• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [March] Now Voting - Post 329!

SerTapTap

Technically cool, but int he end.. I mean digital sales are 90% Steam for same time releases anyway, so I cant imagine it would make them that much money.

No, but more big names in Itchio's storefront adds an air of legitimacy or whatever too. I think it's cool even though it probably wont' actually sell especially much.

Wok

Technically cool, but int he end.. I mean digital sales are 90% Steam for same time releases anyway, so I cant imagine it would make them that much money.

I have not played most of the games which I had bought on other stores than Steam, because I have forgotten I own them. I sometimes even forget about games which I own on Steam, but at least, there is a chance that I get to play them because I can see them in my Steam library.

I have not played most of the games which I had bought on other stores than Steam, because I have forgotten I own them. I sometimes even forget about games which I own on Steam, but at least, there is a chance that I get to play them because I can see them in my Steam library.

You can add non-Steam games to the Steam client.

Somerville is looking fantastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99LHlq2DWK4
Scene-Transitions.gif

Automation - $29.99 (PC)
fwWwq0m.gif

http://www.automationgame.com/

Free Engine-builder Demo

Steam Early Access Page

Automation is a car design/engineering/manufacture/business sim in which you're given complete control over the production of your line of vehicles. I can't stress "complete" enough. The engine modeling alone is incredibly deep, allowing you to build your own engine from the ground up, or to replicate your favorite existing engine in gory detail. You have control over number of cylinders, engine layout, bore size and stroke length, construction materials, type of induction, cam profile, ignition timing, air/fuel mixture, and RPM limit just to name some of the properties you can tinker with. All of these properties have a direct impact on the performance of the engine--this is no cosmetic engine builder--this is engineering! You can then put the engine on a dyno for testing to see what sort of power it can make, its fuel economy, or whether it even works in the first place--you may find you've simply created a time bomb.

In its current state, the game includes detailed tutorials, a sandbox mode, and a few dozen scenarios to work through. The sandbox mode allows you to design an entire car from the ground up. The scenarios are a more guided experience in which you're given specific goals to work toward and engineering limitations to overcome (they also span a number of decades, restricting you to technology available in that era). Yet to come is the business/"tycoon" mode, in which you'll run a factory and produce several vehicles over the years. It's still a bit buggy--the UI functionality in particular can get wonky at times--but if you have even a passing interest in cars or automotive engineering, this game is for you. And if you know nothing about how cars or engines work, the tutorials and puzzle-like scenarios here can teach you everything you'd ever want to know.

This thing is approaching dream game status for me. If some sim studio would snap up this team and implement these features in a driving game with good tire/physics models, I'd be set for life. As it stands, you can take your finished car and run it through a purely mathematical lap simulation at their version of the Top Gear test track and a few others (and provisions for custom tracks are also in place), giving you an overhead 2D representation of the lap, your lap times, cornering Gs, live RPM/Speed data, etc.

SerTapTap

I add my non-steam games to Steam, and I keep them in a special folder to keep track of them (sorted down to review copies, GoG, Itchio, Origin etc). I do like the idea of GoG Galaxy though--keeping it optional while making it a way to keep track of your stuff is great. I love Itchio though, it's there when a game isn't on Steam yet, and you get a steam key if it hit steam, it's a perfect stepping stone. Plus some people prefer DRM free, and it's a way to give the developer more money should you choose--you can over-pay on Itchio, plus their cut is generally lower (but devs set their cut now!)

Only games I haven't had add to steam properly are a couple of dosbox ones with special command line prompts or something. I think you CAN get them to work but there's an extra step to get Steam to use the right command line args.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Automation - $29.99 (PC)

This thing is approaching dream game status for me. If some sim studio would snap up this team and implement these features in a driving game with good tire/physics models, I'd be set for life. As it stands, you can take your finished car and run it through a purely mathematical lap simulation at their version of the Top Gear test track and a few others (and provisions for custom tracks are also in place), giving you an overhead 2D representation of the lap, your lap times, cornering Gs, live RPM/Speed data, etc.

Woah, holy crap. Thanks for posting.

Woah, holy crap. Thanks for posting.

No problem! I think you'd dig this a lot. And it's not just focused on sports cars--there are also scenarios available at the moment that involve building rugged offroad and military vehicles. The vehicles are quantitatively judged by a wide range of criteria like drivability, safety, comfort, "prestige," cost of production and so on, so there's a lot of room for experimentation to develop a vehicle to suit different customers' needs. Even the engines are submitted to judgment criteria like smoothness, reliability, performance index, and so on. I assume those measures will be a large part of what's used by the campaign/business portion of the game whenever that's released.

There's a free demo here, which seems to be just the engine development module with more limited build options than the full game. I haven't tried it yet (I just bought the full game outright and have been loving it), but will when I get home tonight. Gonna update the original post with the demo link.

SerTapTap

PacaPong looks ridiculous (gif in link, can't embed because twitter turns gifs into videos). It's exactly what it sounds like (with space invaders too), mini LD Pong Jam game.

Apologies for the relative lack of activity, hard to check out games without a computer easily accessible and I've been busy studying. Will post some OP inpressions and released/upcoming games later

titch

Apologies for the relative lack of activity, hard to check out games without a computer easily accessible and I've been busy studying. Will post some OP inpressions and released/upcoming games later

I've been the same but without the hardware reason and tbh there haven't been as many interesting games released on steam that haven't been put up already. There are a few I mean to add shortly though.

Dyscourse - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
7sNn9T9.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234920/

Dyscourse is an interactive choose-your-own adventure where you journey through a stylized world of choice and consequence. You play as Rita, an unfortunate art school grad turned barista, who is now stuck on a desert island with a crew of oddball travelers after a plane crash. That last choice you just made? It may end up being integral to your group’s survival, or it may lead you down a path to murder and cannibalism!

IAMJASON - Free (PC)
IAMJASON_header.png

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1896/

IAMJASON is a point & click adventure with a low res retro style in a dystopian sci-fi setting. You must help Jason defeat the corruption.

Phage - Free (PC, Linux)
phage.png

http://wip.warpdoor.com/2015/03/23/phage-risto-saarelma/

Open-world game of killing things and reanimating their rotting alien corpses

DuckSoup Dungeon - Free (Browser)

Please, Don't Touch Anything - $4.99 (PC)
FDc6PJw.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/354240/

Please, Don’t Touch Anything is a cryptic, brain-racking button-pushing simulation.
Covering for a colleague who is taking a bathroom break, you find yourself in front of a mysterious panel which only component is a red button. And since you’ve clearly been instructed not to touch anything, the only thing you want to do now is push that damn button.
Push it and expect to be held liable for any unintended aftermath. And there will be many.

Renoir - PC, Consoles
Q0RPNns.jpg

http://www.renoir-game.com

Renoir is a story-driven noir puzzle-platformer.
As private detective James Renoir you will investigate your final case. On the complicated path to solving it, James must finally overcome his past and face the fact that in a city saturated with fear and corruption, there is hardly a future for him.

Heavier Than Air - ????

Did anyone ever play the demo for In Between? It was featured in one of the threads last summer. Just got reminded of it because the dev started a devlog on TIGForum and it's really worth checking out. The gameplay itself isn't anything new, a puzzle platformer that has mechanics you've seen in other games like changing gravity, spikes, etc. But the presentation is superb.

http://gentlymad.org/game/inbetween

Crossposting from the Steam thread:

header.jpg

I just finished Castle In the Darkness after 19 hours and I enjoyed it pretty much all the time I spent with the game. The controls are very simple, one button to jump and another one to attack/cast spell, and works very well for the game it's reward exploration with many secrets and easter-eggs hidden through all levels.
As one can notice the game has clearly been inspired by the 8bit era be it the visuals or the simple controls or even the stupid difficult platform sections, and hard platform sections is a thing that this game plenty to offer, spikes, traps, breakables platforms and many more are few of the obstacles you find on the game.

Though a small bug annoyed me, I finished the damn game collecting all the items, spells and killing all bosses and to my surprise I didn't got the best ending because the game shows that I'm at 99% completion, even though I checked a FAQ to make sure I wasn't missing any item, I even have the achievement about collecting all the items. ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Olympia Rising is finished! If you're a backer, the game should be in your Humble library. Might have to use the key resender

When is the release for non backers?

Backed it on Kickstarter and have a second key to give away.
Feel free to quote.

Tried the code though it shows as already redeemed, someone must have claimed it and didn't post in the thread.

managore

Though a small bug annoyed me, I finished the damn game collecting all the items, spells and killing all bosses and to my surprise I didn't got the best ending because the game shows that I'm at 99% completion, even though I checked a FAQ to make sure I wasn't missing any item, I even have the achievement about collecting all the items. ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

It might have to do with not having every bag of gold, or skipping a cutscene, but whatever the cause this website might be handy (I haven't tried it myself).

titch

Tried the code though it shows as already redeemed, someone must have claimed it and didn't post in the thread.

Sorry guys that was me - I installed and started playing straight away and then crashed out - getting a good vibe from the game in its early stages btw - really like the art style and v.interested to see what impact if any the smaller choices make later on in the game.

It might have to do with not having every bag of gold, or skipping a cutscene, but whatever the cause this website might be handy (I haven't tried it myself).

Thank you! It worked. I got every bag of gold, but I skipped a cutscene so maybe it triggered the bug.

Sorry guys that was me - I installed and started playing straight away and then crashed out - getting a good vibe from the game in its early stages btw - really like the art style and v.interested to see what impact if any the smaller choices make later on in the game.

Keep us update on your impressions.

Finally!

Lakeview Cabin Collection - $9.99 (PC, Mac)
NKjcP6.png

http://www.lakeviewcabingame.com/

Relive the horror movies of the 70s and 80s by answering the question: What would you do if you found yourself in a slasher film?
The Lakeview Cabin Collection is an exploration of the world of cult horror movies through sandbox gameplay. You find yourself at the beautiful Lakeview Cabin with a handful of sexy companions, and enough toys and supplies to make your weekend a blast! But when eldritch horrors crawl out from the lake, you’ll need to blast, shoot, chop and burn your way to survive.
Play as four companions as they use anything they can find to survive in a horror experience in the tradition of Evil Dead, Friday the 13th, and The Hills Have Eyes.

The game is $8.99 on itch.io and $9.99 on Humble, which price should I include?

This was the trailer for the game before the dev started from scratch since the art style was too time-consuming. But you can see what other episodes were going to be like
http://www.gamerevolution.com/video/lakeview-cabin-collection
Dont worry, he said the Thing/Alien looks just as good with pixels

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
I'm sure it was talked about before I started posting here, but I just finished playing Trace Vector and geeze, that game is seriously rad. Going off the number of user reviews it like so many other indie games didn't really take off, which is pretty sad and something that only seems to be getting worse =/

Anyway I wrote some thoughts up on Trace Vector for those who haven't played it in the hopes I might persuade them to check it out:
Trace Vector begins with a soundtrack. Well, to be exact it begins with a line. Lines upon lines purposefully arranged into perfectly angular designs, burning neon star charts and spacecraft into an empty galaxy. It’s the soundtrack though which sets the tone, one which the game then eagerly joins in a chorus of 80’s sci-fi nostalgia.
Full Review

Trace Vector is great. It gets seriously hard though

As for indies going unnoticed, that's unfortunately always been a problem. Especially for a game like Trace Vector, whose screenshots might turn off someone or be dismissed due to seeming simple. Occassionally you get an out-of-nowhere success like Besiege but a lot of indies simmer in the background.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Voting March!

RULES THIS MONTH IN SHORT: Up to 10 games, at least 4.

Why?
Because we want to offer people who first step into the thread an easy go-to list for great games. Plus it gives more attention to the titles that really deserve it.

How?
Everyone votes on his top 10 games out of the ones that already have been released AND are mentioned in the OP (So everything in Post 2). I'll tally the results and put the best 5 in the next thread. A minimum voting count of 4 is required. Feel free to vote for games that you deem "important" or the ones that you enjoyed the most. Since this is a rather communicative thread, feel free to include a short description why these games ended up on your list. Every list entry gets 1 point for the overall ranking.

When?
This thread is still open until the end of the month, so you can drop your list in here whenever you want. You can also change your list up to the last day. I wont start the count before the last day of the month, so everyone has still time to revise their lists and play some games. Speaking of which, if you dont even KNOW 7 games to vote for, there are plenty free games in the OP to check out. Most of which are rather short too. Use the remaining week to catch up with 1 or 2 titles you didnt get around to yet!

Which?
Since the list got rather long, here is the complete list of games to vote for for this month:
ΘRΑΩLE - $6 (PC, Mac)
[encrypted] - Free (PC, Mac)
4 PM - $4,99 (PC, Mac)
A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build - $11.99 (PC/Mac/Linux)
Aaru's Awakening - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Apotheon - $14.99 (PC, PS4)
Beeswing - £6.00 (PC, Mac, Linux
Beyond 35000 - Free prototype (PC, Mac, Linux)
Bezier - Free demo, $2.99 (PC)
Bionic Bliss - Free (Browser)
BLACKHOLE - $14,99 (WIN)
BlazeRush - $9.99 (PC, Mac, Linux, PS3)
Bunker Blast - $1 (PC)
Camera Obscura - $6.99 (PC)
CASTLE IN THE DARKNESS - $5.99 (WINDOWS)
Catacomb Kids - $15.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
CELL HD: EMERGENCE - $5.99 (WINDOWS)
Conquest - Free (PC, Mac)
Crystal Story II - $2.99 (Win, Mac)
Dark Echo - Free Prototype / $1.99 (IOS)
Darkest Dungeon - $19.99 (PC, Mac)
Demon Extermination Squadron - Free (PC)
DESTINATION SOL - $0.00 (PC)
EPHEMERID: A MUSICAL ADVENTURE - $5.99 (WINDOWS)
Eron - Free demo (PC)
Forever - Free (PC, Mac, Linux, Browser)
FREAKING MEATBAGS - $9.99 (PC/MAC)
FROZEN CORTEX - $24.99 (PC/MAC)
Gallergy - Free (PC)
Grab Them By The Eyes - Free (Browser)
Greedy Guns - Free beta (PC, Mac, Linux)
Hac - Free alpha (PC, Mac)
Hand of Fate - $24.99 (PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One)
HECKABOMB - $5.99 (WINDOWS)
Hot Tin Roof - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
HYPHEN - $7.99 (WINDOWS)
JET/LAG - Free (PC, Mac, Linux, Browser, Android)
Marginalia - $5 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Midboss - Free beta. $7 (PC)
Narcissus - $5.99 (PC, Mac)
Ninjahtic - $2.99 (PC)
Oblitus - $14.99 (PC)
Off-Peak - Free (PC, Mac)
Ohn0 - Free (Browser, iOS, Android, Windows Phone)
One By One - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
Opoid - Free (PC, Browser)
OSCURA: LOST LIGHT - $9.99 (PC/MAC)
Pillar - Free demo, $10 (PC, PS4, Xbox 360)
Reassembly - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Republique Remastered - $24.99 (PC/MAC)
Retrograde - Free demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball - $14.99 (PC/MAC)
Rock Bottom - Free (Browser)
Sanctuary - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
Shutter - $4.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
SLINKI - £3.99 (PC/MAC)
Software Inc. - Free demo, $10 (PC, Mac, Linux)
SOMETIMES SUCCESS REQUIRES SACRIFICE - $2.99 (WIN)
Strength of the Sword 3 - $4.99 (PSN)
TERRA LANDER - $5.99 (PC)
TerraTech - $29.99 (PC, Mac)
The Deer God - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
The Five Cores - $2,99 (PC)
THE GREAT STORY OF A MIGHTY HERO - £3.99 (PC)
The Last Dogma - Free Demo / $6,99 (PC)
The Moon Silver - $2.99 (PC)
The Universim - Free prototype (PC)
THERE CAME AN ECHO - $14.99 (WINDOWS)
Torquel - $9.99 (PC)
Trash TV - $6.99 (PC)
VIDdEO - Free (PC, Mac)
Walkerman - Free demo (PC, Mac)
Wings of Vi - Free demo, $14.99 (PC)

Voting

• Bionic Bliss
  • HAC
  • Castle In The Darkness
  • Destination Sol
  • Crystal Story II
  • There Came an Echo

Edit: Also if you all don't see me for the next months blame Pillars of Eternity

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
Trace Vector is great. It gets seriously hard though

As for indies going unnoticed, that's unfortunately always been a problem. Especially for a game like Trace Vector, whose screenshots might turn off someone or be dismissed due to seeming simple. Occassionally you get an out-of-nowhere success like Besiege but a lot of indies simmer in the background.
It has, but I feel it's gotten a lot worse in recent memory. Maybe it's just the quantity of indie games being released is a lot larger so it feels like more are failing when really it's around the same level of success as always, we just never saw the failures before because they weren't on a visible platform like Steam. In any case it makes me sad and concerned for a lot of developers attempting to find a place in a market that seems to be disinterested in anything but a very small handful of what's being released.

As for voting, the only games I've played and would really recommend are A Good Snowman and Off Peak. Will have to try to play some more from the list before the month is over, I've just been playing much older stuff lately.

We've been working on an expansion for Legend of Dungeon, and it just launched today, and it's free!

HjQaNDC.jpg

It's called 'Legend of Dungeon: Legend Heroes' and it adds Pets, Classes, VR, new bosses, and more. (I'm super proud that we snuck 'legend' in twice)

We've been working on this update for months, any time we weren't working on Upsilon Circuit we were doing this, so it feels a bit strange to suddenly have a moment to ourselves again

QkxTOPi.jpg

It's featured as a daily deal on Steam today, this is the first time ever having a daily deal, so it's exciting, and I'm really curious how it will do.

Hey, welcome to the thread! Congrats on getting the update out! LoD is a lot of fun, although I only play solo. Definitely sounds like a good time to start playing it again.

Hey, welcome to the thread! Congrats on getting the update out! LoD is a lot of fun, although I only play solo. Definitely sounds like a good time to start playing it again.

Thanks! I've peeked into older threads a year or so ago, I've just been stupid busy and forgot that I should socialize more :/ It's easier when I have something to talk about too :p

I prefer LoD solo, less people to take your items, hog EXP, and shove you into lava.

titch

Edit: Also if you all don't see me for the next months blame Pillars of Eternity

And the one after than.......having the same issue but PoE will have to wait for this months indies!!!!

Thanks! I've peeked into older threads a year or so ago, I've just been stupid busy and forgot that I should socialize more :/ It's easier when I have something to talk about too :p

I prefer LoD solo, less people to take your items, hog EXP, and shove you into lava.

Thanks for the update - awesome. LoD was one of the reasons I came back to PC gaming - really, really like its style great looking game - just haven't played it anywhere enough - will have to fire it up again tonight!!!

Crystal Story II - It's clearly inspire by the JRPG genre, the visuals are simple but charming. As Arthea said when he talked about this game there are a ton of mini-games and content, card battles, and arena, a mini game to lockpick etc. I'm still in the beginning but enjoying it so far.

We've been working on an expansion for Legend of Dungeon, and it just launched today, and it's free!

HjQaNDC.jpg

It's called 'Legend of Dungeon: Legend Heroes' and it adds Pets, Classes, VR, new bosses, and more. (I'm super proud that we snuck 'legend' in twice)

We've been working on this update for months, any time we weren't working on Upsilon Circuit we were doing this, so it feels a bit strange to suddenly have a moment to ourselves again

QkxTOPi.jpg

It's featured as a daily deal on Steam today, this is the first time ever having a daily deal, so it's exciting, and I'm really curious how it will do.

That's very cool, I need to check this out.

Can someone explain to me how this clue means face?

I'm playing a puzzle game where you use visual clues to figure out word answers. I was stumped at that one and learning the answer didn't tell me anything. How would you figure the correct word is face from that? My feeble mind can't comprehend it

daydream

Banned

I'm playing a puzzle game where you use visual clues to figure out word answers. I was stumped at that one and learning the answer didn't tell me anything. How would you figure the correct word is face from that? My feeble mind can't comprehend it

F = sixth letter in the alphabet, etc. etc.

Dascu

Letters of the alphabet.

More_Badass confirmed to be too casual for indie games. Git out.

Captain Forever Remix - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
3.png

http://captainforeverremix.com/

Can you create the raddest spaceship? Captain Forever Remix is the spaceship builder roguelike. Voyage across the Solar System and blast apart randomly-generated enemies for spare parts.
You better build a pretty tough ship, because you're gonna need it. Your mutant little brother is being a total butthead and must be stopped! He froze the Sun, poked out Jupiter's eye, drank Neptune's oceans, and cracked Earth like an egg! Set off across a messed-up Solar System to put a stop to the big jerkface once and for all!

SerTapTap

I love indies but I don't love short notice. Cool altgame, I have basically no time to cover it before release. (I'm not breaking the format by posting this am I?)

Fragile Soft Machines - $3 (PC)
S2uizy.png

http://madameberry.itch.io/fragile-soft-machines

You were born to fly, but you never will. As a butterfly with a torn wing, traverse the land in a way you were never meant to, as you journey to find your place in a world that has rejected you. Your choices will affect your journey as well as the world around you.

Your post format is perfect :)

Need to check out some more games over the weekend. Bionic Bliss, Grab Them By The Eyes, Greedy Guns, and Opoid look interesting

On spring break now, so I have all of next week free

Top Bottom