• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impress the sharks..... What's YOUR billion dollar gaming idea?

Aion002

Open world, turn based battle system, free to play, pve, pvp, gacha, gaas and Pokemon, available for pc, consoles and smartphones.

Imagine Genshin Impact + Epic Seven + Pokemon.

Sell gacha currency, battle passes with skins, make tournaments with prizes, loot boxes, make people summon both pokemons and trainers, make trainers all waifus and husbandos and whatever other bs you want... People will pay for it.

terminator 2 money GIF

Last edited:

Ogbert

Very dull.

But Gears of War is *the* IP that Microsoft can turn into their decades long GaaS.

In short, copy Destiny. Public hub zones, dungeons and raids. Loot grind. Different armour sets etc. Holy trinity party setup so that people level alts.

Would make billions.

Goliath77

A very complex game or set of games connected in real time to each others where players join multiple Factions that can form alliances or go to war over the exploration of resources of a planet (think Dune). The gameplay is divided between several "games", some players engage in space battles, others in land battles (fps style), others do resource management and battle assist (rts style) others do resource gathering (tomorrow children style) and the final group does exploration of new areas and deals with wildlife + pesky natives (3rd person action game style or even "souls").
I really like the sound of this. Each faction could be a platform, eg, pc is robot race, xbox insect race, nintendo humans and playstation mutant cats :)

A retro-style console that answers the question: What if we had one more gen of 2D games?
It would have a store to download retro games, with deals made much like what we have right now with Evercade. The difference would be sequels to 16-bit games as well as new titles, with indies encouraged so things like Hollow Knight and the like could be there.

It would have new games like Sonic Mania - a game that looks great on modern tvs but shows what Sonic could've been like on Saturn.
To set it apart from presumed releases on the mainstream consoles, you'd get an old school box and booklet, with soundtracks or art books and the like packed in.

It wouldn't make a billion dollars, but imagine, for example, Nintendo released it. You could buy games individually or subscribe to their online service and get access to the old console and handheld apps they made for Switch.
If they could be persuaded to do something like that, and give us, for example, a true Mario World 2? You'd do alright, with the right prices!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Warhammer 40k auto battler.

PVP and coop mode where you seige fortified give cities or chaos garrisons.

Essentially an RTS where the main mode is 4 v 4. But instead of controlling troops you build buildings that pump out troops one by but manage your economy, tech tree and commander abilties like you would any other RTS the only thing you dont do is the nitty gritty micro mangement of units, just their composition with the odd special ability you control to throw into a battle.

Why 40k? Solid IP and plenty of sub factions of army's to sell to people for real money. Preorder today and get the option to play as the "First Born" space marine sub faction who has slightly weaker units but at a lower cost for upgrades and deployment time.

Would need a cool name like 40k: Calisburn Crusade.

Last edited:

Sacred

A very complex game or set of games connected in real time to each others where players join multiple Factions that can form alliances or go to war over the exploration of resources of a planet (think Dune). The gameplay is divided between several "games", some players engage in space battles, others in land battles (fps style), others do resource management and battle assist (rts style) others do resource gathering (tomorrow children style) and the final group does exploration of new areas and deals with wildlife + pesky natives (3rd person action game style or even "souls").
This sounds incredible, would really take teamwork to the next level.

Kings Field

extensive single play horror game.

1. Friday the 13th
2. Nightmare on Elm Street
3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4. Halloween

Have all the staple characters like Tommy Jarvis, Laurie, Benny, chop top, lefty, Alfredo, Tex, etc etc in the game.

You’ll even be able to play as the “monster”

BossLackey

Gold Member
Not a billion dollar idea by any means, but it's something I'd want to play.

Basically take Metal Gear solid and kind of do a rogulite with it. You enter a complex similar to a smaller area in Shadow Moses island, but it's "infinite" floors. On-site procurement, so you start with nothing.

First floor is easy. You take guards out by sneaking around and choking them. But it gets progressively harder each floor you go up and every five floors you fight a boss.

Items are dispersed somewhat randomly and enemies and the look of the building interior changes after each boss.

If you die, it's game over and you start again. if you get captured, you have to break out of a holding cell that's at the start of the five floor "chunk" you're currently in.

Last edited:

Holammer

I have a rough idea and setting for a mature "Pocket Monster" game. It came about when I saw some whine from pokemon fans wanting mature content/storylines in the anime and games. I'll never get a team and budget for it anyway. Credit me as "some guy on Gaf", if you steal the idea.

In the background and setting Angels appear across the world to reveal that God willed himself out of existence, they then disappear. A confused world gets little time to grapple with the religious implications of what just happened because reality starts to fracture. Thousands of Gates to other dimensions or realms of existence open up across the world and their foul denizens start to spill over into ours. Gates are everywhere, in the air, on the seas, underground, even on the moon.
Most of the gates lead to hell worlds, so there's a brutal war where a united humanity retreats into rare gates leading to garden worlds (some with friendly natives). During the fighting it is noticed that certain individuals are untouchable by the monsters to the point where they avoid and are compelled not to hurt them. Such humans quickly become invaluable scouts. Later when one such person is busy beating a monster to death, the broken mass reveals its true name to him - Resulting in it becoming his servant. The news of this spreads and it becomes a powerful weapon for humanity.

A couple of decades later you as a young adult are about to be tested to see if you have the gift, it's a choice between three weakened & constrained monsters willing to divulge their true name. (stuff happens/this and that), then it's time to enter the fortified gate and visit old broken Earth, it's your new job to cull the herd and secure your home.
The player character is refereed to by many titles, such as untouchable, warlock or prophet.

It's basically a pokemon clone without cute friendly monsters and [almost] everything is gross and horrible, like Elder beings, aberrations, elementals, demons, undead, ghosts, tentacle monsters, xenomorphy aliens. Most, but not all come in male and female versions and some have wildly different sexual dimorphism. Certain monsters (like the starters) are intellgient with reasoning capablity, but it ranges from animal to super intelligence depending on race or sex. The objective is still the same, travel the area around the gate and visit research outposts to help them, enter and document new undiscovered gates, also grow & train your collection of bound monsters (well duh!).
While recent Pokemon games shied away from beating up Pokemons to catch them, here it's a key mechanic. With some bound monsters being more capable at breaking others when it's time to bind one you want.
Like Pokemon there's a limit to how many you can bring with you and how many you can store. Unwanted ones will cease to exist with the press of a button.

In the first game there will be two super rare monsters (the mewtwo's of the game), one fallen angel and a crystalized human soul, as teasers for the expansion/sequel, which takes place at one of the other gates with entirely new monsters to bind.
I don't like it, but if one is lazy, name the gates after mythological places like Elysium, Atlantis, Yushan, Alfheim etc.

Welp, that's the overly verbose elevator pitch.

Last edited:
My favorite type of thread. I'll keep posting this until hopefully, someone out there, takes it and runs with it one day:

I've posted this before in a different thread and I'll post it here again. It would be a game that utilized one of these three unused innovative systems:

1 - Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Timesplitters inspired difficulty systems

Developers to this day never seem to want to replicate how these series managed to do things. Basically, the harder the difficulty, the more difficult tasks you'd be assigned on a given mission. It also made it so that you'd experience more of the story and level due to more of them opening up for those harder difficulties. The same type of thinking was applied with multiplayer bot challenges, with some bots being from really crazy(throwing bombs everywhere) to really dumb(slapping with weapons) to being extremely dangerous(headshots only if they spotted you). This can be built on to be more expansive in many ways.

2 - Left 4 Dead A.I. Director should be utilized in other games

In Left 4 Dead, the A.I. director would become way smarter with where and when it would spawn enemies to really push you to your limit of how much you can handle. There were times where we'd barely make it to the finish line with most of the team dead and the last person had 10 health left running from a horde. Another system that no one managed to replicate correctly or even think about how to use beyond this series, because having an A.I. director in other genres, especially Action RPGs(that usually end up way too easy after the halfway point) would be huge. And I don't mean just level scaling, as that's the extremely boring version of this.

3 - Someone else's attempt at a Virtua Fighter's Quest mode

Another mode that's highly innovative yet never used. Basically Sega captured data from real life tournament and arcade players in order to create a mode with rankings where you'd have to climb to the top and the coolest thing being that each version of a character was different, including outfit. So you'd fight one version of Akira who mostly played defensively(because the real life person played that way) and the next Akira would be more aggressive, and the next might do more grabs, etc. You'd unlock outfit items and rank up by beating them. You'd have to try it out to see how fun it truly was.

Insert this idea for Action/Adventure, Action/RPG, and Shooters: Raising the difficulty makes the enemies act more and more like real life players, to the point where playing a level on the highest difficulty feels like a better version of Counter-OP mode from Perfect Dark. This would take a ton of data entry like VF but would be insanely good if done right. This shouldn't mean that they have 100% perfect aim(a lot of devs make this mistake), but their positioning and tactics should force you to really think and adapt to how it would feel like facing an actual player.

Please, by all means steal these ideas and run with them. They deserve to be out there.

Easy Money:

OIG.L.x0Q_ghv0eo1_Hm8OSg
I agree about BB 2 but it's too late for CT2. We will need a full fledged remake of the original first, so that the younger generation can understand why it was so great. This means dropping the sprites, going full 3D/4k, and potentially updating the combat system.

Yes, I know, people here will hate that idea, kicking and screaming until the day it get's a 'gold edition' year(s) later. However it's better than releasing a random sequel after almost 30 years and hoping that new buyers pick it up. Doing that will instead be a way to bury the I.P. forever.

Billbofet

A reboot/next-gen version of King's Field with an HD remaster collection of the other games as a pre-order bonus.

PM me for routing information.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Bluetooth dices withb audio and rgb lights
Mtx games .. gamble games etc etc boardgames you name it

Last edited:

Alebrije

An Open world GAAS Game with tons of microtransactions where You just move a point on the sceeen. the goal is to spend 10 bucks every week in order yo see the point being transformed into something You create depending of what You Buy in the store plus what you do on the wotld if You spent less than 10 bucks one week the point returs to it's previous form.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Boy, I wish I knew how to make billions...

If somebody had told me that "car soccer" was a route to billions in 2014, I would have laughed them out of the room. Heck, if a friend had told me that a second Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battlecars was a good idea at all (and with just one map?!), I would have played a match with them for fun but the whole time I would have felt sorry for their delusional understanding of what game buyers want.

aNVD26S.jpg

(*Actually, this kind of happened. My friend is retired now in his 40s.)

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gaming is out of touch with ordinary people today, an ordinary town in Majoras mask from 2000 has more character than these deliberately massive open world games introduced during this era. The tone deaf games today are favored over classics like raccoon city, or termina. My approach to gaming would be have a trusted IP with a convincing plot and world.

Success

When I was like 10 or 11 years old, I wrote this gigantic game design document over the course of a few months. The premise of the game was that it started off as a 2D platformer, but as you progressed through the game, the genres would start changing. There were thematic reasons why you’d go from something like a 3D action adventure to a puzzle game, to rhythm, to RTS, etc. It was sort of like a WarioWare game, only each genre would last 5-30 minutes, instead of 5-30 seconds, and they would be loosely connected through a story and characters.

Needless to say, it was an incredibly ambitious idea, since it basically was a game made of complete vertical slices of dozens of game genres. Once I started getting more serious into game dev and went to college for it, I realized this was a completely unrealistic project at the time, since it meant I’d have to personally perfect just about every game genre out there.

Nowadays, it’s a bit less of a stretch, since there are so many incredible pre-built gameplay engines for just about every genre inside of Unity, UE, and even GMS. Maybe someday I’ll return back to that concept. Though my coding chips have declined significantly over the last decade.

This is your beta version of your idea.

WitchHunter

Banned
THE PHANTOM SHITTER! Be the phantom of the night, shit where noone expects it. Be fast and deniable. You earn points when more people gets horrified by your unique art style. Invade malls, cinemas, big companies, giant condos of celebs and leave your mark... in a unique way. Possible spinoff: steal and replace the pets of famous people.

For the uniniated here is an excerpt from the script:

Phantom Shitter

A curious creature, believed to derive from Naval origins, who shits, slams, thunders, or pisses in the oddest of places. Phantom shitters are second to none in terms of secrecy. He/she normally thinks tactically on placement and timing. As a master of clandestine defecating, a phantom shitter is rarely caught and if caught will not disclose the locations of each shit or if there is a second gunman. Typically phantom shitters work alone but at certain times will work in teams of two to throw off the scent of pursuing investigations if there are signs of being targeted for questioning.

Most phantom shitters start off as upper decker shooters and slammers shitting in the top part of the toilet instead of the bottom. The ones who experience the success of this get intoxicated with joy and pursue further into shitting methods. This typically will carry on from ages 12 to 65, depending on time of first phantom shit, and are mostly of the male gender. However the most success potential comes at earlier stages due to younger people being more flexible.

Just as a chef concerns himself with the right ingredients so do phantom shitters. Texture and consistency play a vital role in each shitting environment and opportunity. This normally will depend on the location and who the anal splinter is meant to target.

A small portion of phantom shitters sing or hum their own theme music and it is said to be a one of a kind experience if able to catch on camera.
"Oh my god man. I think the Phantom Shitter has struck again because there is a massive pile of shit in the fudge batter!"

Imagine this on GamePass!

Another possible spinoff: I can't hold it much longer:

Last edited:

Lambhalf

I am working on an indie project that has been years in the conceptual stage.
The idea is object-linking in a sci-fi horror where you can tag objects together in order to solve horrifying puzzles or for action purposes.
The prototype worked well and I'm upgrading to a better engine for a better reaction to it.. Maybe it'll get done some time in the next decade.

SHA

Ai generated contents in real time, for example, you set/define characters/world characteristics etc.. That belongs to ip, and by these set of roles that defines it, you let the AI generate more of it continuesly on the fly, it's billions times better than generating garbage dialog cause it sounds stupid and modern devs including Jensen don't get what made older games unique, generating dialog is a new low if we went this route.

Mr.Phoenix

My take...

• An over-the-shoulder third-person game. Think The order, RE4.
  • Based 1000 years into a post-apocalyptic future, where everyone lives in dome habitats. You are in one such dome. The dome is a full city.
  • You are a member of the judiciary system, an enforcer (the arm of the law that seeks out criminals and either arrests or kills them). Biogenetically enhanced. Speed, strength, sight, healing and hearing. Candidates are selected from when they are 5, then taken away from their parents and trained till they are 21.
  • Because very few are compatible with the bio-enhancements, there are very few enforcers in the whole city. Only 26. And enforcers aren't given names, they are just given alphabets.
  • Open world city, a complete city, with 5 districts, each with its own malls, stores, police stations, govt buildings, jurisdictions, everything.
  • Now the premise of the game, is that its episodic. Eg. Some sort of secret cult going around kidnapping and killing pregnant women to do some special stuff that can only be done with amniotic fluid. You literally spend 30+ hours investigating the case, piecing together the clues, interrogating informants, some run-ins with the cult members and ultimately solving that case. And that's it. That it for that episode, then the next episode could be something completely different, maybe something about smugglers, netc can be finding some kidnapped council officer's daughter... But based in the same city.
  • The idea is that by the 4 episode, you are no longer a rookie, you have developed your own informants, and you know all the nooks and crannies of the city and the underground, so you naturally become better at your job.
  • The game is extremely difficult. If you get into a firefight, and take 3 hits you are dead. Ai is very smart, so you will naturally try and avoid situations where its one vs 3+ people. you likely will not survive such an encounter.
  • If going on a raid, a situation where you are supposed to breach some potential enemy stronghold. Like a warehouse or building... you can call in backup, this is the online component, where up to two more enforcers will join you on the raid. For them, it will just show up as an "available raid", for you, it will be part of your story.
  • And even though the overarching episodes are the same for everyone, the points of interest will be different. Eg. I may be finding the brother of a person of interest in club Orion in District A. You will be finding the same person in Club Fire in District C. I may be assaulting a building in District B in my episodic story, for you that may be a different building in District E.
  • And every year, two episodes are released for $10 each. Every episode means even if you are going to places that have been there since the first episode, you meet new people and guest characters. Or characters you met in episode one that now play a prominent role in episode 4. And times these episodes even come with changes to the city, like a building blown up in episode 2 being replaced by a strip club in episode 6, a police station in district A attacked in episode 3 being replaced by a memorial site in episode 5....etc.
  • Each episode is its full story, complete set pieces, and all that. And world interaction is persistent. Well partially so. If a hospital gets blown up during one said set piece in an episode, it would be closed off after that and over subsequent episodes you will see them rebuilding it. Then episode 8 can start with an assassination during the reopening ceremony of that hospital blown up in episode 2.

Last edited:

Drell

In an utopian world where there's no limits to ressources, the ultimate game would be an MMO on an unique server where you can do anything you'd like and where the gameplay has no clear definition. And so, there's not any clearly defined gameplay loop, no meta being induced by it and so the game would never ever become repetitive, and so, you'd never want to play anything else.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
A regular action adventure game made in west, but with a very particular twist: woman are actually pretty.

buenoblue

Definitely not a billion dollar idea but I really want an open world resident evil. Imagine the whole of raccoon city open world with random zombie encounters. Then more traditional focused levels inside the mansion, School, underground lab etc..

Allandor

A multi-platform Pokemon game with the budget of GTA6.

You'll make a 10x return on your investment within 24 hours.
Not really return of investment as the license costs eat up almost all profits
And without a license (so create something pokemon like) good luck

For SEGA to take SpikeOut and turn it into a modern day Police Story and Jackie Chan game. Spikeout is perfect to re-create the mall Police Story fight but now with destructible scenery and proper bone-crushing psychics with you kicking and smashing enemies through the top of the balconies, through the shop windows and so on... You could have QTE events for the end of a big boss fight and also to recreate the umbrella bus chase scene in Police Story or when Chan was hanging off the Helicopter in Police Story 3 and borrow many elements from other Jackie Chan films like Project 2

I also love to see SEGA make a grown up, modern day Burning Rangers. Where you as Online Teams of say 8 each to a Team have to enter and say people in modern day Nuclear Power Stations and the like, that have suffered a terror attack or a massive natural disaster. Each team enters the site at a different points and can only communicate via a headset, where at certain points the game will need to meet up to put out a huge fire together and it be a mad panic of players trying to say where they are and give directions before it blows

MetalRain

Uhm.. LEGO.. everything. These people buy bag of plastic pieces for hundred dollars, let's make them buy digital pieces and then make collabs with all important brands to keep interest up.

Lego Starwars, Lego Barbie, Lego Pokemon, Lego D&D, Lego Minecraft, Lego FIFA, Lego Taylor Swift...

What ever your heart desires

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
GTA+l4d+battle royale but zombies ToTK ultra hand abilty to build zombie hunting machines red faction destruction physics combined with BotW physics engine and ability to climb anywhere

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Aliens colonial marines but this time actually good.

F-zero gx2

A peter monyleux game but it works.

Hideo kojima game minus the bullshit

Seth Rollins Laughing GIF by WWE

Power stone 3

Star fox but treasure makes it.

Super Mario bros the video game of the movie about the film about the games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom