• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: We heard you've been hungry for Marvel's Spider-Man 2 screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlDan

more than the graphics is the same animations, very similar gameplay... me and (and from the looks of it) most people were expecting to be amazed.
can you tell me what's the same about the gameplay? other than maybe the dodging, zipping towards enemies, and finishers?

Did you have symbiote powers in the last game that im forgetting? Were you able to pin someone on a wall and rapid kick them? Did you have chain lightning in the last game? Manual web lines? Web grabber? swapping between both spideys whenever you want with separate talent trees and abilities?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Why would anyone be hungry for screenshots of the gameplay trailer that everyone has already watched??

You should ask the people on twitter who've been hounding Insomniac and asking silly questions about whether the gameplay trailer was the final build.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I mean you and I just marveled over the leap GG made with HFW despite running on the same gen. Insomniac was afforded the opportunity to make a next gen only game. Given 5 years. And they produced a game with the same QTEs, same combat, same visuals and no real innovation.

I was the one impressed by FW, you were the one complaining about it not looking next gen enough because it’s cross gen

Insomniac is a talented studio but GG has always had a much higher focus on visuals.

Insomniac was not given 5 years. That’s not how production works. Small team worked on it since 2018. Vast majority of production staff works towards delivering their immediate next term project (ratchet or miles).

Once ratchet released, the production staff moved over to help SM2. Confirmed to me by an Insomniac dev I know.

There’s plenty of new stuff shown in the footage. Faster traversal, new glide suit, new Miles powers. New Symbiote suit.

Looks just as substantial as most iterative sequels anyhow. If you want them to make 95+ metacritic games instead of high 80s metacritic games, then you want them to spend 5-6 years of mostly full production. You can’t have 2-3 year releases between multiple games

You want to have your cake and eat it too. 2-3 years between releases, fully next gen
Visuals (whatever that means), and 95 meta. Sure, Jan. Not possible

Last edited:

Alebrije

looks cool, I dont understand the complaints around the graphics at all

looking forward to the release
Look as bad as the trailer. Pretty obvious these are the graphics we'll be getting or else they wouldn't post these so soon after all the criticism.
giphy.webp

ChiefDada

Gold Member
can you tell me what's the same about the gameplay? other than maybe the dodging, zipping towards enemies, and finishers?

Did you have symbiote powers in the last game that im forgetting? Were you able to pin someone on a wall and rapid kick them? Did you have chain lightning in the last game? Manual web lines? Web grabber? swapping between both spideys whenever you want with separate talent trees and abilities?

Great point. After playing Miles Morales, Peter's gameplay felt rather slow and overall boring. His playstyle has been given a complete makeover, at least when he is donning the symbiote. It's possible he could end up being more fun to play with than Miles this time around.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Yep. They are given the oppurtunity time and time again to make GOTY caliber games and they take the easy way out. There is a reason why they havent won a GOTY or even ended up as runner ups. 2021 was going to be an easy win for everyone and they shipped a pretty underwhelming ratchet game that even ratchet fans were meh on. It Takes Two was last gen and had more innovation, more heart, more ingenious level design and ambition that all of Insomniac's previous games combined.

Thats not to say their games are bad. They are good. Just not great. Arkham series is Great. Arkham City is a GOTY caliber game. Spiderman, Sunset and Ratchet are just good. Nothing wrong with being good but I find it weird that they took 5 years to make this game and yet we are pretending that they are leagues ahead of everyone at Sony.

Arkham City is NOT a GOTY quality game

Spider-Man is better than any Arkham series game. You just like Batman more than you do Spider-Man

OCASM

Banned
I mean, since when does Insomniac do bullshots?
I remember some early Resistance 2 screenshots having photoshopped elements. It was even discovered here on GAF if I recall correctly.

Spiderman was remastered for ps5. There's nothing more next gen than Ray tracing... expecting another generational leap from that seems a bit ludicrous.
Adding next-gen tech on top of a game doesn't make it look next-gen. "Technological advances really need appropriate content":

Crayon

I don't think there's a better looking game this year considering that it's an open world and the light/backgrounds can't be set up just so outside of cinematics.

Anyway all this reminds me ot the first game coming out and how there was a bunch of people trying to convince everyone that the graphcs were actually not that good.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was the one impressed by FW, you were the one complaining about it not looking next gen enough because it’s cross gen

Insomniac is a talented studio but GG has always had a much higher focus on visuals.

Insomniac was not given 5 years. That’s not how production works. Small team worked on it since 2018. Vast majority of production staff works towards delivering their immediate next term project (ratchet or miles).

Once ratchet released, the production staff moved over to help SM2. Confirmed to me by an Insomniac dev I know.

There’s plenty of new stuff shown in the footage. Faster traversal, new glide suit, new Miles powers. New Symbiote suit.

Looks just as substantial as most iterative sequels anyhow. If you want them to make 95+ metacritic games instead of high 80s metacritic games, then you want them to spend 5-6 years of mostly full production. You can’t have 2-3 year releases between multiple games

You want to have your cake and eat it too. 2-3 years between releases, fully next gen
Visuals (whatever that means), and 95 meta. Sure, Jan. Not possible
I swear that you guys were jumping down my throat just last week when I said Sony shouldve given spiderman the full team for five years instead of splitting time between miles, ratchet and spiderman 2. This was literally last week. Now you are making excuses for this iterative sequel because it was done in 2 years?

This is Sonys premiere IP. Spiderman sold more than any sony IP in its first try. Some 35 million. They dont get to phone in. They dont get excuses. You all said that 5 years wait was necessary for them to release a true sequel when I said they shouldve shipped this in 2021. Literally last week. Now you are making excuses that 5 years isnt enough.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I swear that you guys were jumping down my throat just last week when I said Sony shouldve given spiderman the full team for five years instead of splitting time between miles, ratchet and spiderman 2. This was literally last week. Now you are making excuses for this iterative sequel because it was done in 2 years?

This is Sonys premiere IP. Spiderman sold more than any sony IP in its first try. Some 35 million. They dont get to phone in. They dont get excuses. You all said that 5 years wait was necessary for them to release a true sequel when I said they shouldve shipped this in 2021. Literally last week. Now you are making excuses that 5 years isnt enough.

And a few weeks before that you said that you wanted shorter games that took less long to develop, so which is it?

I don’t think SM2 is phoned in. It’s just as much of a sequel as GoWR, the fastest selling Sony exclusive ever that was also a safe sequel (but not phoned in).

I don’t think you’re gonna get visuals in open world games much better than HFW or SM2

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And a few weeks before that you said that you wanted shorter games that took less long to develop, so which is it?

I don’t think SM2 is phoned in. It’s just as much of a sequel as GoWR, the fastest selling Sony exclusive ever that was also a safe sequel (but not phoned in).

I don’t think you’re gonna get visuals in open world games much better than HFW or SM2
Shorter games that still push boundries. I dont even care about graphics as long as they push gameplay systems, physics and give me something innovative and ambitious. its why I am so enamored with zelda right now.

They have failed to deliver on visuals and gameplay. And thats ok. The game will still be good. The studio can still call itself productive. I just dont want us hailing them as top tier devs because they chose to take the easy way out while everyone else is busting their ass trying to innovate or be ambitious.

Varteras

Gold Member
Shorter games that still push boundries. I dont even care about graphics as long as they push gameplay systems, physics and give me something innovative and ambitious. its why I am so enamored with zelda right now.

They have failed to deliver on visuals and gameplay. And thats ok. The game will still be good. The studio can still call itself productive. I just dont want us hailing them as top tier devs because they chose to take the easy way out while everyone else is busting their ass trying to innovate or be ambitious.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Well to me that game is just as safe as any of the others. The sandbox gameplay does nothing for me and usually the best solution is the easiest one. And all the creation stuff is copy and paste.

I would much rather have a traditional Zelda game with proper dungeons and actually good combat over the ability to make robot penis flame throwers. For all the time they spent on the game, it went to all the wrong areas.

I am absolutely fine with safe sequels. Next gen gameplay is just as farcical as next Gen visuals. RE4 plays better than most games out there. The gameplay of SM2 sees iterative improvements im excited about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom