• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irdeto (Denuvo) unveils unreal engine protection file integrity verification to deter game modification.

Pelao

What will even be the point of PC gaming then if you can't mod the games to fix the developers' retarded decisions?

Zoloft

Banned
Legit question. I've been out of PC gaming for years now, but has Denuvo slowed the rate of piracy at all?
Actually, they did help a lot.
Probably the PC market growth in recent years has nothing to do with it.

But it did help to prevent the days of games from getting released 15 days before the official lunch day on torrent sites.
plus some cheap ass ppl from developed countries were focred to buy the actual games
instead of waiting sometimes 3 years before the game gets cracked.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
On a more serious note. Sailing the high seas, seems to be a lot less fuss to get stuff working vs. the stuff you actually paid for.
Nope. take it from an ex pirate who now mostly buys games, the juice isnt worth the squeeze unless you REALLY hate the publisher or can't justify the purchase. Losing steam workshop, online and cloud saves is too much for me.

That being said, fuck Denuvo and Epic for this.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As a PC gamer that thoroughly enjoys modding: Fuck any and every single player game that uses this.

And the developer and publisher. Top to bottom. Fuck every single one of you.
This tech in the hands of publishers wrecks a big reasons one would ever buy PC’s over consoles… sigh :(

I guess I can't figure out publishers.

Baldur's Gate 3 can be obtained DRM free even on GOG on launch date.

Meanwhile, more obscure games like Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters has that Denuvo shit.

So I'll buy the games and then play a cracked copy, gotcha.

Not even sure that will work tbh, the crack makers goal is not to fully remove protection, only stop it from working, sigh.
You don't buy the game, you own a revocable digital access to a copy of the game protected by DRM.

Pejo

The only real answer to this is if gamers refuse to buy games that have Denuvo added. Unfortunately as we've seen time and time again, gamers will eat whatever shit you put on their plate and have zero integrity or resolve. In other words, if this catches on, we're fucked.

Imagine the hubris of not letting people mod their own single player games. Cheating in multiplayer games notwithstanding.

Braag

I'm sure this will do wonders to Unreal Engine's performance which is already struggling from low end to high end machines.

[
From what I heard, only around half or maybe less than half of the games with Denuvo have been cracked, so if that's true then yes, it has slowed the rate of piracy.
Actually, they did help a lot.
Probably the PC market growth in recent years has nothing to do with it.

But it did help to prevent the days of games from getting released 15 days before the official lunch day on torrent sites.
plus some cheap ass ppl from developed countries were focred to buy the actual games
instead of waiting sometimes 3 years before the game gets cracked.
If this is the case, what reason do they have to stop? There will always be a war on stealing, so it may as well be half a war from their perspective.

Last edited:

Jetpac

I agree with everyone but this might actually be good for online games and cheating. Assuming it doesnt impact performance and it does in fact block any attempts of data modification like cheats, then that might just make me return to online gaming.

You understand (most) cheating is done on a kernel level with memory manipulation?

This ain’t gone stop that good sir. But they want you to think it will.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Legit question. I've been out of PC gaming for years now, but has Denuvo slowed the rate of piracy at all?

After ConsPiracY went under 0xEmpress is pretty much the only group that can actually crack Denuvo but "she" doesnt crack games unless she reaches the donation threshold for said game, or just really dislikes the company then she does week 1 cracks.
So yeah for Denuvo games their first year sales are almost certainly being helped along.

Hudo

Can't wait for shit like "I can't update my game, there's an error and now the game's bricked and I have the reinstall/redownload all 150GBs again" to be posted on Twitter at future game launches that incorporate this piece of shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom