• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: PS5 Super Resolution will be aiming for 4K120FPS (future console iterations)

YCoCg

yay more pixelization and break up... these technologies suck ass.
It was made to do 1440p to 4k reasonably well.
Not 720p to 8k which it will of course end up being.

Funny thing with FSR2 is that it's not free. If you do 1080p to 4k with fsr2... without it, you could have like 1200-1300p perfectly stable with TAA.
PSSR is based on checkerboard with AI, it's designed to be 2x scale but also done fast and accurate, if anything it's the reverse of what you just said, this will cost more in rendered base pixels but will be upscaling with AI clean at a fast rate.

Zathalus

PSSR is based on checkerboard with AI, it's designed to be 2x scale but also done fast and accurate, if anything it's the reverse of what you just said, this will cost more in rendered base pixels but will be upscaling with AI clean at a fast rate.
PSSR has got nothing to do with checkerboard rendering. It is a Temporal scaler utilizing AI to enhance the capabilities like XeSS and DLSS.

Upscaling to 8K at 60fps doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility for this given its something you've been able to do on a 3090 using DLSS for a while now

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
let's hope so.
I actually really liked checkerboarding since it was used with good TAA and didn't break up so drastically like fsr2

8K is just...pointless, I could care less about it, they just need to focus on 4K. Playing FPS games at 120fps to me does make a difference, but all other games I would completely find with just 60fps.

Quantum253

That would be nice. It always seems consoles are chasing that next graphical/performance standard. When Xbox 360 launched, we started getting gaming in HD, and it was glorious. Then it started the 1080p/60fps standard. That went into the next systems (One/PS4) where we thought 1080p/60 would be the standard for everything. Then it went to 4k, then adding RTX, and on and on. Seems today now it's talking about 8k/30 4k/60 and were still trying for consistent 1440p/60.
I hope PSSR/DLSS/etc get us over that hump, but I feel that we move to the next before perfecting the previous standard.

SHA

Don't people get tired of the bullshit hype around 8K and 120fps? It will never amount to anything. Like in the current gen, to get these means making massive compromises and trade-offs. Why play at 8K / 120fps when you can get dramatically better graphics by playing at 'just' 4K and 60fps?

None of this is new.

In fact the PS5 and Xbox often can't get close to maintaining even 1080p60. Let's learn to walk before we can run eh.
Some games get scaled down to even 1080p60 with 4090, it's not their problem, they make 8k tvs to market them obviously.

Buggy Loop

"aiming"

Miss Fail GIF by G2 Esports

Like they aimed 4k 60fps at the beginning of the gen?

Gamerguy84

Sounds great. Sony engineers and AMD has come up with some great hardware tricks in the past. PS isn't a PC and doesn't have to stick with parts off a shelf. They seem to take those parts and say what if we add this or change that a bit. It's a console and they want to max the hardware to do one thing.

Won't really believe or disbelieve at this point just enjoy reading about it.

When they made claims about their I/O on PS5 I remember all the doubting claiming BS and then they showed they really did it.

I trust sony engineers with Mark cerny then Microsoft. And with this pssr I think they can get atleast 4k60fps with ps5 pro. future hardware and updates with the psst they will get 4k120fps to 8k. Eventually.

If pssr surpasses nvidia dlss then ps5 pro could possibly see games in ultra settings or high/very high settings with full Ray tracing

Audiophile

Gold Member
My hope would be a native 1080p/40 minimum mandate going into PS6. Then with another 4yrs of technology development, dev experience, model training and hardware gains the tech will be good enough to return a better-than-native 4K image with a blanket PSSR2 implementation that hooks into all games on the PS6 API from the outset, as well as a toggleable frame gen to a locked 60fps or ~80-120fps VRR.

Devs could of course override this and do their own thing if they're aiming for a 60fps mode or higher in more latency/response-sensitive titles; or want to use their own hybrid or bespoke upscaling solutions.

But, maintaining a minimum quality level for users of the platform should be a high priority.

Last edited:

Kerotan

8k should be the final resolution we ever need to hit for mainstream content. All future gains will go towards fps after it becomes standard.

Gamerguy84

Well we do have the tourist so far at 8K 60, as simple as it is. They have definitely been playing with this idea of hitting 8K.

Personally don't feel they can get 8K 30 but I do think they're gonna hit native 4K.

Audiophile

Gold Member
LOL! Maybe a bit, but 30 fps has to stay. It's what drives some games to look next-gen. Not all games even need 60 fps. Hellblade 2 would be worthless in 60 fps.
I think 40fps is a much more reasonable ask. And by the time PS6 rolls around the hardware and a toggleable frame-gen will probably be good enough to flawlessly take that from 40 to 60fps locked and 80fps+ VRR.

Killer8

8k should be the final resolution we ever need to hit for mainstream content. All future gains will go towards fps after it becomes standard.

4K should be that resolution. You would need to sit less than a meter from a 65" screen, or have a screen hundreds of inches in size at a normal viewing distance, to see any appreciable difference.

8K is basically a meme resolution.

When abouts do you think we can buy 8k oled tvs?
now

but hdmi2.1 only supports 8k60, and even that needs DSC (data compression) to hit 4:4:4.

plus even a 4090 has trouble at 8k.

new GPUs + new hdmi version = time to buy 8k TVs

Going to be a lot of back and forth for the next 6+ months because how few people know what this PSSR is capable of and how Devs will use it

And will the Pro's performance be held back by that CPU, as well as how long of a lag it will it take for devs to take advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if we only start seeing the benefits toward the end of very end of the PS5's lifespan when PS6 is right around the corner.

Bojji

With rasterization as well.
With PSSR 8K

You mean 4K 120FPS? If we are talking about PS5 Pro then CPU won't allow it in most games but PS6 will do it.

I hope Sony implements frame gen into this and allows 60fps games to run with 120FPS/Hz output and frame gen allows to overcome CPU limitations.

Top Bottom