• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IPhone 6 doing odd things

In February I bought an unlocked 16 GB IPhone 6 off eBay, it was used but in excellent condition, no scratches or dings and I made sure to check the ESN # beforehand to make sure it was clean. I bought it to replace my IPhone 5C and still not quite ready to upgrade to an IPhone 7, especially with the 8 looming. Anyways it seemed to work fine up until about a month ago when it started doing odd power related things such as occasionally powering off on its own or powering off after only holding the power down briefly and without even sliding the power off command. Yesterday I was driving and the screen went black and the entire phone just started vibrating loudly nonstop and there was no call coming through, it did this about 15-20 seconds until it stopped and I hard powered it back on. I know this is part of the risk of getting a used phone but I always take great care of my electronics and I'd like to think Apple products last better than this but then again I have an old IPod touch 3rd/4th gen (bought new in 2010) I wanted to use as a burner MP3 player at work but now I can't seem to get it to stay powered on anymore and is stuck with 1970 on the calendar. So just kind of reaching out for some general feedback on this, and yes I have the latest IOS if that helps. Never had any issues like this with my IPhone 4 and 5C.

This is happening to me as well, I have an iPhone 6.

-random power down
-battery draining fast as fuck
-phone randomly locking up
-WIFI KEEPS DISCONNECTING

That last one is pissing me off. This all started happening a few updates ago, with the wifi one happening since the last update.

Wtf apple

The cynic in me says that shit happens when apple is getting ready to introduce a new phone. Like their fucking with me to get me to upgrade. Well, jokes on you apple I'm broke af!

Viewt

-random power down

That last one is pissing me off. This all started happening a few updates ago, with the wifi one happening since the last update.

Wtf apple

These two have been happening to me a lot in the last 6-7 months. I'm just holding out for the 8 at this point. The battery drain is annoying as hell, though. I used to go 36 hours without charging when I first got it. Now I'm lucky to get 18.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
These two have been happening to me a lot in the last 6-7 months. I'm just holding out for the 8 at this point. The battery drain is annoying as hell, though. I used to go 36 hours without charging when I first got it. Now I'm lucky to get 18.

I'm with T-Mobile and unfortunately I did not take advantage of the 'trade in your iPhone 6 for an iPhone 7 for free' when it was happening a year ago. Think there'll be anything for trading in an iPhone 6 for an iPhone 8? :( I doubt it. Now I most surely will have to pay out of pocket for the fucking thing.

Yea see I think they do that shit on purpose.

Thats why I dont download anymore firmware updates. Especially now with the iPhone 8 on the horizon.

Damn that's exactly what my brother said lol.

otapnam

my wifes iphone 6 64gb (bought at launch) has been having problems for almost a year lol. Weve been too busy/lazy to bring it into a shop to replace the battery which may help.

I'm replacing my battery soon, the phone is over 2 years old at this point and because batteries become worse with age it's starting to annoy me.

Glix

My iphone 6 shut down randomly yesterday and today. 1 time each day. It has never done this before.

Garou

Thats why I dont download anymore firmware updates. Especially now with the iPhone 8 on the horizon.

Gotta keep those security-holes open!

But seriously, there are millions over millions of the same model running the latest version, some (literally) bad apples are not an adequate representation. On top of it, this sounds more like hardware rather than software, blaming the OS is a placebo.

To OP: has the screen been replaced in the past by a third-party supplier? I heard things like that can happen when not using original parts.

Phreaker

Weird. I sill have a 6 and never had a single issue until a couple months ago. I'd be typing a text message and the whole UI would freeze. Double home button would bring up the running Apps, but you couldn't slide them or close any. Then if you let it just sit for a bit it would allow me to type more characters. I also had it power down on me once. I tried hard reboots when this would happen and it would just happen again.

It hasn't done it to me in the last couple weeks, but I haven't been using my phone as much.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

-random power down

Wtf apple

The cynic in me says that shit happens when apple is getting ready to introduce a new phone. Like their fucking with me to get me to upgrade. Well, jokes on you apple I'm broke af!

Me too. I thought it was switch to T-Mobile

Also carplay got flaky as hell.

I had a fast battery drain and shutting down while still showing 30% and it was because the battery needed replacing. The Apple store explained to me that the software calibrates so that the maximum amount the battery can hold will show as 100% even though it's really only 50% or less, so then it was showing 30% but was actually zero. I replaced the battery for around $80 and it was fine after that.

If your battery is draining fast as fuck, it might be time to replace it.

I had to replace mine (iPhone 6) earlier this year. Thought I could wait it out until the iPhone X, but it was too troublesome.

I had trouble with wifi too but for some reason it went away.

Your battery is messed up and you need to replace it. Get with Apple, and if you're really lucky, they might just replace the whole unit. Don't count on it though.

Lol @ the people screaming planned obsolescence

If you're on a iphone 6 you should at least get the final version of ios 10. I've been using the ios 11 beta since it went public and the beta 5 was slow and buggy, but the beta 6 has been great.

I've had the 6 since launch and mine is still working flawlessly running the latest iOS 10 version. I'm weary of the next update though. 3rd major OS update is usually the one that tanks performance in my experience. Going to be upgrading this year, but I'll likely still keep my 6 as a backup running iOS 10.

Me too. I thought it was switch to T-Mobile

Also carplay got flaky as hell.

My plan is, as a loyal Verizon customer, as soon as the new iPhone comes out, and T-Mobile gives it away free to new customers, I will switch.

Oh shit same thing at T-Mobile? Maybe it's apple iOS?

DemonNite

My iPhone 6s had a manufacture fault with the battery that made it do the same things you described and was replaced for free on the same day. I had to go to the Apple website to put in my serial to confirm that it was in the affected batch and booked a meeting in the store to get it replaced.

Worth checking if the 6 had similar issue.

Ashhong

It's almost 3 years old now. It's just nearing the end of it's life. The battery cannot be helped nor blamed on Apple. If you diagnosis it it's probably gone through a shit ton of power cycles.

My iPhone 6s had a manufacture fault with the battery that made it do the same things you described and was replaced for free on the same day. I had to go to the Apple website to put in my serial to confirm that it was in the affected batch and booked a meeting in the store to get it replaced.

Thank for the info I'm gonna check it out

Linkura

Mine is about 2 years old and I've noticed recently that the battery is draining faster than before, but still not at a really terrible rate yet. I think I can at least hold out until the 8 comes out, but I plan to keep it for as long as I can. But it seems like only a matter of time now.

Shrugs... I have an iPhone 6 16GB and is not even 10 months, it shutdowns at 20%. Sometimes it is at 50% and goes down to 5% in a second. I swear this is the worst phone I've ever had.
(Except for the screen, because so far now it has endured a lot of shit)

In February I bought an unlocked 16 GB IPhone 6 off eBay, it was used but in excellent condition, no scratches or dings and I made sure to check the ESN # beforehand to make sure it was clean. I bought it to replace my IPhone 5C and still not quite ready to upgrade to an IPhone 7, especially with the 8 looming.

Anyways it seemed to work fine up until about a month ago when it started doing odd power related things such as occasionally powering off on its own or powering off after only holding the power down briefly and without even sliding the power off command. Yesterday I was driving and the screen went black and the entire phone just started vibrating loudly nonstop and there was no call coming thorough, it did this did about 15-20 seconds until it stopped and I hard powered it back on. I know this is part of the risk of getting a used phone but I always take great care of my electronics and I'd like to think Apple products last better than this but then again I have an old IPod touch 3rd/4th gen (bought new in 2010) I wanted to use as a burner MP3 player at work but now I can't seem to get it to stay powered on anymore and is stuck with 1970 on the calendar. So just kind of reaching out for some general feedback on this, and yes I have the latest IOS if that helps. Never had any issues like this with my IPhone 4 and 5C.
Well your best bet is to contact Apple technical support by phone and request a battery diagnostic. They'll be able to check if the shutdowns are more frequent than one would expect and if the speed of the battery drain is as expected.

If it is in the normal operation of the battery, a solution may be to back up the phone and restore the phone to factory settings to determine if there's a software issue causing these (and restore the backup if that doesn't resolve it).

This issue is further complicated by the phone having been bought on eBay. You may not be able to tell if the phone has been exposed to liquid damage (which can very rarely cause that vibration issue you experience, but it can happen via a software bug), has been repaired by a non-Apple Authorised Service Centre (either to replace the battery or screen), or what conditions the phone was in before you bought it. It is normal that the life of any battery will decline over time, so it may simply be that depending on how long the phone is actually lasting (especially since the 6 is almost three years old now), but it could be an actual issue.

So basically call the Apple technical support line. They'll run a diagnostic. From there you'll know if the battery is failing or if it's normal, if the shutdowns you're experience warrant a repair or are non-frequent enough to be considered normal, and if you should look for a software-centric solution (minimising power drain, a restore, etc) or a hardware repair (software solution not working, or failing diagnostic tests).

Well your best bet is to contact Apple technical support by phone and request a battery diagnostic. They'll be able to check if the shutdowns are more frequent than one would expect and if the speed of the battery drain is as expected.

If it is in the normal operation of the battery, a solution may be to back up the phone and restore the phone to factory settings to determine if there's a software issue causing these (and restore the backup if that doesn't resolve it).

This issue is further complicated by the phone having been bought on eBay. You may not be able to tell if the phone has been exposed to liquid damage (which can very rarely cause that vibration issue you experience, but it can happen via a software bug), has been repaired by a non-Apple Authorised Service Centre (either to replace the battery or screen), or what conditions the phone was in before you bought it. It is normal that the life of any battery will decline over time, so it may simply be that depending on how long the phone is actually lasting (especially since the 6 is almost three years old now), but it could be an actual issue.

So basically call the Apple technical support line. They'll run a diagnostic. From there you'll know if the battery is failing or if it's normal, if the shutdowns you're experience warrant a repair or are non-frequent enough to be considered normal, and if you should look for a software-centric solution (minimising power drain, a restore, etc) or a hardware repair (software solution not working, or failing diagnostic tests).

Thanks, will consider contacting them to see if the battery is from a bad batch.

OP, what iOS version are you on? There was a widespread battery problem affecting 6 and 6S models that was fixed in 10.2.1.

Ex. article about it: http://investorplace.com/2017/02/apple-inc-aapl-iphone-6-battery-issue/

I'm on IOS 10.3.2

There is no program for a 6, it’s a small batch of 6s phones

Thanks, will consider contacting them to see if the battery is from a bad batch.

I'm on IOS 10.3.2

See above. It’s likely the battery either A) is super worn down, or B) was replaced with a different one of lower quality before being sold to you

I just water damaged my iPhone 6. So much water, it was visible under the screen. Drains in about an hour of constant use now and once got so hot while charging, the screen displayed a thermometer symbol telling me it needs to have its temperature reduced which I've never seen before. Holding out for 8 as well now and hoping the top part won't look like ass.

Ashhong

Shrugs... I have an iPhone 6 16GB and is not even 10 months, it shutdowns at 20%. Sometimes it is at 50% and goes down to 5% in a second. I swear this is the worst phone I've ever had.
(Except for the screen, because so far now it has endured a lot of shit)

Have you considered that it's faulty? My battery did that after about 2 years and had to replace it. It has a year long warranty on it if your phone really is only 10 months old.

I'm on IOS 10.3.2

Unfortunately no recall on iPhone 6 batteries. I check every so often :(

Weird. I sill have a 6 and never had a single issue until a couple months ago. I'd be typing a text message and the whole UI would freeze. Double home button would bring up the running Apps, but you couldn't slide them or close any. Then if you let it just sit for a bit it would allow me to type more characters.

I am having a very similar problem with my 6. It's driving me crazy and I can't figure out what's causing it. Basically, the touchscreen will just stop responding which gives the appearance of a lock-up. The physical buttons work. Sometimes the touch comes back on its own in a few seconds, but most of the time I have to lock the phone and then unlock it again which will bring it back to life most of the time. Sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a long time. I'll go a whole week without seeing the issue on occasion. It doesn't act like a hardware issue.

I tried looking for help online but the proposed solutions involve replacing the phone (not until 8 at this point) or resetting to factory status, which seems like a huge pain in the ass, especially since I'm getting an 8 whenever they come out and will have to move phones then anyway.

VeeP

I am having a very similar problem with my 6. It's driving me crazy and I can't figure out what's causing it. Basically, the touchscreen will just stop responding which gives the appearance of a lock-up. The physical buttons work. Sometimes the touch comes back on its own in a few seconds, but most of the time I have to lock the phone and then unlock it again which will bring it back to life most of the time. Sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a long time. I'll go a whole week without seeing the issue on occasion. It doesn't act like a hardware issue.

I tried looking for help online but the proposed solutions involve replacing the phone (not until 8 at this point) or resetting to factory status, which seems like a huge pain in the ass, especially since I'm getting an 8 whenever they come out and will have to move phones then anyway.

I'm having the same issues. I'm guessing I'll probably have to factory reset. I've had this phone for a long time now. I actually don't use my phone a lot so I was thinking about waiting until next year to buy a new one, but we'll see I guess.

daxy

P LA N N E D O B S O L E S C E N C E

Likely the 1Gb of RAM though. Also, apps have gotten pretty damn bloated and daily updates for everything chew through battery life. I've had to turn that stuff off.

Vuze

Sounds like “touch disease”. Apple surely messed up the 6, I hope they learned from their mistakes and don’t fuck up future new designs.

(Also, I wish I’d get a penny every time sb spews that planned obsolescence and “i don’t update to trick them lol” nonsense)

Does your phones also get super hot at times? Like, just by browsing web and watching YouTube? Mine slows down and gets super hot at some random times.

Sounds like “touch disease”.

I've read about that but it doesn't sound exactly like "touch disease" based on what I've read. There's no flickering bar, and I don't have the 6 Plus which is what is mostly affected. It still could be, but the phone sure acts like the touch-related software process is busy or hung. Sometimes if I wait long enough and the touchscreen comes back to life (with no physical flexing, etc.) my touches will all register in quick succession. Web pages will scroll around, etc. Could still be the same issue but at least in Apple's eyes it's not since they only offer the special repair price for the Plus.

Most of this is tired battery.
The phone tries to hide the reduction in capacity but it becomes more and more of an issue. Second hand phones with too many cycles, heat events or being left in a drawer to go flat for six months.

Things to do with 1gb ram being a bit tight for today:
* switching between apps even built-in ones, and the screen is frozen on the switched to app for 5 seconds or more
- taking a LONG time to switch between browser incognito and non incognito
- safari hangs on some page and has to be hard killed
- long time to cold boot and takes ages to get into Message app etc
- safari crashes on a page and reloads

Also some web pages are just super inefficiently written with tons of Javascript firing off constantly and they cause safari to struggle.

At a local phone repair shop, kid behind the counter did a free amp test on my IPhone 6 just now. He said based on the amp test the battery is probably bad because in his words 'It's quickly jumping around between 1.6 which is about where it should be to about .9 and the voltage is acting sporadic.' He said they stock official Apple batteries and they charge $49 to replace.

Unfortunately no recall on iPhone 6 batteries. I check every so often :(

Darn, thanks for the info.

jts

...hate me...
Bendy McBendface? Just like touch disease, I wouldn’t be surprised if other components started to suffer as a result of prolonged stress on them.

At a local phone repair shop, kid behind the counter did a free amp test on my IPhone 6 just now. He said based on the amp test the battery is probably bad because in his words 'It's quickly jumping around between 1.6 which is about where it should be to about .9 and the voltage is acting sporadic.' He said they stock official Apple batteries and they charge $49 to replace.

Darn, thanks for the info.

Unless that’s an authorized Apple repair center, they don’t stock official Apple batteries. Apple doesn’t sell their parts to other companies. And if it is an AASP I don’t think they’d sell it for $30 less than Apple but that’s an assumption

Battery life on the 6 makes me sad vs the specs.

50% charge now

Since full charge:
2 hours and 10 minutes use (browsing gaf)
2 hours standby.

All usage is safari

Battery app says the battery is 1600mah max now (91%) so not "worn", and predicts 4 hours and 43 minutes of wifi browsing left for the last 50%

well that's just crap because I only got 2 hours for the first 50%, so will only get 4 hours browsing TOTAL, if I am lucky.

Unless that’s an authorized Apple repair center, they don’t stock official Apple batteries. Apple doesn’t sell their parts to other companies. And if it is an AASP I don’t think they’d sell it for $30 less than Apple but that’s an assumption

Good to know, I was skeptical when he told me that, thanks.

toneroni

lol my 6+ is a mess these past 2 weeks or so? Can't touch the screen after unlock sometimes and weird glitch Ung on screen. Think it might have the touch disease or whatever they call it. Can't wait for the 8

Top Bottom