• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Insomniac Documents Could Suggest a Spider-Verse Game is in Development

spider-verse.jpg

Leaked documents from an Insomniac Games ransomware attack could suggest that the developers are working on a new Spider-Verse game.

The ransomware attack was confirmed by Sony, which confirmed that sensitive employee information was compromised.

As well as the employee information, new images of Marvel’s Wolverine also leaked online, in addition to some references about upcoming projects.
Spotted by Reddit user /u/sut345, three of these yet-to-be-announced projects are RCE, Spider-Man 3, and Spider-Verse.

It’s already known that Insomniac is working on a multiplayer project, which has led fans to speculate that it could be the Spider-Verse project.

“I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Insomniac’s multiplayer game is a Spider-Verse game where you get to create your own Spider character. Full suit customization, select what powers you want,” said Reddit user /u/poklane.

Marvel’s Wolverine is set to be Insomniac Games’ next project, scheduled to release in 2024.

It’s unclear when we’ll next hear about the studio’s next titles, but a multiplayer Spider-Verse game could be great if done correctly.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I had this brilliant idea for a game. It's called Spiderman 4. It's basically a prettier version of Spiderman 3, Spiderman 2, Miles Morales, and 2018 Spiderman. You need a new story of course, perhaps Lex Luthor is the bad guy this time...maybe he's about to get his hands on a superweapon or something and Spiderman has to stop him. I want the graphics to be really nice. Spiderman shoots his webs.

Who's in?

If that one succeeds, I've been kicking around an idea for another game that y'all might like. Top secret right now though.

Last edited:

NEbeast

I had this brilliant idea for a game. It's called Spiderman 4. It's basically a prettier version of Spiderman 3, Spiderman 2, Miles Morales, and 2018 Spiderman. You need a new story of course, perhaps Lex Luthor is the bad guy this time...maybe he's about to get his hands on a superweapon or something and Spiderman has to stop him. I want the graphics to be really nice. Spiderman shoots his webs.

Who's in?

If that one succeeds, I've been kicking around an idea for another game that y'all might like. Top secret right now though.
zzzzz GIF

//DEVIL//

They bought the studio just to make spider man games...

for the past 10 years ? all we getting is spider man. gow , last of the banana, horizon fat bitch.

how much boring this has to be ?

Where is Wipe out. Twisted Metal , Kinetica, Warhawk, Destruction Derby, Ape Escape, Killzone, Jax and daxter, Resistance, Motorstorm, Syphon filter and much more ?

Nope. another spider man. another alloy, another kratos.

Mr Moose

for the past 10 years ? all we getting is spider man. gow , last of the banana, horizon fat bitch.

Where is Wipe out. Twisted Metal , Kinetica, Warhawk, Destruction Derby, Ape Escape, Killzone, Jax and daxter, Resistance, Motorstorm, Syphon filter and much more ?

Looks like we are getting another ratchet and clank, cool I guess, wanted a new ip, but hopefully its much better then the last 2 entries, they need change up the gameplay, it’s getting a bit stale now.

Beechos

Woohoo gaas spiderman here we go!!! I guess this can turn out to be what gotham knights and suicide squad done right. A game where a bunch of different spider people can all fight crime together.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Sony's first big seller is Gran Turismo, so going forward that franchise is the only thing PD makes. They even tried branching out to that motorcycle game and immediately went back to GT

The second biggie is GOW, same thing. Only thing SSM makes.

The reason why you listed a ton of dormant franchises is because the rest of their games never sold well. They shotgunned so many games and some were hit and miss, they never focused.

But once games like UC, TLOU, Horizon, Spiderman were giant hits, now those studios practically focused entirely on those franchises. Its so focused on specific franchises that even a great IP like UC which gets great reviews and sales doesn't even get a sequel since TLOU is bigger.

Nintendo found their Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kart long time ago. MS found their Halo, Forza, Gears pillars. Sony needed extra time to find more keystone franchises to go with GT and GOW. Now they got them. Sony promoting all their games and genres was PR since they did it needing to find which other IPs can be cornerstone sales generators. Now that they got 5-6 big names, the rest of the IPs are dust collectors (not needed anymore).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony's first big seller is Gran Turismo, so going forward that franchise is the only thing PD makes. They even tried branching out to that motorcycle game and immediately went back to GT

The second biggie is GOW, same thing. Only thing SSM makes.

The reason why you listed a ton of dormant franchises is because the rest of their games never sold well. They shotgunned so many games and some were hit and miss, they never focused.

But once games like UC, TLOU, Horizon, Spiderman were giant hits, now those studios practically focused entirely on those franchises. Its so focused on specific franchises that even a great IP like UC which gets great reviews and sales doesn't even get a sequel since TLOU is bigger.

Nintendo found their Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kart long time ago. MS found their Halo, Forza, Gears pillars. Sony needed extra time to find more keystone franchises to go with GT and GOW. Now they got them. Sony promoting all their games and genres was PR since they did it needing to find which other IPs can be cornerstone sales generators. Now that they got 5-6 big names, the rest of the IPs are dust collectors (not needed anymore).

And the list keeps getting bigger. They now have Ghost of Tsuimha and possibly Wolverine too!

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member

Not even as bad as them milking the hell out of Ape Escape from 2004 to 2008.
Also, we're getting Astro Bot, Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Helldivers, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade all through this gen.

//DEVIL//

Not even as bad as them milking the hell out of Ape Escape from 2004 to 2008.
Also, we're getting Astro Bot, Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Helldivers, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade all through this gen.
Death standing. Rise of ronin and some other games you mentioned are not 1st party games.

Sony in general have better exclusives than both MS and Nintendo combined but not because of their first party games. Because of their 3rd party exclusives. Stuff like final fantasy and death standing .

I want to see more bold Sony. Twisted metal was a hit.even the series did well. Where is the game ? Hell a remake of twisted metal 2 is fine by me

LQX

This could end up amazing as they could potentially introduce many different incarnations of Spider-Man that are not just a suit swaps.

nial

Gold Member
Death standing. Rise of ronin and some other games you mentioned are not 1st party games.
Yes, they are. But going by your logic, if it isn't first-party because it's not made in-house, why even bring up Twisted Metal, Warhawk (the original one was made by SingleTrac), Resistance and Destruction Derby?

Last edited:
I want to see more bold Sony. Twisted metal was a hit.even the series did well. Where is the game ? Hell a remake of twisted metal 2 is fine by me
Now, I agree with you.
The PS3 gen was peak Sony. Hell, Twisted Metal Remake for PS3 was great, they fucked up the online, unfortunately. It was impossible to find others most of the time. However, on the rare occasions when you did find other players, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Trilobit

Woah! This is going to look so good if they nail the Spider-verse look and feel. Well, maybe not the framerate of the movie.

I hope we get Noir sections with great stealth.

Sushi_Combo

Unless you like those games, then there's loads to look forward to (which includes me)
More power to those who are excited, that's great. Unfortunately for some we'll not get anymore IP's that were once previously available. Insomniac is sitting on a goldmine of them which is kind of a travesty.

Last edited:

midnightAI

More power to those who are excited, that's great. Unfortunately for some we'll not get anymore IP's that were once previously available. Insomniac is sitting on a goldmine of them which is kind of a travesty.
While I'd like to see another Resistance, what else?

If the art style matches up then I'd be there day one.
This is Insomniac trying to emulate the Spider-Verse art style in 2023 (mild spoilers for collecting all the Spider-Bot collectibles):

It looks so fucking bad that I was convinced it was a visual bug, only for people to tell me that no, it's 100% intentional.

I suppose there's plenty of time to work on it but they've got a LONG way to go.

Mr Moose

This is Insomniac trying to emulate the Spider-Verse art style in 2023 (mild spoilers for collecting all the Spider-Bot collectibles):

It looks so fucking bad that I was convinced it was a visual bug, only for people to tell me that no, it's 100% intentional.

I suppose there's plenty of time to work on it but they've got a LONG way to go.

ProtoByte

A Spider-Verse game would not sell or be very good, especially as a multiplayer project.

That said, I'm not offended by Insomnjac doing more licensed stuff, as long as it's single player. Some of you guys are pretending like Insomniac hasn't spent most of its existence doing Ratchet and Clank games with the odd new IP here and there.

Plus, until they get a creative attitude readjustment away from happy go lucky kumbaya wokeness, I don't think a new IP from them with no anchors would be very appealing. They're set to destroy their Spider-Man momentum as is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom