• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac confirms they are making a Multiplayer title

ParaSeoul

Please a new Resistance!!! Goddamn I loved that multiplayer!! Sony, please hear me out, Resistance 3 mp was the shit
I hope we get a new one. Setting is just too good. I would have preferred Insomniac to just work on their original IPs.

I dont mind the GaaS investment. I think Sony devs had a great eye for multiplayer games in the PS3 era which was perfect for people sick of COD and Halo. Warhawk, Resistance, MAG, KZ, Socom were all different and far better balanced than say CoD or Battlefield.

However, I have to agree with you. There is just too many GaaS games out right now and there just arent that many players who jump from game to game. Fortnite kids arent going to stop playing fornite and play Halo for example. We saw this earlier this year. COD sucked and people still bought it over BF 2042. Literally no one is playing BF 2042. Not even the BF hardcore players. They all went back to Warzone or older Battlefields. Destiny players only play destiny. PubG guys only play PubG. Who the fuck is going to play whatever Fuse ripoff Insomniac manages to come up with?

When factions comes out, I dont see it getting as big as Sony's investments warrants it to be. It's been 2 years since TLOU2 came out and the mp was in development way before that. Thats going to be another $100 million game. Are they going to put it out for free? Is it $70? Who is gonna pay $70 for factions?

GG is making one. Firesprite is making two. ND with Factions and now Insomniac. Thats 4 internal studios. All competing with their new partners Deviation Games (ex-cod guys), Firewalk games (Ex-bungie devs) and of course Bungie which is now under Sony. Forget CoD, Halo, Battlefield, Sony's own GaaS games are going to end up eating each other.

here is what I want. Focus on getting AAA next gen games out first and foremost. They are quite obviously struggling to get last gen games out in time. Get your house in order first and then you can expand into GaaS games all you want.

10+ GaaS seems like overkill to me, I bet 80% of them fail

Maybe Sony gets 1-2 that have some success, but far from guaranteed they’ll be anywhere near as popular as some right now

I suppose if they really do manage to capture a huge quality advantage over rivals, but ehhh, GaaS is fickle, it’s not always about quality tbh….

But if you make a quality SP game, that’s almost guaranteed a positive ROI

Sony focusing on 4-5, but investing big time into them, seems like a better play imho..

mansoor1980

961759.jpg

good to see positive replies for this franchise

Last edited:

RevGaming

You've made a very rash assumption and you should probably look up some of the changes they've been making.
What are you talking about? There's no pressure to play any multiplayer game each day. It's all in yall minds. I have never felt any pressure unless there's a battle pass. That's it.

March Climber

Gold Member
What are you talking about? There's no pressure to play any multiplayer game each day. It's all in yall minds. I have never felt any pressure unless there's a battle pass. That's it.
There's a misunderstanding happening between us. I'm specifically talking about this part that you've said:

I deleted multiplayer games for months and comeback like it's nothing. I can't do that with a sp game because I forget things about it.
And I've pointed out, depending on the multiplayer game, you can come back and everything will fill entirely different and new, same as SP games. Fortnite happens to be one of those games. It was about the fact that you can completely forget or feel alien to the game when coming back to both SP and MP games. I hope that clears things up.

At some point the GAAS stuff is a wasted investment.

As a single player gamer, I will buy the next hot thing whenever it comes out. I'm a reliable customer. It may take me a few weeks to beat, but I got my money's worth and I move on. This fits well with my schedule as I can fit in time here and there.

GaaS is just going to end up eating itself. There will be massive winners but a whole lot of losers. There's not enough time in the day for all of them to be successful. It seems like Sony wants to throw shit at the wall with as many GaaS titles as possible when I'd argue it makes more sense to go extremely big with just a few. Put a ton of money into developing something like Destiny for instance rather than tacking on an MP component to a game.
You know alot of single player games fail to right? GAAS can retain itself on a few core players but a single player game needs to be low budget or high sales to really be a success...from a business perspective. A game like Hollow Knight can do well off a few million sales due to its budget, horizon needs to sell well beyond its budget to be seen as a success.

Calverz

Finally Sony are working towards more multiplayer games. Can’t wait to see what they come up with.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I can barely contain the enthusiasm...

Is there any remaining big sony studio that is only doing single player stuff right now?

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
At some point the GAAS stuff is a wasted investment.

As a single player gamer, I will buy the next hot thing whenever it comes out. I'm a reliable customer. It may take me a few weeks to beat, but I got my money's worth and I move on. This fits well with my schedule as I can fit in time here and there.

GaaS is just going to end up eating itself. There will be massive winners but a whole lot of losers. There's not enough time in the day for all of them to be successful. It seems like Sony wants to throw shit at the wall with as many GaaS titles as possible when I'd argue it makes more sense to go extremely big with just a few. Put a ton of money into developing something like Destiny for instance rather than tacking on an MP component to a game.
It does feel like a lot of people only play one or two of these types of games for extended periods.

