• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 4K enough for you? Should the gaming industry pursue higher resolutions for PS6-XB? And what's the limit?

When do we hit the diminishing returns point in resolution terms?

• 1440p

Votes: 85 20.1%

Votes: 209 49.4%

Votes: 38 9.0%

Votes: 1 0.2%

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Resolution should always increase no matter what

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • It will always depend on screen size/viewing distance

Votes: 57 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raploz

PS5 lists compatibility with 8K displays, and Xbox Series X is technically capable of outputting 8K as well. 8K displays are already available for consumers for quite some time and the industry won't ever stop trying to sell us new stuff.

A lot of people said 1080p was good enough when 4K displays came out, and now we see people complaining, in this very forum, that it's a shame that Dying Light 2 could "only" run at 1080p 60fps on the newest consoles.

We won't see 8K become mainstream this generation, but do you believe it will happen at some point in the next one? If that happens, do you believe that's a good or a bad thing? And how do you feel about 4K? Is it enough or is there still room for significant improvement in the resolution department?

At what point does it stop making sense to pursue greater screen resolutions?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
8K?
please-no-michael-scott.gif

When 8k tvs become custom, games should be native 4k then reconstructed to 8k if the game needs extra power for its rendering. Or to achieve 8k120.

But if a game doesn’t have full ray tracing or it’s a racer/fighter, native 8k will be a treat. Think Forza horizon 8 with no TAA - Ultra crisp image quality. Maybe native 8k will finally kill basic bitch TAA.

Personally, I couldn’t care less what the ps6 games render at because i’ll have moved on to PC no doubt.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Yes, 4k is a very good resolution, that is quite close to make pixels invisible. Sure, they could push it till 8k, and pixels would finally be totally invisible (so there would be no need to push resolution any further), but since consoles are closed and limited in specs, I feel that keeping resolution at 4k and using the increased horsepower to improve rendering quality would be the best choice. That would make a huge jump in quality. And since next gen will have many more features that will improve efficiency (like AI rendering, DLSS like tech, and so on...), the jump can be even greater.
Resolution increase has anyway to come to a stop once pixel dimension will fall below perception threshold.

LordOfChaos

Gods no they shouldn't go higher yet. Hell I don't want our GPU gainz spent on native 4K if 1440p with an advanced reconstruction looks close enough that I'd have to pixel peep to tell. 4K is still a sort of difficult target in a lot of games especially where also trying to do 60+fps.

Realistically whenever costs cross over and TV makers want to sell us the next thing we'll see a big marketing push for 8K, but consoles should just stick to doing 4K 60+ consistently on everything for the next generation and spend the extra processing power on more advanced textures and effects, not just pushing more pixels.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Gods no they shouldn't go higher yet. Hell I don't want our GPU gainz spent on native 4K if 1440p with an advanced reconstruction looks close enough that I'd have to pixel peep to tell. 4K is still a sort of difficult target in a lot of games especially where also trying to do 60+fps.

Realistically whenever costs cross over and TV makers want to sell us the next thing we'll see a big marketing push for 8K, but consoles should just stick to doing 4K 60+ consistently on everything for the next generation and spend the extra processing power on more advanced textures and effects, not just pushing more pixels.
There is also the fact that 8k displays would be pretty meaningless due to lack of native 8k sources. Even movie digital masters are 4k, so only new productions could create 8k sources, but all the old productions would just receive an upscale. It could take many and many years before 8k productions would exist in some significant amount to justify 8k marketing.

I mean,
More pixels need more size or it's not very noticeable.
Higher texture samples however would be better.
For me, a screen like that new G8 NEO is the peak experience for me.
Enhancing fidelity can be done without upping the res

Pidull

4k is more than enough. I literally can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on my 50 inch TV due to viewing distances in my living room (probably gonna upgrade to 75-80" as such).

PC should maybe go up to 8k, considering viewing distance.

Seems like we are struggling to achieve 4K resolution, so I think shooting higher than that wouldn’t be a good idea for most developers. 4K is good enough for me for awhile to be honest.

xPikYx

4k dlss is enough already, I don't think more than 8k native is needed to achive better results over resolution for image quality up to 70 inches TV, for me 4k dlss is already enough on a 55 inches considering it upscales even further

Fahdis

After 8K there will be no need for AA with AI input. I think 8K should remain the standard and thats about it. 8K 300+ FPS should be the standard in the next 10 years. I'd also like a magic lamp as well.

Rockman33

Weird to see people pick 1440p when 4K clearly looks better.. the rest is hard to imagine since we haven’t seen it. I feel like 4K is great as is but 8k whenever we end up getting there will be the sweet spot.

I’ve seen 4k on a 120” projector screen. I would say that at seated distance and 120” 4k is plenty.
Sitting close to monitors at a desk with your eyes only a foot or 2 away I need to see 8 k in person to judge.
Never seen a 8k anything yet.

clem84

Gold Member
In the past when I played games in 720 or 1080, I somtimes thought, "yeah more would be better". But 1440p is the first resolution I tried where I felt I honestly would never need anything beyond that to enjoy games. Since more pixels is more taxing, yeah I think having nothing beyond 1440 would be better.

Last edited:
When everyone and their grandma is sitting close to an 85" screen we need 8K. Entirely depends on viewing distance and screen size.

I think at this point it's become pretty clear that improving resolution doesn't yield the same amount of gains in the visual department as, say, cranking up post processing, texture filtering, level of geometric detail etc. A turd in 4K still looks like a turd in 8K.

aclar00

Each console generation should essentially be a half step behind on native resolution tech.

With that said, PS6 should be able to hit true 4k at 60FPS as the base and be able to hit higher with FPS and other sacrifices.

PS3 was essentially a 720p machine that could hit 1080p (i think), PS4 could hit 1080p more consistently, PS5 is really a 1440p machine IMO, with PS6 coming in to hit 4K with limited 8k capabilities but not 8k 60fps....but i hope im wrong and i hope there is tech that makes hit resolution much more efficiently as to not drain gpu usage.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Raw 4k is still jaggy af. It’s not enough.
But with dlss? Perfect. I don’t feel we need more

Ozzie666

Doesn't matter what I want, the cost of producing AAA software to actually take advantage of current day resolutions is already out of control. We are getting to the point where games are going to cost as much as some countries GDP.

Long as the Switch is around to keep things real. Current 1440p and 4k are more than enough. The industry can't even keep pace with development and costs.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not sure if it ever makes sense to stop. People want the best they can get. When 8k is standard, people will complain games ‘only’ run in 4k etc. etc.

For me personally I’d prefer devs focus on making the games run well. I’d choose higher frame rate over resolution most of the time, if I had to. But if I can get a game at 60fps in 8k I would obviously choose that over the same game but in 4k.

Last edited:

ABnormal

More resolution means better quality, there is nothing except resolution to show off a game.

Amirite?
So you say that minecraft at 8k is graphically better than, say, Crysis at 1080p? That's just nonsense. Resolution is just adding clarity, but clarity is just one of the aspects o graphic quality, and definitely not the most important.

Kagey K

Banned
So you say that minecraft at 8k is graphically better than, say, Crysis at 1080p? That's just nonsense. Resolution is just adding clarity, but clarity is just one of the aspects o graphic quality, and definitely not the most important.
Nope resolution is all that matters.

A game at 8 billion res is going to look better than one at 720p.

Doesn't matter how many frames per second.

1 fps for a great looking game is better than 60 fps on an ok one.

sn0man

The NES focused on giving us 60fps experiences. They mostly got there. Since then we’ve had a steady diet of resolution increases from 256x240p now all the way to 3840x2160p.

Along the way we lost ground on temporal resolution and got stuck in a 30fps morass.

Let’s have a generation come that focuses on 120fps as the aspirational goal and 60fps as the “crappy” minimum spec.

Last edited:

Vick

It should always increase no matter what. People would be fine with 720i if they never knew shit could look way better. Dont just settle.
Probably the dumbest take i've ever read on this matter, no offence.

The resolution race is what killed true picture quality for years.. it's like saying smartphone's 108 MP cameras are better than 7.1 MP professional ones. Absolutely ridiculous.

Black Levels, Gamma, Contrast Ratio, Color Accuracy and motion resolution are much more relevant for a good viewing experience on a consumer TV set.
The reason behind a 1080p KRP-500M looking something like a million times better than 99.9% of 4K LCD you can find at Best Buy.

You mentioned 720i.. this is a 720p panel:

Recorded at 480p on a phone from a decade ago.. but yes, you can see pixels on hair when getting closer, the horror.

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart.png

viewing_distance.jpg

Act according to these charts and you'll be fine.

Lower resolutions are the reason UE5 Demos look the way they do on the current gen machines.

"It should always increase no matter what. Dont just settle."

By demanding this all you're doing is asking to settle for basically the same graphics we have now for decades to come.. just to not see pixels while your nose is attached to the screen.

AI upscaling is the future and what the Industry should focus on, because 4K internal rendering resolution is more than enough for regular domestic viewing.

Last edited:
Personally, I couldn’t care less what the ps6 games render at because i’ll have moved on to PC no doubt.
You care enough to post. :)

I think 4 k is fine. I have a 55" TV and it looks great. In my uninformed opinion higher resolutions only make sense if the screen size increases as well. But to be fair a couple of years ago i said that 1080p is enough. What do i know what i want in 6 years. :)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’m sure we would all love to see increases in resolution as long as everything else improves with it.
we could all sit here and say we don’t want it, which I would be happy to stick with 1440p/4k with amazing looking games, but I know for A fact if s9meone showed me a native insane looking 8k game running on an insane native 8k display at like 60fps minimum 8 would blow my load.

I think we all know how resource h7ngry that would be in the back of our minds so we would prefer the horsepower was directed somewhere else instead of raw resolution.

Kagey K

Banned
When 8k tvs become custom, games should be native 4k then reconstructed to 8k if the game needs extra power for its rendering. Or to achieve 8k120.

But if a game doesn’t have full ray tracing or it’s a racer/fighter, native 8k will be a treat. Think Forza horizon 8 with no TAA - Ultra crisp image quality. Maybe native 8k will finally kill basic bitch TAA.

Lol "I'll be playing on my 1070 because I can't find a card, but poor console pheasants paying less than me to have thier games."

Top Bottom