• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - "We've put a lot of money into the market, over a billion dollars a year supporting third-party games coming into Game Pass"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fucking spare me. If they were making that much PROFIT (which they aren't) then both Sony and Nintendo would follow that exact same path. Microsoft spew so much shit it isn't funny.

Sony's PS+ revamp and the tiers seems like it's a pretty direct response to it. They're also bringing their first party titles to the sub services in a year or so time now, something they would never have done a few years back. The only thing they're not doing is releasing day and date first party games.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I dont think you get that Xbox is an ecosystem not just a console, i have tons of friends who sub to Gamepass PC and even general public who do, just because a console isnt selling well doesnt mean anything to a company making an ecosystem
I get it just fine. I have gamepass PC myself. That's the problem that some of you seem to be ignoring. You don't need the console. That's why nobody is buying them (among other reasons). So why continue to make them?

Last edited:

pasterpl

I get it just fine. I have gamepass PC myself. That's the problem that some of you seem to be ignoring. You don't need the console. That's why nobody is buying them (among other reasons). So why continue to make them?
Approximation now is 25 million consoles sold, it is not world shattering but saying nobody is quite a hyperbole. Especially when console sold so much “without games” as Gaf keep telling me. MS will probably end this generation with 50-60 m sold, which again is millions more than nobody. And the number of 1st party games already confirmed and officially announced for the next 1-3 years is quite impressive.

Approximation now is 25 million consoles sold, it is not world shattering but saying nobody is quite a hyperbole. Especially when console sold so much “without games” as Gaf keep telling me. MS will probably end this generation with 50-60 m sold, which again is millions more than nobody. And the number of 1st party games already confirmed and officially announced for the next 1-3 years is quite impressive.

Pretty much, people talk like the Xbox is pulling Dreamcast numbers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Didn't Sony say they were spending $500 million a year on first party develop?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the math doesnt add up.

is it net profit?
3.9billion? doesnt make sense from the sub numbers even if you include PC gamepass?

Why people keep flexing about renevue? come onnnnnnnnn

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Fucking spare me. If they were making that much PROFIT (which they aren't) then both Sony and Nintendo would follow that exact same path. Microsoft spew so much shit it isn't funny.

There are multiple paths to profit. Why would everyone follow the exact same route?

Apple and Samsung don’t follow the same philosophy when it comes to mobile hardware margins, but both are profitable.

You might as well argue that Sony has to be losing money on PC ports since Nintendo hasn’t followed that exact path and brought their games to PC.

havoc00

MS does not care about what you care about. Its not like this is the first rodeo. MS cannot be more clear about their direction and I really struggle to understand why it's so hard to understand. MS does not care about hurting console sales. They stopped caring about hurting console sales when they put day one all their first party games on PC.

MS has pretty much always from the get go that GP is their future. They have invested everything into it and all their moves have been towards making it successful. Yes, the Xbox console is a biproduct of that direction, but you can believe MS did not pay 69 billion dollars for Xbox consoles . They paid 69 billion dollars for GP and the future of their services within the gaming space.

MS will do whatever it takes to make GP a success. They will pour huge amounts of resources at the problem because gaming, not just console gaming but gaming in general is a huge market mobile etc and they want to be competitive in all areas but mostly they want GP to be the service of choice for all areas of gaming.

twilo99

Hello. Just checking in to say that I don't give a shit if a trillion dollar company has a profitable service.

Hi, do you happen to have a particular market cap at which you start to care about a given company? You clearly don't care about a trillion dollar one, but what happens bellow that threshold?

pasterpl

Really bad for gamers and gaming in general tho

never understood that argument that it is bad for gamers and gaming, lots of studios receive a hefty injection of money that sometimes is the only way that they can finish the game. Console gaming market is approx 250m users, so gampass with 25m subscribers is approx 10% of that. It is fully voluntary and at the end of the day thanks to this we are seeing more games developed by smaller studio, at the same time these are getting more exposure, saving on marketing spend.

Mr.ODST

But in an ecosystem you dont NEED a certain device, do I need an iPad for apple music? Do I need a Mac for my Apple TV subscription?

I find it funny sony fanboys runing in everwhere on this forum to shit on MS and keep using “consoles sold” as a metric when it doesnt tell the full story

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The fact that this guy cannot for the life of god shut the fuck up just shows how bad the sittuation must be for them .... the other companys just sells and occasionally drop an interview or sales report and move on.. this guy has to be talking 3 times a week to appear to have relevance and "swear" they are doing just fine .

Pathetic

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

If they spend $1+B a year to get 3rd party games on GP and they already hit a ceiling at ~40M subs and their consoles sales are getting crushed by Playstation and Nintendo, that doesn't sound like a good thing.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Hi, do you happen to have a particular market cap at which you start to care about a given company? You clearly don't care about a trillion dollar one, but what happens bellow that threshold?
Bonjour, I don't have a particular threshold for when I start caring about companies, gaming or otherwise.

I wouldn't react any different if Sony went out of Business vs a 4 person Dev team. Both situation will make no material difference in my life.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Why are we counting sub services like platform exclusives? Remnant 2 launching on GP doesn't mean its not available to PS console players.

I don't agree with your analogy at all in this matter.
His whole post was ass to begin with. No title that comes to Gamepass is exclusive. You can still buy the game at your leisure on your preferred platform (provided it's available) and purchase at a discount on gamepass itself.

Three

The fact that this guy cannot for the life of god shut the fuck up just shows how bad the sittuation must be for them .... the other companys just sells and occasionally drop an interview or sales report and move on.. this guy has to be talikg 3 times a week to appear to have relevance and "swear" they are doing just fine .

Pathetic
I found it entertaining that he shut up for some months because he didn't want to be putting his foot in his mouth during the ABK proceedings. Now that that's gone through he's doing interviews all over the place again. Don't think it has anything to do with being in a bad situation though.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You gotta admit, MS's game division is fucking stupid. If they're gonna spend a bil per year to try to beat PlayStation, they're doing it wrong. IF they were smart they'd sell Series X consoles at a major loss to gain ground against Sony, like sell consoles for $199.
Oooh Weeee! Smh. Stop. Just stop talking right now.

Tell me you have NO CLUE what you're talking about without telling me you have NO CLUE what you're talking about. Damn...

Ozriel

M$FT
The fact that this guy cannot for the life of god shut the fuck up just shows how bad the sittuation must be for them .... the other companys just sells and occasionally drop an interview or sales report and move on.. this guy has to be talikg 3 times a week to appear to have relevance and "swear" they are doing just fine .

Pathetic

Can’t be anywhere near as pathetic as people consistently complaining about an executive giving interviews, while at the same time demanding for more transparency in the industry.

You would certainly have a compelling point if the number of interviews given by gaming CEOs was directly correlated to console sales, subscriber counts or game development. But it’s not. And you certainly go out of your way to engage with these interviews.

You people will take ONE interview, break it up
Into multiple threads and post it here, then complain about it as if these are all separate interviews. Why?

Ozriel

M$FT
Now that that's gone through he's doing interviews all over the place again. Don't think it has anything to do with being in a bad situation though.

One interview with WindowsCentral is ‘interviews all over the place’?

The man was in Brazil for an Xbox event and WindowsCentral approached him for an interview. Bizarre how that’s apparently a bad thing now.

I found it entertaining that he shut up for some months because he didn't want to be putting his foot in his mouth during the ABK proceedings.

Yeah, this isn’t true. He gave a lot of interviews, especially around their ‘E3’ showcase and afterwards. The ABK proceedings were in full swing then.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I found it entertaining that he shut up for some months because he didn't want to be putting his foot in his mouth during the ABK proceedings. Now that that's gone through he's doing interviews all over the place again. Don't think it has anything to do with being in a bad situation though.
At least can we agree that a company that is fine and their flagship produtcs are fine dont have to tell this on interviews every few days .. right ?

And to be clear Im talking about xbox here as a branch of MS.. MS is more then fine and forever will be

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

That's the only thing they do "put a lot of money into XXX" and still are behind everyone on market.

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Phil talking about putting a billion into gamepass is exactly why he needs to go if MS wants to stand a chance in the console wars.

Sure they’ve brought that money, but that only brought games that were already going to be made anyway for the most part. Where are the new games? This entire generation and what… Star Field, Redfall and a couple Forza games is all they have to show for it.

They have barely contributed to gaming at all this generation in the form of NEW games. They are just consolidating other people’s games under their banner and calling it progress.

