• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac confirms they are making a Multiplayer title

They confirmed this last year.

But it's interesting cause they are already making Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine...these guys just don't stop, do they?

Hmm i dont remember the official announcement….but yeah, i think they are twice the size of what they were when they started spider-man. I think they may be sonys biggest studio right now

Last edited:
I assume its the R&C team working on this and Spider-Man 2 team is wrapping up idk for next year -> Wolverine after that wraps

Wolverine team and Spider-man 2 team are different from what i know

Spider-Man 2 team is the Original Spider-Man team - Ryan Smith

Wolverine Team is Miles Morales team - Brian Horton

Ratchet and Clank is another…. - Marcus Smith

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
300 M Acquisition.
TbLzUy9.jpg

RevGaming

Last edited:

CamHostage

...Sunset Overdrive: Chaos Squad Party Pack?

14870383660_b97285b1a8_b.jpg

It is wild that Insomniac has 3 next-gen games out (depending on how you count the Spideys) and at least 2-3 more in production when most game studios are struggling to get their first game out (even cross-gen projects or projects on old/familiar technology.) The only other studio known to be this committed to being busy is Crystal Dynamics (and in their case, not necessarily in a good way yet?) 400 employees is a lot, but still, the output is incredible. You've got to wonder what their secret is, and why nobody else is producing at anywhere near their pace...

Last edited:
At some point the GAAS stuff is a wasted investment.

As a single player gamer, I will buy the next hot thing whenever it comes out. I'm a reliable customer. It may take me a few weeks to beat, but I got my money's worth and I move on. This fits well with my schedule as I can fit in time here and there.

GaaS is just going to end up eating itself. There will be massive winners but a whole lot of losers. There's not enough time in the day for all of them to be successful. It seems like Sony wants to throw shit at the wall with as many GaaS titles as possible when I'd argue it makes more sense to go extremely big with just a few. Put a ton of money into developing something like Destiny for instance rather than tacking on an MP component to a game.

As a single player gamer, I will buy the next hot thing whenever it comes out. I'm a reliable customer. It may take me a few weeks to beat, but I got my money's worth and I move on. This fits well with my schedule as I can fit in time here and there.

GaaS is just going to end up eating itself. There will be massive winners but a whole lot of losers. There's not enough time in the day for all of them to be successful. It seems like Sony wants to throw shit at the wall with as many GaaS titles as possible when I'd argue it makes more sense to go extremely big with just a few. Put a ton of money into developing something like Destiny for instance rather than tacking on an MP component to a game.

Well they are making at least two other big budget single player games, do they seriously need to make 2 more? Its ok, if Sonys studios want to branch out and try multiplayer or other genre of games.

I’m also assuming they wont all be shooters or battle royals.

Last edited:

Just because its a multiplayer game doesn't mean you have to spend so much time on it, just play it the same amount as you would with a single player game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I dont mind the GaaS investment. I think Sony devs had a great eye for multiplayer games in the PS3 era which was perfect for people sick of COD and Halo. Warhawk, Resistance, MAG, KZ, Socom were all different and far better balanced than say CoD or Battlefield.

However, I have to agree with you. There is just too many GaaS games out right now and there just arent that many players who jump from game to game. Fortnite kids arent going to stop playing fornite and play Halo for example. We saw this earlier this year. COD sucked and people still bought it over BF 2042. Literally no one is playing BF 2042. Not even the BF hardcore players. They all went back to Warzone or older Battlefields. Destiny players only play destiny. PubG guys only play PubG. Who the fuck is going to play whatever Fuse ripoff Insomniac manages to come up with?

When factions comes out, I dont see it getting as big as Sony's investments warrants it to be. It's been 2 years since TLOU2 came out and the mp was in development way before that. Thats going to be another $100 million game. Are they going to put it out for free? Is it $70? Who is gonna pay $70 for factions?

GG is making one. Firesprite is making two. ND with Factions and now Insomniac. Thats 4 internal studios. All competing with their new partners Deviation Games (ex-cod guys), Firewalk games (Ex-bungie devs) and of course Bungie which is now under Sony. Forget CoD, Halo, Battlefield, Sony's own GaaS games are going to end up eating each other.

here is what I want. Focus on getting AAA next gen games out first and foremost. They are quite obviously struggling to get last gen games out in time. Get your house in order first and then you can expand into GaaS games all you want.

solidus12

Damn, Insomniac Games is such a good get for PlayStation. The trio is finally assembled

(Naughty Dog + Sucker Punch + Insomniac)

You know, Ratchet, Sly, and Jak…

How can Insomniac make so many high-quality AAA games? They've already released two of the biggest PS exclusives on PS5. They've announced both Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine. Now this.

They have the best production pipeline in the industry. Hopefully, they will have shared their expertise on how to juggle multiple projects with the rest of the WWS.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
These games have a much bigger commitment

Maybe, maybe not.

It really depends. I use to think that you'd normally spend hundreds of hours in a MP title and then I realized if you know the IP or got the basic understanding of it, most of those hours are just enjoy the game.

So someone can play a single player game like The Last Of Us 2 once, for 25 hours, someone can also play it the first time trying to 100% it, beat it in 31 hours, play it 5 more times on different difficulties etc, now is such a commitment required to enjoy that game? God no, but someone can do that if they feel just, but it doesn't mean playing a lot is needed that would exceed a single player title by much.

Over the years BF1 has been my least played of the BF series. Around 80 or so hours and thats over the course of years of owning it, yet 2042 in mere weeks I put 70 plus hours in and this year I put in enough that I'm likely over 100 hours, yet BF1 is the better game. I didn't need to commit to playing such an amount of time to understand BF or get my enjoyment from it...I simply wanted to. So its a weird one. You can play a MP title and say 50 hours is your limit or something to when you feel you got your fill lol Not every MP need to be played like you are looking to rank in the world or something. Only commitment should be if you are having fun with it imho. Any MP title I feel like I have to spend a ton of time on JUST to get any enjoyment simply isn't for me, its why I just play the BF series for MP titles now and single player on everything else. I just want to jump in and play and have fun. So, they can be a commitment, but anyone can play any genre that way if they felt just, its just not needed to enjoy it

(god help em if such a thing is really needed in some of those games lol)

Last edited:

yurinka

Knackart Racing NFT Metaverse exclusively for VR.

Who knows, maybe it's a "GoT Legends' like MP mode free DLC project for Rift Apart or Spider-Man 2.

If it's a brand new game focused on MP I'd like it to be an X-Men game to be released as a Wolverine sequel:
  • Squad based PVE full length single player campaign (single player+CPU)
  • Squad based PVE full length coop campaign (multiplayer)
  • Squad based PVP casual and ranked MP modes (a few players control good guys vs a few players control bad guys)
  • 1 vs 1 PVEVP casual and ranked MP modes (main battle is player vs player but there are also minion enemies and destructible environment elements you can use like to throw a car to the enemy, or to break a wall by trowing an enemy against it and then to throw a big broken part of this wall to the enemy)
  • Every few new months they add a new characters, costumes and stages
  • Every season they add a smaller extra story singleplayer+coop champaign to introduce the new characters & stages of that seaon (each season could alternate between a group of good guys like X-Force, New Mutants or X-Factor and a group of bad guys like Hellfire Club, Horsemen of Apocalyse, Marauders and so on)

Last edited:
Top Bottom