• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a gif, scariest scenes in horror films (spoilers)

Jombie

Carrie

X6lqL5.gif

Suspiria

Suspiria.gif

Texas Chainsaw

the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-dinner-scene-gif.gif

A Tale of Two Sisters

tumblr_md0743dY241re4ylro1_500.gif

Chuckie

it's one of the japanese grudges I think.

Juon = Grudge
Ringu = The Ring

There are four Japanese Ju-On movies, one of the is Ju-On: The Grudge (which was remade as the Grudge)

However the GIF is (if I am seeing things correctly) Sadako crawling out of the TV set

big_z

Holy crap, can't believe I forgot about Jacob's Ladder. Movie is amazing.

Pretty sure it is...first time I can remember, anyway. Also the inspiration for Silent Hill. In fact, its' a better Silent Hill movie than Silent Hill

Fun fact, Jacobs ladder was not the inspiration for silent hill. Yes some horror elements might have been lifted but the movie Silent Hill is actually based on is:

Click for trailer. Like 80% of the game is based on this turd.

televator

Not gifs but here are some creepy shots of the creepiest movie i ever watched.

The Grudge

The Grudge is almost too much for me to handle. It legit disturbs me. She looks and moves like a walking corpse (because she is)... and the eyes that don't blink... 3 spooky 5 me

Stiler

Fun fact, Jacobs ladder was not the inspiration for silent hill. Yes some horror elements might have been lifted but the movie Silent Hill is actually based on is:

Pretty sure it was the book, not the movie, that they drew inspiration from for SH, since there's like less than a year apart from movie release and the game.

Even still, I enjoyed that movie...but I love b-horror movies in general.

yuoke

Banned

Ben Affleck was the bomb in phantoms, yo!

Dommo

bone tomahawk

0tRDIhB.gif

tumblr_o0jx5loJ7L1tgzy4ko2_540.gif
<-- graphic af!!!

Um.... I just watched the full scene on YouTube and it's one of the most disturbing, blatantly grotesque things I've seen in a film. I hadn't heard a peep of controversy about this film prior to seeing your post. I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion surrounding it.

Being scalped and then fed your scalp while still alive not being the most explicit thing in your scene is an achievement to say the least. Good lord.

Jombie

Um.... I just watched the full scene on YouTube and it's one of the most disturbing, blatantly grotesque things I've seen in a film. I hadn't heard a peep of controversy about this film prior to seeing your post. I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion surrounding it.

Being scalped and then fed your scalp while still alive not being the most explicit thing in your scene is an achievement to say the least. Good lord.

That made my day a bit brighter. I'll have to watch it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What am I missing here? I've watched it like 15 times and I can't find anything scary.

Well you have to watch the movie because real terror is about mood, setup, and payoff, and not just grossout gore like most of the gifs being posted in this thread. But the gist is
Jimmy Stewart (the guy with the camera) is stuck in his apartment with a broken leg, and over the course of days of spying on the apartment building across the street, begins to suspect Raymond Burr (the guy with the glasses) of murdering his wife. In the scene before the gif, Stewart's girlfriend Kim Novak (the one with her back to us in the gif) sneaks into Burr's apartment to find evidence that his wife is dead and not just on a trip. She finds the wife's wedding ring right as Burr catches her in the apartment, but Stewart, watching the whole thing, has called the police and they arrive before Burr can hurt Novak. The gif is the moment when they're talking to the police, Novak is explaining what happened and Burr is trying to figure out how the police were there instantly, when he notices Novak is trying to signal Stewart that she found the ring, which is proof that the wife is dead because "no woman would leave that behind" or something like that. Burr notices this and finally puts two and two together and looks right fucking at us. After spending the entire movie being a voyeur from Stewart's point of view, suddenly we're caught doing it by a murderer.
It's one of the most effective payoff shots in the history of the medium.

DocSeuss

Some great stuff here, but legit surprised we didn't have that scene from The Conjuring, which to me, was this amazing payoff for the rest of the movie. Everything came down to that point.

tumblr_o889j9NCiw1spkic4o1_r1_500.gif

Well you have to watch the movie because real terror is about mood, setup, and payoff, and not just grossout gore like most of the gifs being posted in this thread. But the gist is
Jimmy Stewart (the guy with the camera) is stuck in his apartment with a broken leg, and over the course of days of spying on the apartment building across the street, begins to suspect Raymond Burr (the guy with the glasses) of murdering his wife. In the scene before the gif, Stewart's girlfriend Kim Novak (the one with her back to us in the gif) sneaks into Burr's apartment to find evidence that his wife is dead and not just on a trip. She finds the wife's wedding ring right as Burr catches her in the apartment, but Stewart, watching the whole thing, has called the police and they arrive before Burr can hurt Novak. The gif is the moment when they're talking to the police, Novak is explaining what happened and Burr is trying to figure out how the police were there instantly, when he notices Novak is trying to signal Stewart that she found the ring, which is proof that the wife is dead because "no woman would leave that behind" or something like that. Burr notices this and finally puts two and two together and looks right fucking at us. After spending the entire movie being a voyeur from Stewart's point of view, suddenly we're caught doing it by a murderer.
It's one of the most effective payoff shots in the history of the medium.

