• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2016 | A sever-ly hot summer

awp69

This comment in Eli's new game post over on TA has me even more curious about what the RPG is.

He said there should be a "massive game release that people are going to be super blown away by along with the precedent its release could set for the release of ...other similar games".

If it's something that doesn't have a precedent, that would eliminate games like KOTOR2. Unless this "massive" game isn't the same as the RPG Shaun is referring to.

This comment in Eli's new game post over on TA has me even more curious about what the RPG is.

He said there should be a "massive game release that people are going to be super blown away by along with the precedent its release could set for the release of ...other similar games".

If it's something that doesn't have a precedent, that would eliminate games like KOTOR2. Unless this "massive" game isn't the same as the RPG Shaun is referring to.
Divinity OS? Skyrim?

I'm thinking big now.

Quick, everyone start looking for big RPGs on Steam that look like they could work on mobile.

Quick, everyone start looking for big RPGs on Steam that look like they could work on mobile.
Fallout series, Elder Scrolls, Divinity, Witcher, etc,

That's the only scale that would make me go "No way, I'd never imagine I'd see those on mobile". A turn-based game like Banner Saga wouldn't be so shocking

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Fallout series, Elder Scrolls, Divinity, Witcher, etc,

That's the only scale that would make me go "No way, I'd never imagine I'd see those on mobile". A turn-based game like Banner Saga wouldn't be so shocking
Agreed.....if we are to believe the Hodapp hype.....

heringer

Now I'm afraid it's going to be something so ambitions it's going to be butchered on anything lower than an Air 2... like Bioshock.

I guess this means no KOTOR 2. Shame, I really wanted that one.

I need to prepare myself for disappointment.

Now I'm afraid it's going to be something so ambitions it's going to be butchered on anything lower than an Air 2... like Bioshock.

I guess this means no KOTOR 2. Shame, I really wanted that one.

I need to prepare myself for disappointment.

It isn't KOTOR 2. Might be Air 1 and later. Too soon for Air 2 and later imo.

Pachimari

Do they have any plans of putting back Bioshock on the App Store? I am so bummed I missed out on it, and now I got an iPad Pro which would probably be able to run it.

awp69

Still think Divinity would be very difficult on mobile with it being heavily menu driven and complex in that regard. That said it certainly would be something unexpected.

Hopefully we'll know by 3 p.m. EST if Shaun meant he couldn't announce it until noon PST.

And there's always the off chance what Eli is talking about isn't the same thing. But he didn't allude to any other big unannounced games coming today. And Shaun seemed pretty hyped so I'm guessing it is probably the same.

What about something like a true port of Mass Effect (not the tie in we got earlier)? Suppose with the branching dialog and stuff it isn't massively different than KOTOR other than obviously being a newer game.

For the most part, Deus Ex GO is really good so far, but I do feel other aspects feel like a step back from LC GO. Mainly in how LC GO had multi-part levels, that were spread across several screens, and were on multiple heights. So far DX GO's level have been one plane and one screen

But besides that personal gripe, it's as polished and stylish as the others, the animations are great, and it's another win for SE Monteal

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What about something like a true port of Mass Effect (not the tie in we got earlier)? Suppose with the branching dialog and stuff it isn't massively different than KOTOR other than obviously being a newer game.

why would you say this?

why would you put this wonderful thought into my head and now i weep because i'll never have Mass Effect on my phone

PittaGAF

Tbh I would prefer something new or pretty recent instead of a years old franchise (no matter how great) that I already played and if in 3D and not turn based I wouldn't really like to replay on an inferior version due to controls.

pronk420

Could it be I am Setsuna? I haven't played enough of that to know if it would work on iOS, but it looks pretty graphically undemanding.

Could it be I am Setsuna? I haven't played enough of that to know if it would work on iOS, but it looks pretty graphically undemanding.
Not really a game that would warrant hype like "the precedent its release could set for the release of ...other similar games"

Last ports I felt did that were the GTA games

Andy C83

Neo Member
Hey guys. Will be buying Dues Ex Go and the Skyfish game. I've enjoyed the Hitman and Lara Croft versions, though inevitably have finished neither, yet. Someone working on the fish game compared at least some of the gameplay to the 'old' iOS classic Gesundheit, so that should be sweet. I haven't seen the Mr Robot TV show but this game definitely has my interest; will be keeping my eye on that one.

As for the super secret game I'm also prepared to be disappointed. I've never been into playing big, console type games on touchscreen so if it's something like that it probably won't be for me. I'm still very interested to know what it is, though. :)

awp69

Tbh I would prefer something new or pretty recent instead of a years old franchise (no matter how great) that I already played and if in 3D and not turn based I wouldn't really like to replay on an inferior version due to controls.

Yeah, even though I mentioned ME, I actually agree with what you're saying.

After looking at steam my guesses:

-Torchlight
-Hand of Fate
-Stardew Valley (kinda RPGish)
-Grim Dawn
-Divinity

It's probably gonna be none of those though and I'll end up disappointed.

heringer

It isn't KOTOR 2. Might be Air 1 and later. Too soon for Air 2 and later imo.

You know what game it is? Spill the beans!

After looking at steam my guesses:

-Torchlight
-Hand of Fate
-Stardew Valley (kinda RPGish)
-Grim Dawn
-Divinity

It's probably gonna be none of those though and I'll end up disappointed.

None of those would be a massive announcement, though. And Stardew Valley isn't a RPG (though I would love love love if that was the one).

Divinity might apply, but I don't think it would fit mobile very well.

PittaGAF

Maybe it's just my poor English but the way Eli Hodapp worded the phrase likely point to a multiple titles franchise.

Like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc...

I'm more keen to think it's a western franchise because we already have multiple titles from well known JRPGs so it wouldn't be that shocking.

Ketch

Yeah, Siralim, Micromon, etc. Pokemon wouldn't be much of a precedent setter

.... You don't think Pokemon on iOS would be a precedent setter? Any other games exclusive to Nintendo on iOS I don't know about?

The problem I see is that'd be way too big of a deal to be a surprise announcement.

Pachimari

Give me Morrowind... How many hours left till the reveal?

Anyway, I just completed the first world of Deus Ex GO. Are there no collectibles in this one? It doesn't seem like it, although I noticed some of the levels on the overworld are gold and others are black. Another thing is, that the swiping controls seems off and not as precise as past titles. Multiple times I have taken a step in a direction I were not meant to go. Maybe it's a feature it'll explain to me later on, because it seems like I am supposed to grab people or something.

PittaGAF

No Man's Sky mobile edition.

Oh...we already have it since long (Out There Omega :p).
And bugs free, perfect performance.

:p

.... You don't think Pokemon on iOS would be a precedent setter? Any other games exclusive to Nintendo on iOS I don't know about?

The problem I see is that'd be way too big of a deal to be a surprise announcement.
To be fair, I'm partially biased because I don't like Pokemon so that would be a huge letdown for me.

But it's not something that I would be blown away seeing on a mobile device, not after we've gotten San Andreas, Bioshock, Transistor, etc.

I also don't think Nintendo would release Pokemon on iOS with zero fanfare while GO is still doing well

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Planescape Torment would knock my socks off, though the 90s CPRG to mobile thing has been done before...

We'll probably have more fun speculating than playing whatever the release is lol

Planescape Torment would knock my socks off, though the 90s CPRG to mobile thing has been done before...

We'll probably have more fun speculating than playing whatever the release is lol
Oh definitely. I assume we're all going to be disappointed, although I trust Musgrave. He has good tastes in games.

Ketch

To be fair, I'm partially biased because I don't like Pokemon so that would be a huge letdown for me.

But it's not something that I would be blown away seeing on a mobile device, not after we've gotten San Andreas, Bioshock, Transistor, etc.

I also don't think Nintendo would release Pokemon on iOS with zero fanfare while GO is still doing well

Yea I'm not a huge fan of Pokemon either, but other then square Enix I think of Nintendo when I think of RPGs. Also, Nintendo exclusives on iOS would be the mother of all precedents but is unlikely to happen without a big lead in. And, I really have never enjoyed a big 3D triple A game on iOS, I feel like it doesn't really suit the platform.

Something from the shin migami series might be big. Persona 4 on iOS?

Yea I'm not a huge fan of Pokemon either, but other then square Enix I think of Nintendo when I think of RPGs. Also, Nintendo exclusives on iOS would be the mother of all precedents but is unlikely to happen without a big lead in. And, I really have never enjoyed a big 3D triple A game on iOS, I feel like it doesn't really suit the platform.

Something from the shin migami series might be big. Persona 4 on iOS?

nope. Also SMT1 is on iOS in english for iPhone. 2 and If... are JP only but on iOS as well.

Top Bottom