• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [March] Now Voting - Post 329!

Anyone post about this yet?

Witchmarsh - 2015 - Witchmarsh is a co-op Platform RPG set in 1920s Massachusetts. Create a team of custom
Investigators and lead them into the heart of the swampland.

That is some Lovecraft-ass Lovecraft right there. I'm into it.

I remember reading about this during its Kickstarter. I really dig the character and gun-firing animations. The amount of classes they're going for seems ambitious but I'm glad they seem to be taking their time and not rushing it out the door.

Moobabe

This is looking really good! I'll have to remember to follow it!

Thanks man!

Wow, looks great! Mine's probably just going to be one of the standard Wordpress plugins for a while...gotta do content first

Thanks! Yeah I was lucky I had a wealth of content already to move over.

Looks really nice (now I'm wondering if I should have gone with Squarespace for my own site). The only thing that seems off is the archives page for different categories, on which the text seems really odd: http://img.prntscr.com/img?url=http://i.imgur.com/CJ0c6Kh.png

Congrats on starting the site. Will be keeping up with it.

I knew someone would pick up on this! I haven't quite found a way of changing this - Squarespace's text options don't seem to feature a "font size increase" option!

Is anyone else playing Bloodsports.TV - the sort of Krater follow up?

titch

Ok I've done it. I've made my own site. It's not live JUST yet (behind the wall of Square Space anonymity for now)

If you guys want to follow me I'm the iconless Twitter account here - https://twitter.com/permanentbetauk

Thanks chaps!

Edit

Thanks for the follows guys - the website is now LIVE - http://www.permanent-beta.net/

Really liking the new site - keep us posted with updates :) Excellent name choice too!!

Reading your reviews make me want to play the games so if that's your goal consider it achieved!!!

On another note quite a few decent steam games released this week so I will get some added to the thread asap!!!

SerTapTap

Anyone got experience doing OTs? Suggestions? I guess I might end up doing one for Axiom Verge if no one else does.

Witchmarsh sounds great, do we have a release date yet?

SerTapTap

I can definitely do screenshots, less able to do banners. But I'd be worry about spoiling stuff unless I used the generic press images, and if feels a bit weird to do an OT when I have a review copy. Still hoping someone takes it off my hands but it's 11 days away and no one else's come forward.

I can definitely do screenshots, less able to do banners. But I'd be worry about spoiling stuff unless I used the generic press images, and if feels a bit weird to do an OT when I have a review copy. Still hoping someone takes it off my hands but it's 11 days away and no one else's come forward.

See if someone has claimed the rights to do the OT here, and you can ask for help there to make a banner. Also the OT's are now going up on the release day of the game.

Don't see why that's an issue. You're probably better suited than someone else, because you've played the game, so you can answer questions and provide impressions

SerTapTap

Don't see why that's an issue. You're probably better suited than someone else, because you've played the game, so you can answer questions and provide impressions

Yeah, that's true. I'm antsy for assorted reasons but I'm sure I can do it if necessary.

While I'm asking dumb questions, anyone a Steam Curator? Is steam curation, like, relevant? It seems like good advertising if you're TB (I see his recommendations everywhere) but basically irrelevant if you're not the featured curator. Which just seems to always be TB. Or "waifu hunter".

My tastes also seem a bit too diverse for any meaningful curation beyond "these are some cool niche/indie games go play 'em". I guess that's my thing, though

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, Indiethread fellas, time to plow through OP games tonight, tomorrow and lets see how much I can dump into my head.

I'll start with A, as usual, but are there any must-play games this month that you guys found?

Cleaned up the 7DRL post a few pages back. We'll have some good roguelikes for April. My favorite 2015 entries were Synthesizer, Garbage In Garbage Out, and Malleus Goblinficarium

Alright, Indiethread fellas, time to plow through OP games tonight, tomorrow and lets see how much I can dump into my head.

I'll start with A, as usual, but are there any must-play games this month that you guys found?
I really liked [encrypted] and Beyond 35000. Hac is worth checking out. And of course Catacomb Kids

SerTapTap

So do literal end of march games go in April thread or? Axiom Verge is the 31st, as well as Rack n Ruin (I hadn't heard of this but got a review copy--it's simple top down fun so far) and surely more games I'm not thinking of, kind of awkward for monthly things.

So do literal end of march games go in April thread or? Axiom Verge is the 31st, as well as Rack n Ruin (I hadn't heard of this but got a review copy--it's simple top down fun so far) and surely more games I'm not thinking of, kind of awkward for monthly things.
I'd post the end of March games in this thread when they release, so then they can be part of the April OP

titch

At lot of the interesting looking games are on the more expensive side so ive not tried any of them :(

Will be looking to try some of the free/demo ones later too.

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
While I'm asking dumb questions, anyone a Steam Curator? Is steam curation, like, relevant? It seems like good advertising if you're TB (I see his recommendations everywhere) but basically irrelevant if you're not the featured curator. Which just seems to always be TB. Or "waifu hunter".

My tastes also seem a bit too diverse for any meaningful curation beyond "these are some cool niche/indie games go play 'em". I guess that's my thing, though
I have a curator group (with a whopping 65 followers; really gaining on TB), but I don't know if it's really relevant. To me it's just an easy list to point to for cool stuff I've been playing recently, and I guess some people like that too.

Yeah, that's true. I'm antsy for assorted reasons but I'm sure I can do it if necessary.

I had started one but haven't updated it at all. Too much of a time commitment and really doesn't do anything for me. Posting curated lists of games here is a much better use of my time :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Developer of Stranded has posted a different kind of post-mortem.

Today I learned that he made it with Ren'Py. He also claims that Digital was the reason he wanted to get into making games, which, for me, was the reason why I got back into writing. Always glad to see that game hit home for others the way it did for me <3

SerTapTap

Developer of Stranded has posted a different kind of post-mortem.

Today I learned that he made it with Ren'Py. He also claims that Digital was the reason he wanted to get into making games, which, for me, was the reason why I got back into writing. Always glad to see that game hit home for others the way it did for me <3
I was just about to post that! I thought Stranded was interesting but certainly flawed. He covers my major concerns mostly, I get what the slow movement was getting at but IMO it's really unneeded/unhelpful. And the extreme lack of story/development is a bit eh, especially when it's highly possible to dick around for most of 2 of the days and not actually encounter more than a couple interesting things each day. The music stuff was cool but pretty subtle.

The music, art and bits of story that are there are great though. It just leaves a fairly extreme sense of wanting more.

Didn't know it was made in a VN engine.

SerTapTap

Rack N Ruin - (PC, PS4)
RackNRuin_Wizard_ScreenShot_PS4Game_EN.jpg

http://www.lifesparkent.com/index.html

Topdown action adventure with bits of Zelda and bits of shmup. Play as a snarky demon has he corrupts the world. Interconnected world map where you can corrupt areas, filling them with stronger enemies and progressing your evil goals.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
OP impressions:

[Encrypted]
I generally like these games that ask you to explore its mechanics a lot, but I just cant seem to find access to this one. I understand how the basic mechanics work and what you can do, but there isnt much fun for me here to actually explore where these mechanics lead me to. Still super early alpha, though, so depending on release impressions, I might give it another whirl then.

Aaru's Awakening

Pretty competent and challenging platformer. The single mechanics arent exactly "new", but the dev definitely managed to make the game feel fresh and fun, especially once the levels get going and you are constantly on the move, while flinging your teleportation ball around the room. I am getting quite a Rayman vibe from the level design and its super refreshing that the main traversal isnt necessarily about jumping and jumping on enemies heads, but aiming and teleporting into them. Pretty neat dynamic. The only downside I can see atm, is that its relatively short and quite expensive for the playtime, but there is also quite a bit of replay value through time/death medals in each level. Great game, if you see it for cheap or in a bundle, definitely check it out. Highly recommended if you like more challenging platformers.

Beyond 35000
Cool prototype overall and I like the focus on verticality and "gaps" in the city landscapes through which you can maneuver. However, the game doesnt really click with me. Compared to the one stage demo of that outrun style racing game a while ago, I dont have much reason to play it, the controls feel a bit off (on keyboard) , feels a bit sterile content/mechanic wise and it doesnt have much in the way of modes/challenges to play. Its not "bad", but it would need a lot of tweaking for me to enjoy it I think.

Bezier
Arcade game, similar to asteroids,but with power pickups, tons of different enemy types, great gameplay feedback and challenging fun gameplay. I really like this, check out the free demo.

Bionic Bliss

Cool concept. You are a sci-fi call center guy, trying to have satisfying calls with your cyborg customers. Quite fun for a while, but its missing the actual ending or consequences of your actions. This type of game doesnt quite work as "highscore" game, which it sorta is atm.

Blackhole

Pretty standard puzzle platformer around navigating a rotating world. The mechanic works well and they did a good job at making interesting level design, but I cant recommend it considering its on the high end of the price point scale in this thread, which I cant really call justified as it does feel a bit like a one trick pony and doesnt have much variety. Still decently fun though if you can grab it for cheap.

Bunker Blast
Not far enough in development yet. Balancing, basic mechanics and level design are all far too underdeveloped to be interesting. This could be fun eventually, but still needs a lot of work.

Camera Obscura
Cool gameplay mechanic, but unfortunately the level design is incredibly annoying. The main gameplay mechanic revolves around making a picture of your surroundings, moving that with you and then using your old picture as object to climb over other obstacles. So far so good, but since you can control that afterimage (it only exists for a few seconds and placement is very wonky), failure can be very unintuitive and unnecessary painful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Highly recommended
Aaru's Awakening

Recommended
Bezier

Decent
Blackhole
[Encrypted]
Bionic Bliss
Beyond 35000
Camera Obscura

Not recommended
Bunker Blast

Play Castle in the Darkness if you're into that kind of game

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
Stuff I've been playing (which is apparently not in the OP but I swear I saw them posted recently):

David.
There are genuinely novel ideas within David. like it’s interesting use of a slingshot or the asymmetrical boss fights (ala Shadow of the Colossus), but it can’t seem to see them well enough not to go running in the wrong direction. Completing it left me with an empty feeling I couldn’t quite explain, my only guess being sadness that David.’s worst enemy ended up being itself.
Review

Little Party
It’s a weirdly isolating feeling, being around people but simultaneously being excluded because, well, you’re mom and your daughter doesn’t want you around. Little Party doesn’t really have a point to make, and doesn’t go anywhere in the end, but it definitely put me in a role I’d never played before and made me reconsider my own actions toward my mother. To be perfectly honest I feel pretty horrible about a lot of things in retrospect, and now I have a small idea of how my words and actions even when not spiteful, likely affected my mother when she wasn’t doing anything to deserve such a response. Unsurprisingly, it doesn’t feel very good.
Review

Ludovico

Earthtongue looks super interesting and something that I could play around with during my spare time. Just missed it on indie game stand, but it looks like I can get Boot Hill Heroes (Mother 3 aesthetics all over) and Earthtongue and whatever the next offering is for six bucks.

I searched the thread for BHH impressions but didn't see any - could anyone comment on the quality/length of that game, and if $6 is worth it for both?

Toma

Earthtongue looks super interesting and something that I could play around with during my spare time. Just missed it on indie game stand, but it looks like I can get Boot Hill Heroes (Mother 3 aesthetics all over) and Earthtongue and whatever the next offering is for six bucks.

I searched the thread for BHH impressions but didn't see any - could anyone comment on the quality/length of that game, and if $6 is worth it for both?

Never heard of it, but Earthtongue is a very intriguing game in its own right, especially for the 4$ base price or something :) Do post some impressions here if you manage to check it out!

Ludovico

Downloading now!
I was able to donate a percentage to WWF, AND check out with Amazon payments...
I used the site way back when Gnomoria released, and other than that Geneforge is the only other game in my wallet. Might just have to add the game stand to my bookmarks.
And spend money on games I don't have time for ;_;

May report back with impressions!

Toma

Downloading now!
I was able to donate a percentage to WWF, AND check out with Amazon payments...
I used the site way back when Gnomoria released, and other than that Geneforge is the only other game in my wallet. Might just have to add the game stand to my bookmarks.
And spend money on games I don't have time for ;_;

May report back with impressions!

Gnomoria, Geneforge and Earthtongue, hmmm. I get the impression we'll get along splendidly ;)

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
I liked David. It's an IOS port which may be why it feels a bit lacking in depth, but physics and varied bosses and arena mode made up for it IMO. The dev's a cool guy too
I felt like the variety was one of its weaker aspects, since it often focused on things the game doesn't do especially well (any level focused around platforming/maze navigation for instance). Still, I seem to be in the minority in this, so at least other people enjoyed it where I didn't.

SerTapTap

By the way Earthtongue was greenlit, should hit steam before too long, and the big update (more plants, meteor showers, terrain modding) is coming soon too. If you're slightly interested by the premise I highly recommend picking it up.

Toma

I felt like the variety was one of its weaker aspects, since it often focused on things the game doesn't do especially well (any level focused around platforming/maze navigation for instance). Still, I seem to be in the minority in this, so at least other people enjoyed it where I didn't.

I am fully with you on this, I definitely didnt like it either. The platforming was weak, the levels were unimaginative and I couldnt find any enjoyment in this at all, it was just way too plain.

Toma

Castle in the Darkness
Best game so far this month. Its a really, really damn well designed Castlevania-style game. Interesting level design, lots of secrets, tons of content, challenging (but not unfair!) and a million references to other games that had me chuckle quite a bit (I just got killed by a fairy shouting "Hey, Listen!") This game is very, very, very good, even if you are not overly fond of other game references. I will definitely play more of this game. Definitely worth the purchase.

Catacomb Kids
This game is surprisingly well made and shows a lot of potential. Its still in early alpha and seems a bit expensive, but its really damn well made and very complex for what it appears to be. A high amount of maneuverability with runs, dodges, jumps, rolls, a vast magic system, and challenging procedural levels. If you are in love with procedural sidescrolling roguelike challenges, definitely put this on your list. The only reason I am not putting this on top of my list this month, is the alpha status as its still missing content and rough around some minor edges. Keep an eye on this game.

Dark Echo
There is a free PC Ludum Dare Prototype here: http://www.rac7.com/YouMustEscape/. Very cool and unique take on the concept of navigation via sound. The mobile version is a lot more polished, but this game works very well, and you definitely should check out the free prototype to see how they created a horror game from visual sound feedback.

Darkest Dungeon
Already wrote about that a while ago, very cool and evocative setting/mechanics, but unfortunately the balancing still feels too off to completely drown in the experience. Looking forward to the final version a LOT.

Demon Extermination Squad
Very simplistic squad based roguelike. It does have some depth to it and I like the "plan your moves and execute"-style of gameplay, but its just not interesting enough overall to be played over better alternatives.

Ephemerid
Very cute musical journey. Its technically a rhythm game, but then again ... its not really as it refrains from using many of the typical ideas and just focusses on telling a story that you are rhythmically accompany. I liked it and even though its overall rather short, not complicated or challenging, its just a joy to play. Its hard to find a game these days that makes you just happy and puts a smile on your face from simple things, like the cute story, the paper style animations or even the music. I generally like genres they used for this game, but just based off what they wanted this game to be, basically my biggest gripe would have been a better music production. I know thats hard to pull off for such a small project, but sometimes the electronically produced rock music was a bit in a sort of a contrast to the innocent and pure story and emotions the game tried to convey.

Highly recommended
Castle in the Darkness
Darkest Dungeon
Catacomb Kids
Aaru's Awakening
Dark Echo

Recommended
Bezier
Ephemerid

Decent
Blackhole
[Encrypted]
Bionic Bliss
Beyond 35000
Camera Obscura

Not recommended

Bunker Blast

3 (+1) highly recommended games in a single play/post session, pretty sure thats a record for me. Good, good stuff.

Glad to see you enjoyed Dark Echo, Toma. It's definitely up there as one of the best IOS games of 2015 IMO. Devs are working on a PC version, currently on Greenlight, and their next game

---

Pixel Noir - ????
ac6oBGn.jpg

http://www.swdtech-games.com/index.php

Equal parts “Earthbound” and “Sin City”, with an art style reminiscent of the golden SNES era of RPGs, Pixel Noir aims to combine the great storytelling of film noir with classic Japanese role playing games.

Organizam - Free prototype (Browser)
CApgUjQUYAAZBig.png

http://organizamgame.com

The game is an interactive story driven experience where the following gameplay elements are combined with story telling to have the player feel and experience the life of an Organism.
Born as a foreign organism in a habitat that is slowly diminishing due to the extraction of vital resources by artificial organisms, you will fight to keep the habitat alive.

My Last Friday - PC, Mac
CApHS8fUwAIu4O-.jpg

http://gadangames.com/games/my-last-friday

In My Last Friday, you play as Howard Goodson who finds himself locked inside an old house. He has no idea why and how he got there.
He falls deeper into a surreal world filled with dark secrets and gruesome creatures. While he's trying to find the way out it slowly becomes clear, why he is in this strange place and what forces are behind his torment. But he must fight and solve puzzles to see the connection between him and all these horror.
It's Friday and somehow he feels that it could be his last one. Whatever happens, he still can make a difference.

Kite - Free alpha (PC)
fMyDf6N.jpg

https://kitegame.wordpress.com

Be the headmaster at arms of the world’s most advanced weapons research facility. Fend off swarms of enemies who want your data – whether off your hard drive or straight out of your dome – they will steal everything and use it against you if you get caught half-steppin’!

Gerty - Free prototype (Browser)
1f30NrY.png

http://www.gerty-game.com

Gerty is a sci-fi top-down rogue-like shooter with fully destructible environment.

Unfair Jousting Fair - PC, Mac
CApXkZ4UsAAJWv1.png

https://twitter.com/Rodaja_es

Unfair Jousting Fair is a 2D videogame about jousting, but with unicycles. Two players try to keep their balance on a unicycle while they fight a medieval joust with unbalanced and random weapons.

Skyrider - PC, PS Vita
CApG4cNW8AAr7gM.png

http://skyriderthegame.com

Noki was one of the pure. Once he had fallen, he became the SkyRider.
Engage in this Action-Puzzle-Platformer where the most unfortunate fight against tyranny.

Spectrum - ????
CAkXPJQWEAAtNw5.png

https://twitter.com/spectrumthegame

Mind bending first person puzzler

Project Microcosmos - ????

Unnamed Game 1 - ????

Unnamed Game 2 - ????

Unnamed Game 3 - ????

Previously Mentioned

Twin Souls

Sky Arena

Viridi

Regret

One Heart

Dr SpaceZoo

Toma

Castle in the Darkness looks cute.

Cute humor too, but very challenging. I am really, really glad they went with a generous checkpoint system though, the mechanics and balancing really hits the sweet spot for me.

Great game <3

Castle in the Darkness looks cute.

Don't let the cute look deceive you, this game is evil xD

Edit:

Destination Sol - Little space game with various items to customize your ship, I could have enjoyed it more if the movement wasn't somewhat janky, maneuvering the ship while shooting is confusing and makes the combat harder than it should be, it it wasn't for this thing I could have enjoyed this game a lot more.

Thanks to that 2D in 2015 thread I just learnt that Finding Teddy is getting a sequel and it's coming next month already! Though I don't know how I feel about it not being a point and clicky game, from the trailer it looks like to be an platformer but at least they are keeping part of the original theme, the musical notes.

Trailer

Toma

Eron
2D runner type game with a focus on dimension shifting, where certain obstacles do not exist or have different properties in the other dimension. Quite challenging and an absolutely lovely art style. Recommendable if you like these type of games and look for a challenge.

Freaking Meatbags

Talked about this enough already, but its a great Tower Defense style game with its own RTS base building twist. Went back to it multiple times over the past few months and breeding alienhumans and building a decent resource structure is still not getting old. Highly recommended.

Frozen Cortex
Sports game with the Frozen Synapse turn based mechanics. My opinion on this game is quite jarred from comparing it to Frozen Synapse, which is one of my favourite games ever. Frozen Cortex is not as deep, but much much easier to get into and you can have some thrilling matches trying to outwit your opponents with simple path planning. Its not a bad game, so I still advise to check it out if you eventually can grab it for cheap somewhere.

Gallergy
Pretty cool concept, in which you approach art, which will draw you into endless rooms painted with the same colours and patterns like the art you chose. Unfortunatey, the game itself isnt too hot and the art algorithm could be more interesting, but its still kinda a cool experiment.

Grab them by the Eyes
Very simplistic puzzle/simulation game about buying effective signs and attracting customers. Despite being simple, finding out how to properly play the game to win was actually quite rewarding as a mini-puzzle, so its worth checking out if anyone has a few minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Highly recommended

Castle in the Darkness
Freaking Meatbags
Darkest Dungeon
Catacomb Kids
Aaru's Awakening
Dark Echo

Recommended
Bezier
Frozen Cortex
Ephemerid
Eron

Decent
Grab Them By The Eyes
Blackhole
[Encrypted]
Bionic Bliss
Beyond 35000
Camera Obscura
Gallergy

Not recommended

Bunker Blast

titch

Shin Samurai Jazz - $0.99 (WIN)
ss_2158837cd5752d128a19c95c0db78ff5d2355082.600x338.jpg
ss_d7d737d71ccaebe2aede10c06386a73384a838bb.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/354970

Shin Samurai Jazz is a platform-adventure game. It combines the likes of film noir and samurai cinema, presenting them with 8-bit graphics, an electro-jazz soundtrack, and a comic/manga-like style creating a unique atmosphere.

TITLE - $1.99 (WIN)
ss_c33616e2d1fc229b44374c6976651d2fcbfb0e40.600x338.jpg
ss_9d836b5dc7e969f8407706841b77de689a2663f2.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/354960

Stuck in the Underworld without the slightest clue why, a young fiend has a bit of a mystery to solve in this action/adventure platformer. With a world to explore, a past to uncover, and quite the task to complete, players must embark on a quest filled with monsters, towns, dungeons, bosses, and various platforming challenges.

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
Mussel - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
During my nostalgia last night I decided to check this out, and it's pretty freaking cool.
It’s not a look I have any affinity toward, but Mussel makes it work through sheer power of presence. A pixelated Gradius-esq sidesrolling shooter, it abuses its CRT inspired visual overlay to where I couldn’t help but become transfixed as I watched the game nearly implode on itself. The screen shakes and flashes violently with every enemy killed and shot fired, power-ups distorting the image into chaotic incomprehension as enemy and player alike begin to ghost onto the screen, as if the game is trying to wrest itself from the clutches of technology and spring to life in front of you.
http://kritiqal.com/2015/03/23/quick-thoughts-on-mussel/

Toma

Not a new or underrated game by any means, but Gone Home is now on Itchio! That's a great get for itchio, I love what they're doing for indies so it's good to see them snag such a major game (even if it's a bit late)

Technically cool, but int he end.. I mean digital sales are 90% Steam for same time releases anyway, so I cant imagine it would make them that much money.

Top Bottom