• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instruments of Destruction - Release Date Trailer

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
capsule_616x353.jpg

Instruments of Destruction features an advanced physics-based destruction system. You can demolish every structure in the game piece by piece thanks to a fully interactive physics system, and every object in the world interacts with the destruction in some way.
The game also features an advanced GPU-driven particle system and GPU-driven grass and surface rocks. Each element of the world complements the destruction system and interacts with each other and together they create a physical, visceral world to play with.

steam_gif3.gif

Build a vehicle your way, with an ever-expanding array of parts and pieces. Using an intuitive vehicle construction system that also lets you customize your vehicles' appearance and controls, you'll always have fun creating your next awesome invention.
From simple splitters and joints to fully-simulated treads and ropes, a large variety of parts are available to start the game, while more advanced parts (like giant chainsaws and rocket thrusters) unlock by playing the game.
Each new part unlocks countless new possibilities, and you'll also unlock numerous pre-built vehicles that highlight the unlocked parts and provide inspiration for further experimentation.

steam_gif1.gif

While some vehicles will perform better than others in accomplishing your objectives, it's always a bit more fun to get creative and go a little off script.
Optional bonus objectives and other hidden bonuses will reward more creative builders and add further replayability.
Each island features 3 modes of play (Normal, Challenge, and Expert), plus Sandbox mode lets you play with no limits and even more control over how the world behaves.

Also:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Yes please. edit: removed a line about it not having what made RF Guerrilla good. The collapse of the tower and bridge does look like it has the precomputed “fake” (more detailed but not real time) physics Guerrilla had. Or may be wrong about that and it’s just a favorable clip. Is there an interview about what they’re doing? Or is it just like how advanced Unreal physics is now or something

Last edited:

CamHostage

Yes please. edit: removed a line about it not having what made RF Guerrilla good. The collapse of the tower and bridge does look like it has the precomputed “fake” (more detailed but not real time) physics Guerrilla had. Or may be wrong about that and it’s just a favorable clip. Is there an interview about what they’re doing? Or is it just like how advanced Unreal physics is now or something

Funny you mention RF Guerrilla... Instruments of Destruction was made by Luke Schneider, the technical designer of Red Faction Guerrilla.

As far as conversation or a video feature discussing what this game is running and how it pulls off its physics, I haven't seen something like that yet, but Schneider talks on his blog about the development of the project. The Steam page also has some tech blog details. There's some decent info out there, as well as several long-running videos showing off play sessions which may clarify how the physics system works or doesn't work in actual gameplay rather than a cut-up trailer. (I believe it's an original engine, but either way, a quick no to your question above: when you read about it you'll find that this is not just like how advanced Unreal physics is now, even with today's phyics subsystems and much more powerful hardware than ever before, it still does take a lot of work and planning and testing to make this perform as such.)

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Cool, will have to look into that. I see he also made Overload, a descent clone which did not do too well. I bought it for VR but never got around to trying it out.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The game is out and it's super fun and impressive! The physics is really spectacular and works well.
I think I will like this game a lot more than Besiege and Teardown. It seems well optimized too: I'm on a laptop with a 2070, i7 9750H (6 cores 12 threads), 16Gb RAM and SSD I'm getting 40/50 FPS at max settings.

ruupM7.png
ruu7hr.png

And the dev seems really committed to improving the game and listening the community feedback.

rofif

Banned
Anyone played this? Gameplay looks really impressive but I am not sure a game like this can satisfy me after teardown

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Looks a fun game to me.

Instruments of Destruction is currently in early access on Steam, with the developer stating feedback from the community will directly influence future gameplay modes. There’s no more than five or six hours of content at present, but in addition to the aforementioned objective-focused gameplay there is a sandbox mode. Here is where my childlike creative desires are realised. Free from the constrains of objectives and budget, I’m back to crafting Lego towers on a whim without boundaries imposed by instruction manuals. There’s a ton of potential for replayability, with completed objectives unlocking more vehicle parts and demolition weapons, the only limit to your Instruments of Destruction will be your imagination.

Last edited:
Top Bottom