• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] EXCLUSIVE – Details on Project Over – The Next Mainline Ghost Recon Game

salva

Going back to fps and "tactical" peaks my interest. MW inspiration is lol....
I have 1% confidence this will be anything close to the originals. I will eat my shit if it somehow does.

Fully expecting arcadey long TTK, battle royale, extremely messy hud, non-grounded with laughable cosmetic unlocks.
RIP Ghost Recon.

Perrott

Gold Member
This new Ghost Recon, the next Far Cry, Assassin's Creed Codename Hexe... all sound incredible to me from a conceptual standpoint, and the upcoming Star Wars Outlaws looks just awesome.

Really excited from the real next-gen stuff coming out of Ubisoft over the next years.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Noooo

Wildlands was so good, that formula would've become something special if they just took MGSV for inspiration instead of fucking destiny like they did for breakpoint. Wildlands is still the pinnacle of how to do co-op in a videogame

A call of duty clone sounds boring as fuck

Last edited:
A call of duty clone sounds boring as fuck
They mentioned tactical so I’m hoping they’re taking inspiration from the franchise’s past and also newer games like Ready or Not, rather than CoD, for the campaign.

Quick replayable levels with different variations and strategy options. That is essentially what the 360 games were and that essence of volatility and slight RNG in a tense situation is part of what made the older PC Ghost Recon games fun as well.

This new Ghost Recon, the next Far Cry, Assassin's Creed Codename Hexe... all sound incredible to me from a conceptual standpoint, and the upcoming Star Wars Outlaws looks just awesome.

Really excited from the real next-gen stuff coming out of Ubisoft over the next years.
An Ubisoft shakeup is very welcomed and has been a long time coming. I hope you are right.

I want Ubisoft to dig themselves out of this critical hole they’re in, much like Capcom did in the past decade.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

They mentioned tactical so I’m hoping they’re taking inspiration from the franchise’s past and also newer games like Ready or Not, rather than CoD, for the campaign.

Quick replayable levels with different variations and strategy options. That is essentially what the 360 games were and that essence of volatility and slight RNG in a tense situation is part of what made the older PC Ghost Recon games fun as well.
I don't mind tactical. But we do have ready or not and six days in fallujah and squad and so on and so forth already.

Wildlands really was such a unique co-op tactical stealth game.

Dropping your mates off on the ridge to provide sniper overwatch while the two of you go in cqc with smgs and try extract the target so they don't make a run for it.

There really isn't anything like it. My dream would have been if they took the wildlands formula and somehow made a hitman style medium-large maps.

Also as I said it's the pinnacle of drop in and out co-op. Everything just worked, you'd click join friend, drop in, it would sync missions. If you had already done it the mission would be indicated in white, you could unselect and do your own thing while they finished up the job or you could join etc.

Just so good

Last edited:

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
It’s a shame that Breakpoint was just that for the franchise - a breaking point. Seems like they dropped the ball so hard with the atrocious “looter shooter” direction they took the franchise.

What’s even more of a shame is that once they patched it out, Breakpoint became just as good if not better than Wild Lands IMHO.

StueyDuck

What’s even more of a shame is that once they patched it out, Breakpoint became just as good if not better than Wild Lands IMIMHO
Breakpoint became infinitely better when they added the wildlands formula into the game for sure.

Also both games having that hardcore one life mode was also so much fun. It really adds a skill a pressure to the game.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Man I'd absolutely love to get a "Next Generation" remaster of Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Still one of the best co-op/squad shooters I've ever played. 4k/60fps, (haptic feedback for PS5) and X Series owners.

For some reason, coming off GR: WL, I just couldn't get into Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. I think it was most likely because I had a 4 player squad of actually *decent* a.i. teammates(they can even heal you and even engage
in combat without holding the ai's hand) and I loved the banter Ubisoft put in between the squad members. Some genuine laugh out moments with some of the numerous things I've heard playing it.

So I hope Project Over will take some of it's DNA from GR: WL. Not sure about the first person perspective. I like options and prefer third and first person
camera options for the player. Some people just like seeing their character, especially all kitted out with the loot and drops they obtain and shiny new weapons.

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best with this one!

Ownage

I loved Wildlands and Breakpoint. One of the few games I was happy I preordered at max package. I wish I could bring my toon from Breakpoint to the next game.

Read the actual article, it says that they have footage that was provided to them and the closest thing they can compare it to is Ready or Not. That's got me hype as shit! The fictional setting is also called Nambia which is close to Namibia so I'm REALLY hoping that it's based around a fictional African country like Far Cry 2.

Bry0

Read the actual article, it says that they have footage that was provided to them and the closest thing they can compare it to is Ready or Not. That's got me hype as shit! The fictional setting is also called Nambia which is close to Namibia so I'm REALLY hoping that it's based around a fictional African country like Far Cry 2.
It sounds great. No idea why people are whining about FPS, that was what ghost recon was originally, an awesome tactical fps. Wildlands was fun and all but it was a janky and silly unrealistic game that didn’t really feel like ghost recon to me. I hope UBI can stick the landing but we will see

Last edited:
This sounds good and all and I’ll be there if it’s executed good.

But man, what I would do for a GRAW based squad shooter and I mean like a real squad of soldiers (not this Hollywood based backwards baseball cap, wear what you want bullshit) real uniforms, real equipment and a 5-6 man squad with a real chain of command.

IDWhite

It sounds great. No idea why people are whining about FPS, that was what ghost recon was originally, an awesome tactical fps. Wildlands was fun and all but it was a janky and silly unrealistic game that didn’t really feel like ghost recon to me. I hope UBI can stick the landing but we will see
Because third person give you a more accurate idea on the character position to sneak, cover, driving...

FPS are more immersive but you are not aware of what's around you without moving the character. That is a pain to most players that don't want a hyper realistic sim.

There are a lot of FPS "sim" games out there right now and none like Wildlands and Breakpoint.

Gojiira

Ehhh no? That's your brain doing stupid ass assumptions.

Be sure to pass on everything based on incomplete judgement though. Go for it!
Waaa waaaaa if all thats available is this then thats all we can go off dumb shit. And it doesnt sound great. Jog on.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It would be interesting to hear from the decision makers why FPS is the better option than TPS in this scenario. I have yet to play a stealth game in FP that's adequate. The Ghost in Ghost Recon is confused.

Bry0

It would be interesting to hear from the decision makers why FPS is the better option than TPS in this scenario. I have yet to play a stealth game in FP that's adequate. The Ghost in Ghost Recon is confused.
Well “Ghost” never referred to them being about stealth necessarily. It’s group specialized tactics per the fiction (GST), the ghost kinda refers to their operations being highly classified ala ghost recon 1-2. It doesn’t really mean stealth. That was never really THE focus until future soldier made it a huge part of the gameplay.

Regardless it seems expectations are wildly different depending on which era of ghost recon folks remember fondly, so it will be interesting to see what the game aims for.

Last edited:

salva

"Ghost" came from them executing black-ops missions as if they were never there.
I'm all for the FPS and back to it's roots... TPS shooters allow you to "cheat" by seeing around walls/obstacles. . Also let us command our squad and also control them individually. Why the fk was that removed after the first one.

Top Bottom