However, it's important for a platform holder to diversify its portfolio, and having multiplayer elements in their games will help widen appeal because it's not as if single-player games are going anywhere (GoW Ragnorak, Spiderman, Wolverine, Horizon Call of the Mountain, FF16 exclusivity, next FROM exclusive etc).

RevGaming

And I've pointed out, depending on the multiplayer game, you can come back and everything will fill entirely different and new, same as SP games.
No they don't.
Fortnite happens to be one of those games.
No. It's the same game with a few items rotating.
It was about the fact that you can completely forget or feel alien to the game when coming back to both SP and MP games.
Not really.
I hope that clears things up.
It did, but I disagree hehe.

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
No they don't.

No. It's the same game with a few items rotating.
It's difficult to have a conversation with someone who doesn't even do a simple google, so I'll stop the back and forth between us after this post. If you think Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 2 is the exact same as Chapter 2 Season 2 and Chapter 1 Season 2, then you haven't played the game, and I'm not talking about the core mechanics. The building and shooting controls will always be the same(The same way how core controls don't change when you come back to a single player game too), it's everything else around it that's constantly changing. That's what is being discussed. People come back to a gaas multiplayer game feeling lost and out of touch. Yes, it actually happens, and it gives them a very similar feeling to coming back to a single player game and seeing a full quest log while you're mid-dungeon questioning why you were even there in the first place.

RevGaming

It's difficult to have a conversation with someone who doesn't even do a simple google, so I'll stop the back and forth between us after this post. If you think Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 2 is the exact same as Chapter 2 Season 2 and Chapter 1 Season 2, then you haven't played the game,
Never said the exact same, but it's not that different that you can't comeback to it without problems.
and I'm not talking about the core mechanics. The building and shooting controls will always be the same(The same way how core controls don't change when you come back to a single player game too), it's everything else around it that's constantly changing. That's what is being discussed. People come back to a gaas multiplayer game feeling lost and out of touch. Yes, it actually happens, and it gives them a very similar feeling to coming back to a single player game and seeing a full quest log while you're mid-dungeon questioning why you were even there in the first place.
Coming back to a single player game months later is worse vs mp games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Previously, we found out that Insomniac Games is working on a multiplayer project, but a recent job listing for an Art Director position revealed more about this unannounced title.

According to the job descriptions, Insomniac Games is looking for an Art Director who “can account for art direction within a multiplayer environment,” and “assists in pre-production planning and new IP development with creative directors.”

Further in the post, it has been mentioned in the job requirements that Insomniac Games is looking for someone with “experience in shipping at least one AAA game with a multiplayer component, or a demonstrable understanding of Art Direction for multiplayer games.”

These clues lead us to the fact that Insomniac Games is either working on a multiplayer project or a game that has a bold multiplayer section. More importantly, this is going to be a brand new IP as the descriptions reveal, and it’s still in the pre-production stage.

PaintTinJr

PlayStation needs a high profile karting game IMO and hopefully that's what they are working on as a multiplayer game.

A remake of Bomberman Kart with all the original music and gameplay mechanics would be awesome - if they could license the IP - or a rebooted modnation racers with less skill tree takedowns and more simplified mechanics with a high and very long learning curve like MK, would do the trick. Or something new... Thundercats Thundera Karts to keep with their super-heroes/comicbook license angle as a new karting IP could work.

Zeroing

Banned
I don't think I'd want them to be overworked tbh. I really want to see what the other studios have been working on.
They aren’t being overworked, their team expanded! Also some studios outsource little things, happened with housemarque!

About the other studios! London studio is doing VR, Pixel Opus new game is a big leap compared to what they done previously! Guerilla is now focusing on their other game, bend studio is in a bit of a conundrum. Media molecule is busy porting things and they are super creative so that takes time, actually doing new IPs take longer time…

ParaSeoul

They aren’t being overworked, their team expanded! Also some studios outsource little things, happened with housemarque!

About the other studios! London studio is doing VR, Pixel Opus new game is a big leap compared to what they done previously! Guerilla is now focusing on their other game, bend studio is in a bit of a conundrum. Media molecule is busy porting things and they are super creative so that takes time, actually doing new IPs take longer time…
Thats good. Was getting worried there.

Zeroing

Banned
Thats good. Was getting worried there.
I told about this stuff 3 months ago!! But people only believe it when it’s on twitter!

I also told numerous times Sony had stopped showing games they aren’t certain of the release date! Also there’s a reason why some studios are more quiet than others… it’s called “surprise”

ParaSeoul

I told about this stuff 3 months ago!! But people only believe it when it’s on twitter!

I also told numerous times Sony had stopped showing games they aren’t certain of the release date! Also there’s a reason why some studios are more quiet than others… it’s called “surprise”
Nah I knew studios had to be working on something. Didn't hear about Insomniac expanding though.

Top Bottom