• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie game dev has meltdown on Twitter because a Steam customer has expectations that the product they bought should function correctly

Fuz

Banned
7sd7ye.jpg

Puscifer

If you can’t support it then don’t sell it. That simple. Also: indie game devs really exposed themselves to be narcissist cunts on Twitter in a way that few other professions did (also: journalists).
Phil Fish alone did some serious damage to the indie scene. I never wanted to buy an indie game after the way he behaved and acted he was superior to literally everyone else including Japanese developers who have a back catalog that on a bad day eclipse Fez on its best

Last edited:

Gorgon

Steam has a list of requirements for games, right? As long as that is clearly stated then he doesn't have any obligation to further support the game beyond the original requirements. If it's not clear what hardware/software the game requires and he doesn't support it anymore, than it's on the dev: don't sell it.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Totally understand this guy’s private thoughts, probably shouldn’t have made them public. There’s an endless supply of whiny dorks who will whine, you have to just put on your customer service face as a dev or ignore them.
It wouldn't hurt him to not be an utter embarrassment, and to have his effemine friends show up to loudly scream about how 'gamers' are bozos, morons, etc. Is there a reason why this was needed to be made public, or is this some zoomer shit that I'm just not across?

Mozzarella

It wouldn't hurt him to not be an utter embarrassment, and to have his effemine friends show up to loudly scream about how 'gamers' are bozos, morons, etc. Is there a reason why this was needed to be made public, or is this some zoomer shit that I'm just not across?
A lot of western devs are like this, a lot of them are rude to their customers, meanwhile a Japanese dev will literally bow and tell you im sorry i hope you enjoy our game, the western dev will give you the middle finger and tell you buy it or fuck off. lol. (Obviously im generalizing)

Wildebeest

Selling broken software for a dollar just so he can belittle people who buy games that cheap and call them "little buddy"? Why does this guy want to get a reputation as another salty dude who uploads shitware on steam? Just take it off and make it freely downloadable somewhere if you don't care about the few cents you are making from it.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
A lot of western devs are like this, a lot of them are rude to their customers, meanwhile a Japanese dev will literally bow and tell you im sorry i hope you enjoy our game, the western dev will give you the middle finger and tell you buy it or fuck off. lol. (Obviously im generalizing)
I don't think anyone should be bowing and scraping when being abused and insulted by one of their customers, but also, openly mocking someone who has a legitimate issue - if even if it's something HE doesn't care about, in broken achievements - is utterly pathetic. And having imbeciles like Mitch Dyer show up to radiate that simpering, frightened, beta nerd energy just makes the whole thing embarrassing. And that's before you get to the fact that their wear pronouns like fucking swastikas.

MiguelItUp

Failing that, get a handler. It feels like some devs could sure use one.
Honestly it's why so many studios have a well experienced community team. They're the ones that talk with players, no one else on the team, haha.

When it's a 1 person team, you should know better. Cause in some cases not responding is much better than responding at all. Guess this guy woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or he's just kind of a dick, lol.

I think he took the person’s very harsh review as a personal attack, which makes sense to me that he would feel that way when he’s invested so much time into creating something and someone is publicly lying telling people it doesn’t run and not to buy it when apparently it was just a broken a broken achievement. He should have just laughed at the ridiculousness of some random kid’s opinion, responded publicly very politely addressing the issue, and boom that’s an easy win for him. Instead, he played into this person’s negativity and came across as a prick, really own-goaled himself.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
With the dev in this instance if the product is labelled as being unsupported.

Also refunding a 99c game... be still my heart!

With the dev in this instance if the product is labelled as being unsupported.

Also refunding a 99c game... be still my heart!
No it wasn't. In fact that was the issue is that the game has no disclaimer that it might not support newer hardware or there's issues with the achievements.

ZoukGalaxy

He's an asshole: if he doesn't want to support anymore, that's ok, but in this case put at least a disclaimer in description to warn people and don't try to fight legitimate users comments warning about a game that may not work with recent hardware.
As ridiculous is the price, that's not a donation, people buy a product and should not be scammed if the product doesn't work. That's a store, not a charity.

He should just
Boombox Shut Up GIF

instead of make it a pathetic public drama crusade.

Damn he's really hot though.
clint eastwood kids GIF

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No it wasn't. In fact that was the issue is that the game has no disclaimer that it might not support newer hardware or there's issues with the achievements.

That's a bit iffy then, but objectively... I really couldn't give a toss either way really.

Here's the thing though; how much of your time would you consider worth charging $1 for? And how would you feel about somebody yanking your chain about it 6 years after the fact?

There are too many gamers who think every dev is Richie Rich swanning about in luxury, when the reality is that they often find themselves working for months for an end result that earns them less than minimum wage.

If you harangued somebody flipping burgers you'd be unsurprised if they curtly told you to go suck a dick!

The moral of the story being don't expect micro-indie devs caring enough about your custom to always be "nice".

Last edited:
Top Bottom