Terror/horror/suspense is a lot like comedy in that payoff requires fantastic setup. Hitchcock was brilliant because he knew how to set things up better than pretty much anyone else before or since.

Airola

Creepshow 2 is great!

From the second story:
KBzvlJf.gif

From the third story:
ZMO09c1.gif

CPLFLRG.gif

dJjP6AD.gif

I absolutely LOVE that "you killed me" moment when it becomes clear that this guy is from beyond death and has come to relentlessly haunt you and you probably have no way to stop him because he's dead and you can't kill what's already dead.

Airola

gets even better when you realize it's Laura Dern's face

lauradern-inlandempire1.gif

Wait, what? Are there people who didn't see it was Laura's face? What?
I never thought that would even be a thing to not see her face in the morphed image. I thought it was obvious and it didn't even try to hide it.

Chuckie

Wait, what? Are there people who didn't see it was Laura's face? What?
I never thought that would even be a thing to not see her face in the morphed image. I thought it was obvious and it didn't even try to hide it.

I didn't see it untill that gif was posted. And I just watched Twin Peaks.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
tumblr_ofpml4jLX01rfd7lko1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Pet-Sematary.gif

Pet Sematary (1989)

Great novel, great film, great poster.

I'm really intrigued by IT's remake despite my previous misgivings, but I still miss the realness of the 80's and early 90's. I don't know if it was the colours, the practical effects or the edgy atittude of the era, but there's nothing quite like it. Evil Dead and The Hills Have Eye's remakes are the closest things to it (and they were fantastic).

3HyV6gL.gif
tumblr_mc8ksnhxPT1rc3jz9o2_500.gif

The trailer scene was some fucked up shit. The remake of The Hills Have Eyes also gets some extra points for being one of the first films to show what happens when you take a shotgun slug to the head at close range. I'm a bit of a gore hound and that film left me shook. That rarely happens.

gamz

I see a ton of Lynch stuff but nothing from Frank Booth in Blue Velvet. Shame. The dude was terrifying.

Mascot

Not really a horror movie, but that scene from Dali's Un Chien Andalou has haunted me for over thirty years...

200.webp

It's a cow's eye.

Airola

Is there a good explanation to that scene? Why are there a build up? Who are they afraid of? :)

The guy has seen dreams about this certain diner and an absolutely terrifying man being around there. He called another guy to meet in this diner and tells him about the dream. In an attempt to get rid of the terrible feeling the dreams gave him they go and basically reenact the dream.

What's great in the scene is the way the guy becomes more and more nervous the more he goes forward. For me the build up really is fantastic but the pay off wasn't as good as expected.

Here you can see the full scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

Only scary part in a vastly overrated and excessively boring film about people you love to hate. Also invented the worst horror film genre: Found Footage.

It made the genre popular, but it had already been done in Cannibal Holocaust for example.

kinggroin

Banned
downloadfile41kqw.gif

A depressed man who dresses as a cat (cock and all) and looks for nine sacrifices to bring his dead pet cat Patrick, back to life. In the gif, he's head stomping victim number 8.

JamminSalmon

Neo Member
The guy has seen dreams about this certain diner and an absolutely terrifying man being around there. He called another guy to meet in this diner and tells him about the dream. In an attempt to get rid of the terrible feeling the dreams gave him they go and basically reenact the dream.

What's great in the scene is the way the guy becomes more and more nervous the more he goes forward. For me the build up really is fantastic but the pay off wasn't as good as expected.

Here you can see the full scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

I've seen Mulholland drive a few times, but like a dream it's very hard to recall points of the movie. I remember this scene feeling out of place, because we never see these two characters again. What was the overall point of the diner scene?

Zen Aku

I can't find a gif for it but that last moment in Thriller where Michael Jackson turned around and his eyes are glowing and there's an evil laugh. That fucked me up hard as a kid.

Schlorgan

giphy.gif

The Never-ending Story

giphy.gif

James and the Giant Peach

Not from horror films, but these things terrified me as a child.

sinister-pool-party.gif

Sinister. The whole Bagul thing and his methodology is lame, but those snuff videos are creepy as fuck. And the music is otherworldly and excellent.

Those snuff videos are legitimately some of the most unsettling things I've seen in a movie. The grainy film quality, the absolutely stellar music, the brutality. The rest of the movie was your generic jump scare deal, but those snuff films made it memorable.

cerulily

Can't find a gif, unfortunately.

But despite being more of a thriller "A tale of two sisters" has some very creepy moments.

ataleoftwosisters-1024x555.png

CHC

sutherlandscream.gif

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

tumblr_nkuilvqLag1qllrz1o2_500.gif

Borgman (2014)

tumblr_n5xsm9vSeN1qai71go2_250.gif

Audition (1999)

Not all strictly conventional "horror," but disturbing nevertheless.

tumblr_ottzjsMaqu1saaip8o2_500.gif

The Wailing

So, so good. I have a serious love for movies that ride the line with supernatural stuff, and make you wonder all along whether or not there is otherworldly stuff going on. It's pretty masterful when a film can do a full visual reveal of a monster like that and have it feel like it was earned.

Top Bottom