• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[INSOMNIAC LEAK] PlayStation Studios PC ports sales figures for Steam have leaked

Fabieter

Next year will be 4 years since they started porting on PC.

PS5 is breaking records, Sony is releasing exclusives every years and their games still look gorgeous and run beautifully on console.

How many more years will you use this broken argument?

Pls do you think every decision has an immediate effect on the market. They are pretty safe in this generation. If there is no shift of console sales, game sales and subs by the time the next generation comes out than you might have a point.

Mowcno

They're games released 2+ years late on PC. Of course they aren't going to sell anywhere near what they do on PlayStation. People are buying a PS5 to play them which is why PS5 hardware isn't tanking like Xbox since they put their games day one on pc.

The cost to port these PlayStation games to PC is drastically smaller than the cost to develop a game. I am sure they're all profitable.

The date at the bottom right is a typo. This is apparently sales as of February 2023.

PC games for Sony are some extra income after the games potential to move console hardware is mostly gone and it's seemingly profitable enough for them to continue.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Next year will be 4 years since they started porting on PC.

PS5 is breaking records, Sony is releasing exclusives every years and their games still look gorgeous and run beautifully on console.

How many more years will you use this broken argument?
Ps5 is only breaking records because Xbox sucks ass and everyone got a switch already. Sony barely doing anything well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So what are the budgets of these ports? The resources it takes away from playstation projects. We do know what santa monica did a good part of the port themselve almost 2 for almost 2 years. Does it delay other games on Playstation which might sell like 10 to 15m? It seems you don't know anything about opportunity costs but don't worry I met alot of pc gamers who are financially uneducated.

It might be worth it for sony but we don't know what their actual plan is they might just set up the framework for a time where consoles aint "worth it" anymore who knows.

@me again pls
The porting costs of these are negligible and much of the work is done along side the PS version. Nvidia often uses these titles to showcase their tech, which helps offset the very minor porting costs. They’re clearly making profit as they just announced Forbidden West is coming to PC, so there’s your fucking answer as to opportunity cost.

I come at you and just beat your ass down. Please let me do it again.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ps5 is only breaking records because Xbox sucks ass and everyone got a switch already. Sony barely doing anything well.
Oh they’re clearly barely anything well. Outselling the competition by 3:1 and exceeding previous sales records. Just released an audience and critically acclaimed AAA game. Yeah..,they’re clearly doing barely anything well which is pretty funny coming from a guy with a Gears of War avatar, a brand associated with a company who only knows how to run things into the ground and buy up studios.

Midn1ght

Pls do you think every decision has an immediate effect on the market. They are pretty safe in this generation. If there is no shift of console sales, game sales and subs by the time the next generation comes out than you might have a point.
If they start releasing day and date, I'd be willing to wait for long term effect, though even there I don't think it would impact console sales one bit. PC gamer and console gamer are 2 different market, with current GPU prices I can't see a mass exodus of console players going PC happening. Even if PC was cheap, console players like their console experience, you won't see them jump ship unless Sony completely fucked up like Xbox did.

But here, porting 2 years old games that already exhausted their sale power on console have literally zero effect on their console market. Not now, not in 10 years. They prioritize the console and use PC for easy extra money. Look, as popular and as beautiful Sony's first party games are, some of them still have low sales on console (Sackboy, Returnal, Ratchet). And these games aren't cheap to make.

The extra money they get from PC is welcome, easy and will actually push some impatient PC gamer to go grab a PS5 to play the latest sequel if they enjoyed the previous game on PC.

It's all good.

Last edited:

tusharngf

Alot of my steamfriends play literally nothing else but unfinished unoptimized survival games which are also mostly the same. So sadly sales and quality don't always go hand in hand.
One of my friend only played God of war for 5hrs but he got 200hrs into don't starve. I played don't starve and it gets better every single day when you learn new ways to survive. My point is cinematic games don't provide any new experiences nowadays.

Godot25

Banned
That graph is strange.
It states that tracked period is until june 2022, but several of those games launched after that period.
It's probably typo and they meant june 2023.

Senua

Gold Member
Well I'm not seeing the point if the consensus is that sales are low and a bunch of unfinished Survival-Craft games are "more interesting experiences".

Might as well leave the games on a platform where they will get purchased and appreciated.
But you seem to ignore the fact these games would sell a lot better if they weren't full price.

Midn1ght

In my view, when it comes to games, nothing has changed.
They still release beautiful looking, optimized big AAA single player experience that sell like hotcakes every time.

What negative points are you talking about? Price increase? GAAS push? Canceled games? Shit subscription offering?

How is that PC's fault?

Last edited:

Sentenza

You do know that some here will also be shareholders right?
1- I doubt that's typically the case when these freaks whine about it, generally speaking. It's just fanboy-ish behavior.
2- I wouldn't give a fuck, regardless.
3- "Diminishing the pull of the console" doesn't necessarily mean Sony making less money, to begin with. In fact. the more these PC releases would manage to grow and "diminish the pull of the console", the more it would implicitly mean that Sony is making MORE money on the platform.

Last edited:

Mowcno

That graph is strange.
It states that tracked period is until june 2022, but several of those games launched after that period.
Yeah a typo. It's Feb 2023. You can tell by the dates they give for the games that they're using that date format. (And they state 6 months of sales for Spiderman)

Midn1ght

That graph is strange.
Pre-order numbers maybe? Expected sales?

Though again, these are coming from a leak, we have to be careful about what's real and what's not.
I mean, they have a graph with Spiderman 3 and Wolverine cost and profit. Weird.

GHG

Gold Member
But you seem to ignore the fact these games would sell a lot better if they weren't full price.

They go on sale, frequently. They are also available on 3rd party key stores (which isn't included in this data).

But I don't understand why you're now turning to price when you were previously making the suggestion that the games aren't really worth it.

Topher

Gold Member
I would have expected Spider-man to have sold a lot more, honestly.

The games are also on EGS and probably not included here.
We also know that games have longer legs on PC, they'll keep selling their entire catalogue 10 years from now. On console, they'll just sell you another remaster for 80 USD.

Like I said, they've released 10 games so far and probably made close to half a billion in profit without hurting the PS5 numbers one bit.
Basically funding 2 AAA games with low effort and late releases that nobody buys anymore on console. Easy money.

Forbidden West is coming and we know Demon's Souls and Tsushima are on the way, so yeah, not gonna stop anytime soon.

Edit: Saw this on the other place. LOL

2.6m to port Ratchet.
Just an email to get funded.

terminator 2 money GIF

It's really a no-brainer. Dev costs are minimal. Sales are not massive, but the profit margin is huge.

Day one sales or don't bother.

I wish but they are not going to compete with their own platform day one.

Senua

Gold Member
They go on sale, frequently. They are also available on 3rd party key stores (which isn't included in this data).

But I don't understand why you're now turning to price when you were previously making the suggestion that the games aren't really worth it.
But they are intertwined, the price makes them not as worth a punt to the average PC gamer who doesn't play these type of games. My opinion on HZD as a game is irrelevant I don't enjoy survival games either but they sell like hotcakes for a reason. The reason for the low sales numbers are a mix of a foreign audience and bad pricing. You have to entice a new audience in, not make them roll their eyes at full price ports.

Btw yes they are on sale later down on the line but most forget about them by that point. People are fickle. I still believe Sony is happy with the profits being made on PC and they will continue to be made.

Release them day 1 with PS5 and I think they'll be surprised at how much better they sell. Most people that want to play those games will already have done so on PS4/PS5. Also haven't they had a couple of really shit ports? I remember TLOU being fucking dreadful.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Are people joking? These sales figures are pretty damn good.

3.3M for HZD, a game that was over 3-years old when it came to PC. 2.5M for GOW?

Digital Foundry: When did the porting process begin? And who is working on it, Sony Santa Monica, as well as Jetpack?

So, we've actually been working on this for a while, but it started kind of slow to begin with. It just started as like, "Hey, can we even do this? Do we have the technical expertise? How do we work together? blah, blah, blah." So, there's a lot of interstitial work that needs to happen just to figure that out. It's probably been about two years of total work, but with a very small crew - there's a team of four at Jetpack that have been doing the primary engineering efforts. And they're almost all engineering efforts, there's been a little bit of assistance from internal, just where things are,

A team of four guys ported GOW over 2 years with a little help. The port likely cost them less than 3M and they probably brought in over $50M. HZD was a return of investment of 250% within like a month. What the fuck were people expecting lol?

Sony was assessing the interest with those ports. They'll continue porting GOW, Horizon, Spider-Man, and whatever Sony Bend does next. Ghost of Tsushima will also do very well I would guess. Sackboy was bound to be a flop so no surprise there. Uncharted 4 is meh but 4th entry in the series. You either port 1-3 or don't bother.

Were you expecting those old games to sell 10M?

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Are people joking? These sales figures are pretty damn good.

3.3M for HZD, a game that was over 3-years old when it came to PC. 2.7M for GOW?

A team of four guys ported GOW over 2 years with a little help. The port likely cost them less than 3M and they probably brought in close over $50M. What the fuck were people expecting lol?

Sony was assessing the interest with those ports. They'll continue porting GOW, Horizon, Spider-Man, and whatever Sony Bend does next. Ghost of Tsushima will also do very well I would guess. Sackboy was bound to be a flop so no surprise there. Uncharted 4 is meh but 4th entry in the series. You either port 1-3 or don't bother.

Were you expecting those old games to sell 10M?
People are used to seeing PS4/5 numbers, they don't realise or care how little these ports cost to make. But they DO care about brand devaluation or whatever other fanboy drivel they spout. The profit margins are huge at full price indeed.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Several million for a game that that has been out for a few years isn't bad. Uncharted doesn't even have the first three games on PC. Not sure what people were expecting.

Hopefully those that claim that this is hurting PS5 sales can shut up about it. The only people that are buying these are the double dippers and those that will never buy a console.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
People are used to seeing PS4/5 numbers, they don't realise or care how little these ports cost to make. But they DO care about brand devaluation or whatever other fanboy drive they spout. The profit margins are huge at full price indeed.
I'm surprised how utterly retarded some of these comments are. Sony's strategy is to squeeze out the last couple of sales available on PC because they know (and want) 90% of them will be on Playstation...hence why they wait 2 years to release them on PC. I was actually expecting worse numbers for most of them. Well, except for Sackboy but this also flopped on Playstation and there was no way it was doing well on PC.

I got the feelings with these numbers that ports aren't stopping. If anything, Sony might pour in more money to get higher quality ports out the door. They will be more selective, however. Horizon released in a rough state after all.

Last edited:

Fabieter

1- I doubt that's typically the case when these freaks whine about it, generally speaking. It's just fanboy-ish behavior.
2- I wouldn't give a fuck, regardless.
3- "Diminishing the pull of the console" doesn't necessarily mean Sony making less money, to begin with. In fact. the more these PC releases would manage to grow and "diminish the pull of the console", the more it would implicitly mean that Sony is making MORE money on the platform.

Well 1. Most of them probably ain't, just saying that there is good reason to care.
2. You aint investing in anything aint you?
3. I would agree if sony would make their own launcher so anyone pulled away to pc could still buy third partys on their store. That's not the case with releasing on steam and epic game store.

One of my friend only played God of war for 5hrs but he got 200hrs into don't starve. I played don't starve and it gets better every single day when you learn new ways to survive. My point is cinematic games don't provide any new experiences nowadays.

Well that's okay different people like different things. I love the touhou project shoot em ups, I doubt alot of people are on the page than that.

If they start releasing day and date, I'd be willing to wait for long term effect, though even there I don't think it would impact console sales one bit. PC gamer and Console gamer are 2 different market, with current GPU prices I can't see a mass exodus of console players going PC happening. Even if PC was cheap, console players like their console experience, you won't see them jump ship unless Sony completely fucked up like Xbox did.

But here, porting 2 years old games that already exhausted their sale power on console have literally zero effect on their console market. Not now, not in 10 years. They prioritize the console and use PC for easy extra money. Look, as popular and as beautiful Sony's first party games are, some of them still have low sales on console (Sackboy, Returnal, Ratchet). And these games aren't cheap to make.

The extra money they get from PC is welcome, easy and will actually push some impatient PC gamer to go grab a PS5 to play the latest sequel if they enjoyed the previous game on PC.

It's all good.

Well to say that day and date won't have any effect on consoles shoes you aint arguing in good faith here. Sony definitely disagree with you here or else they would announce all future exclusives coming day and date like Microsoft did a few years back.

It's hard to say if current strategy will have a longlasting impact but to say it has to be in the first 4 years isnt right.

DavidGzz

As someone on Neogaf once wrote eloquently - the most beautiful girl in a small town moved to a big city and wondered why no-one noticed her.

More like small town girl went through so many dicks that she was no longer desirable, and her pimp(marketing) didn't try as hard to make us aware of her presence. Launching at day 1 prices is also not going to hook PC gamers who can buy similar games for a fraction of the cost.

Also, Sony releases bangers but they are one and done affairs. I usually double dip if a game has a lot of replay. Something Like Elden Ring or GTA6 will have me buying them time and time again. Spiderman and GoW, not so much.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Well to say that day and date won't have any effect on consoles shoes you aint arguing in good faith here. Sony definitely disagree with you here or else they would announce all future exclusives coming day and date like Microsoft did a few years back.

It's hard to say if current strategy will have a longlasting impact but to say it has to be in the first 4 years isnt right.
I think that releasing their games on console first is the correct strategy for them. A Sony first party game release is an event, sell a ton and drive people toward the console so I'm not mad at it.

Day and date not significantly hurting the console business is my personal opinion, big third party studios like CD Projekt Red or From Software still find success releasing everywhere simultaneously and usually pushes people to buy consoles as well. But again, with how successful Sony's console is, I think their strategy is on point.

Fabieter

People are used to seeing PS4/5 numbers, they don't realise or care how little these ports cost to make. But they DO care about brand devaluation or whatever other fanboy drivel they spout. The profit margins are huge at full price indeed.

Do you have a source for the port costs including QA?

yurinka

Looks... Fake? Date range is wrong. Why write all over it with pointers? Why would Insomniac have this?
Not sure if fake or not, the format isn't a standard one seen in other documents.

But looking doing the Steam reviews x25 estimate the numbers seem to match more or less as they were around February, when this document says it was made. The exception is Horizon because the estimation says around 2.6M sales, but the other ones are realistic.

The idea of the comparison graph is that Spider-Man sold in 6 months almost the same than Days Gone did in 1.5 years. And that since Horizon, GoW and Days Gone are having legs, Spider-Man will end selling more than the other 3.

In fact, as of today, with around 15 months instead of 6, Spider-Man should be around over 2M looking at Steam reviews and Morales around 730K.

Well in that case I guess they can stop porting the games to PC and nobody will complain right?
It was a stupid strategy. These games don’t sell on pc. Stop wasting time and resources. Move on.

If they'd quit, it would be SIE/Sony heads who would complain, since this is a highly profitable business for them with very low risk. Each one of these games already generated most of the money it could on PS, and the work of a few guys during a few months it generates several extra millions of dollars, over 100M each in the case of the best selling ones. Remember that these sales are mostly full priced, with a small number of not very aggresive discounts.

Combined, PC ports give them hundreds of millions in profit per year and their revenue is growing fast year after year.

And if this other supposedly leaked image is real (I assume it's a chart for the first year of PS sales for each game), the PC port alone of Spider-Man Remastered already generated enough money to cover these (development) costs.
Kmzm2T9.jpeg

Last edited:

Astray

Those PC sales are extremely high margin, because they require minimal investment apart from porting costs, no significant marketing campaigns etc etc.

The biggest cost here is probably the Steam cut. Thus I predict Sony will continue with this strategy.

Denton

I bought all sony PC games on third party stores (mostly GMG and fanatical) so my purchases are not even counted in this, smh

Fabieter

Nope, but Sony wouldn't continue to make these ports if they didn't turn a nice profit. It's win win for Sony, only it's hardcore fans have a problem with it, for whatever reason.

Without knowing what their pc strategy is? Maybe profits are tiny but they have pc for their longterm strategy. Set all the framework and be more aggressive on pc in the future we don't know. Saying they don't immediately stop so it must be highly profitable is jumping to conclusions.

Pedro Motta

What these numbers tell me is: PC players understood what they were missing on Playstation and went and got a PS5. The more releases Sony does, more PC players are converting over time.

Thats why PS5 will beat the PS2 sales record.

Not true story, I'm kidding obviously.

T-Cake

I have the PS5 but won't be buying brand new games on it, it's basically just a PS+ machine. So if I find a game that is good on PS+, then I'll generally hop over to Steam and buy it on there. This holiday I will be looking to pick up several PS Studios games like Sackboy, The Last of Us. But it's just a case of them being priced too high for "old" releases, we all know PC gamers like to spend, spend, spend on their rigs but scrimp, scrimp, scrimp on the games. :D

They really should have ported Bloodborne instead of a bunch of games only the five or so PC gamers who hang out on console boards asked for.

Top Bottom