• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider got access to the upcoming TCL VR headset 'Nxtwear V' pre-launch unit.

Not 100% full headset, and they are still working on it, though not sure if original rumor of launch at end of spring will still happen if they still haven't announced a date yet.
852w

852w

852w

852w

852w

852w

852w

852w

Here is the video of the gentlemen using this early unit, it's not in English so you'll have to use the English captioning setting if you do not understand his language,

Here is the original thread where some of the specs were revealed. Also keep in mind TCL has it's own tool ecosystem it is making to attract developers. They believe it will help improve the "quality" of the software output.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/tcl-...ablets-pcs-and-others.1645971/#post-266986165

The headset has been renamed from the V1 to the Nxtwear V now.

The original reveal was they will be aiming for Quest pricing, likely Quest 3 I suppose. They were said to launch end of spring, but with stil no announcement for a date not sure if that will still happen but I guess we may learn more and get some marketing in the next week or so.

Those controllers look practically identical to the Pico 4 controllers lol

I assume this is basically a copy of that, the same as the other bajillion units announced recently

Kuranghi

I mean, I'm glad they are; the affordable high-def pancake lens revolution is great for PC gamers and none of these companies are going to succeed in their aim of monopolising some kind of standalone VR app store.

Totally, its the same with 4K MiniLED TVs, I work for Hisense and they'll have three (3) models this year in sizes ranging from 50" to 85", so that's matching Samsung's 4K MiniLED range offering count in most of the same sizes. They do one of them in 43" when I won't have any, my 50" won't be as high spec as theirs and they have 97" models as well, but the 43" size is niche for a high end LCD as most would buy a 42" OLED at the same price anyway (where fullscreen brightness isn't as important) and 97" is ultra niche.

The spec of the lower end model, the U6K which comes in 50" will be lower spec, ie brightness and dimming zone count but on the shop floor it probably won't look better/brighter enough to justify the literal double money Samsung is asking for their 50". We're going to beat their ass like a drum in my shop, just like I have for a year now. Except if Roberto is working, he loves Samsung the fucker :LOL:

Sorry, telly rant! The main thing is though it will drive down the cost of these types of TVs and make them a more realistic option for everyone who can't go near OLED price, same as what you're saying about pancake lenses.

Totally, its the same with 4K MiniLED TVs, I work for Hisense and they'll have three (3) models this year in sizes ranging from 50" to 85", so that's matching Samsung's 4K MiniLED range offering count in most of the same sizes. They do one of them in 43" when I won't have any, my 50" won't be as high spec as theirs and they have 97" models as well, but the 43" size is niche for a high end LCD as most would buy a 42" OLED at the same price anyway (where fullscreen brightness isn't as important) and 97" is ultra niche.

The spec of the lower end model, the U6K which comes in 50" will be lower spec, ie brightness and dimming zone count but on the shop floor it probably won't look better/brighter enough to justify the literal double money Samsung is asking for their 50". We're going to beat their ass like a drum in my shop, just like I have for a year now. Except if Roberto is working, he loves Samsung the fucker :LOL:

Sorry, telly rant! The main thing is though it will drive down the cost of these types of TVs and make them a more realistic option for everyone who can't go near OLED price, same as what you're saying about pancake lenses.

Lol yeah, I sold my girlfriend and my mum on Hisense TVs. I can't speak for the current lineup. because I haven't done research, but back when I made those recommendations they were clearly the best value options... they're just solid VA panels and they do the fundamentals really well. They wouldn't notice the difference between this and a more expensive display.

So, Hisense is doing MiniLEDs now? I expect that they'll sell well. Look, I have a monitor with eight dimming zones, and it's subjectively "good enough" given the native contrast of the panel. People aren't going to care about the different between a Hisense MiniLED and a Samsung one... you know this already but it's obvious.

And yeah, the competition around this market is great. Loads of companies are releasing basically identical sets. It seems insane though – none of them are going to break through. Meta can't even manage it.

Kuranghi

Lol yeah, I sold my girlfriend and my mum on Hisense TVs. I can't speak for the current lineup. because I haven't done research, but back when I made those recommendations they were clearly the best value options... they're just solid VA panels and they do the fundamentals really well. They wouldn't notice the difference between this and a more expensive display.

So, Hisense is doing MiniLEDs now? I expect that they'll sell well. Look, I have a monitor with eight dimming zones, and it's subjectively "good enough" given the native contrast of the panel. People aren't going to care about the different between a Hisense MiniLED and a Samsung one... you know this already but it's obvious.

And yeah, the competition around this market is great. Loads of companies are releasing basically identical sets. It seems insane though – none of them are going to break through. Meta can't even manage it.
What you're saying about your family owning Hisense because you recommended them due to the price saving being more important to them than the picture quality differences with a Sony, LG or Samsung and the differences between Hisense and Samsung MiniLEDs zones and such is my whole job in a nutshell, I show the customer imagery and say can you really see a big enough difference that justifies an extra 300+ (depending on model and size obviously).

The thing that's funny is I'm the UK where Hisense TVs have been totally different models with low contrast ADS/IPS-like panels and way less dimming zones and mostly much less brightness output for years now but what you said about the American models still applies since LG use the low contrast panels in every LCD model they make (except most of the 43", 50" and 85" sizes because IPS-like panels just aren't made in those sizes as much as VA/VA-like ones are + the Samsung QN85B also uses ADS panel).

I'm excited that this year the range is unified worldwide so the TVs will have VA panels in the UK and the same brightness and zone counts! The audio was always better in the UK/EUR models so maybe the US models got boosted audio quality while we got the better image quality. Best of both worlds.

The only problem I have now is mine use this less good operating system (VIDAA) than Google TV in terms of ability to install what you want, app selection, speed with which new services are added and features like Apple Airplay. If they can replace it with Google TV or better yet it make it as feature packed as Google TV/WebOS/Tizen etc it should smash them all since the interface itself is really simple and I'd argue better than the others which are too verbose in that regard. Most people don't give a shit about 99% of the stuff and making them do 8 button presses instead of 4 to do something is actually really off-putting for many people. They want ultra simplicity.

Ooh sorry essay, as you can tell I'm passionate haha.

PM if you ever need advice on Hisense TV stuff or want recommendations of new Hisense TVs for different scenarios and budget. Basically though all the 2023 FALD LCD models will be MiniLED which is insane really so there's no reason to get anything worse unless you need 43", it's a bed/side/guest room TV or you are on a tight budget. The difference between a 50-zone FALD with a VA panel and a direct-lit, global dimming ADS panel is so huge its worth the 100 or so extra.

The new MiniLED U6K, comes in 50"-85", is 600 nits and will have probably 32-50 dimming zones in 50". Its fucking $500 RRP whereas the Samsung equivalent model's RRP (Q80C) is like $999 lol, even if the Samsung looks a good bit better on the shop floor not many will pay the extra cost.

By the time the price is down on that model in 65" you'll he getting a 120 zone MiniLED for like like $600, what is Samsung gonna do against that when they charge nearly double. I suspect they may come more aggressive with prices over the next few years to stop Hisense gaining too much marketshare.

The problem is though: the Chinese pockets are deep lol and they aree willing to take a loss for a long time. My commission is absolutely insane tbh, I love this job 😆

Top Bottom