• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziedrieke

Banned
Survivor Clans just came out:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/survivor-clans-trading-card/id621867525?ls=1&mt=8

its free and has multiplayer:

g11.jpg

g2.jpg

PFD

Real world card battles? What does that even mean? The game sets up actual meetings between players and lets them battle it out?

Did you know that disguised advertising is a big no-no, normally frowned upon and possibly a permaban for a junior member?

edit:
LMAO, oh my god it was his first post ever on GAF!

How did a mod approve his account but my friend at work applied months ago and still hasn't been approved?

Just started playing Hunters which is very addictive. Wanted to play it as a test to see if I'd like Warhammer Quest and going off that I think I will.

How do the 2 games compare though? Is Warhammer better?

One thing I'm not really a fan of though is the lack of a story mode or missions that follow on. You just get random/new levels it seems every day and just level up within them. There's no end game?

PFD

Our free game of the month is live. It's Order & Chaos:

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/orderandchaos-free

It's been discounted before, but never free. And there's no subscription cost any more, just freemium stuff. So it's worth checking out imo.

I have this, and I think it's a competent WoW-clone. Grab it if you're looking for an mmo fix on the go.

Just started playing Hunters which is very addictive. Wanted to play it as a test to see if I'd like Warhammer Quest and going off that I think I will.

How do the 2 games compare though? Is Warhammer better?

One thing I'm not really a fan of though is the lack of a story mode or missions that follow on. You just get random/new levels it seems every day and just level up within them. There's no end game?

Hunters 2 has a campaign with a story. 1 is only contracts. Some people prefer it to WQ because the levels are more open, and the character progression is much deeper. However, WQ is still really good, and dripping with atmosphere.

PittaGAF

Ok...NOW I fully completed Limbo.
Every secrets and achievement but the 'one sitting' one (not interested).
The secret level was AMAZING.

So, while Ghost Trick is indeed universal and it does, in fact, have iCloud support the save files are not interchangeable, so it basically ties you to one device. Christ. How hard can this be, really.

Other than that, though, it's a great game that looks a bit crummy on the iPad but just fine on the phone.

PittaGAF

How is the Nightjar?
I saw it mentioned (never heard about it before) and it really intrigues me...so I need a little nudge :)
Also Papa Sangre, but the setting doesn't attract me me much.
Are they doable for non native English speakers?
Thanks!

Not sure it's been posted yet but:
Tiny Thief by 5 Ants/Rovio Stars is coming July 11

Breach & Clear was submitted to Apple on July 1st so expect it soon

igor

I never really got into Real Racing 3 until now and damn, driving down the Melbourne track made me realise: damn, I've got Gran Turismo in my pocket. It looks and plays fantastic. This game could easily go for a tenner, and it's such a damn shame you have to wait half an hour after driving a car for 5 minutes. I know, we all cried about it before but it's so irritating. I hope Real Racing 4 wont go this way.

But apart from that the update is quite clever - it looks like they made the game more like the premium RR2, but I have a feeling this update lets them milk the players even more though it is quite subtle. Also the graphics have been improved slightly, the lightning looks even better. Yes, you get less money but also the repairs are supposed to be cheaper - I cant tell because i wasnt playing it much before.

Order and Chaos is actually quite good and I was itching for an open world exploration RPG. My only problem is that the map is ridiculously shit, and in games like that it is an almost game-breaking problem. Despite the hate on gameloft, i think you should give it a chance - i played it for a bit and I wasnt attacked by IAP stuff yet.
1.7 gb game is bit of a pain on a 16gb iPhone :(

BTW Does any one still play Ravensword? The game initially got lots of slagging around the time of the release, is it much improved now?

bonesquad

How is the Nightjar?
I saw it mentioned (never heard about it before) and it really intrigues me...so I need a little nudge :)
Also Papa Sangre, but the setting doesn't attract me me much.
Are they doable for non native English speakers?
Thanks!

Unfortunately, they're no longer on sale. You snooze, you lose:) I haven't played them too much yet, but they seem cool. The best part of iOS/Steam/ect is trying games that do something different. I can't yet comment on how reliant the game is on verbal understanding, but so far the game mechanics seem to revolve more around moving towards certain noises.

Man, I seem to have completely forgotten how to play Ascension that isn't Immortal Heroes...

kottila

Tried the last level of xcom two times and both times the last two enemies didn't spawn (elite mutons) and then of course the last door won't open.

Seconded - good UI, plenty of content, IAP completely optional. Very much the WoW-vanilla clone of choice for mobile gamers IMHO.
I played it months ago when I guess it was still pay to play, had no idea they took that out so ill probably jump in again for some aimless questing in my hand. It does have a lot of players at least.

So, while Ghost Trick is indeed universal and it does, in fact, have iCloud support the save files are not interchangeable, so it basically ties you to one device. Christ. How hard can this be, really.

Other than that, though, it's a great game that looks a bit crummy on the iPad but just fine on the phone.
I really enjoyed ghost trick on my phone, so glad I tried it after missing on not having a DS.

PFD

Man, I seem to have completely forgotten how to play Ascension that isn't Immortal Heroes...

I started playing Ascension this past week, and holy shit this is digital crack. Never played a deck building game before, and it took me several matches plus reading the rulebook a few times to actually know wtf is going on, but once I got the hang of it, I couldn't stop playing.

AppStat says I've played 15 hours in the last 3 days, this is really scary lol.

p.s: props to everyone in the boardgaming thread for playing with me

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I started playing Ascension this past week, and holy shit this is digital crack. Never played a deck building game before, and it took me several matches plus reading the rulebook a few times to actually know wtf is going on, but once I got the hang of it, I couldn't stop playing.

yeah i never get tired of it

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Got $30 gift card, recommend me good ass games now!

Heel

Sorry for the beating lol I got extremely lucky in that last game. I saw you were going for Mechana so I started grabbing them defensively and ended up with a pretty unkind deck.

"All constructs are Mechana" construct
"Draw a card each turn" construct
2x "Draw a card each turn if you control 3x Mechana" constructs
"Discard and buy any banished Mechana" construct

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Read the OP :p

Or tell us what you already have that you like
God tier:
Final Fantasy Theatrythm
Final Fantasy IV
Chaos Rings
Final Fantasy Tactics
Solstice

Great tier:
Bastion
Minecraft
Badland
Another World
Broken Sword
Block x3

Mid tier:
Empire Online
Home

Shit tier:
Infinity Blade 2
Michael Jackson dance game

PittaGAF

Unfortunately, they're no longer on sale. You snooze, you lose:) I haven't played them too much yet, but they seem cool. The best part of iOS/Steam/ect is trying games that do something different. I can't yet comment on how reliant the game is on verbal understanding, but so far the game mechanics seem to revolve more around moving towards certain noises.

Yeah I missed the sale but I bought it nonetheless.
Will report.

EDIT: half an hour in and I'm REALLY enjoying it.
I feel like I'm a blind Ripley in the Nostromo.
Awesome.

igor

God tier:
Final Fantasy Theatrythm
Final Fantasy IV
Chaos Rings
Final Fantasy Tactics
Solstice

Great tier:
Bastion
Minecraft
Badland
Another World
Broken Sword
Block x3

Well in that case World Ends With You, Liberation Maiden, Ghost Trick, and Maybe Clash of Heroes

God tier:
Final Fantasy Theatrythm
Final Fantasy IV
Chaos Rings
Final Fantasy Tactics
Solstice

Great tier:
Bastion
Minecraft
Badland
Another World
Broken Sword
Block x3

Mid tier:
Empire Online
Home

Shit tier:
Infinity Blade 2
Michael Jackson dance game
I wouldn't recommend Minecraft PE. I prefer Survivalcraft.

Less $$
Infinite worlds
Wiring/Logic gates/switches, etc
Texture mods and world sharing
Cave systems
Sunrise/sunset
Weather
A more realistic tone (bears, wolves, sharks, cows, horses, etc$

PFD

Sorry for the beating lol I got extremely lucky in that last game. I saw you were going for Mechana so I started grabbing them defensively and ended up with a pretty unkind deck.

"All constructs are Mechana" construct
"Draw a card each turn" construct
2x "Draw a card each turn if you control 3x Mechana" constructs
"Discard and buy any banished Mechana" construct

Yeah, good times lol. Whenever I try to go for a mechana build, my opponent either beats me to them or constantly destroys my constructs. And if I try a power build, I stop getting monsters in the center. It's unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom