• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the unavoidable digital-only future, what will happen to our physical game libraries?

Virex

Banned
Disc rot probably.

the physical versions people are fighting for now contain unfinished games, some assets or just a key, gone are the days when games shipped complete.
My Depeche Mode cds from the 80s all still work perfectly fine

Im more worried about my digital library than my huge discs/cartridge collection...

I still buy discs even on ps5. And i will never stop.
I only buy digital games that i don't like THAT much, always online or those that wasn't released on disc.

If they fucked us with cmos, and derivated issues to play discs, well, hackers will find a way to jailbreak and play the discs, i can't say the same about the digitals, its all about preservation in this case.

Digital = Play and discard...(Majority, rare cases like me that REALLY CARES about digital too)

Discs = True Videogames passion!

Last edited:

Duellist

I hate this digital shit and I hate being forced into it in some cases. Not being able to buy Baldurs Gate 3 on disk and fucking Diablo 4 shipping physical copies with a fucking download code inside pisses me off. I don’t mind getting smaller games and indies digitally but big time games? Fuck that

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They will become useless. That's really the one downside I see with physical games, that once consoles stop supporting them your library is stuck on an older console. Of course, they could also decide to go with a very different architecture that's not compatible (like they did from PS3 to PS4), and in that case it won't matter anyway.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I thought we were talking about games, my music CDs aren’t going anywhere.
He was talking about disc rot. And I simply said my Depeche Mode cds from the 80s are still working perfectly fine. So are all my boxes pc games and PS1 and Saturn games. They haven't rotted away

K' Dash

He was talking about disc rot. And I simply said my Depeche Mode cds from the 80s are still working perfectly fine. So are all my boxes pc games and PS1 and Saturn games. They haven't rotted away
it will happen, disc rot is inevitable as far as I know.

Between disk rot and not actually owning the games but licensing them, I found there’s no reason to have a physical collection of recent games.

I’m sticking with carts and hue cards. I’ll let the awesome game archivists take care of preservation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom