• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It seems a few Warner Brothers' games are having a sale right now, not just Bastion.

http://appshopper.com/games/lego-batman-dc-super-heroes
http://appshopper.com/games/lego-harry-potter-years-1-4
http://appshopper.com/games/lego-harry-potter-years-5-7
http://appshopper.com/games/batman-arkham-city-lockdown
http://appshopper.com/games/midway-arcade

and the Man of Steel atrocity of a game I won't link, but instead show this:
ikZuBfY9seg4W.gif

anybody got any thoughts on lego batman 2? Had fun with pc one, curious if the portable one is any good (know its different team, different levels etc)

kodt

Banned
Tried a number of games last night that have been sitting on my iPad. Mini reviews:

Capsized+ - cool art, but the virtual controls are a bit of a pain. I'll keep playing this one b/c it seems fun so far.

Swordigo - getting a zelda action/rpg vibe from this. I though the art looked kind of bad from screens, but in motion it is nice and smooth. I can see getting bored of this fast though.

The Blocks Cometh - good little arcade game if you are bored. Same tight controls as Super Crate Box (from the same devs). I don't see much reason to choose this over SCB.

Scurvy Scalawags - New twist on the match-3 genre. Cool to have some adventure/rpg elements. The placement of your pirate on the board is a cool feature. Getting a little burned out on all these match 3 games though. I'll give it a few more plays to see if it really grabs my attention.

igor

Well, I always thought it was a given?

Not necessarily, Supergiant has a deal with Sony so for now Transistor stays exclusive to PS4 and if it goes mobile the first platform will be Vita. I suppose it will make it to iOS after all, but it will be later rather than sooner.

Sony scored some really sweet deals with indie devs and let's keep our fingers crossed that some of them make over to iOS.

Yeah really curious about Lego games as well, if it's like the console releases then I will definitely pick it up. What is batman like?

atre324

Ok back again on this game, people should try it out. It's quirky, brilliant, and very addicting. Just sat pretty much an hour straight with this.

"Bastion-esque" level planes you can fall off the edge from (remember ToeJam & Earl? that sort of thing), combat pets, weapon upgrade drops, persistent character upgrades/skills bought with in-game currency accrued during gameplay. Free with IAPs (said in-game currencies).

I'm contemplating putting it in the OP as a "late-discover" (and Magic 2014 ye?) Thoughts? I see the OP as crowd-sourced more than what "I want" there. :)

I think it's pretty much a given, seeing the success that Bastion has seen on the platform.

Release date was June 27th right? Kinda too late in the month to make it to that thread, so I think it would be fine to include it in the OP. People definitely shouldn't miss out on the game.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Recently jumped into an iPhone 3GS, so I'm wondering... Are there any good Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack-a-like games on iOS that don't revolve on F2P crap?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just a heads up, Bastion is currently just 1 dollar.
It's an AMAZING PORT of an AMAZING GAME, everyone should have it at any price IMHO.
On iPad it's a fantastic experience.
Agreed. Amazing port!

smr00

Banned
Don't forget about Hex either, that looks like it could be amazing. Hell, its got a deck testing tool for seeing what hands you will draw!

ixeIGCu.jpg

Edit: And it will actually have legitimate drafting for cheap. :)
Why can't MTG do this in the Duels games? Drafting is literally the only format i really, really, really enjoy in these kind of games.

This is way late, but how was Nimble Quest? Does someone want to give me a quick three sentence review?

Also, are there any recent Kairosoft titles? Last one I saw was the Sushi Bar one

Swordigo - getting a zelda action/rpg vibe from this. I though the art looked kind of bad from screens, but in motion it is nice and smooth. I can see getting bored of this fast though.

The fun part for me was collecting all the heart pieces (or whatever) and getting 100% achievements. That really made the game shine.

RustyO

Mini-Reviews:

Fighting Fantasy : Blood of the Zombies (FF60)
Fighting Fantasy : House of Hell (FF10)

Picked these two up when on sale a week or two ago, for a bit of a nostalgia trip. I can't say that I have any major complaints about them at all; both are quite well done and polished. The weakness that both of these have would be in the quality of the original gamebooks. Frankly, they are nice to have on the phone; but I would rather go with a different way and have a better selection of titles; Forest of Doom (FF3) is also now available; but again, not one of the better books if memory serves me right.

House of Hell I remember from back in the day; and has an interesting 'Fear' mechanic which makes it stand out and kind of unique; but I think Beneath Nightmare Castle (FF25) handled that better. The problem here is that it is arguable a weak entry in the series, with a convoluted pathway that must be done in a certain order (if I recall correctly)

Blood of the Zombies I actually find to be quite average; if not one of the more poorer FF books I've ever read. A very simple combat mechanic*, very linear pathways, and it is hard thanks to the combat system; volume of enemies; and the number you have to go through; especially with a starting Stamina/Health of 20... and not much in the way of bulking that up.

* Combat: Your attack equals dice roll(s) with a +/- modifier dependent on weapon. (e.g. Penknife = 1d6-3; Baseball Bat = 1d6)
Zombie attacks generally equals number of zombies. So if you have Stamina 20; versus 10 zombies with a baseball bat...

- You roll a 4, kill four zombies
- Zombies attack you for 6 damage (Stamina is now 14)
- You roll a 2, kill two zombies
- Zombies attack you for 4 damage (Stamina is now 10)
- You roll a 5, kill the last four zombies

And that is (generally) how the combat system works. Of course, that could work out differently such as:

- You roll a 1, kill one zombie
- Zombies attack you for 9 damage (Stamina is now 11)
- You roll a 2, kill two zombies
- Zombies attack you for 7 damage (Stamina is now 4)
- You roll a 3, kill three zombies
- Zombies attack you for 4 damage (Stamina is now brown bread)

All in all?

Both are good, polished apps and I have no complaints about the apps; more around the selection of the titles that they chose to go with.

mrkgoo

anybody got any thoughts on lego batman 2? Had fun with pc one, curious if the portable one is any good (know its different team, different levels etc)

I bought it for $1. Worth taking a look, but I have heard teh portable version isn't the same. Oh well.

So this is the 3DS version?

0OoO0

Oh I thought the ios version of Lego Batman was a direct port of the console...so this is not the case?

Fady K

I just want to pop in to say that I have always, and will very likely always, be in love with console gaming first. I also have much adoration for handheld devices. I love both my Vita and the 3DS, and I was very happy with my PSP and DS.

Having said that however, I picked up an iPad a year ago and I must say - the iOS is a gaming HAVEN. The prices, the variety, the graphics on some of these things, etc - it is all just wonderful. I am an adventure fan and I find this platform to be a must-own for all gamers.

It is also amazing what impact iOS gaming had on videogaming in general. Cheaper and more varied games.

Just imagine, a game like Deus Ex: The Fall or even something traditional like the Broken Sword remasters selling for a measly $5-6 bucks.

PittaGAF

Tried the game half an hour on iPhone 4S (will try later on iPad).
I already knew the game was amazing (I have it on 360) but I'm happy to report controls are simply phenomenal...they set probably a new standard on the device.
I'll see how they will be towards the end, where probably the most precision is required, but so far so good.
Extremely good.

Basically there is an invisible (perfect) joystick on the screen (the whole screen, no matter if left or right), that support multitouch so you can swipe with the other finger to jump (again, no matter where): I just stick my fingers on the bottom part...so I have the whole screen to enjoy.
To interact with objects, just go near them...the little guy will change posture...keep one finger pressed and move...voila'.
Like...if you want to move a crate...just go near...he will extend his arms...the press the screen and move.

Simply fantastic.

SteveWD40

Breach and Clear has been submitted, should be here within 2 weeks, it's no longer freemium but instead will be $3.99. Rob Bowling's studio has developed it and it looks perfect to me (as a fan of SWAT / old R6 games).

GDC 2013 Gameplay

That video still shows currency's in the menu which are probably removed now. Here is a 3D model of one of the guns:

Kl7tJAX.png

Each gun has 7 points of customization and can be viewed in the in-game viewer.

Installed size will be 750mb.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Breach and Clear has been submitted, should be here within 2 weeks, it's no longer freemium but instead will be $3.99. Rob Bowling's studio has developed it and it looks perfect to me (as a fan of SWAT / old R6 games).

GDC 2013 Gameplay

That video still shows currency's in the menu which are probably removed now. Here is a 3D model of one of the guns:

untitlbub.png

Each gun has 7 points of customization and can be viewed in the in-game viewer.

Installed size will be 750mb.
Your picture doesn't work.

This looks like a semi-janky version of the gameplay exhibited in Frozen Synapse, coated in a military skin. (That GDC demo wasn't the greatest)

PittaGAF

Ok, Limbo on iPad is freaking gorgeous.

Dieing has never been so fun.
AWESOME controls, I'm really impressed....already surpassed the spot where I left it on 360 (close to midway?).

EDIT: iCloud sync is flawless.

Music gaming fans, check it out: Groove Coaster Zero finally enters the realm of American licensed music with a music pack that includes:

Poker Face / Lady Gaga
Bad Romance / Lady Gaga
Party Rock Anthem / LMFAO
What You Waiting For? / Gwen Stefani

Any chance of getting an OP highlight for the occasion? Groove Zero isn't new but it never got a highlight in its intended month due to OP laziness, and people come out all the time saying they never realized it exists.

PittaGAF

Hows Limbo play?

Fantastically :)
If you were asking which kind of game is, it's an awesome atmopheric platformer/adventure...but I guess you already knew it.

I'm a bit worried tough I'll finish it by the end of the day...I'm already 2 hours in and apparently midway in the game.
Not that I'm complaining...it's freaking awesome both on iPhone but expecially on iPad but I already do not want it to end.

I'm STUNNED by how well controls work...I'm doing all kind of manouvers and it feels so natural.

Of all 'triple A main console' games now (I can't stand another FPS anymore...Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us included) I miss just one, one I wouldn't never tought it could work...but now I'm not that sure (it's Shadow Complex).

Beat layton bros. Was up until 3 on a work day. Goood stuff.

7 hours was completion clock which is pretty great for a $5 game.

Ask here for the other thread if you are stuck anywhere and I hopefully could give ya some hints :D

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Music gaming fans, check it out: Groove Coaster Zero finally enters the realm of American licensed music with a music pack that includes:

Poker Face / Lady Gaga
Bad Romance / Lady Gaga
Party Rock Anthem / LMFAO
What You Waiting For? / Gwen Stefani

Any chance of getting an OP highlight for the occasion? Groove Zero isn't new but it never got a highlight in its intended month due to OP laziness, and people come out all the time saying they never realized it exists.

Was thinking of doing something along these lines in June, a 'Game Updates' section or similar for "big enough" updates of past month's games (highlighted or otherwise prominent) but I got side-tracked.

That or a general 'Spotlight' section that just brings up GAF endorsed games that were missed in the past, however long ago.

Thoughts guys?

SeanR1221

Fantastically :)
If you were asking which kind of game is, it's an awesome atmopheric platformer/adventure...but I guess you already knew it.

I'm a bit worried tough I'll finish it by the end of the day...I'm already 2 hours in and apparently midway in the game.
Not that I'm complaining...it's freaking awesome both on iPhone but expecially on iPad but I already do not want it to end.

I'm STUNNED by how well controls work...I'm doing all kind of manouvers and it feels so natural.

Of all 'triple A main console' games now (I can't stand another FPS anymore...Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us included) I miss just one, one I wouldn't never tought it could work...but now I'm not that sure (it's Shadow Complex).

Awesome, I just bought it. Brewed my own coffee today instead of buying one to make up the difference ;)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Was thinking of doing something along these lines in June, a 'Game Updates' section or similar for "big enough" updates of past month's games (highlighted or otherwise prominent) but I got side-tracked.

That or a general 'Spotlight' section that just brings up GAF endorsed games that were missed in the past, however long ago.

Thoughts guys?

Yeah this sounds like a good idea to me. Although personally, having Lady Gaga songs available makes me less interested to play the game :p

/popgaf digs

heringer

Beat layton bros. Was up until 3 on a work day. Goood stuff.

7 hours was completion clock which is pretty great for a $5 game.

Ask here for the other thread if you are stuck anywhere and I hopefully could give ya some hints :D

The last two cases were great, weren't they? I wish all the cases were as well developed as those. Good game though! I recommend it too.

The last two cases were great, weren't they? I wish all the cases were as well developed as those. Good game though! I recommend it too.

Definitely. That
phone call in the end, holy shit. sequel potential.
Took me like 30 min to figure out the
how the dude got onto the same tower. Was a lucky tap that got the ivy lol.

Would totally buy the OST for this.

TKR92

As many of you said, Limbo on iPad is simply gorgeous.

Control is great so far and I'm really impressed how well fit in with iPad.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Looks like an high res N64 game :p

And about high rez, where the hell is my iOS REZ?! Could use the vibrate function on iPhone lol

Smooth Operators came out on iOS, and is pretty essential! You basically have to run a call centre, which sounds boring but Kairosoft fans will love it, and it's really good fun

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Smooth Operators came out on iOS, and is pretty essential! You basically have to run a call centre, which sounds boring but Kairosoft fans will love it, and it's really good fun

Hmmm...I like the concept, but I want something more along the lines of Theme Hospital than Tiny Tower. Maybe I'll wait on some impressions or reviews.

Hmmm...I like the concept, but I want something more along the lines of Theme Hospital than Tiny Tower. Maybe I'll wait on some impressions or reviews.

It's nothing like Tiny Tower, it's not a freemium thing, it doesn't have artificial timers, etc, it is what you're looking for! You can probably find some reviews of the Xbox version, though, if you're unsure

dled it.

It's kinda awful on iphone 5. Seems like they just stretched the shit so it fits. The buttons are impossibly tiny and so is the text, and i have tiny fingers.

Will try on my ipad when i get home... not a great first impression.

J0dy77

Don't forget about Hex either, that looks like it could be amazing. Hell, its got a deck testing tool for seeing what hands you will draw!

ixeIGCu.jpg

Edit: And it will actually have legitimate drafting for cheap. :)

I can't wait for Hex. I've been waiting for MtG to wake up and embrace this format at a fair price that won't break the bank every few months. So glad cryptozoic is stepping into this space.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Added to the OP:

Trailer

•Perfect blend of roguelike and brawler - Hit enemies in their stupid faces
•Endless Gameplay - Procedurally generated weapons, levels, and enemies that keep the action fresh until you die from thumb exhaustion
•Four game modes - Story mode, Insane Mode, Manic Mode, and Timed Sprint!
•Pets - They'll accompany you in battle and save your hide!
•Intuitive, fast-paced combat - Easy to learn, difficult to master. Dodge, block, stab, smash, and spin your way to victory!
•Five epic boss fights - Pursue Pete into the depths and bludgeon his mouth off​

---

Smooth Operators! looks interesting, here's a gameplay video of the iPad version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et9WbdClNlw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom