• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

A little late to the party, but I finally decided to look up a little more on Final Fantasy Tactics, and Final Fantasy V. I have barely touched FFT (the slowdown on the PSP somewhat kills my desire to play FFT via that route), and I have never played FFV. I heard the iOS version of Tactics fixes a lot of the problem from the PSP version (and enhances some stuff). Can anyone give me a mini-review how that game handles on iPhone 5 (also for FFV too)?

I know both games are supposed to be of very high quality, so why not check them out. Though, I may wait for another sale to occur, since I wouldn't be able to touch either games for a little while (my backlog, i.e. Xenoblade, is eating me).

heringer

A little late to the party, but I finally decided to look up a little more on Final Fantasy Tactics, and Final Fantasy V. I have barely touched FFT (the slowdown on the PSP somewhat kills my desire to play FFT via that route), and I have never played FFV. I heard the iOS version of Tactics fixes a lot of the problem from the PSP version (and enhances some stuff). Can anyone give me a mini-review how that game handles on iPhone 5 (also for FFV too)?

I know both games are supposed to be of very high quality, so why not check them out. Though, I may wait for another sale to occur, since I wouldn't be able to touch either games for a little while (my backlog, i.e. Xenoblade, is eating me).

FFT is top tier, and the new sprites are lovely. No slowdowns whatsoever. I played on my iPad 2 though, so I can't comment how it is on the iPhone, but it should be fine.

FFV is really fun too, but it's an old school RPG through and through. Story is forgettable, but the job system is very fun to play with. Of the FF's from SNES, V has the best gameplay.

For now just concentrate on Xenoblade since it is the best JRPG ever.

FF5 looks like shit, but it still plays good.

FFT update makes the sprite look real good, but no widescreen support on iphone 5, and stuff is a bit tiny which makes controls a bit iffy, but doable.

Ending or Lums?

Only have enough for a $0.99 game and I'm torn between these two games. On one hand, Endng sounds very unique and I enjoy roguelikes and chess. On the other, I really enjoyed Lum's free version and how it was an involved physics puzzler compared to Angry Bird's fling-and-forget style

Both have gotten great user impressions on Toucharcade and good reviews

Flunkie

Banned
Ending or Lums?

Only have enough for a $0.99 game and I'm torn between these two games. On one hand, Endng sounds very unique and I enjoy roguelikes and chess. On the other, I really enjoyed Lum's free version and how it was an involved physics puzzler compared to Angry Bird's fling-and-forget style

Both have gotten great user impressions on Toucharcade and good reviews
Ending wasn't very compelling to me. I had more fun with the free version of Lums than I had with the paid version of Ending.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just finished XCOM after what must have been at least 40 hours and I loved every second of it, the perfect iPad game. Kinda bittersweet though, this was the last turn based strategy/RPG that I know of that I was interested in playing. Been churning through games for about a year now, seem to have hot the end for the time being. Is there anything I might have missed? Played all the obvious FFs and Hunters etc. Is Frozen Synapse or Breach and Clear a worthy follow on purchase?

PFD

Just finished XCOM after what must have been at least 40 hours and I loved every second of it, the perfect iPad game. Kinda bittersweet though, this was the last turn based strategy/RPG that I know of that I was interested in playing. Been churning through games for about a year now, seem to have hot the end for the time being. Is there anything I might have missed? Played all the obvious FFs and Hunters etc. Is Frozen Synapse or Breach and Clear a worthy follow on purchase?

Frozen Synapse is on sale. Highly recommended, though it's vastly different from what you played before.

People here seem to like swords & arrows. And there's also Ravenmark: Mercenaries. And finally Shadowrun will drop on iOS in a couple weeks.

FS is definitely worth the purchase
I'm really enjoying Breach & Clear but it's more streamlined so it may be a more love-hate game

PFD

Isn't Shadowrun Returns coming to iPad soon?

This was their latest comment regarding the iOS version

Sorry if it seems like we've had radio silence on iOS. Wasn't on purpose - we've just been trying to get Steam keys out to everyone before launch.
While we wanted to get the mobile tablet versions out at the same time as the PC and Mac versions, we decided the priority was creating the best game possible on all platforms. To that end, we are going to delay the tablet versions for a few weeks to make sure that the game meets all our expectations and delivers the best gaming experience possible on mobile tablets.
Sorry for the delay.

Ending wasn't very compelling to me. I had more fun with the free version of Lums than I had with the paid version of Ending.
Do you enjoy roguelikes? Just curious, because it seems like the game could be divisive in that regard.

Anyone else have thoughts on getting Lums or Ending?

PittaGAF

Frozen Synapse is on sale. Highly recommended, though it's vastly different from what you played before.

People here seem to like swords & arrows. And there's also Ravenmark: Mercenaries. And finally Shadowrun will drop on iOS in a couple weeks.

I would like to add Space Hulk too.
We do not know when it will be out on iOS but the Steam version just got up for preorder, out 15 August (iOS to follow).
I'm not that confident Shadowrun Returns will be out in just 2 weeks :( (I wish).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

If you have a Canadian account we have a code for Final Fantasy Tactics iPad for 50%off!

edit: whoops, you said iPhone, nvm then

Any of the recent releases OP worthy?

Riptide GP2
That Vampire RPG/IB clone
A Ride Into The Mountains
Lums
Prince of Persia: The Shadow and the Flame

I'm addicted to Guild Wars 2 atm so haven't played any new iOS releases since Deus Ex
Despite the generic looking screenshots, Lums is surprisingly good. You have complete control over your "Lums" so the game becomes a physics puzzler, not a fire-and-forget catapult game like Angry Birds. The graphics are quite pleasing and the light mechanic adds another layer of complexity to the puzzle aspect. Unlike Angry Birds, where you can destroy pigs by collapsing debris on them, here you have to be a bit more mindful of your surroundings because fallen debris may actually cover and protect the vampires.

Furthermore your Lums are more varied than the usual AB-esque projectiles. One is for smashing debris, another can fly through glass and becomes a light source when placed on a surface, another reverses gravity, one switches blocks to glass, another to stone.

Also, I've contacted the dev; more levels are on the way that will add new elements as well as more difficult hardcore levels

For $0.99, recommended

Dash Kappei

OP is missing something major, IMO.

Hey DEVS, this is how you do it, take note:

Instead of releasing the much beloved "fuckyouiPhonearlyadopter-iPad version", the DotEmu guys went back to
R-Type and released a major 2.0 update which not only did fix most if not every of its problems, but mainly made the app finally Universal with no more crappy 2x on iPad, yay!

Hey guys, my team and I released a new game on iOS called Pixture.

It's a puzzle/riddle game where you have to combine or split words in order to solve the riddle.

Ex.

What was that colorful thing that spread across the sky?

Rainbow, so you would have to find the rain item and a bow item in the scene to "Combine" them and make rainbow.

It's a cute family friendly game so please give it a shot! :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixture/id640367034?mt=8

Dash Kappei

Hey guys, my team and I released a new game on iOS called Pixture.

It's a puzzle/riddle game where you have to combine or split words in order to solve the riddle.

Ex.

What was that colorful thing that spread across the sky?

Rainbow, so you would have to find the rain item and a bow item in the scene to "Combine" them and make rainbow.

It's a cute family friendly game so please give it a shot! :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixture/id640367034?mt=8

I'll give it a shot and let you know, but how do you guys make money off it?
It's free with no iap as far as I can tell from the Appstore's description... ads maybe? Online-only app?

I'll give it a shot and let you know, but how do you guys make money off it?
It's free with no iap as far as I can tell from the Appstore's description... ads maybe? Online-only app?

Thanks!

We don't make any money off of it actually. It was my (and others) senior project. We decided to release it for free. Let me know how it is, or leave an honest review :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So, our second update for Swords & Arrows is now live on the appstore. Lots of smaller improvements and bug fixes etc, like being able to move a unit you accidentally gave the 'Wait' command.

We also added the 'Battle Book', which is basically a guide for everything in the game gathered in one place (some people requested it, so we delivered!).
Has a pretty basic look so far, but will get more polished as we release more updates. Still working on single player content and a number of interesting gameplay/aestetics stuff that will be really cool! And the naval warfare DLC, of course.

Finally, I'm really happy with how the game has taken off, number of players is increasing at a steady pace and we got a lot of active players, so finding opponents is no longer an issue!

Any of the recent releases OP worthy?

Riptide GP2
That Vampire RPG/IB clone
A Ride Into The Mountains
Lums
Prince of Persia: The Shadow and the Flame

I'm addicted to Guild Wars 2 atm so haven't played any new iOS releases since Deus Ex

bloodmasque is pretty fun. Sure its an IB clone kinda, but its quite enjoyable in terms of production value. tons of cutscenes and a neat setup (vampires and paris) with good music.

also the face feature is hilarious.

BQIQeNFCMAA6_R4.png:large

worth price of admission alone.

PittaGAF

Just woke up and and found out two of my fav game got huge updates.

Sine Mora and Sword&Arrows

Great day :)
Impressions later.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Cool. That'll help my friend win a game ;)

Gonna buy the ad free version
when it goes on sale

Will look into it!

Just woke up and and found out two of my fav game got huge updates.

Sine Mora and Sword&Arrows

Great day :)
Impressions later.

BTW, we sent another update for S&A today, discovered a bug where units sometimes ends up behind buildings. Not a huge deal (you can still see them and interact with them), but still annoying. So, sorry about that!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Good news, with Sine Mora patched I am comfortable enough to recommend it to be played by people not named PittaGAF ;) (love your enthusiasm dude, all things aside)

The game is not perfect yet, but it's light-years ahead of it's previous state controls-wise, the relative touch just needs a sensitivity adjustment option and we would be golden. Game runs really nicely now and looks better with the update as well. It still is letterboxed on 16:9 screens but that's apparently a design choice so I can live with it. Menu text still tiny (and XBLA leaderboard errors are still present when Facebook connection fails!) but aside from that this game is enjoyable to play now.

Edit: Sine Mora and Lums/HD have been added to the OP.

Zumba sadly had to go due to space constraints.
One more dance for the memories:

Zumba Dance lets you party yourself into shape anytime, anywhere!

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

iOS GAF - Rejoice!
I wanna (...) more.[!]
This will be the death of console gaming for sure.
Top 10 best-seller on App Store, more sales than Deus Ex!

PittaGAF

No surprises here, but the Sword&Arrows update consolidates what is already a great game (I'm in some HUGE games that are PURE MAYEM).

(Yes there is a slight problem with transparent units now...no biggie)

I can imagine the game becoming even more popular with a single player campaign.

In some games I already feel like I'm in the middle of the 100 Years War.

I love how 'simple' the game seems and how accessible it is...but you really appreciate the game units diversification and the various upgrades later on.
Great game...I really recommend it to everyone even barely interested...put some time in it with a some close friends...you won't regret it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
No surprises here, but the Sword&Arrows update consolidates what is already a great game (I'm in some HUGE games that are PURE MAYEM).

I can imagine the game becoming even more popular with a single player campaign.

I love how 'simple' the game seems and how accessible it is...but you really appreciate the game units diversification and the various upgrades later on.
Great game...I really recommend it to everyone even barely interested...put some time in it with a some close friends...you won't regret it.

Thanks, glad you enjoy it (also, there might be a teaser later tonight concerning our next big, update)!
And yes, I've heard rumblings from people on the dev team about some of those insane 6 player games, truly epic stuff. haha :)

arimanius

Sounds great. I downloaded it but I'm guessing there's no solo play until the single player campaign? Can't see a way to play with bots.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Sounds great. I downloaded it but I'm guessing there's no solo play until the single player campaign? Can't see a way to play with bots.

Yeah, the only single player activity available as of now is map-building.
And if you want to play around with the game offline, you could always do some pass & play on your own, learn how the game works etc.
But as mentioned, we are working on single-player content, as soon I know a more exact time frame for the SP release I'll let you all know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom