• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the unavoidable digital-only future, what will happen to our physical game libraries?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
There are a lot of benefits, and a lot of setbacks to full digital. I fully expect people to find a solution. Maybe we can reverse engineer and make some of these games physical or have them saved. I dunno, I hope for the best

RagnarokIV

Craig Fairbrass will turn up at your house an teach ya a fucken lesson ya dopey kant. oi oi four eyes who's got these games in a box en mate, ya fizikal gaymes dont mean fuk all in landan tan ya mug kant

Mythoclast

They'll still work...!

Well, okay, if we're talking about more current stuff, there are definitely going to be games that become coasters. But that said, outside of the AAA space, most games still ship in a functional form on the disc. We're not quite at this supposed dystopia yet.
I don’t think it’s necessarily a dystopia, but as we see more AA and AAA games like BG3 and Alan Wake II releasing in digital format only, it’s clear that this is where the industry is slowly heading.

Collector’s Editions will still be made and shipped with a digital code or no code.

Robb

Gold Member
They’ll become rare and those of us who bought physical copies will be laughing all the way to the bank.
vince mcmahon wwe GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Or will there be a way to one-time redeem our discs for a digital license of the game.
Never going to happen. Like it or not, your physical copy of the game you bought is worth less to them than them giving you a digital copy. They're hoping that you'll double-dip in these cases. They also have strict licensing contracts with third parties that would prevent them from just giving away a digital copy of that company's game for free.

If it was in their best interests to set up a program like this, you better believe they would have done it already.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wait, is this not how it works right now?
OP is saying he wants to like ship his disc to Sony, so that Sony can add a digital copy of Final Fantasy XVI to his PSN account.

They'll still work...!

Well, okay, if we're talking about more current stuff, there are definitely going to be games that become coasters. But that said, outside of the AAA space, most games still ship in a functional form on the disc. We're not quite at this supposed dystopia yet.

There'd be nothing stopping you from playing the game on the current gen consoles. Provided that the patch updates are still available (and/or you are okay with playing 1.0)

I mean that's how it was.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Fun fact the digital encroachment actually has been rolling back so far this year physical media isn't going anywhere no matter much digital only lazy corporate pawns salivate at the idea of less options and more corporate control

Fun fact the digital encroachment actually has been rolling back so far this year physical media isn't going anywhere no matter much digital only lazy corporate pawns salivate at the idea of less options and more corporate control

Certainly doesn't seem like it. Switch 2 is probably the last new console gen with a physical media slot.

Keep your old console(s) to play the library of physical games you've collected as you shouldn't expect console manufacturers to provide BC in perpetuity with their new offerings.
As for me, I'd be ecstatic if Switch 2 would be able to play my current Switch carts lol.

TrebleShot

Bin then land fill probably eventually burnt and lending to more harmful
Chemicals in the atmosphere.

Will go the same way as DVD and Blu Ray and CD gaming is not immune to it.

Collecting plastic is a waste of time.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don’t think it’s necessarily a dystopia, but as we see more AA and AAA games like BG3 and Alan Wake II releasing in digital format only, it’s clear that this is where the industry is slowly heading.

Collector’s Editions will still be made and shipped with a digital code or no code.

Yeah, though I do wonder if the whole limited physical print run thing has legs and will be enough to largely prop up the industry's physical releases in 5-10 years' time.

That said, I am super glad that GOG is around for DRM-free releases of stuff like Baldur's Gate 3. That's the lone situation where I find digital copies preferable, because you get the convenience and the functional ownership (and yes, people, I know what the legalese says about it - not worth dredging that up again).

Laieon

Will go the same way as DVD and Blu Ray and CD gaming is not immune to it.

The difference being that for movies, Blu Ray (potentially) and definitely UHD disks are going to offer better sound, picture, and arguably convenience when compared to streaming. I'm all in on digital games now, but I've started to invest pretty heavily in a physical movie library at this point. I just got tired of having to figure out what is streaming where and when due to streaming feeling more like cable TV now. That's not really the same situation with games, since Xbox has it's storefront, Sony has theirs, Nintendo has its own, and most people on PC are going to be utilizing Steam (or getting codes from elsewhere and then entering them on Steam).

