• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie game dev has meltdown on Twitter because a Steam customer has expectations that the product they bought should function correctly

Luigi Mario

This dev has a long way to go if he wants to dethrone Mr Fish.

woHka10.png
It still baffles me how this guy used to have a career, even though he only worked on two indie games and neither of them were good.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

Whiny Internet Child wrote:
ImbBBh1.png

Yep, one of the first things a half-way competent developer learns is just because it runs on your own machine, there's a good chance it won't run on someone else's for various reasons and it's your job to account for that.

This guy also appears to need some serious therapy.

Mobilemofo

I understand why a small dev would drop support on a tiny game after several years. But if they are still letting the game be sold that is not fair to the consumer in any respect. Ending support at some point is fine, but not if you keep selling new licenses for the software.
If the game is functional, when it's sold, then why delist it? Put a notice on the game page stating that the support for this game stopped on ( insert date/year here). Easy.

Pejo

After losing a few braincells reading all of that, I can say:

• The guy has a right to post that something doesn't work in the game on the game's forum.
  • The dev has a right to ignore it
  • Both people then proceed to act like little pissy pants babies about something inconsequential
  • That is all the attention I'm giving this topic.

Phil Fish alone did some serious damage to the indie scene. I never wanted to buy an indie game after the way he behaved and acted he was superior to literally everyone else including Japanese developers who have a back catalog that on a bad day eclipse Fez on its best
I dunno about that. I fucking despise Phil Fish's guts as much as the next person, but to say he stained the whole indie scene is a bit of a stretch. Sure, he was practically the face of The Indie Movie, but I personally never stopping buying indie games and I've gotten the most enjoyment out of indies games in the past decade.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
ImbBBh1.png

Yep, one of the first things a half-way competent developer learns is just because it runs on your own machine, there's a good chance it won't run on someone else's for various reasons and it's your job to account for that.

To a certain extent.. you can’t possibly account for everyone’s shitty bloated, 5 years of updates and installed mixed system files. On pc there is no such thing as 100% compatibility.

ZoukGalaxy

What actually happened to that guy, did he make another game?
From Wikipedia:

"Following an online argument and doxxing, Fish publicly announced his exit from game development twice over the next two years, citing long-term mistreatment by the industry. Polytron later published the 2015 Panoramical, and Fish returned with Kokoromi to release SuperHyperCube in 2016."

Crayon

Funny but the way ERA hates valve including a bunch of fake ass verified developers on there gives me pause on this kind of whining.

This is dumb on many levels. Why argue with the customer for this, I mean if the game does not work for some devices list them and tell them about it, also if it is old and won't support it then remove it, this is more If the little money it generates is nothing, then why fight this stupid fight?

It seems someone does not know thing business works.

PakiChilli

Banned
Had a good laugh, pretty funny.

If I paid a dollar, I'd think I got my money worth just with the dev reply. Don't feel he is being that serious. Both having a laugh

there are a lot of games that dont function correct on steam, steam has to have better curation and stop allowing tons of garbage like they have the last few years.

ShadowNate

Never a good idea to antagonize a customer, no matter how much of a jerk they're being (which in this case wasn't that much to begin with).

There's a reason why companies with a community manager worth their dime don't resort to replies "You paid $1 what did you expect after half a decade?" and consequently doubling down and become increasingly more petty and unhinged.

There's a polite, non passive aggresive way to deal with this, probably there's a template even. Or ignore it altogether if you've moved on past caring for the sales of your old $1 game.

These guys would never survive B2B software. Stupid shit like that is a weekly occurrence. Customer threatening to cancel, executives breathing down your neck expecting you to violate the laws of time and space to build a feature no one cares about but that he thought of in the shower and now thinks is the key to 2x sales velocity.

And if you don't deliver on time you're fired.

Suck it up, Joe, you pathetic manchild.

ReBurn

Gold Member
ImbBBh1.png

It takes some developers longer than others to learn that lesson.

"I'm sorry that our game isn't working for you. We have stopped support on this title, and we acknowledge that newer hardware might not work anymore. The title remains available to purchase at a sizable discount, for the purposes of game preservation and for those with compatible hardware. For anyone who does purchase the game and finds they're not able to play it, we encourage those players to refund their purchase. Thank you for taking an interest in our game."

How hard would that have been? Instead we get a stupid self-righteous meltdown in a series of tweets. No, you shouldn't have to support your game anymore. No, you shouldn't be acting like a jackass about it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m trying to figure out what new tech arrived that stopped the game from working?

Outside of Windows 11 causing an issue, I can’t think of anything. Six years is nothing in PC gaming.

He's a jerk face, but he's also right. At a dollar fitty or whatever, does the buyer really have the right to complain? I think that dude should have just taken the message and just ignored it instead of puffing up about it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If he put as much effort in coding as he does on twittering he'd be the Da Vinci of gaming.
LOL!

To be fair, expecting an old $1.50 Indie game to work like magic with full team support is out of scope. But leave it to unstable kooks reacting emotionally on social media. lol

All the guy has to say is there's no resources to support their old game and they've moved on. If a big company has run it's course repairing something because it's too old and there's no more parts made anymore, you dont have CSR going on Twitter bashing back. You just respectfully tell it like it is and move on.

Last edited:

lyan

If you’re still selling it then it should still work otherwise point out it may not. Dev has a shit attitude.
Well thing is the game works, just not the achievements apparently. Still best he should do is ignore the comments.

DeVeAn

Well thing is the game works, just not the achievements apparently. Still best he should do is ignore the comments.
Still, something broke. Just be transparent. Yeah it’s pittance. He should have ignored it as you say or add a disclaimer since he seems to be ok accepting money for it still.

Sophist

His tweets are more comedic than anything; I see no serious rant here. If I had a twitter account I would have followed him.

Neolombax

I feel like both of them were in it for the laughs. Could have worded it better, but hey what do I know? I dont develop VR games for a dollar.

Sounds like both were being idiots intentionally to troll one another.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Totally understand this guy’s private thoughts, probably shouldn’t have made them public. There’s an endless supply of whiny dorks who will whine, you have to just put on your customer service face as a dev or ignore them.
Same. Developing software is complicated, I think he's completely right in what he said, but business is business, he shouldn't be responding if he's not suggesting any solution or excuse considering the hardware or was released for changed too much (totally not his fault, can assure).

The tweet in response was on point, he should stfo and at least put a warning in the steam page.

Also, I get even AAA games are broken on steam after many years sometimes on summer specific setups, but the publishers just stfo when they get complaints in those cases for a reason.

He's right in everything he says, problems are he says it, where he says it and how he says it.

What's more stupid imo is how he refused to delist the game for "preservation" reasons. What? Lmao.

Red5

I agree with the dev in principle. A single dev shouldn't be expected to patch a 99 cent six year old game for brand new hardware. He should have not even responded to this dude though. Just ghost him, stooping to his level makes you look like an ass too.

That's how I see it too, if I were him I wouldn't bother responding.

skit_data

I mean it not functioning correctly wasn't a huge issue IMO, but the way the developer handles it makes me think he can kiss several careers good bye.

Drizzlehell

Banned
They both sound like whiners. Just lock the thread, ban the idiot and move on instead of spending so much time bitching about it on Twitter.

The fuck happened with people just getting over things? I would probably just ignore the whole thing in his shoes because I'm too lazy to deal with shit like that and no one would care anyway, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom