• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

internal email Starfield for PS5/XSX and PC but no next gen work done (possible PS4/One?)

Bernoulli

M2 slut
latest leak from FTC files
Does this mean the game was going to release for old gen but transitioned to current gen and they had to add next gen features?

rXKvQIH.jpg

xHunter

Project Omen sounds like Redfall? So pretty much confirms that they scraped the PS5 Version for both games. Tough day for the "there never was a PS5 version" crowd.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This actually shows the Starfield was primarily a last-gen console game. Xbox just did not release it on last-gen.

I think some of the design decisions, and the abundance of loading screens, now make sense. For example, The Division did not have vehicles (even though they wanted to add) because data streaming wasn't quick enough.
I mean, duh. It was in development for better part of the last decade, obviously it was originally built with last gen consoles in mind and once it became obvious that it's gonna be a next gen title then it was too late to streamline its core design.

I'm betting that the "next gen work" mentioned here is probably just graphical bells and whistles like DX12 features, better draw distance, higher NPC count, etc.

bender

What time is it?
Well there have been discussions here with disingenuous actors here whom stipulated it could always have been planned to be exclusive because it wasn't revealed prior to it's release. So much for that.

That's cold blooded.

japanese-wink.gif

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It was noted that Starfield was in dev for PS5 but it was droped per the accquistion. Perhaps this leak is from the time Microsoft had not yet announced their accquistion.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Aah.

Does this explain why Starfield feels quite old fashioned in lots of ways?

The old cross gen bullshit holding back games again, eh?

Last edited:

Mowcno

This document seems to be from 2020 or before as it is talking about "2020 titles" as if they haven't released yet. All this document says is that it is NOT planned to release on PS4/XBO and that development of the PS5/XSX versions had not begun yet. Not that PS4/XBO had ever been worked on.

It wouldn't be unusual if development had only taken place on PC and console ports hadn't begun at this early time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This actually shows the Starfield was primarily a last-gen console game. Xbox just did not release it on last-gen.

I think some of the design decisions, and the abundance of loading screens, now make sense. For example, The Division did not have vehicles (even though they wanted to add) because data streaming wasn't quick enough.

Dunno how you came to that conclusion, games that are cross-gen multi-plat (Quake 2 Remaster) have PS, Xbox on it. As does Omen, of which the last-gen version we can say more confidently was canceled.

Starfield specifically mentions PS5 and XBSX.

"No next gen work done yet" could simply mean they've only developed on PC as of the point of that file from 2020.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is a massive leak with so many separate topics, my god, lol.

I just said recently there is a real argument that Starfield coulda been a cross gen game.

Hibiki is HiFi Rush.

That puts to rest any speculation as to whether or not that was intended to be a multiplatform game.
Pretty much.

Whew.....looking back at some discussions in hindsight is hilarious right now.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Next gen = PS6/XB Series YZ so, still no work done with that version yet. They will milk the game like with Skyrim.

Top Bottom