UHD is definitely pricey and pretty niche, but these boutique companies definitely know what they're doing.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Certainly doesn't seem like it. Switch 2 is probably the last new console gen with a physical media slot.
What are you basing that on? The 300 million physical games sold last year at retail, the 100s of million of used games sold between people annually? The dismal sales of the ps5de vs the disk, the series s being dropped by consumers like a hot potato as soon as the series x became available?
The pc only went all digital because anti piracy measures become so onerous that digital became less intrusive, and now its funny as anti piracy measures are getting just as bad again
consoles don't have that problem
Don't be a corporate boot lick, embrace options physical won't take your precious digital away and it even helps lower prices

Goalus

The difference being that for movies, Blu Ray (potentially) and definitely UHD disks are going to offer better sound, picture, and arguably convenience when compared to streaming. I'm all in on digital games now, but I've started to invest pretty heavily in a physical movie library at this point. I just got tired of having to figure out what is streaming where and when due to streaming feeling more like cable TV now. That's not really the same situation with games, since Xbox has it's storefront, Sony has theirs, Nintendo has its own, and most people on PC are going to be utilizing Steam (or getting codes from elsewhere and then entering them on Steam).

UHD is definitely pricey and pretty niche, but these boutique companies definitely know what they're doing.
Another difference between games and movies is that movies do not require a server in order to function, and they don't receive patches.

So ironically it makes a lot more sense to buy movies/TV shows on disc than video games.

TrebleShot

What are you basing that on? The 300 million physical games sold last year at retail, the 100s of million of used games sold between people annually? The dismal sales of the ps5de vs the disk, the series s being dropped by consumers like a hot potato as soon as the series x became available?
The pc only went all digital because anti piracy measures become so onerous that digital became less intrusive, and now its funny as anti piracy measures are getting just as bad again
consoles don't have that problem
Don't be a corporate boot lick, embrace options physical won't take your precious digital away and it even helps lower prices
I remember the exact same argument for the compact disc better quality , charts show people buying them more than those pesky iTunes downloads which were crappy quality and you don’t own them!

Look where we are now.

It’s coming , you can’t fight it, you can’t run from it , it is inevitable.

You can of course still buy CDs but it’s a throwback and ease of access cost and barrier to entry will always be king.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't think ps6 will have a disc drive... sadly. Very sadly.
I like to own a game and not have it connected to fragile account that is easy to be hacked, banned or whatever because I said "fuck your mom" in an on-line game.
I have the game on my shelf, it works off-line, I can play 1.0 if I want, I can get hacked. no matter. And it's cheaper.

What will happen to discs?
The same thing that happened to vhs and dvds and audio cds.... nothing. But sure as hell it will be impractical to take out old console to play old games without next gen patches.
I am really thinking about this more and more lately.

Last edited:
I give it another two generations until we're in a fully digital gaming world. Xbox's game pass made people much more open to the idea.

At least there's GoG, who provide DRM-free digital PC games. If only they'd get all the games Steam got.

I will stop buying new games, and begin the backlog battle for the rest of my days. If I run out of games, I'll replay my favorites. Fuck the digital future, they won't get my money.
I feel similarly, but I have to ask: Do you not buy indies as well? Me? I buy indies digitally when there's no physical, and I buy a few digital AAA games on sale now and then. But yeah, if physical goes away I know I'll start saving a ton of money with this hobby.

Sony's numbers on % digital and Gamepass.

I've definitely noticed that retailer markdowns are a lot rarer now because of the low supply. Getting deals is a lot harder than it used to be.

Power Pro

I feel similarly, but I have to ask: Do you not buy indies as well? Me? I buy indies digitally when there's no physical, and I buy a few digital AAA games on sale now and then. But yeah, if physical goes away I know I'll start saving a ton of money with this hobby.
I do, but even those I typically get physically on Switch. Been playing Binding of Isaac like crazy recently for example, but that's because I found a physical copy that had all the DLC. Also just recently imported a copy of all 3 Blaster Master Zero games from Japan, so even indies often have avenues for physical versions if they're worthwhile.

Seems like next gen will be digital as standard. I could maybe see Sony selling a plug in external disc drive for playing PS4/PS5 games but PS6 games will probably need to be bought digitally.

You won’t get a free digital copy of any physical games you own. Discs will all end up in landfill.

There is no point in physical games unlike music CDs/vinyl or Blu-ray. Best thing to do is prepare for the digital future. I haven’t bought a physical game on PlayStation or Xbox for 10 years or 18 years on PC. I do have some Switch cartridges but have largely moved to digital.

People who say they won’t buy digital games are either lying or don’t really care about games. If you enjoy video games you shouldn’t really care about buying digitally. It’s the way forward for the industry and honestly it should’ve happened 10-15 years ago but too many people are stubborn. It will eventually happen though and you’ll need to either accept it or quit.

DragonNCM

I got rid off my all disks like 10 years a go.
In one point I had something like 1300+ discs from games, music & movies.
All is backed up from music & movies on HD & games are sold. What a relief.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I give it another two generations until we're in a fully digital gaming world. Xbox's game pass made people much more open to the idea.

At least there's GoG, who provide DRM-free digital PC games. If only they'd get all the games Steam got.
I am still sure gp will lead to destruction of gaming through devaluation of this industry

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ripping mine on a pc will work for me. I will go pc only at that point.

Youre gonna rip PS5/6 games to your PC.
Im guessing using FTP on an exploited PS5/6 or testkit(lol), as if it matters as PS5/6 emulation is many many many years away....hell youll likely be dead by the time its anywhere near stable.

simpatico

A lot of PC gamers have been digital only for a decade now. It happened so fast and Steam did it so well that the landing was fine. I've been buying retro hardware and games on the side, so I understand. For me anything starting at PS360 you're just better off on digital. The installs and patches kill it for a lot of games. I just moved a few months ago and I'm happy I didn't have a case for each of my 700 Steam games. If I was accruing a collection that big on consoles I would be a little more nervous about it. SNES and PS2 I really prefer original hardware and CRTs, so that can never go digital.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I don't mind digital on PC as Steam is great.

Digital on consoles just feels wrong, and I don't think you can trust sony, ms, or nintendo because they don't care since they have complete control of the platform. It's the same reason apple products are a no-go.

sachos

Do you think our physical discs will become no more than cup coasters? Or will there be a way to one-time redeem our discs for a digital license of the game. This is, of course, assuming future consoles will be backwards-compatible, which seems to be the trend.
I mean if the game has a good physical release then it should work just fine even if the entire console servers burn down or the internet exploded, you would still be able to install & play them offline.
But i guess your question is more about using your discs in future non disc drive consoles. In that case if they do enable some way to redeem the disc for a digital license i wonder if that would somehow fuck up its usability as a traditional disc in different consoles other than yours. Isnt that what Xbox wanted to do with the Xbox One? It would SUCK if that happened.

Last edited:

LRKD

Do you think our physical discs will become no more than cup coasters? Or will there be a way to one-time redeem our discs for a digital license of the game. This is, of course, assuming future consoles will be backwards-compatible, which seems to be the trend.

Companies don't even always transfer the digital licensees you have now forward, see like Nintendo and having to rebuy roms you owned on the wii on the 3DS. Bought it on both platforms and now want to play it on switch, LMAO fuck off and subscribe to our online service. Or Sony and the PlayStation classic games, bought it on the psp/ps3? Too bad buy the new version, sub to our service, or go to hell. No way will they ever help you out with physical licenses when they don't even help with digital ones lol, your shit outa luck there.

Not that it matters, yeah EVENETUALLY your disc will be worthless, but if it's taken care of well i could easily see most videogames out living our lifetimes, only disc rot that i've seen was from idiots who use their games as coasters for their drinks. Treat 'em nice and they'll likely out live you.

Plus it's so easy to mod most hardware now to play digital back ups on the real hardware it doesn't matter anyways when your games may eventually go out, you'll easily be able to continue playing them on most classic hardware with simple software mods, or easy diy mod chips. Plus emulation keeps getting closer and closer to machine accurate as well. I really think physical doom posters are just coping with the fact that they're getting scammed hard with their digital purchases.
I mean if the game has a good physical release then it should work just fine even if the entire console servers burn down or the internet exploded, you would still be able to install & play them offline.
If they do enable some way to redeem the disc for a digital license i wonder if that would somehow fuck up its usability as a traditional disc in different consoles other than yours. Isnt that what Xbox wanted to do with the Xbox One? It would SUCK if that happened.
I think in this hypothetical it's closer to how Sony did the "umd passport" in Japan. Still lame we don't get the dvd/bluray treatment where you get a physical and digital copy with a single purchase. The only time I've ever seen it happen in gaming was with a collector's edition or two, should honestly be standard feature, but maybe in the future when physical copies are 100% only for collectors it'll become the standard.
umdpassport.jpg

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I don't mind digital on PC as Steam is great.
Did you play PC games before Steam existed?

This is completely my take on your statement, it isn't an indictment of any kind, its just the first thing I thought of when I read that post.

What I inferred from reading your comment (may be completely wrong).
1) You got into PC gaming after Steam was the dominate form of game acquisition.
2) You like that you can activate keys on Steam that you have acquired from other sites/means.

Top Bottom