• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet raises 100k+ to support Foster parent who only takes terminally ill children

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

This is the most heart warming news I could receive leading into the weekend. You have to read this story to believe it.

400x225

The children were going to die. Mohamed Bzeek knew that. But in his more than two decades as a foster father, he took them in anyway — the sickest of the sick in Los Angeles County’s sprawling foster care system.

He has buried about 10 children. Some died in his arms.

Now, Bzeek spends long days and sleepless nights caring for a bedridden 6-year-old foster girl with a rare brain defect. She’s blind and deaf. She has daily seizures. Her arms and legs are paralyzed.

The things he and his late wife sacrificed for their community is unbelievable:

through a mutual friend, he met a woman named Dawn, who would become his wife. She had become a foster parent in the early 1980s, before she met Bzeek. Her grandparents had been foster parents, and she was inspired by them, Bzeek said. Before she met Bzeek, she opened her home as an emergency shelter for foster children who needed immediate placement or who were placed in protective custody.

Dawn Bzeek fell in love with every child she took in. She took them to professional holiday photo sessions, and she organized Christmas gift donation drives for foster children.

She was funny, Bzeek said during a recent drive home from the hospital. She was absolutely terrified of spiders and bugs, so much that even Halloween decorations creeped her out — but she was never scared by the children’s illnesses or the possibility that she would die, Bzeek said.

The Bzeeks opened their Azusa home to dozens of children. They taught classes on foster parenting — and how to handle a child’s illness and death — at community colleges. Dawn Bzeek was such a highly regarded foster mother that her name appeared on statewide task forces for improving foster care alongside doctors and policymakers.

There's more about the girl with such a devastating brain condition he's currently caring for along with his biological son suffering from another physical disability but you guys should definitely give the article a full read. What a wonderful human being.

Full Article here:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-foster-father-sick-children-2017-story.html

One of the readers set up a GoFundMe after reading the article and the internet has already collectively raised more than 100k for Mohamed and his family.

Link to his GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/bzeek

NimbusD

Oh fuck. I completely forgot the internet can be a tool for these ridiculously nice things. Fucking hell Im tearing up.

Omadahl

Banned
This man is beyond saintly. Sometimes I smile and think, "I'm a good person for teaching," but I look like Satan compared to this man.

Jesus how could you do that? Literally living every parent's worst nightmare over and over again voluntarily. Gotta respect someone willing to torture themselves to give these kids homes.

Linkura

Awesome. I read about this story yesterday, but didn't hear about the gofundme. This dude is a hero and deserves every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom