• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the most honest interview of the year; Remedy dev gets honest about Series S, craps on the push for 60fps everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Dial it back on the clickbait titles misrepresenting what the developer has said.

How refreshing.

Good watch/interview. Really highlights the importance of 30fps for any dev that wants to push fidelity.

Straight up says "60fps is a huge, huge compromise"

In regards to games not being 4K60:
"Would you rather us make the game on the weakest platform, or would you rather us take advantage of the most powerful platforms?"

Talks about how the word "Optimize" is thrown around by frame warriors as if its some type of magic. Sacrifice is required.

They were able to get the performance mode to run "mostly" at 60. Lots of sacrifices made in that mode. Their focus was absolutely on getting a rock solid 30.

"Im a big performance mode guy, but I play this at 30 because its so smooth and the visuals are just incredible"

Playing this at 60fps sounds like a lesser experience.

Also expressed how he “feels bad” for Netherealms studios having to get MK1 running on the switch. Lol

Good to see some non PR fluff being spoken. And a nice little reality check to those who think Series S isn’t a problem. It absolutely is and he comes outta and says it in the most polite way possible.

Topher

Gold Member
"60fps is a huge, huge compromise"

Meaning GIF

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just make it awesome, but no excuse for it to not run at 60 and above on beastly PC hardware.

I've pre ordered on Epic store. Please dont let me down Remedy!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah I agree. People are too stubborn because they played a game at 30fps. You get used to it in 17 minutes.
Of course there is good and bad fps.

Bad
30fps - gow ragnarok and demos souls remake. It’s unplayable. Huge lag. Perfect framepacing doesn’t help if the lag is huge.

Good - forbidden west, bloodborne, ff16, driveclub… just to name a few. Yeah some framepacing issues in bb that do not bother me. That game is fast and responsive. Ff16 is bitter at 30fps too. Great motion blur. Looks good even on oled

Filldo

Lol refreshing to see "frame warriors" getting shut down.

Locked 30fps is more than fine to run a game.
I just think they ruin their own argument when they say anything less than 60fps is unplayable. We're all playing the fucking game at less than 60fps and we've played sub 60fps games for literal generations. I think I just hate hyperbole and the new way of debating is now nothing but. Everything is the worst now. We can't have real discussion until people stop talking like this.

Taycan77

No, I won't be playing any sub 60fps games again.

With BC and remasters I'm happy to wait for mid-gen console refreshes or even a new gen to play titles at 60fps with all the graphical bells & whistles.

I recommend watching the full video, however, I transcribed a small part of the discussion between IGN and Thomas Puha from Remedy which you can read here:

IGN: Is the Xbox Series S a net positive, in the eyes of a top-tier developer like Remedy?

Thomas Puha (Remedy): Choosing my words carefully here - we like Xbox, we like Sony. On Series S, the CPU is pretty much the same as on Series X. There's not a massive difference, but the GPU is an issue, it really is. Then, having less memory is a pretty big problem. We often get comments like, 'Hey, you make PC games, surely you know how to scale.' Well, memory is not a problem on PC. It really isn't, and that's one of the struggles when you talk about resolution and frame-rate.

It's not enough to just drop the resolution heavily (that's what we're doing on the Series S) and really, really working hard to make sure that the visual quality still holds up. It's strange that people can't accept that on a weaker PC, you're just going to have less. The visuals are not going to be as good, and your frame rate is not going to be as high as expected.

There's a massive difference between Series S and Series X GPUs. Sure, people can mention that this game did this so well and all that, but every game is different, and every developer is different. You can't have the best of both worlds, and you have to choose where you're going to focus.

I think the Series S is priced at $250 or whatnot, while the Series X and PS5 are $500. Obviously, there's a massive difference in the power you're getting, right? It's a lot easier to scale on the PC because of memory. It's not like there's one super PC and one weaker PC. There are 300+ PC configurations in between, and trust me, that's a massive struggle. But we've shipped a lot of games on PC, so we're a bit better about that. We really worked hard on getting the Series S to run at a solid 30 FPS and trying to maintain good visual quality. But if you want to see the game (e.g. AW2) at its best, in full next-gen glory, then it's going to be on the machines that have the hardware grunt to enable that.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Doesn't matter how much horsepower you give developers they will always prefer to use it to push visual boundaries rather than increase framerates.

Pretty pictures sell.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Lol refreshing to see "frame warriors" getting shut down.

Locked 30fps is more than fine to run a game.
For you.

I just can't stand how choppy 30 fps looks. And I don't mean "plays", I mean actually how it looks.

You and others may be used to it, right, but for those playing on PC since at least late 7th gen, 30 fps is a compromise we make for certain games and not all of them deserve.

It's ok if a dev want to make 30 fps game to get more out of visual capabilities, but then it's 60 fps the one that becomes a compromise for lots of us, it's the 30 fps the "compromised" mode.

60 fps only good for fighters and racing.
Destiny on last gen was 30 fps for a long time before the pc version was out. How many of you have 1000 hours in that 30 fps game.

Xtib81

I could potentially make an exception for that game even though I hate 30fps. It has to look amazing though.

proandrad

30 fps mode better look completely jaw dropping if the 60 fps mode is such a huge compromise. I have yet to see a game that the 30 fps mode justifies the drop in framerate. It’s usually the dev doesn’t want to spend that extra resources at the end of a dev cycle to optimize their game to push it out earlier. Why do we keep getting games patched 6 months later with fixed performance modes if the game was actually optimized to begin with?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'd rather get visuals like Quantum Break with further gameplay innovations at 1440/60fps (on console) over anything I've seen of Alan Wake 2 at 30.

lSV5GTh.gif

I really hope Alan Wake 2 does good numbers so Remedy can lock in a Quantum Break 2.........we have to go back and rescue Beth.
Remedys resurgence got me to go back and replay Quantum Break.....such an underrated game.
It got alot of hate for the "optional" live action stuff and because people were playing it like a cover shooter when its meant to be played aggressively.
You ahve frikken time powers, why would you cower away?

P.S It also gave us this scene:
EZASQ5H.gif

GymWolf

The game doesn't look like a 30 fps only game tbh and the fact that they can still squeeze a 60 fps mode speaks volume on how much this is a real 30 fps only game at its core.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
30 fps is fine for people who only play one game at a time and for games that don't require fast response times. The Last of Us 2 was 30fps on PS4 and no one docked it any points because it.

If you're constantly switching between titles, the 30fps effect feels jarring.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I just think they ruin their own argument when they say anything less than 60fps is unplayable. We're all playing the fucking game at less than 60fps and we've played sub 60fps games for literal generations. I think I just hate hyperbole and the new way of debating is now nothing but. Everything is the worst now. We can't have real discussion until people stop talking like this.
Not everybody played 30 fps for generations, there are lots of people that never, for example, I've played games at 60 fps since 7th gen consoles.

I've always skipped MS and Sony consoles, PC and most mainline Nintendo games are 60 fps so 60 fps is the "default" to me. I can play some games at 30 fps but they gotta be a fucking big release like Zelda or Xenoblade for me to accept and even then animation fluidity is just bad anyway.

The only time I had to eat the 30 fps for non-big Nintendo games was when I was building a PC and spent like 2 years with a Ryzen APU due to financial issues and that alone taught me I don't want to ever go back.

So yeah, 60 fps is essential for many people for different reasons, game doesn't look the same at 30 at all.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah I agree. People are too stubborn because they played a game at 30fps. You get used to it in 17 minutes.
Of course there is good and bad fps.

Bad
30fps - gow ragnarok and demos souls remake. It’s unplayable. Huge lag. Perfect framepacing doesn’t help if the lag is huge.

Good - forbidden west, bloodborne, ff16, driveclub… just to name a few. Yeah some framepacing issues in bb that do not bother me. That game is fast and responsive. Ff16 is bitter at 30fps too. Great motion blur. Looks good even on oled
Yup. Devs should drown out the vocal minority gamers that want devs to compromise their vision for 60 fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom