the frontline. Good luck if they can survive the payback.

Last edited:

jroc74

PS5 is a 500$ machine enduring frecuencies of 1000$ GPU PC cards in overclocking. PS5 are falling, and it´s only the beggining. Sony was so eager to win a pirric victory in digital foundry wars, that is sending ps5 to consumers as soldiers in the frontline. Good luck if they can survive the payback.
Still, the 5700 is not an RDNA 2 gpu.

And so far...looks like the Series X TF amounts was for the pyrrhic victory.

John Wick

According to digital foundry:

PS4

IdleBlu-rayGamingGame + UI
Max Temp40 Degrees Celsius41 Degrees Celsius44 Degrees Celsius45 Degrees Celsius
Power Draw80W100W131W140W
Noise: Close42dB42dB51dB53dB
Noise: 1 metre40dB40dB42dB42dB
Noise: 3 metres40dB40dB41dB41dB

Xbox One

IdleBlu-rayGamingGaming + Disc Install
Max Temp35 Degrees Celsius37 Degrees Celsius49 Degrees Celsius49 Degrees Celsius
Power Draw65W77W125W125W
Noise: Close42dB43dB42dB43dB
Noise: 1 metre40dB41dB41dB41dB
Noise: 3 metres40dB40dB40dB40dB

PS4 said than ps4 was 41db and Xbox One 40db, and than ps4 was 44 degrees celsius and Xbox One 49.

Well, "if you lie me once, it will be your fault, if you lie me twice, it will be my fault"
Seeing as your nothing but an idiot who just pulls information from anywhere without any proof. This will by my last reply to your trolling.
"in an ambient 23-degree environment - as close as we could get to our PlayStation 4 testing. That's 15W off our measured PS4 peak and almost the same temperature level. The difference is noise: Xbox One is a remarkably quiet machine - virtually silent during front-end and media tasks and even at maximum load after several hours' worth of Ryse gameplay (curiously, Forza 5 appears to draw 10W less). It's to the point where the Blu-ray drive actually seems to make more noise than the cooling system, which is good news for gamers (after the game has installed anyway), but perhaps not quite so good news for BD movie viewers, where the machine is louder than PlayStation 4. Perhaps the vast array of air vents on the Xbox One casing allows the noise from the internals to travel more easily."
Digital Foundry
Your right You are a fool!
You clown how come mobile phones with 8 core CPU's and GPU's running at high clocks in far more compact spaces without active cooling aren't failing? Thermal limit dopey the device clocks down when too hot. The PS5 will do the same. If it couldn't keep them clocks AMD would know or do you think an idiot troll like you knows better? Be off with you armchair expert

Last edited:

John Wick

Not around these parts we get the 90 day or 1 year warranty. That's fine extended warranty is part of a launch console these days imo in the usa. I was hoping to see a beefy fan is all. They spent the extra money on liquid metal was hoping they finish it off with a beefy fan.
It is a beefy fan. It's wide so it provides cooling from both sides

John Wick

this clown tryna act like he's droppin knowledge on the laws of thermodynamics and he can't even spell it right lol
Yeah I think he's doing a Dusk Golem. Because MS and Series X is getting outdone on the multipats he's here spreading fud to even it up. Don't stop the good fight soldier

jroc74

We're looking at around 40 Compute Units, and the Navi 22 XT GPU powering the higher-end Radeon RX 6700

Maybe when the cu amount is revealed, we can finally stop using the 5700 as a reference point for the PS5.

Top Bottom