• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie game dev has meltdown on Twitter because a Steam customer has expectations that the product they bought should function correctly

Brigandier

He/him twitter clown

200.gif

Devs move on, at least once the game barely sells anything. Indie or AAA are the same in that.
But that dev just went about it very stupid. If he is still Indie it bites him in the ass, people stumble over his past and this, the same problem if he is employed somewhere. Dude treated his customer like a spoiled entitled child while being himself one.

Sakura

If he plans on continuing to make games, then his attitude is rather baffling.
If not then, well he is still kind of an ass, but whatever. Personally in that case I woulda just said, sorry man but I'm no working on this, feel free to refund it and I will add a disclaimer on the product page.

Fbh

"I'm sorry you are having troubles with the game. While it should work on paper, please understand that given the wide variety of hardware configurations, including new devices that didn't exist when this game was made, unexpected problems might show up. As a small indie dev it's not possible for me to guarantee 100% compatibility on a 6 years old game.
Based on your feedback I'll put a notice in the description to warn future buyers.
Please feel free to request a refund".

Seriously it's not that hard. I swear half of these people would need extensive therapy after 1 week on some basic retail job

Rykan

"I'm sorry you are having troubles with the game. While it should work on paper, please understand that given the wide variety of hardware configurations, including new devices that didn't exist when this game was made, unexpected problems might show up. As a small indie dev it's not possible for me to guarantee 100% compatibility on a 6 years old game.
Based on your feedback I'll put a notice in the description to warn future buyers.
Please feel free to request a refund".

Seriously it's not that hard. I swear half of these people would need extensive therapy after 1 week on some basic retail job
It's a 1.50$ game. You really think anyone is going to write such self degrading shit over a 1.50$ game they made 6 years ago? Why should the dev be humble and self loathing when the customer is being just as much of a jerk?

The “customer” didn't write a forum post asking if something is wrong with the game or if it could be fixed. He straight up made a forum post, saying: “Do not buy, does not work, dev doesn't care”, which apparently wasn't true as it appears to just be an error with an achievement. He got exactly the type of response he deserved.

Last edited:

knguyen

It's a 1.50$ game. You really think anyone is going to write such self degrading shit over a 1.50$ game they made 6 years ago? Why should the dev be humble and self loathing when the customer is being just as much of a jerk?

The “customer” didn't write a forum post asking if something is wrong with the game or if it could be fixed. He straight up made a forum post, saying: “Do not buy, does not work, dev doesn't care”, which apparently wasn't true as it appears to just be an error with an achievement. He got exactly the type of response he deserved.
It's one He/him vs another He/him.

Shut0wen

I hope that his game gets delisted from steam and that he is barred from making future steam games. Off to epic games store or game pass with you, whiney millenial.
Dont get me wrong indie dev is pure cringe, but he has a point about the game being 6 years old, game probs costed 99p

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Phil Fish alone did some serious damage to the indie scene. I never wanted to buy an indie game after the way he behaved and acted he was superior to literally everyone else including Japanese developers who have a back catalog that on a bad day eclipse Fez on its best
Same here. I wanted a refund for Fez after his stint in the spotlight. A lot of the times, the indie scene is based off or is a clone of a Japanese developed video game.

If you're gonna charge money for a product, the product should function properly, doesn't matter what the cost is. Any amateur programmer can throw together a $1.50 cash grab game, just don't get all buttblasted when someone calls you out for it.

On another note I'm 75 hours into version 1.0 of TotK (won't update because I want access to the duplication exploit if I need it) and I have yet to encounter a single bug.

Sounds like this LAZYDEV just needs to...git gud.

Reactions: Fuz

Red5

If you're gonna charge money for a product, the product should function properly, doesn't matter what the cost is. Any amateur programmer can throw together a $1.50 cash grab game, just don't get all buttblasted when someone calls you out for it.

On another note I'm 75 hours into version 1.0 of TotK (won't update because I want access to the duplication exploit if I need it) and I have yet to encounter a single bug.

The game works tho, the complaint is about a single achievement. The developer probably ran the numbers and came to the conclusion that it's just not cost effective to fix it. A lot of AAA games get sunset all the time with tons of bugs left.

He just doesn't want to do it.He sucks at PR tho.

Umbasaborne

Banned
It wouldn't hurt him to not be an utter embarrassment, and to have his effemine friends show up to loudly scream about how 'gamers' are bozos, morons, etc. Is there a reason why this was needed to be made public, or is this some zoomer shit that I'm just not across?
Yep, he’s one of many game creators and games writers who have nothing but contempt for their audience

Rykan

Those 1.50$ worked fine, though. And he gladly took them.
Should we also normalize karens screaming at Mcdonald's employees because her burger didn't have enough pickles? Because that's the price range we're talking about here.

What? “Doesn't matter what the cost is!" actually yes. Yes it does matter.

When you purchase a game, you can reasonably expect it to work on the hardware that the game was developed for or as listed on the storefront. You are not, in any way, shape or form entitled to forward compatibility with future devices for a 1.50$ game.

With that said, your comparison to ToTK is amazing. It legit makes this one of the funniest, completely out of touch with reality posts that I have ever seen. The sentence itself.

"I've played a lot of TOTK and I have yet to encounter a single bug. But I'm running it at version 1.0 so that I can abuse a bug".

Incredible. But never mind the almost unimaginable differences in development scale and budget between totk and this indie game, or the fact that totk is 70$ and this is 1.50$: The fact that you use a NINTENDO game out of all to make your point is the icing on the cake.

Can I use my Wiiu games on my Switch? You know, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Mario Bros, etc? What? I can't? Shame.
Oh but I can pay another 60$ to play them on Switch.
What about 3DS games? No?

Well at least I can have access to all the virtual console games I've purchased on Wii and Wiiu on my Switch right? Oh I can't do that either? Instead, I have to pay for a subscription which gives me access to only a small part of the games I've paid for?

But let's put this indie game on blast because his 1.50$ game has an achievement bug in it if you play it on hardware that was released long after the game came out. Remember: You paid 1.50$ for this 6 year old game. You don't need to be civil about this.

Last edited:
This is one of those prime examples of When Having Social Media Goes Wrong. This is the kind of embarrassing, cunty meltdown you have in your car after work or some shit, the type of rant you come to your senses after and want to smack yourself for being such a douche.

But when you have a platform to scream it into the world at your fingertips 24/7...

Should we also normalize karens screaming at Mcdonald's employees because her burger didn't have enough pickles? Because that's the price range we're talking about here.

When you purchase a game, you can reasonably expect it to work on the hardware that the game was developed for or as listed on the storefront. You are not, in any way, shape or form entitled to forward compatibility with future devices for a 1.50$ game.

With that said, your comparison to ToTK is amazing. It legit makes this one of the funniest, completely out of touch with reality posts that I have ever seen. The sentence itself.

"I've played a lot of TOTK and I have yet to encounter a single bug. But I'm running it at version 1.0 so that I can abuse a bug".

Incredible. But never mind the almost unimaginable differences in development scale and budget between totk and this indie game, or the fact that totk is 70$ and this is 1.50$: The fact that you use a NINTENDO game out of all to make your point is the icing on the cake.

Can I use my Wiiu games on my Switch? You know, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Mario Bros, etc? What? I can't? Shame.

Well at least I can have access to all the virtual console games I've purchased on Wii and Wiiu on my Switch right? Oh I can't do that either? Instead, I have to pay for a subscription which gives me access to only a small part of the games I've paid for?

But let's put this indie game on blast because his 1.50$ game has an achievement bug in it if you play it on hardware that was released long after the game came out. Remember: You paid 1.50$ for this 6 year old game. You don't need to be civil about this.
Nice blog post, didn't read. Point stands: don't keep broken games listed. Stealing $1.50 is still stealing.

Shubh_C63

The game works tho, the complaint is about a single achievement. The developer probably ran the numbers and came to the conclusion that it's just not cost effective to fix it. A lot of AAA games get sunset all the time with tons of bugs left.

He just doesn't want to do it.He sucks at PR tho.
Yup. You can't get platinum in Mad Max anymore and devs dropped the support really really early in it's life. They are just mute about it if people call them out.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
  • I can understand the developer; He isn't obliged to keep on supporting an older title of his, especially when that would say so in the agreements every player usually skips. Its on the player to check this.
  • However in this instance i understand the player aswell: There are dozens of titles out there that are far older yet work fine on new OS'es. Perhaps supporting VR peripherals is more difficult to support, but a proper programmer designs their products to be platform-agnostic - that is, they will work either straight-out-of-the-box on unsupported OS's, or have very little modification required in order to do so. Straight up not working is a programmer's sin.
  • But again i can understand the developer because the game actually still works. Its just a achievement that doesn't work, which is at best a bug and not a game breaker. For the plaintiff to then complain that it doesn't work wholesale is both misguided but it is also princess-like behavior.
Then again dev should have just ignored these, especially when it turns out the game just runs fine on complainers end safe for an achievement. That isn't worth getting pissed over.

Users do this all the time. I see people constantly getting pissed at on DoomWorld for the Classic Unity port or GZDoom with complaints that aren't exactly complaint, but just reek of ignorance and misguided arrogance. 5 seconds of searching gives them all the answers but it is easier to say the game's fluked rather than admitting that you were a dumbass to begin with.

ShadowNate

Nah, $1.5 still means "support me", and "buy this game in a legit way", double so when it's an indie game.

The dev also went off from the first (rude review) post in the forum, *before* he knew what the issue was.

When he found out, he continued to engage with the customer and launching into a hissy fit on twitter.

This reflects very bad on him, his attitude towards customers and support of old releases. The rude customer is one in a sea of many, no one will remember him.

The developer handled this in a childish, unprofessional way, when he must have known that was not the only path he could take.

Honestly, the whole thing comes off like "look, my twitter followers, look how I destroyed this rando for being rude to me and my old ass game".

Rykan

Nah, $1.5 still means "support me", and "buy this game in a legit way", double so when it's an indie game.

The dev also went off from the first (rude review) post in the forum, *before* he knew what the issue was.
It is 1.50$! Seriously. Even if we go by the lowest possible minimum wage job in the US, which is like what..7.50$ an hour or something? If you work more than 12 minutes on a job with that salary, you've made more money than the cost of this game.

It doesn't even matter what the issue is: That's just not the way you approach someone. 1.50$ is not a free pass to be a jerk. Especially when you have a very generous refund policy in place.

Edit: Looks like its actually 0.99$? lol

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Firstly, the reviewer is fucking top-shelf Karen and a complete dickhead if he said the game "doesn't run" but the reality was that one achievement didn't work, he overegged it. Telling people not to buy someone's game for something as minor as that is clearly OTT.

On the other hand, the irony is that the developer possibly could have used all the time and energy spent arguing to just.... fix the achievement thing (assuming it was a minor bug?).

Last edited:

ShadowNate

1.50$ is not a free pass to be a jerk.
Well, on that, and that alone, we agree.
It is 1.50$! Seriously. Even if we go by the lowest possible minimum wage job in the US, which is like what..7.50$ an hour or something? If you work more than 12 minutes on a job with that salary, you've made more money than the cost of this game.

Edit: Looks like its actually 0.99$? lol
It's never a good idea to make assumptions on anyone's wage, how much they are comfortable spending and how much $1 is worth to them.

The seller set that price for their game. He doesn't get to judge people for buying it and then nagging for support and come off as being on the right. He comes off as a total jerk.

Last edited:

foerchner

Neo Member
In a recent incident that ignited a heated debate within the gaming community, an indie game developer took to Twitter to express their frustration after a Steam customer voiced concerns about the functionality of their purchased product. The ensuing meltdown sparked a controversy over the expectations consumers have when purchasing indie games.

Last edited:

Griffon

Millenial indie dev doesn't know how to interact with humans and doesn't seem to understand when he should avoid engaging altogether. What a surprise.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Moving on, nothing to see here.

Just the other day I had to spent an hour getting a controller to work on Dead Rising 2. You think Capcom gives a shit?

Don't play old games if you don't want to troubleshoot.

the_master

If you program your software right the first time, then pending any major fuck up your software should be able to work fine years, even decades down the line.
Software will work for the machine you made, if newer machines work differently, your software may not be compatible anymore.

Not about how “well” you code

Red5

Well it he can't support it then fair enough but he should remove it from sale and not act like a whiny b****h when someone who bought it commented it doesn't work

But the game works and from start to finish, the complaint is about a bugged out achievement which can be easily unlocked using Steam Achievement Manager. The whole point is the complaining customer said on the forum that the game doesn't work which is factually untrue.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom