• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran says it's 'completely ready for war' after US official confirms it shot down American drone over international airspace

Trump 2020 confirmed? Wartime presidents always win elections m i rite? Too bad millions will perish in the biggest war since ww2.

Although Iran state media said the Guard shot down the drone over Iranian airspace, two unidentified U.S. officials told the AP that the incident occurred in international airspace.

Iranian state media reported that the drone was an RQ-4 Global Hawk, but a similar-looking drone, the MQ-4C Triton, also exists, according to the AP.

The U.S. officials interviewed did not identify the type of drone or say why it was in the area, the AP reported.

For reference the 'drone' is a $220,000,000 Global Hawk that was just introduced this decade. Iran has displayed it has the reach to hit high altitude spy planes.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

giphy.gif

"Gen Salami warned the US that it needed to respect Iran's territorial integrity and national security.

"The downing of the American drone was a clear message to America... our borders are our red line and we will react strongly against any aggression."

He added: "Iran is not seeking war with any country, but we are fully prepared to defend Iran."

womfalcs3

Banned
giphy.gif

"Gen Salami warned the US that it needed to respect Iran's territorial integrity and national security.

"The downing of the American drone was a clear message to America... our borders are our red line and we will react strongly against any aggression."

He added: "Iran is not seeking war with any country, but we are fully prepared to defend Iran."

Well, to be fair, US drones and ships are over there next to Iran. Iran isn't reciprocating by antagonizing the US at its border.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don’t know if a wartime president will win in this case. Starting more wars in the Middle East seems pointless. If Trump starts a war and the Dems run someone I don’t like but isn’t a nutcase I would consider voting for them.

I doubt shooting down a drone will lead to war though. They shot one down a few years ago right?

ymoc

To be honest, how are Americans going to keep being free if they don't park their warships next to Iraninan territorial waters and flying spy planes over Iranian airspace? That's what, measly 7000 miles away?
Way to close for comfort if you ask me. The Iranian threat is encroaching ever closer.

-Minsc-

I know it's not that simple, but guys: how much shit could you fix with the price of one of those drones?

Insanity.

22,000,000 $10 lunches?

Edit:

It doesn't, military contractors are fleecing the shit out of it.

Rule of Acquisition 34: War is good for business.

One an interesting side note, I typed in "rule of aq" into DDG. The top two hits were "rule of acquisition" and "rule of acquisition war is good for business".

Last edited:
crazy how the US can go from history making diplomacy to acts of aggression and war with the same country within 4 years.

I just don't get how any progress gets made in politics.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

That price includes R&D
I was thinking that the drones are neither mass produced or have a century of R&D behind them like the automobile. Whether or not that justifies ballooning the price to that point is beyond me.

Edit:

crazy how the US can go from history making diplomacy to acts of aggression and war with the same country within 4 years.

I just don't get how any progress gets made in politics.
I guess they say if you want quick process then sign up for a dictatorship.

Last edited:
D9hHq2WW4AA5y5P.jpg:large

Seems it was skirting too close, crashed in Iranian waters, just. Probably shot down in Iranian airspace too.

Video:

Last edited:

black_13

Banned
Yes Iran shot down drone over international airspace and attacked oil tankers. Sure seems accurate just like how they found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

This has been coming for a long time and I bet nobody is happier about it than John Bolton.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
For reference the 'drone' is a $220,000,000 Global Hawk that was just introduced this decade. Iran has displayed it has the reach to hit high altitude spy planes.
We could get people free medical insurance with that money.

redfirm

Banned

so Trump called off a Strike they were going in the air had he shut it down just like that?

he is the commander in chief, so yes, he can do that. but the fact is that this is a fake article released by trumps team to warn iran. if the us wanted to attack they would and this shit would not be leaked to all the major news platforms globally at almost the same time.

highrider

Banned
And if America decides to fight. The U.K. will jump in too, no questions asked. :messenger_persevering:

Well yeah, that’s part of the cost to be protected by a superpower. At least England still has an effective military for the most part. If it was up to Trump he would say fuck NATO. We bear the cost of protecting Europe and get shit on by Europe for doing it. I am encouraged that Trump seems more bluster and really wants to avoid conflict from what I can see.

Dontero

Banned
Iran clearly provokes US. Look at this land in such close position to US bases:

dsds.jpg

That was my first thought as well.
Sounds like a ridiculous amount of money. The business of war is highly lucrative.

It doesn't, military contractors are fleecing the shit out of it.

That is drone in question. It is eseentially full blown plane specialized for spying filled with expensive spying hardware.

190620082300-01-rq-4-global-hawk-file-exlarge-169.jpg

AnotherOne

Dear Iranians please sit your punk ass down.. with your 1960 era technology do you really want f22 and b2 over your head and tomahawk missile's fuckin you in the ass?

Top Bottom