• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet Explorer takes another step towards death as support for Microsoft 365 apps will end on 17 August, 2021.

Kadve

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...well-to-internet-explorer-11-and/ba-p/1591666

Today, we’re announcing that Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) by this time next year.

• Beginning November 30, 2020, the Microsoft Teams web app will no longer support IE 11.
  • Beginning August 17, 2021, the remaining Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer support IE 11.
This means that after the above dates, customers will have a degraded experience or will be unable to connect to Microsoft 365 apps and services on IE 11. For degraded experiences, new Microsoft 365 features will not be available or certain features may cease to work when accessing the app or service via IE 11. While we know this change will be difficult for some customers, we believe that customers will get the most out of Microsoft 365 when using the new Microsoft Edge. We are committed to helping make this transition as smooth as possible.

Customers have been using IE 11 since 2013 when the online environment was much less sophisticated than the landscape today. Since then, open web standards and newer browsers—like the new Microsoft Edge—have enabled better, more innovative online experiences. We believe that Microsoft 365 subscribers, in both consumer and commercial contexts, will be well served with this change through faster and more responsive web access to greater sets of features in everyday toolsets like Outlook, Teams, SharePoint, and more.

People seem to be mostly talking about how this is going to be hell for many business. There is still many systems that rely on IE support and IE only.

Not unlike how people reacted when they announced the end for Windows XP.

Last edited:

GHG

It needs to die today.

The day I can officially tell clients I no longer support it because Microsoft no longer support it is the day I go on a 48 hour bender. I'm at the stage where I charge a premium for guaranteed IE11 support but it's really not worth the hassle.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
People seem to be mostly talking about how this is going to be hell for many business. There is still many systems that rely on IE support and IE only.

But that's only a fraction of the businesses that will save countless hours wasted on trying to run on fundamentally broken platforms, which includes all pre-Chromium Edge iterations.

Pejo

My workplace uses IE heavily for Sharepoint integrations and several (government of course) websites that only work with IE.

Can I also talk bout how pissed I am at Edge real quick? That last feature update for Win10 basically shoved it down your fucking throat and the only way you can get out of it is Task Manager - End Task. That kind of shit really makes me mad.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The day I can officially tell clients I no longer support it because Microsoft no longer support it is the day I go on a 48 hour bender. I'm at the stage where I charge a premium for guaranteed IE11 support but it's really not worth the hassle.

Right there with you.

I work with schools, which is even worse. No wonder these kids aren't getting great educations, the teachers are spending chunks of their lessons wrestling with IE issues.

Top Bottom