• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [March] Now Voting - Post 329!

SpaceBoy - PC, Mac, Linux
CBL7hVJWQAATlea.jpg

http://www.thisguygames.com/gameSB.html

SpaceBoy is an atmospheric game based on exploration, which continues to unfold as secrets and new environments are discovered. Ironically, for a game visually baked in darkness with mere white outlines guiding the player, SpaceBoy's unfolding roster of in-game charm and visual quirkiness uncovers a colourful and excitingly moody overall atmosphere.
Unlock power-ups and master SpaceBoy's moves and abilities, stumble across friendly and not-so-friendly characters and creatures throughout his adventure through contaminated worlds of rogue viruses and glitches.

Song of Horror - PC, Mac
10830791_1445868305703558_2413295341748402710_o.jpg

http://songofhorror.com/index.html

Song of Horror is an old school inspired, third person survival horror, evocative of the eternal fear of what cannot be understood. Take control of up to 16 characters who have been dragged, throughout time, into a story for which they are not prepared.

Growbot - ????
CBKxTK3WgAEqTG5.jpg

http://growbotgame.tumblr.com

A point n click adventure game
The Greenhouse has been attacked by Crazy (Quasi) Crystal, and Nara, a steward in her second week of training on board the Ventral station must find her crew mates and repair the station before the shield protecting Kew is compromised.

Overlooker - Free (PC)
CBMh5DOU8AAK0ZV.png

http://connorort.itch.io/overlooker

Play as Arianna, a woman lost in a giant building, and escape this Gameboy Color inspired Survival Horror nightma

Chester Unlimited - Free demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
6KGxqs3.png

http://brilliantblueg.com

Change the world around you with your unique Style Changing powers and get your cupcakes back in this retelling of a classic tale. Or something like that.

Mast - Free beta (PC, Mac, Linux)
Xav48KW.png

http://propslam.com/mast/

Mast is a competitive programming sandbox. In Mast, you are tasked with constructing a ship out of a number of parts, teaching it to fight with some code, and sending it to battle against other players' ships. The best designed ships will succeed in battle, while the rest will fail. Whether you're an existing coder looking for somewhere to show off your skills, or a beginner programmer looking for a fun way to practice, Mast has something for you!

REON - ????

Unnamed Game - ????
newenemy.png

No info yet

Previously Mentioned

Crossing Souls

The Great Wizard Tournament

Painter's Guild

The Swindle

titch

Enemy - $14.99 (PC)
ss_89ba9dce8c66d0ddbb440a47086e75abb30af0d6.600x338.jpg
ss_23e6eed968a0c275c43c2ca308b39d5e8590dc08.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339570

The video games you played as a kid, mashed together and remade into a tactical role-playing game. Explore an open world where characters, items, and environments are an eclectic mashup of classic games. Detailed turn-based combat system inspired by the 1994 classic, X-Com. Realistic physics simulation and large, open environments allow for a rich variety of tactical options. Permanent death ensures that combat is always tense.

Dungeon Highway - $6.99 (PC)
ss_2b73fec1c74c03741c380b932701c1b17354b2d2.600x338.jpg
ss_b17bf9e069e63bc4e013981fc53c84a36cad2e6e.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353340

Dungeon Highway drops you into a delightfully stylized fantasy world filled to the brim with dastardly monsters. Heart-pounding action, nostalgic graphics and an enchanting chiptune soundtrack bring a new milestone to the genre of endless arcade racing.

1) Catacomb Kids
2) Dark Echo
3) Reassembly
4) Freaking Meatbags
5) Wings of Vi
6) Hyphen
7) [encrypted]
8) BlazeRush
9) Beyond 35000
10) JET/LAG
11) Strength of the Sword 3

titch

That should be me done for this month!!!!

In no particular order - if it needs to be let me know

[encrypted] - A roguelike adventure inspired by Zaga-33, 868-Hack and the Nightmare Cooperative. Game is in it's early stage but has enough to make you want to see more – whether that happens will only be answered in time.
Bezier - Twin Sticker Shooter with everything hitting the right notes – graphics, audio and presentation all top notch.
Camera Obscura - Initially from a visual perspective the game may put some people off as it does have an old school look to it but the pretty unique photograph your surroundings to create platforms soon has you immersed in finding ways to progress
Eron Another pretty looking pixel art platformer with a phase world twist, it may take time to come to terms with the controls but a small sense of achievement can sometimes make the frustration worthwhile
Greedy Guns - A platform shooter with decent production, a metroidvanian taking it's inspiration from Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug and Contra
JET/LAG - A minimalist roguelike but don't let that deceive you, when a free game like this comes along you got to at least give it a go!!!!
Midboss - Still in beta but even as it stands its worth giving it a go an isometric roguelike. Using a similar mechanic to Paradroid you must level up by possessing other stronger denizens till you kill the endboss
Rock Bottom - Simple platform game in reverse – play it you will see what I mean – worth at least 10m to try and see.
THERE CAME AN ECHO - Slick stylish thriller with excellent usable audio controls
Wings of Vi - If you like hard as nails platformers then you won't go wrong with WoV, tight controls allows the game to challenge you further as the game progresses and that was just the demo.

Still worth checking out

Shutter - They aimed for creepy and didn't miss the mark an atmospheric puzzle adventure that takes inspiration from the early survival games.
DESTINATION SOL - Decent enough space sim shooter for free but devs are looking to drop the project and hand it over to someone else - still worth a look if you like this sort of game.
Ohn0 - Nice basic puzzle game similar but hardly groundbreaking.
Aaru's Awakening - Initially found the controls off-putting will revisit in time but can't recommend it yet.
Slinki! - Was initially in my ten but platformers are ten to a dozen and although the zip line technique to move around is good it needs more polish to get it's head above the competition
The Great Story Of a Mighty Hero - Although the game itself initially seems fun and graphically it does a good job it needs more work, lack of custom controls being a pretty big bugbear. If the dev is willing to give it some more TLC it might be worth revisiting.

There were so many great looking to buy games that i can't afford to buy but i'd be very surprised if some of these would easily make my top ten if i got to play them.

Apotheon
BLACKHOLE
Bunker Blast
CASTLE IN THE DARKNESS
Catacomb Kids
CELL HD: EMERGENCE
Darkest Dungeon
FREAKING MEATBAGS
HECKABOMB
HYPHEN
Oblitus
OSCURA: LOST LIGHT
Reassembly
SOMETIMES SUCCESS REQUIRES SACRIFICE
TERRA LANDER
The Deer God

Just a ridiculous amount of fantastic looking games there.

Have any impressions for Midboss, Rock Bottom, and SLINKI?

Oh, and Toma, Sorcery 3 is coming out next month. The big change in this one is that it's an open world with a day/night cycle rather than a linear adventure.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Oh, and Toma, Sorcery 3 is coming out next month. The big change in this one is that it's an open world with a day/night cycle rather than a linear adventure.

Wow :-o Supposed to be same length?

Wow :-o Supposed to be same length?
Probably longer. Has a bigger scope. Seven bosses and you have to research and locate them. Plus there are two time periods - the present and a thousand years in the past - so you visit part of the map across time

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Probably longer. Has a bigger scope. Seven bosses and you have to research and locate them. Plus there are two time periods - the present and a thousand years in the past - so you visit part of the map across time

Woah, shit. Thanks for the headsup.

titch

Yeah kinda

Midboss has been rebuilt from it's original design that was created from a ludlum if my memory serves me correct, an isometric roguelike with a twist that reminded me of paradroid's robot transfer minigame in the sense thats how you level up by becoming a stronger creature.

Graphically it's satisfactory and the audio is the same, the music plays in the background and doesn't get in the way or grate. Even though in it's beta stage it feels pretty well put together - the levels seem a little bland at the moment and i haven't progressed very far but for anyone thats interested in this type of game it's worth a look even if it's one to keep an eye on to see how things progress.

Rock Bottom is one of those free games that you don't expect too much from but are fun to play for a bit it throws the platform genre on it's head where you have to die to increase your abilities - it's kind of a strange concept and you end up have to figure out ways to die to progress, i've played a hell of a lot worse and for the games i was able to play i'd recommend giving it a go even if it's a short play to progress through a few levels to see if you like it.

Slinki i played back at the start of the month and i like the movement concept which reminded me of what was the upcoming Aruu's awakening - i kinda prefer Slinki as although it definitely doesn't have the graphical polish of Aruu i found Aruu's movement to be more clunky - if i get more time to play other games than Slinki would possibly be the first to drop out drop out - i'd have to play it a lot longer to get an overall opinion on it but i did want to carry on playing it which is never a bad thing.

Destination SOL would probably have taken it's place tbh but i noticed that the dev's have decided they want to hand the project over to someone else which is a shame.

Watched some of the sorcery vid's certainly saw enough to peak my interest i just can't start investing in another platform just now :( or can i lol.....

titch

Vox Populi Vox Dei 2 - $4.99 (WIN)
ss_f47b48a17ae9d84bfed3310cec03564777d649de.600x338.jpg
ss_305e29c2110ca2331b1fa61b398894a9f19ff098.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345120

Your adventure is not over yet, the real enemy has appear. Dr. Wolf has taken your lovely girl and you won't stop until find her. To accomplish your mission you will pass through many difficult challenges putting your own life on risk. Find Part 1 Here

Runestone Keeper - $9.99 (WIN/MAC)
ss_c9673fa538b5c143f839a9e592f79d5cb62a1bf3.600x338.jpg
ss_99e525a5388b564f5d00d22d07a3d2f123d1113f.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339400

Runestone Keeper is a roguelike dungeon crawler that blends classic RPG elements and turn based strategy. Heroes, monsters, equipment, events, magic and skills, traps and devices, shrines and altars, Goddesses and merchants. Choose your weapon and begin an epic adventure!

That sounds interesting, I wonder how much they had to jinx with the original format of the gamebook to get something like that running. Also that reminds me I need to finish S2 sometime soon, my trip through that bloody city has not been pleasant on my character for sure.

Anyway, voting

- Apotheon
- Castle in the Darkness
- Catacomb Kids
- Dark Echo
- Hand of Fate
- Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
- Trash TV
- Hac
- Freaking Meatbags
- Darkest Dungeons

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
Realized I played a few more games than I had thought, so in no particular order:

A Good Snowman is Hard To Build
Charming little game about building snowpeople. Really touched me in a way not many games ever have.

Hand of Fate
I've yet to finish this but I've been super impressed with what I have played. Fantastic merging of genres that makes you wonder why it wasn't done before.

Off-Peak
Bizarre, unsettling narrative adventure. I don't know if I liked it but it was definitely one of the most interesting games I've played in awhile.

Republique Remastered
I've only played the first two episodes so far and I have some issues with it, but the world building and narrative structure have been strong enough to hold it together and keep me interested.

OK, apparently not that many. Next month I'll have to be sure to dig through the OP more.

Pillars of Eternity - $44.99 (Win, Mac, Lin)
ss_fbc3b33088a2ec5e718271a122c370afee8eb4cf.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/

Recapture the deep sense of exploration, the joy of a pulsating adventure, and the thrill of leading your own band of companions across a new fantasy realm and into the depths of monster-infested dungeons in search of lost treasures and ancient mysteries.

So gather your party, venture forth, and embrace adventure as you delve into a realm of wonder, nostalgia, and the excitement of classic RPGs with Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity!

arcanadei

I tried Sorcery, it isn't bad, but I really liked the Fighting Fantasy - Blood of the Zombies better. It brought me back to reading the old books when I was kid much more than Sorcery did.

Phawx

I tried Sorcery, it isn't bad, but I really liked the Fighting Fantasy - Blood of the Zombies better. It brought me back to reading the old books when I was kid much more than Sorcery did.

It's funny, I really enjoy the presentation of Sorcery but it never gripped me.

arcanadei

Yeah, pretty much same here. Try Blood of the Zombies if you were a fan of the old FF books and was hoping Sorcery would bring that experience into the modern times. I really wish they would do a bundle of the FF re-releases, they are great classics but a little overpriced. That new Lone Wolf game was a bit of a disappointment to me too. Still have a lot of the original books. The creator was involved and they turned it into a third person fighter, which I also love. The end result felt a bit lacking though sadly. Partly because I think my reaction times aren't nearly what my character stats reflect. I died a lot even with good rolls. Kind of breaks the magic. Not sure how you can reconcile that really, new territory for gaming.

Demo for Titan Souls has jumped up on steam. Seems okay-ish, moves well but the actual titan fights are a little mediocre in their behavior. Worth having a go on though if you like your top down action games.

Brigador then and now
Game is coming along nicely

I should probably start those thread retrospectives again. They were pretty time consuming, guess I could just highlight the games that are released or haven't made any progress

titch

Overall it's a pretty decent bundle i did enjoy the demo of wings shame i've already got tales and velocibox defo worth getting if you don't own either of those two!!

Crawl is looking pretty special.

Finally got dev confirmation that Vane is still alive and kicking

From TIGSource
Hey guys! We're not dead, turns out we just suck at running a devlog

We've been stuck in a lengthy bizdev slog and demo crunch the past few months, and goddamn if that stuff doesn't take forever. We are beginning to see the light at the end of that tunnel though, and will do a post-mortem of our GDC experience to share our run-ins with moneymen big and small. Matt will also swoop in to do a post (yes, a proper devloggy post) on the camera system he's working on for the game.

Game lives! Honest!
Vane is the game from ex-Last Guardian devs, if you forgot
vane_gif_5.gif

arcanadei

I love the art style of Crawl so much, bought it just because of that. Tried playing it a little, but by myself with bots. It was confusing and not much fun. I know it is really designed for couch multiplayer so I'm sure that is a big factor, but took a few playthroughs just to figure out what was going on and how things work. I'll give it another shot sometime when I get the chance with friends, or if they do add online multiplayer but looks like either of those won't happen soon.

Toma

Hac
This could end up being a pretty cool experiential driving game. Old German car, manual handling of the car (put in keys, turn on lights, fuel car..) changing day time and weather and procedural roads. Pretty neat actually, but the dev is still planning on adding a lot more elements to the mechanics (like changing tires). Recommended to check out, definitely will keep an eye on this.

Hyphen
Fun game, with gameplay similar to "Kuru Kuru Kururin". Challenging courses, but the overall art style makes the game a bit unappealing to me, especially compared to what its copying. Still solid game about moving an ever rotating stick through labyrinths however.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Highly recommended
Castle in the Darkness
Freaking Meatbags
Darkest Dungeon
Catacomb Kids
Aaru's Awakening
Dark Echo

Recommended
Bezier
Frozen Cortex
Hac
Ephemerid
Hyphen
Eron

Decent
Grab Them By The Eyes
Blackhole
[Encrypted]
Bionic Bliss
Beyond 35000
Camera Obscura
Gallergy

Not recommended

Demon Extermination Squad
Bunker Blast

Toma

Busy week, new thread up tonight.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I remember Patrick Klepek streaming an indie Secret of Mana-esque (2d hack and slash with RPG elements) game several month ago and being really impressed by the art. I thought it was Hero Siege, but I can't find find him ever mentioning that game, and I don't remember the stream having wave based progression.

Anyone know wtf game he was playing?

EDIT:

WHOOPS sorry for bumping this thread

Top Bottom