• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 4K enough for you? Should the gaming industry pursue higher resolutions for PS6-XB? And what's the limit?

When do we hit the diminishing returns point in resolution terms?

• 1440p

Votes: 85 20.1%

Votes: 209 49.4%

Votes: 38 9.0%

Votes: 1 0.2%

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Resolution should always increase no matter what

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • It will always depend on screen size/viewing distance

Votes: 57 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Akuji

4k has enough picture information. It is not yet sharp enough / stable enough for me.
I think 4k or 6k as render target will be good enough for everything when watched on a display like today. With those native renders going into an upscaler to make the picture more stable and correct errors in geometry etc in an output picture of 8k/16k is what i see as the future.
More then 16k will be very hard to sell me. I expect 8k to be good enough but for ease of mind i could see myself opting for 16k knowing that my eyes are the limiting factor.

G-Bus

Banned
Having just got my new Tv coming from a 15 year old set. 4K is rediculous. My wife was saying it's almost too much haha.

4K is good. Maybe they can use that extra power to improve other things outside of image quality.

JeloSWE

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart.png
This chart is a bit naive. I sit 2-3m from my 75" TV, I use it as both as a monitor for work and for entertainment and with a full chroma 4:4:4 signal it's a VERY big difference between 1080p and 4K. I've also experienced a 8K 75" TV and it's only just makes a difference when you are viewing thin sharp graphics like text on screen. 4K is plenty unless I were to get a larger TV at the same seating distance. Again the chart is not quite honest. It's probably more based on viewing TV shows or movies that often are a bit soft to begin with. Even then, looking at true 4K videos (not the typical Marvel/Hollywood's movies that uses 2K DI and then upscale for release and being falsely labeled as 4K) still does make a difference from my seat.

Last edited:

Zug

Resolution isn't even in the top ten of graphical settings that make things look good.
AI reconstruction even looks better that native res now, at the same render target.
Sony did well with their marketing, and they will certainly push 8k when they can so they can sell some TVs.

We should stick to 4K until we begin to see the norm of 4k60 with RT and at the very least comparable settings to the PC medium/high. Pushing more pixels will just lead us to visual stagnating at the expense of being sharper, but 4k to 8k is really just diminishing returns to true and pursue as a norm.

supernova8

Banned
If Gran Turismo 7 was 1080p with AA then we'd probably get all the bells and whistles.
I still find it funny how the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X started aiming for 4K (or fake 4K in many cases) when the original PS4 and Xbox One couldn't even hit 1080p60 for most of the "big" games. They weren't running 1080pAnything in many cases. They were just like "fuck it we'll release a half-way house instead".

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Look, I have a PC that has a 5700 XT in it. It can get up to 1440P at 60 to 120 fps with Freesync Premium on my 4K CX Oled. I went for the 48 inch model. I have a desk spaced back enough that it looks great. I just bought this in 2021. I hope the TV lasts me for years. 8k or above barely interests me now for the simple fact current consoles, and even my current PC can't handle 4k 60-120 yet. I will get my next GPU for my PC later this year or next. Then I will be able to enjoy 4K 60-120 for many more years. So for me 8K or above within the next 5 years or more is a waste of time.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Whatever is the display's native resolution first and foremost. Some upscaling/reconstruction techniques are great, but key word here - some, and the lower the native render the worse the end result, so as of today native res is the only solution that gives 100% guaranteed sharp, crystal clear image without any artifacts, blurring, ghosting etc.

Secondly - the bigger the screen the bigger the resolution needs to be. On a 5" smartphone everything more than 1080p is basically useless, whereas on 55" going from FullHD to UHD is a huge noticable jump, and with 75-85" screens becoming standard in the nearest future, 4K won't be enough for next consoles.

And thirdly - it all depends on the games, because some titles simply don't deserve 4K let alone more, given how low res the textures and VFX are anyway, it just actually exposes how underwhelming those aspects are, whereas other games already benefit from 8K because that's how many tiny details are there and 4K is just not enough to expose them.

On a personal note, I'm pretty sure next consoles will once again chase unrealistic expectations a.k.a. 8K and will once again fail delivering it, current hardware already doesn't handle 4K well, and I'd personally love if this generation stayed in this semi-cross-gen state, with games made specifically for PS5/XSX but still on current engines, like UE4 with very detailed visuals, sharp image and 60FPS.

TonyK

Well my TV is 43” Samsung 4K TV and the room I play my games is not big so I relatively sit close to my TV when playing games.
In my case, but I can understand it can be different for you, when I had a 45" Sony TV, 2k was enough. But a year ago I changed to a 65" LG oled and now those same 2k seems blurry at that size 😪

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my case, but I can understand it can be different for you, when I had a 45" Sony TV, 2k was enough. But a year ago I changed to a 65" LG oled and now those same 2k seems blurry at that size 😪
I like beautiful visuals but in my case I value aesthetics way more than raw graphical power.

Roxkis_ii

4k is almost overwhelming. It's hard to even notice the how detailed things are, especially in motion.

I think 4k is good enough.

Hoddi

Display resolution is less important than rendering resolution, in my opinion. A clean 1080p image with proper supersampling can easily look better than a jaggy 4k image with crappy or no AA.

That said, I think 8k display resolution will be the end goal. I play many older games downsampled from 8k and the difference can be quite visible even on my 27" monitor. It's nothing worth sacrificing framerate for though.

lukilladog

It should always increase no matter what. People would be fine with 720i if they never knew shit could look way better. Dont just settle.

C´mon man, we have audiophiles already, human eye has a limit and 4k is already pushing it on normal daily usage scenarios.

luffie

For gaming, I'd say running 4k would be enough for me.

But as an artist, no. 8k or even 16k, as sharp as possible to real-life to create all that juicy details.

lachesis

I'd be happy with 4k, but at much higher fps at 120 to 240fps.
I can't really tell much difference above 720p at moderate screens size at normal viewing distance.... but whatever to help motion blur w/o introducing input lag or darkening the screen brightness would be great too.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm personally fine with 1440p. Resolution will always increase though, as it gets you to buy something. 8k will be the norm here shortly.

JackMcGunns

The transition should pretty much look like this:

Seventh Gen: 720p mostly trying for 1080p, but rarely
Eighth Gen: Finally consistently hitting the 1080p mark with only the tougher games at 900p
Ninth Gen: Again trying for the next level (4K) but games are mostly scaling with native res at 1440p or lower.
Tenth Gen: Finally consistently hitting the 4K mark with some games aiming higher with scaling.

ClosBSAS

4k has aleady proven to be a waste of resources...1440p 60fps should be this gens focus with awesome looking games...next gen we can 4k native 60fps...

Yoboman

They should be pushing 1440p with high graphics fidelity this gen. Let mid gen upgrades push it to 4k

Make 4k the standard next gen and mid gen can push to 8k etc

Tg89

focus on framerate and general performance. graphics reached a good enough point a while ago.

if your game doesnt run at at least 60fps these days you've got your prioritized wrong.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I still have a 12-13 year old 32inch 720p TV (sitting 3 meters away from it, so whatever, it's fine), and for my PC I use a 27 inch 1440p ProArt monitor, so yeah, 4k is more than enough for me.

But to be honest, I stopped caring about graphics in the mid 00's. That's, for me, the point where graphics got 'good enough' and everything extra is just icing on the cake. As a kid and teenager I loved fancy graphics though.

I got a SANYO 1080p 55 inch as a High School graduation present about 17 years ago and it’s still going strong. It survived 2 marriages, 2 children and 7 moves, one completely across country in the backseat of my car.

The picture quality is the clearest 1080p I’ve ever seen.

I respect it too much to upgrade until it dies.

I’m going to give it a Viking funeral in the lake at the town park and watch her burn before the cops arrive.

Fuck, I love this TV. 4K be damned.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Aiming for a high grid of native pixels is a waste of resources with reconstruction and temporal upscaling getting increasingly better over time.

Last edited:
Resolution Is Going To Far Exceed Anything We Have Today Currently!! Just Because You May Not Find It Useful Doesn't Mean Much In The Grand Scheme Of Things And Eventually We Will Need Hardware That Goes Far Beyond Anything Today Currently For Resolution!! Thankfully It Will All Be Ran From The Cloud In The Near Future Anyways!!

Azurro

Banned
There's already a small perceived jump when going from 1440p to 4K. Going all the way to 8K would be an incredibly stupid waste of resources. Let's stick to reconstructed 4K and focus on increasing ray tracing performance, better rasterisation performance and faster virtual memory instead.

Last edited:

Barakov

PS5 lists compatibility with 8K displays, and Xbox Series X is technically capable of outputting 8K as well. 8K displays are already available for consumers for quite some time and the industry won't ever stop trying to sell us new stuff.

A lot of people said 1080p was good enough when 4K displays came out, and now we see people complaining, in this very forum, that it's a shame that Dying Light 2 could "only" run at 1080p 60fps on the newest consoles.

We won't see 8K become mainstream this generation, but do you believe it will happen at some point in the next one? If that happens, do you believe that's a good or a bad thing? And how do you feel about 4K? Is it enough or is there still room for significant improvement in the resolution department?

At what point does it stop making sense to pursue greater screen resolutions?
They shouldn't even think about 8k until a majority of games can hit 4k. Right now most games are still making sacrifices to hit something that even resembles 4k.

I still think most games should be focusing on 1440p 60fps.

skneogaf

Linus has a 8k 88" £30k lg oled and he says it really is just better anti aliasing than an equivalent 4k screen of similar size, he has a 77" 4k lg oled so I take his word for it.

But

I have a 48" 4k oled, 65" 4k oled and a 83" 4k oled and have said that the 48" has the best picture to friends that have asked. Obviously due to the smaller pixels so definitely stick to the charts for distance on opinions but I think 4k 120hz should be the goal of everyone for a long time.

Last edited:
Why would I not want the option for as many Ks as I can get? Good developers will make the responsible choice when choosing how to optimize their game.

Technology marches forward!

WitchHunter

Banned
PS5 lists compatibility with 8K displays, and Xbox Series X is technically capable of outputting 8K as well. 8K displays are already available for consumers for quite some time and the industry won't ever stop trying to sell us new stuff.

A lot of people said 1080p was good enough when 4K displays came out, and now we see people complaining, in this very forum, that it's a shame that Dying Light 2 could "only" run at 1080p 60fps on the newest consoles.

We won't see 8K become mainstream this generation, but do you believe it will happen at some point in the next one? If that happens, do you believe that's a good or a bad thing? And how do you feel about 4K? Is it enough or is there still room for significant improvement in the resolution department?

At what point does it stop making sense to pursue greater screen resolutions?
why do ppl need more resolution? they want to wank on protagonist babes' arsehair in fine detail or wtf? 1080p for all and fuck off!

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
How many games were actually properly 1080p consistently last gen? Most employed some sort of DRS - is there some sort of comparison?

Provided we get 1440, I'm happy with the below priorities:

Frame rate
Post processing
Asset quality
Animations
Higher res
1440p is barely any better than 1080 unless you use good aa, ch etc

It will always be about screen size and view distance. Always. That said, at 4K resolution there isn’t much room for improvement on this front - id much rather see advancements in other visual areas. Lighting and other details can really go a long way to improve image quality without needing to blow all the processing power on extra pixels.

Dream-Knife

Banned
1440p is barely any better than 1080 unless you use good aa, ch etc
480p - 720p is a 300% increase in pixels.
720p - 1080p = 225%
1080p - 1440p = 178%
1440p - 2160p = 225%
2160p - 4320p = 400%

1440p is considered a sweet spot with tech right now because it is a noticeable increase to 1080p, while keeping frame rate high. Assuming PS6 and Xbox Series X one X^2 Final Prologue are 4 times as powerful as PS5 and series X, you'll have 8k 30 next gen.

Valkyria

Banned
The same messages than in 2006. “My Trinitron 480p is more than enough”.

Resolution will continue to increase until dpi is so high we cannot tell them apart in front of our eyes. The question is if that is 16k or 32k.

Top Bottom