• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

Skelterz

Shame. I myself am skipping a mainline game at launch for the first time ever. Waiting for impressions from people other than journos, the single character action combat focus has me a bit wary. If they can pull it off, could be fun, but Final Fantasy isn't what I look for, when I think of high octane skill based action combat.

I'll probably pick up the eventual PC version that they keep "wink wink nudge nudge"-ing about.

Then I watched the PAX east gameplay video and this part made me laugh.

It looks shit let’s be honest it’s such a departure from the series at it’s best, I’ll patiently wait for Dragon Quest 12 and Persona 6.

It's a character action game through and through. Much more inline with DMC or OG God of War. Completely understandable why actually FF fans are not that hyped or atleast cautious about this one.

I love FF and dmc style action so I know I will enjoy this. BUT this should never have been a numbered title, its obviously a spin off like dirge of Cerberus. The number is there just to increase sales, that simple.

Its not open world, there is no party and its NOT an rpg (though they keep saying it is). That's not a mainline FF game, end of.

hussar16

User has been removed from the thread for blatant trolling.
How in the world does the artstyle or characters look like PS3 models? Do you even remember what PS3 models looked like? Or are you just a troll?
I got you . Actually couldn't find many ps3 characters with ugly art design as this game had to go all the way to ps2.
nuqxWLF.jpg
VXlGGZL.jpg

cireza

XV launch was such an empty shell with the "Royal Edition" being a shining example of screwing over early buyers.
Royal Edition was poop made to please the masses by adding a ton of bloat and useless features. Completed it and went back to vanilla immediately after.

Klosshufvud

Royal Edition was poop made to please the masses by adding a ton of bloat and useless features. Completed it and went back to vanilla immediately after.
Why would you go back to vanilla? Royal has significantly more story and more gameplay additions. Vanilla doesn't even have Armiger Unleashed.

cireza

Why would you go back to vanilla? Royal has significantly more story and more gameplay additions. Vanilla doesn't even have Armiger Unleashed.
Armiger Unleashed feels utterly pointless. Just like the series of additional bosses at end game. And they ruined the last chapter, feels like a bloated sight-seeing trip instead of a dramatic, short and intense set-piece.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It's a character action game through and through. Much more inline with DMC or OG God of War. Completely understandable why actually FF fans are not that hyped or atleast cautious about this one.

I love FF and dmc style action so I know I will enjoy this. BUT this should never have been a numbered title, its obviously a spin off like dirge of Cerberus. The number is there just to increase sales, that simple.

Its not open world, there is no party and its NOT an rpg (though they keep saying it is). That's not a mainline FF game, end of.
And yet it will manage to be the best mainline entry in more than two decades. This will hurt! :D

Last edited:

KiteGr

One of those three entries were released incomplete on purpose, I'm surprised they walked back on that plan.
Which one?
FF13 forgot to leave Gameplay for the player, and hid it's story in encyclopedia text. It smells "we had to ship it as it is" and "we didn't know where we where going with it" all over it.

FF14 was a mess, and the only reason it became playable was because they literally remade it from scratch. The guys making it didn't even had played WoW, and their only experience with MMOs was FF11 and perhaps Ultima. If you are an apologiser of FF14, then you have no right to criticise No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk.

FF15 Was clearly a salvage project. The original FFvs13 was stucked in development hell for far to long and they had to release... something. The edgy story parts revolving around death where removed. The rest of the story was splitt into diferent mediums, most seperatelly sold. The biggest events happened off screen. The spell and item system clearly needed some beta testing. The world clearly had parts that where originally part of the game but cut.

Any sane person would (and should) be skeptic when it comes to new FF games. Add to that, FF16 feels like it doesn't have any clear visual identity with it looking like a generic bedieval Fantasy themed asian game. Take most cutscene or trailer screenshot without interface, and the uninitiated wouldn't be able to tell if they are from FF13, 14, 15 or some spinn off.
FFXVI_MediaKit_05__1_.0.jpg

screenshot-17-1600286978290.jpg

5_Cut_header-ptaazzwg6.jpeg

Final-Fantasy-XVI-284507.jpg

final_fantasy_xv_image_kKWHt.jpg
It all has become a blur...

The Chery on top is that it is releasing close to Diablo 4. As much as Actiblizzard has fallen from grace, a new Diablo is still a gaming event!

Last edited:

Roufianos

I just can't see this game flopping if it reviews well, which I'm almost certain it will. Pre-orders aren't the be all and end all.

Perfo

Maybe 16 years as I think XII had a few qualities.

But yeah it should at least be better than XIII and XV…

I love FF12 but let’s not pretend is was far from rushed and incomplete like all their projects following FFXI. FF16 it’s the first FF in more than two decades with a clear vision and smooth development cycle which I’m sure it’ll reflect in the overall quality of the package. At least we’re sure to get a complete balanced and fulfilling campaign from start to finish.

Last edited:
Well, I cancelled my preorder after watching this...

S13K1Ok.gif

I don't even care if it's a Yoshida game or whatever. FF14 was (and is) an absolute marvel. I love Final Fantasy, but I'm not going to buy this crap. And before someone tells me, I know that's the accesibility mode, what I'm talking about is the fact that I have to smash buttons for 2 hours to kill a random mob. That combined with that awful camera shake effect and hideous UI makes me want to puke.

Perfo

Well, I cancelled my preorder after watching this...

S13K1Ok.gif

I don't even care if it's a Yoshida game or whatever. FF14 was (and is) an absolute marvel. I love Final Fantasy, but I'm not going to buy this crap. And before someone tells me, I know that's the accesibility mode, what I'm talking about is the fact that I have to smash buttons for 2 hours to kill a random mob. That combined with that awful camera shake effect and hideous UI makes me want to puke.

We’ve seen trash mobs getting killed in few hits in many more videos. Also the speed at killing them really depends on the good use of the character from the player given the importance of staggering. It’s like FFXIII, when you learn you get faster and faster.

Kumomeme

plot twist:

this is false news purposely cooked up by Yoshi-P to gain marketing. now almost every page is talking about it.

I got you . Actually couldn't find many ps3 characters with ugly art design as this game had to go all the way to ps2.
nuqxWLF.jpg
VXlGGZL.jpg
Did you literally just post pictures proving how ridiculous your own statement was? Lmao

When cognitive dissonance goes so far that there's no coming back. This is legitimately brilliant!

kondorBonk

Oh, don't get me wrong. There are few good things I can say about any element of FFXV. I genuinely think it is simply that bad of a story/game as a whole. That said, that's just my opinion and some people have convinced themselves there is something salvageable with the game.

My main point is they screwed over early buyers and fragmented/diluted the early game with nonsense multimedia projects. We have "Day One", "Deluxe", "Ultimate Collector's Edition" and the "Royal Edition". Of course you could also buy DLC for each character to fill in the blank moments in their story which were included in the later released. You can be totally lost in the story if not for the the Kingsglaive Movie which should have been part of the game and the Brotherhood thing which I didn't bother watching.

The initial release was maybe rushed but if thats the case, and they were trying to fix their image or make it up to fans, those should have been free additions. This seems more planned to drip feed and milk every last drop.

Love Square Enix games but FF is something I'll "wait and see".

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I love FF12 but let’s not pretend is was far from rushed and incomplete like all their projects following FFXI. FF16 it’s the first FF in more than two decades with a clear vision and smooth development cycle which I’m sure it’ll reflect in the overall quality of the package. At least we’re sure to get a complete balanced and fulfilling campaign from start to finish.
As much as I have issues about FFXVI design choices, I agree that it looks like it will ship in a complete state and be well polished.

Madflavor

Jeff Grub offers insight on the "Preorder Panic" situation. Conversations starts at 3:40, but the meat of what Jeff is saying starts at 8:00

To sum up:
  • There are multiple reasons contributing to whatever slight preorder panic they're having.
  • First is that preorder culture has died down since 2016 when FFXV released.
  • Square has a history of unrealistic expectations for sales.
  • The game hasn't been marketed nearly as hard as FFXV.
  • This year has been insane with big game releases. In the past month we've gotten Zelda, Diablo, and Street Fighter. All big games with huge review scores, and people can't comprehend FFXVI coming out in 2-3 weeks because they're so busy with everything else.
  • Make of this what you will. Jeff thinks people will fall in love with the demo, and will boost presales. Additionally he thinks FFXVI is going to do very well, and would not be unreasonable to suspect it will eventually hit FFXV's numbers.

Hype cycle for this game has been weak.

I still remember that girl in white dress from Final Fantasy 15 (forgot her name). Everyone was talking about her and other party members constantly, whenever they were revealed.

No party characters or lore / world building has been worth getting excited about here. Even the gameplay loop is questionable, what other stuff is to do in the world apart from combat?

Square needed to handle this stuff better.

Madflavor

I still remember that girl in white dress from Final Fantasy 15 (forgot her name). Everyone was talking about her and other party members constantly, whenever they were revealed.

No party characters or lore / world building has been worth getting excited about here. Even the gameplay loop is questionable, what other stuff is to do in the world apart from combat?

By the same token I would argue FFXV didn't deserve the hype and marketing it received.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

You're not wrong. The next numbered FF game is releasing in .. what .. 2 weeks ? There's very little hype and marketing. FFXV had much more media stuff about it pre-release.

cireza

Oh, don't get me wrong. There are few good things I can say about any element of FFXV. I genuinely think it is simply that bad of a story/game as a whole. That said, that's just my opinion and some people have convinced themselves there is something salvageable with the game.

My main point is they screwed over early buyers and fragmented/diluted the early game with nonsense multimedia projects. We have "Day One", "Deluxe", "Ultimate Collector's Edition" and the "Royal Edition". Of course you could also buy DLC for each character to fill in the blank moments in their story which were included in the later released. You can be totally lost in the story if not for the the Kingsglaive Movie which should have been part of the game and the Brotherhood thing which I didn't bother watching.

The initial release was maybe rushed but if thats the case, and they were trying to fix their image or make it up to fans, those should have been free additions. This seems more planned to drip feed and milk every last drop.

Love Square Enix games but FF is something I'll "wait and see".
None of which was a necessity at any point. Play Vanilla, you don't need anything else to enjoy the game and story. People need to have everything served on a plate these days. Additional background stories for whatever characters are like fillers or spin-offs. You don't need them.

In any case, FF XV was huge and you could sense that people wanted to play the game. FF XVI I didn't even bother looking at coverage after the initial trailer. It might still have its success, of course.

Last edited:

Perfo

Not a fair comparison, of course the hype was bigger. Fucking Versus XIII has been in development hell for a decade, has been in the known for so long!

The hype for XVI is the hype you get for a game that quickly releases and the media tour started near the end of its development. It's more like Zelda TOTK where people thought was going to be a bomb or an uninteresting game till when reviews started dropping 10s all over and the hype quickly built up. I wish for a similar situation here versus years of vapourware for a mediocre title like 15.

Last edited:
Not a fair comparison, of course the hype was bigger. Fucking Versus XIII has been in development hell for a decade, has been in the known for so long!

The hype for XVI is the hype you get for a game that quickly releases and the media tour started near the end of its development. It's more like Zelda TOTK where people thought was going to be a bomb or an uninteresting game till when reviews started dropping 10s all over and the hype quickly built up. I wish for a similar situation here versus years of vapourware for a mediocre title like 15.

Yeah, hopefully it captures what Final Fantasy of the past used to do good.

They have not yet shown anything that would make you think it does.

Madflavor

Their last marketing push is this weekend with the FFXVI Live Event, and the release of the Demo. Several big streamers will be streaming the demo including Moist, Ludwig, Asmongold, and Max. Streamers are a big deal as they generate lots of views. For example:

2.2 million views

Supposedly the demo's progress will be carried over into the full game, and it'll contain the intro of the story. If the intro of the story is as good as the previews have been alluded to, and ends on a cliffhanger, I feel like a lot more hype will be generated after that.

Last edited:
Which one?
FF13 forgot to leave Gameplay for the player, and hid it's story in encyclopedia text. It smells "we had to ship it as it is" and "we didn't know where we where going with it" all over it.

FF14 was a mess, and the only reason it became playable was because they literally remade it from scratch. The guys making it didn't even had played WoW, and their only experience with MMOs was FF11 and perhaps Ultima. If you are an apologiser of FF14, then you have no right to criticise No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk.

FF15 Was clearly a salvage project. The original FFvs13 was stucked in development hell for far to long and they had to release... something. The edgy story parts revolving around death where removed. The rest of the story was splitt into diferent mediums, most seperatelly sold. The biggest events happened off screen. The spell and item system clearly needed some beta testing. The world clearly had parts that where originally part of the game but cut.

Any sane person would (and should) be skeptic when it comes to new FF games. Add to that, FF16 feels like it doesn't have any clear visual identity with it looking like a generic bedieval Fantasy themed asian game. Take most cutscene or trailer screenshot without interface, and the uninitiated wouldn't be able to tell if they are from FF13, 14, 15 or some spinn off.
FFXVI_MediaKit_05__1_.0.jpg

screenshot-17-1600286978290.jpg

5_Cut_header-ptaazzwg6.jpeg

Final-Fantasy-XVI-284507.jpg

final_fantasy_xv_image_kKWHt.jpg
It all has become a blur...

The Chery on top is that it is releasing close to Diablo 4. As much as Actiblizzard has fallen from grace, a new Diablo is still a gaming event!

I though you were talking about literally the last 3 entries, not the last 3 main entries, my bad.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Jeff Grub offers insight on the "Preorder Panic" situation. Conversations starts at 3:40, but the meat of what Jeff is saying starts at 8:00

To sum up:
  • There are multiple reasons contributing to whatever slight preorder panic they're having.
  • This year has been insane with big game releases. In the past month we've gotten Zelda, Diablo, and Street Fighter. All big games with huge review scores, and people can't comprehend FFXVI coming out in 2-3 weeks because they're so busy with everything else.
  • Make of this what you will. Jeff thinks people will fall in love with the demo, and will boost presales. Additionally he thinks FFXVI is going to do very well, and would not be unreasonable to suspect it will eventually hit FFXV's numbers.

Yah folks are choosing to buy Zelda/Diablo/Street Fighter now over this game. But I dont think its not hugely marketed. Seems lots of threads around by Playstation fans

GenericUser

We'll see. If the game turns out to be great, I'm sure word of mouth will help to sell it like crazy. If it's not good, then not, easy as that.
I have faith in the title but I'm waiting for some reviews before I bite. Though if square thinks that the game will sell millions of copy trough the name alone, they are delusional. These times are long gone.

Don't!
Wait for user reviews. The ones not influenced by embargoes, publisher sponcores and black lists.
They've released incomplete games as mainline 3 times in a row now...
No, the gameplay i saw was enough. But you have a point about incomplete game, huge day 1 patch or a broken game...
Maybe i wait to see if the game has some major issues on the release. So, day 3 or later lol.

About reviews,
I never ever buy anything based on "professional" sites or users review.
I do my judgement.

PS: Maybe can sound Im angry with you, not the case. Im just hate buy things based on other people opinions.If u see my collection, with games that nobody care, low scores, and i love... :D

Last edited:

KiteGr

About reviews,
I never ever buy anything based on "professional" sites or users review.
I do my judgement.
I said "user Reviews".
For me, that's random, or semi-profecional youtubers. I'll take "Dreamcast guy's" and "Angry Joe's" review over any major site's like IGN...

Kumomeme

what i can see they want to avoid much spoiler as possible. this is some of common critism toward FF13 and 15. they spoil too much on trailer to the point almost reveal up all most important cutscene. sure, due to that they managed to generate immense hype but at cost of spoiled important moment or plot of story. people expected something more when played the actual game but when you did, there is less surprise anyway since there is nothing much else to offer.

aside Jared death. poor him. totally never see it coming. totally cant forget about him.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I still haven't played FF15. Is the FF15 Royal Edition from the ps collection worth playing out of boredom or will I just be making myself annoyed without need?

GreyHand23

The biggest reason is simply the release date. The game will sell very well, but getting a preorder so close after Diablo 4, which I believe has a significant overlap in the type of person who would also enjoy final fantasy is tough. I have several friends that want final fantasy, but are waiting to buy it because they will still be playing Diablo 4. Publishers need to be more strategic when choosing their release dates. The movie industry regularly changed dates to avoid other highly anticipated releases for this exact reason.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Shame. I myself am skipping a mainline game at launch for the first time ever. Waiting for impressions from people other than journos, the single character action combat focus has me a bit wary. If they can pull it off, could be fun, but Final Fantasy isn't what I look for, when I think of high octane skill based action combat.

I'll probably pick up the eventual PC version that they keep "wink wink nudge nudge"-ing about.

Then I watched the PAX east gameplay video and this part made me laugh.

Why the fuck is he showing the world it can be played with literally one hand and button mashing? I guess this is a demonstration of the accessibility options and not the actual normal gameplay?

Careful in saying that it looks bad though, you will be labelled a troll.

saintjules

To sum up:

Square is creating FUD for no reason. They'll be fine with this one. But they should know given the state of AAA games coming out subpar, people will either reserve themselves until positive reviews are out or a salle occurs (not ideal to get full priced sales).

Magusx

I don't know I'm a big FF fan but still thinking if I will buy this or not. I really thing the character design is really bad.

DeathGuise

I wish they would just quit trying to resurrect Final Fantasy VII. Let it thrive where it is-- in the past, cherished memories that we're able to revisit. Stop turning it into a frankenstein monster.

I'm much more interested in XVI.

Madflavor

I don't know I'm a big FF fan but still thinking if I will buy this or not. I really thing the character design is really bad.

They’re some of the best designed characters this IP has had in a long time. I’m fucking tired of the Nomura style of overly designed clothes, spikey hairstyles, and effeminate males that’s been plaguing this franchise for so long.

We finally get a big hairy sweaty gigachad as a FF protagonist. Rejoice!
aHggwRc.jpg

swaffles23

Do people even preorder games as much as they used to? Digital is the dominant way people purchase these days, completely different from how it was when FFXVI released in 2016. I don't see a reason to pre-order a digital game

Kumomeme

Why the fuck is he showing the world it can be played with literally one hand and button mashing? I guess this is a demonstration of the accessibility options and not the actual normal gameplay?

Careful in saying that it looks bad though, you will be labelled a troll.

yes. he demonstrated the accessibility ring. he show that those who suck at action game but still want to play for stories can still do with this option. also usefull for those who want to grind things quickly.

definitely not normal gameplay. the ring will be automatically equipped for story mode but not for action mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom