• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2016 | A sever-ly hot summer

Pachimari

He know very well, that with the words he have been using, that hype would follow. Next time, he should probably think twice before teasing anything, if he is regretting it now.

awp69

Jade Empire

So the Bioware part was right...not so sure the hype was warranted though.

Played it on my original Xbox long ago. So yeah, it's much older than something like Mass Effect.

Swallowing that Xanax now...

Pachimari

Okay, the hype was fair in this case. This is what I want more of, ports of old games. And as I never got going with Jade Empire, I won't mind playing it on my iPad Pro. Very happy about this! Although we should get KOTOR2 at some point really.

heringer

I think it's a bit disappointing, but it could be worse. I'll probably be getting it tonight. Jade Empire is a fun game.

2643936-5929610004-Vladi.gif

My feelings at least.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
never played it before, actually seems like something i'd try

is it releasing on iPhones as well as iPads?

awp69

Considering we already have KOTOR, I wouldn't call another Bioware RPG "precedent setting"

Now Mass Effect 1 would have been a different story

Exactly. Not overly excited myself. But for those that never played it, I suppose it isn't bad. Definitely not setting a precedent.

hollomat

Banned
Would've preferred KOTOR 2 but actually very excited for Jade Empire.

I played through the game when it first came out and enjoyed it, but it's definitely the forgotten bioware game.

And as others have said, I wouldn't call it precedent setting by any means.

Li Kao

"massive game release that people are going to be super blown away by along with the precedent its release could set for the release of ...other similar games".

Shit, I was so wrong to wonder what the game could be basing my speculations on someone with so minimal a grasp on words and their meaning.
Totally letdown, but yeah, if you haven't played it, it's a minor classic.

Pachimari

Yeah, I agree it isn't setting a precedent. Also this does not sound good:

A combination of swipes and virtual buttons are used for the touch controls, which takes a little getting used to.

I'm still excited to start it up though, and it's Aspyr who did the port, so it's in good hands. Although I only recently bought Fahrenheit for iOS.

Also, the game is based on the PC special edition, so we get all of the extra stuff as well.

heringer

Not sure if the interface will be very good on iPhone, the combat is faster than KOTOR. Hopefully my iPad Mini 2 can handle it ok.

Pachimari

The user interface looks so damn busy, and include swiping, and I think we have a game with hard controls. It won't hold me back from trying it out on my iPad Pro, but I also already own the game on Steam.

awp69

Musgrave says it has additional content not in the original Xbox version from the PC port. So might pick it up.

But thinking I have enough on my plate for now. Had gotten Eisenhorn earlier this week and will likely pick up the Mr. Robot game, Deus Ex GO and probably Legend of Skyfish which looks promising.

Still feel like Eli was pretty off the rails saying it was a massive game that would set a precedent. Maybe he needs the Xanax. ;)

Pachimari

Musgrave says it has additional content not in the original Xbox version from the PC port. So might pick it up.

But thinking I have enough on my plate for now. Had gotten Eisenhorn earlier this week and will likely pick up the Mr. Robot game, Deus Ex GO and probably Legend of Skyfish which looks promising.

Still feel like Eli was pretty off the rails saying it was a massive game that would set a precedent. Maybe he needs the Xanax. ;)

Yes, as I wrote earlier, this is based on the special edition of the PC version. Which means more martial arts etc.

heringer

To be fair, it's a treat to people who never played. Jade Empire is kind of the forgotten Bioware game, but it's a game made at their peak. It has flaws, but it's a great RPG, with a theme that feels fresh even today. It's certainly better than Dragon Age Inquisition.

Speaking of which, I bet we'll get Dragon Age Origins in a few years.

Pachimari

What about the story itself, is it great? Interesting? Or is it a slow burn? Does it have twists? Is the climax worth it? And such stuff.

heringer

What about the story itself, is is great? Interesting? Or is it a slow burn? Does it have twists? Is the climax worth it? And such stuff.

The pacing is better than most Bioware games, since it's pretty short (15~20 hours). I don't remember much of the story itself, but I remember enjoying it. There are twists, IIRC.

Was Jade Empire all active combat? Or could you pause to target enemies and select/queue actions like in KOTOR?
No pause, all action. It's a pretty simple combat system though, not nearly as complex as KOTOR's.

awp69

To be fair, it's a treat to people who never played. Jade Empire is kind of the forgotten Bioware game, but it's a game made at their peak. It has flaws, but it's a great RPG, with a theme that feels fresh even today. It's certainly better than Dragon Age Inquisition.

Speaking of which, I bet we'll get Dragon Age Origins in a few years.

Yeah, I'm being a little harsh. Would have been a great surprise but just doesn't fit the bill of what Eli hyped it to be.

Yeah, I'm being a little harsh. Would have been a great surprise but just doesn't fit the bill of what Eli hyped it to be.
Yeah, I'll still be getting it since I never played it before and always wanted to. But a precedent setter that will blow people away?
Although I do hope this means we'll be getting more Bioware RPGs in the future

heringer

Eli said:
It's so good, also I love the precedent this sets in that Aspyr is going to continue porting these awesome Bioware games (and not just ones like KOTOR with massive brand recognition) while improving their ports with each iteration. If you're into classic RPG's, this is an incredibly great sign. But, as I mentioned earlier, people getting mad was inevitable so next time I should probably just not say anything.

Lol, nice save.

PittaGAF

What a massive let down.

A port of an ancient 3D game.
I love Bioware but while fun I consider it the worst Bioware title.
Also...it will control like shit imho, being it even more actiony.

Anyway probably Hodapp meant that if this sell well...we could see Dragon Age and Mass Effect later.
Too bad I'm not interested in either on mobile :(

killercow

What a massive let down.

A port of an ancient 3D game.
I love Bioware but while fun I consider it the worst Bioware title.
Also...it will control like shit imho, being it even more actiony.

Anyway probably Hodapp meant that if this sell well...we could see Dragon Age and Mass Effect later.
Too bad I'm not interested in either on mobile :(

I feel like for these kind of ports you absolutely need some kind of MFi controller.

bengraven

A bit disappointed it wasn't a bigger or Bethesdaer game but Jade Empire is great and the controls are very similar to Future Fight anyway.

Finally I can have a browser handy during dialogue so I can get my
threesome
on.

PittaGAF

I feel like for these kind of ports you absolutely need some kind of MFi controller.

You are probably right but that defies the mobile part.
Will be cool for people with just an Apple TV who never played these old glories.

TBH it's great and all (Witcher, Mass Effect or Oblivion/Skyrim would have been much bigger) but this is the type of title that bring mobile/iOS on every major gaming website front page (good), followed by thousands of (not really out of place) comments like:

Controls like shit
Lol mobile
Lol on screen touch controls
And all the usual stuff.

So I'm still pretty cold on the meaning of the announcement for the future of mobile.

But maybe it's just me, I can't see the appeal of certain games (which include almost all 3D AAA titles) on mobile.

awp69

I think having a Shield device has kind of also made me expect more to push iOS since I can play Borderlands 2, The Talos Principle, Doom 3, Portal, Resident Evil 5, etc.

Granted some of those require a controller so that's an issue (and one that doesn't make them really "mobile" games). It's also a lot easier to develop for one or two high end chip sets.

Still that gets me having higher expectations than I should.

BioShock was a big deal for iOS and could have set a precedent but a not-so-hot port combined with having to be pulled due to OS version problems set that level of games back a bit.

Still, there are plenty of really good original mobile games. Graphical prowless is not everything.

That said, I'd rather have those great original games than ports of games over a decade old. Just my 2 cents.

----

BTW, someone in the TA comments mentioned The Witness. Was that ever officially announced for iOS? I'd also like ports of recent games that aren't necessarily amazing in graphics but great games.

PittaGAF

iOS can be awesome with certain titles tough, better than all the other platforms.
That's where imho resides the future, or it will always be seen as the minor competitor full of compromises.

Boardgames and turn based games are a natural fit.
All cards and 'miniatures' games are better because of the touch feel.
Async multiplayer is a genre not new but glorious on a mobile device thanks to notifications and the fact most live with their iPhone glued to their hands.
2D titles can be awesome too, graphically identical to other platforms, and controls are now almost perfect (touch, no controllers).

3D titles? We aren't at that point yet.
Graphically they are almost always inferior even if mobile chips made exponential leaps in power last years, and controls are, while bearable playable and maybe even enjoyable, not there yet, expecially when you can both move and change the view.

I would take an original indie game made for mobile over a AAA 3D port of 10 years old game any day.

iOS can be awesome with certain titles tough, better than all the other platforms.
That's where imho resides the future, or it will always be seen as the minor competitor full of compromises.

Boardgames and turn based games are a natural fit.
All cards and 'miniatures' games are better because of the touch feel.
Async multiplayer is a genre not new but glorious on a mobile device thanks to notifications and the fact most live with their iPhone glued to their hands.
2D titles can be awesome too, graphically identical to other platforms, and controls are now almost perfect (touch, no controllers).

3D titles? We aren't at that point yet.
Graphically they are almost always inferior even if mobile chips made exponential leaps in power last years, and controls are, while bearable playable and maybe even enjoyable, not there yet, expecially when you can both move and change the view.

I would take an original indie game made for mobile over a AAA 3D port of 10 years old game any day.
Depends on what type of 3D game really. Anything that requries forward movement + camera control is going to suffer on touch. That's why we'll never get a good FPS on mobile. But RTS games work well IMO.

BTA

Yeah, not really itching to play this. I've never played it and it sounds good, but after that hype I wasn't really expecting just a port of an old game, and I'm kinda wary of playing something like that on iOS besides.

Maybe I'll regret that, I dunno. I feel like if I wanted to go for any of their games I'd go for finally trying to play through KOTOR first, since I must have started that 3 or 4 times on XBox with the specific intent of actually finishing it and failing to do so.

PittaGAF

Depends on what type of 3D game really. Anything that requries forward movement + camera control is going to suffer on touch. That's why we'll never get a good FPS on mobile. But RTS games work well IMO.

Sure!
It's not 3D per se (if it doesn't look like crap compared to other platforms and if doesn't kill your battery in 1 hour).
RTS (2D or 3D), expecially if iso view, work really well when you select and drag units.
I consider then 'miniature' like games, where the tactile feel of touching/activating a unit is a plus.
3D would even work in a first person environment with movement and camera controls...as long as you don't have to shoot or perform fast different actions too.
Epic Citadel worked well.

Generally tough, last years AAA console titles are almost all FPS like (including all so called RPGs).

EDIT: I forgot to mention for sure other genres, like Augnented reality so popular these days (btw I captured my first Pikachu!!! :) but the meaning of the post is that iOS can be great for many things, better than other platforms...just not on certain genres.
iOS should not follow those titles.

Top Bottom