MacReady13

Sony's PS+ revamp and the tiers seems like it's a pretty direct response to it. They're also bringing their first party titles to the sub services in a year or so time now, something they would never have done a few years back. The only thing they're not doing is releasing day and date first party games.
So basically Sony are NOT following what Microsoft are doing. Eventually their games release on their sub service but not always within that years time frame. It’s a completely different way than what Microsoft is doing, and thank goodness for that.

lyan

the math doesnt add up.

is it net profit?
3.9billion? doesnt make sense from the sub numbers even if you include PC gamepass?

Why people keep flexing about renevue? come onnnnnnnnn
To put into perspective from their chart at FY14 their subscription revenue is 1.4B, at that time there are about 10-11million Xbox Ones from a quick google.
With double the amount of Series consoles around plus online becoming more important we can prudently assume they would have generated 3B from Xbox Live anyway so 3.9B sounds pretty reasonable factoring Ultimate and PC, that said with at least over a billion increased cost the margin is undoubtedly lower than before.

Godot25

Banned
To put into perspective from their chart at FY14 their subscription revenue is 1.4B, at that time there are about 10-11million Xbox Ones from a quick google.
With double the amount of Series consoles around plus online becoming more important we can prudently assume they would have generated 3B from Xbox Live anyway so 3.9B sounds pretty reasonable factoring Ultimate and PC, that said with at least over a billion increased cost the margin is undoubtedly lower than before.
You don't even need to do weird math.

Nadella straight up said in previous quarterly earnings (FYQ4 april-july) that Game Pass brought almost billion per quarter in revenue. Extrapolate that to whole year and you have almost 4 billions from Game Pass alone per year.
1 billion is invested into securing third-party content. 3 billions are left for other things.

Also, Stuart (Xbox CFO) said that Game Pass is high-margin business, so it's pretty clear that wet dreams of some people around here about "Game Pass is subsidzed by big daddy Microsoft" are just wrong.

lyan

Nadella straight up said in previous quarterly earnings (FYQ4 april-july) that Game Pass brought almost billion per quarter in revenue. Extrapolate that to whole year and you have almost 4 billions from Game Pass alone per year.
1 billion is invested into securing third-party content. 3 billions are left for other things.

Also, Stuart (Xbox CFO) said that Game Pass is high-margin business, so it's pretty clear that wet dreams of some people around here about "Game Pass is subsidzed by big daddy Microsoft" are just wrong.
Might want to read twice.

Translation. We haven't really had much success because we made some seriously fucking poor decisions (i.e. the launch Xbox one) so we just thought we'd buy it instead. Please be impressed by the amount of dollar we have spent in the hopes you buy our console or subscribe to our service.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Yes, 3 billion left in other things.

- Marketing.
- Third-party royalties
- First-party investments

Starfield was released day one on Game Pass. If they only made 150m in retail, then that amount needs to be recovered through Game Pass. It's going to be harder to recover that extra revenue in retail because most gamers who wanted to wait for a discount probably decided to get the game through Game Pass for just $9.99.

Next year you're probably going to see Hellblade 2 and Fable and that's why growth is going to be very important for Microsoft. If the retail sales are flat and growth becomes stagnant, it's going to be harder to recover the budget from these titles.

Yes, this is why Microsoft wanted growth by 2027

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hello. Just checking in to say that I don't give a shit if a trillion dollar company has a profitable service.

You should. If the trillion-dollar company stops making a profit, they will stop making the things you like.

If the margins are SOOOO high with Game Pass, then why is that MS is raising the price on the Xbox Series S and X consoles this year?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If the margins are SOOOO high with Game Pass, then why is that MS is raising the price on the Xbox Series S and X consoles this year?

Why did Nintendo need to release Tears of the Kingdom for $70 when Switch is the second highest selling gaming console of all time?

Hardware and content are different brackets of revenue.

pasterpl

The fact that this guy cannot for the life of god shut the fuck up just shows how bad the sittuation must be for them .... the other companys just sells and occasionally drop an interview or sales report and move on.. this guy has to be talking 3 times a week to appear to have relevance and "swear" they are doing just fine .

Pathetic
He lives free of charge in your head I see and triggger you much /s

yes, it is horrible when a company communicates regularly with their customers via various means. It is such a bad practice.

Top Bottom