• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impel Down (One Piece) Does it make the cut for top 5 arcs in One Piece for you?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Was thinking about this......that is one badass story arc. Hands down it was, I can't believe Luffy sometimes
Incredible feat, and see how his decisions paved the way for his fellow pirates and the future....

That has to be one of the most impactful arcs, think about all those that he freed who will live to fight another day, against the system and tyranny in place that is no better than them

What excites me the most, is one prospect. That Luffy saved
Boss Jimbei, one of the most intriguing characters in the entire anime. First off, he's an immensely powerful Captain and world renown figure with a will to fight as hard as anyone. He knows the sea better than anyone. He can man the ship and steer it to perfection because of his vast body of knowledge regarding the seas of the world. He has wit, courage, intelligence to match Sanji in regards to overall practicality when making decisions, and I think maybe even a bit more than Sanji in that regard. Overall, he's an amazing character. And I'm excited that Luffy's crew became that much stronger and well off because of Jimbei. I haven't been this elated about another addition to the crew since Franky.

But that's only one of my favorite things to think about regarding the after-effects and actions of Impel Down's story arc. Think about how Luffy
united and even befriended some infamous criminals that pulled their own in a war that showed the super powers in the Navy and all around the world really, that there are forces out there that will fight for whatever it is they choose to fight for, with unyielding valor. Whitebeard brought everything he had at the Navy to take back his son and bring him back to the family. Luffy broke out of a legendary impenetrable stronghold full of the world's worst criminal masterminds, allied with them and became the second punch to Whitebeard's. One could even argue that Luffy was on equal footing with Whitebeard if we're talking about bringing Ace back alive. They both needed each other in the Paramount War to overcome such a seemingly possible objective. Even when Luffy wasn't ready to lead such a war just yet, he still managed to basically get by as the key leader in the Paramount War, despite all odds. And Whitebeard knew he would be that important; that's why he told Marco they can't let this kid die

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
This is the arc I stopped reading One Piece like ten years ago because I just got bored of it. lmao.

Personally Skypiea was the apex for the series when I read it. Doubt I'll ever go back, them time skip designs are nasty.

Azurro

Banned
This is the arc I stopped reading One Piece like ten years ago because I just got bored of it. lmao.

Personally Skypiea was the apex for the series when I read it. Doubt I'll ever go back, them time skip designs are nasty.

Agreed, that's the exact moment I stopped watching. I was hyped to see how the crew would be like after the time skip, and then when they finally show up the new designs looked so fucking stupid.

I loved all of Water 7 and Enies Lobby, so if we are talking strictly arc-arcs they are at the top two positions of the list. Next up. . .probably Marineford. After that probably Alabasta.

I might put it over Thriller Bark for #5, but I was kind of disappointed by last Magellan fight. He ended up not being a lawful evil-type character like I expected him to be; he was basically a Yama-type judge of "hell", so he was more lawful neutral and I can't get excited over those types of villains. He's a bureaucrat just doing his job, and has definite standards when it comes to his justice (e.g. locking away Shiryu). On the other hand, there was a lot of fun moments during the descent and ascent, and Bon Clay and the duo of Mr. 3 and Buggy really grew on me by the end.

Yeah, it deserves #5. It did a great job of building and developing up previous minor characters, and I like seeing that kind of thing in shows. Thriller Bark is fun, but it's horror movie schlock for the most part. I did really like Moria's characterization and loved Perona vs Usopp.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
ALL arcs are top 5 for me. One piece is that good =]

I wouldn‘t say all arcs are great, some are just good. But what I will say it that it is my number one favourite manga of all time. And I highly doubt anything ever will dethrone it. Not only is it highly unlikely a series in my lifetime will manage to run for as long as One Piece has, but also at the consistently good writing level it remained. No other manga has achieved that in my opinion for this long.

And the most important thing is, I basically grew up with it. It has been a part of my life for more than 15 years now. I am turning 30 in april, so more than half my life I have been on this journey and that sure binds a piece of work to someone that won‘t be replicated ever, in my case at least.

Same reason why I love the Fast franchise so much lol. Been fan of it since the first movie, so basically 19 years now, holy shit.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Probably the worst arc. It was unwatchable that water prison. Even one punch men made a meme from that arc in the first season.

Cutty Flam

Banned
BibleBLACKED, what are your thoughts on the manga and the anime arcs? Were there any that you read that were better when aired on anime? Or any that you read that were actually less entertaining than what you watched on anime version?

Curious because people seem to really love and hold the manga in high esteem, but I was introduced to One Piece through the anime and love the series, but never read a full chapter. But yeah I hear the manga is top notch, incredible work

TTOOLL

BibleBLACKED, what are your thoughts on the manga and the anime arcs? Were there any that you read that were better when aired on anime? Or any that you read that were actually less entertaining than what you watched on anime version?

Curious because people seem to really love and hold the manga in high esteem, but I was introduced to One Piece through the anime and love the series, but never read a full chapter. But yeah I hear the manga is top notch, incredible work

I'm not BibleBLACKED but I'll say that the manga is much better than the anime because of the pace. I can't stand anime slowness.

Top Bottom